Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Interesting Info on the NCAA Rules and the No Huddle

Started by Le Hogtre, June 22, 2006, 12:06:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Le Hogtre

I asked a question of the Refs on the Hogville First Down forum about the No Huddle and the NCAA rules.  I thought you all might be interested in how the No Huddle offense migh tbe affected by NCAA rules.

Here is my question:

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php/topic,62258.msg794820.html#msg794820

Here is ncaajf's response:

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php/topic,62258.msg795603.html#msg795603

Thanks for the great information ncaajf!

ClubChubby

So does that siginificantly decrease the effectiveness of the hunh?

piglett06

June 22, 2006, 03:07:10 pm #2 Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 03:14:03 pm by piglett06
It doesn't matter as the hurry up is not what powers Coach Malzahn's offensive strategy entirely. He is still going to take what the defense gives him and the defense will still have to commit their intentions hurry up or no. For sure though with the ump standing over the ball and the Hogs standing on the line of scrimmage ready to go it will put pressure on the defense. Doesn't leave much time for the defense to analysis the offensive alignment so the defense will be able to readjust as might be necessary. Its a little like grabbing for the brass ring.

Le Hogtre

It sounds to me like the "hurry up" part of the HUNH is largely removed due to NCAA rules and it becomes the "no huddle".

HatfieldHog

Quote from: piglett06 on June 22, 2006, 03:07:10 pm
It doesn't matter as the hurry up is not what powers Coach Malzahn's offensive strategy entirely. He is still going to take what the defense gives him and the defense will still have to commit their intentions hurry up or no. For sure though with the ump standing over the ball and the Hogs standing on the line of scrimmage ready to go it will put pressure on the defense. Doesn't leave much time for the defense to analysis the offensive alignment so the defense will be able to readjust as might be necessary. Its a little like grabbing for the brass ring.

Keeping the defense from getting their "rotations" done once in a while is the real goal of the "No Huddle."  It really matters with D-lineman, that they get their rotations on the side line.  They work harder than anyone on the football field, and if they are a little winded, we get an immense advantage.  That, coupled with a little confusion, and it helps us.

Can't wait to see it in action.          See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

Pork Twain

I totally agree with the DL point.  Switching out WR and CB is one thing but it takes those big boys a while to waddle off the field.  Having DM, FJ and PH shoved down you thraot and not getting a sub would flat wear you out.  Seems like a key for us getting our OL in good enough shape.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Le Hogtre

Quote from: HatfieldHog on June 22, 2006, 10:53:45 pm
Quote from: piglett06 on June 22, 2006, 03:07:10 pm

Keeping the defense from getting their "rotations" done once in a while is the real goal of the "No Huddle."  It really matters with D-lineman, that they get their rotations on the side line.  They work harder than anyone on the football field, and if they are a little winded, we get an immense advantage.  That, coupled with a little confusion, and it helps us.

Can't wait to see it in action.          See ya

Oh, so I guess we are two deep in the O-line but LSU, Auburn, Tenn, and Bama are not two deep on their D-line?

I am pretty sure those teams rotate their d-lines more often than we ever think about a rotation of our O-line.

Based on the rules, they are aloud time to substitute every time we do as well.