Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

USA World Cup Soccer....Fire Arena

Started by HogBaptist, June 22, 2006, 11:08:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HogBaptist

I don't watch soccer at all.  I don't even know who this guy Bruce Arena is.  I do know that he didn't get his players ready.  It seemed like the Ghana players knew every pass that US was going to do.  They were a step behind the whole time....

Also, our players just suck.  Keep in mind I don't watch soccer, but I could just tell when they would do bad things.  They don't know how to pass, and they make stupid decisions on when to shoot the ball.  It seemed like they would just take a shot from anywhere.  No patience. 

Bruce also needed to get more speed on the team.  We had 4 or so players that could keep up with Ghana.  Every player on Ghana was very very fast.  Also, heart may have had something to do with that. USA has no heart.  Ghana has major heart.  They gave everything they had on every play.  Great job Ghana!!

These are all things that the coach has influence over.  Fire Arena.....

LA HAWG

It is clear to me that dale was at fault for the US poor performance.  The lack of fresh legs for game three proved fatal. 

idochog

Im blame HDN too,

Its also Markuson's fault too, since the US couldnt "pass"

LOL,
I love Jesus!

El Dog Hog

How bout we blame landon. Or Eddie Johnson. Thats why he hasnt been playing. He did nothing when he got in the game. We should have left Chingy surfing in Hawaii and Wolff in KC and brought Conor Casey and Twellman.

And I got mad until I read that post about someone who knows nothing about the beautiful game. So a quote like that is ignorant and blames the coach.

Patch

Why is it that every team in every sport that I enjoy has a joke for a head coach. (exception: DVH, John Mc)

Nutt, Heath, Arena (just recently).

Come to think of it. If I ever become a coach, karma will definately come back to bite me in the ass, cause I sure do complain about coaching a lot.  :D

LA HAWG

Quote from: El Dog Hog on June 22, 2006, 11:17:26 am
How bout we blame landon. Or Eddie Johnson. Thats why he hasnt been playing. He did nothing when he got in the game. We should have left Chingy surfing in Hawaii and Wolff in KC and brought Conor Casey and Twellman.

Who? ???

jvegashawg

And I got mad until I read that post about someone who knows nothing about the beautiful game. So a quote like that is ignorant and blames the coach.

Donovan was a non factor just like he was against the Czechs.  He played well against Italy and that's the best game the US played.  Arena deserves blame as well as far as I'm concerned.  His game plan was way to conservative against a gambling Ghana team. 

El Dog Hog

Quote from: LA HAWG on June 22, 2006, 11:19:37 am

Who? ???

Those are 2 strikers. But of course since ESPN didnt do a highlight on them I wouldnt expect you to know them.

LA HAWG

Quote from: jvegashawg on June 22, 2006, 11:25:14 am

Donovan was a non factor just like he was against the Czechs.  He played well against Italy and that's the best game the US played.  Arena deserves blame as well as far as I'm concerned.  His game plan was way to conservative against a gambling Ghana team. 

How can anyone expect a person that looks like Dave Matthews to be good at sports.  He looks like a beer drinking frat guy.

ozarksuperfrog

i agree with you...good post.
2 Corinthians 5:17

LA HAWG

Quote from: El Dog Hog on June 22, 2006, 11:26:36 am

Who? ???

Those are 2 strikers. But of course since ESPN didnt do a highlight on them I wouldnt expect you to know them.

What are strikers?

pseudorabies

Quote from: LA HAWG on June 22, 2006, 11:27:41 am
Quote from: El Dog Hog on June 22, 2006, 11:26:36 am

Who? ???

What are strikers?

I think welders use them to light their torches.

El Dog Hog

Quote from: LA HAWG on June 22, 2006, 11:27:17 am

How can anyone expect a person that looks like Dave Matthews to be good at sports.  He looks like a beer drinking frat guy.

Your right I just woke up this morning and turned on the game. I havent played soccer my whole life and have honors and awards to go with that. But anyways.

There is only so much bruce could do. 4-5-1 was our best thing b/c we only have 1 good striker. So knowing that Bruce tried to control the midfield, and we played well. So anyways, why dont you argue with some knowledge of the game instead of a U5 player and hurle insults. B/c thats classy and shows everyone how much you really know.

LA HAWG

Quote from: El Dog Hog on June 22, 2006, 11:31:44 am
Quote from: LA HAWG on June 22, 2006, 11:27:17 am

Your right I just woke up this morning and turned on the game. I havent played soccer my whole life and have honors and awards to go with that. But anyways.

There is only so much bruce could do. 4-5-1 was our best thing b/c we only have 1 good striker. So knowing that Bruce tried to control the midfield, and we played well. So anyways, why dont you argue with some knowledge of the game instead of a U5 player and hurle insults. B/c thats classy and shows everyone how much you really know.

Come on man I am just joking around.  Chill out.  8)

uofajoe99

Those are the guys that are suppose to be putting the ball in the back of the net....I think Arena's game does mirror Nutt's in some way. Lets play good prevent and hope that someone on their side makes a mistake and we can win it late.....We had no offensive mo the whole tournament....Blame LANDON, REYNA, BEASLEY, THE REFS, ARENA, blame them all.....We had a chance to do something this year and we came out flat. Maybe next time around we will push the ball onto our side a little.....

El Dog Hog

Poeple like you are why people hate message boards. B/c you just run your mouth and not know anything about 95% of the stuff you are talking about. And then when you get called out on it, 'my bad I was just playing.' So basically you are here to pile on. Good job dude. Way to have something better to do.

HOGLUVIN

Game #19 and Donovan STILL does NOT have an international Goal.

Where's the talent?

Cornhogio

Our players need to develop overseas.  MLS is not going to work.  Very few up and comers, mostly has beens from around the world that can't get a decent gig elsewhere.  I think they said 18 of 23 of our players were from MLS.  We're never going to compete on a world stage if we get our players from what equates to a AA minor leage.

Society is responsible for the night that it produces.

dmbeatles14

Quote from: HogBaptist on June 22, 2006, 11:08:43 am
I don't watch soccer at all.  I don't even know who this guy Bruce Arena is.  I do know that he didn't get his players ready.  It seemed like the Ghana players knew every pass that US was going to do.  They were a step behind the whole time....

1st of all...Anyone who gets the bulk of his/her argument from the world cup live crew (Wynalda Especially)is a joke.  Bruce Arena is touted world wide as one of the best coaches in the cup, and has a good chance of going overseas to do just that.  The team did lack heart against the Czechs and lost some enthusiasm with the PK at the end of the half, but its the biggest sporting event in the world and all you as a player must do is step it up and put some effort into the match, I guarantee that every one of the 11 guys who stepped out onto the field 2nd half knew the Italy score...what else could be said by Coach, president, God to get you more into it.
  If anything is Arena's fault it is letting certain players (Donovan, Beasely) be too overconfident and cocky going into the match.  Although he called Donovan out for being just that before the Cup even started.  
  As captain of a squad, as Donovan was for the majority of the match, it is YOUR duty to keep your guys up and make the on-field changes that are necessary.  Do you expect Bruce to pull out a megaphone or send in a reciever with a playcall?  Last time I checked a coach's voice, a hoarse one at that from practice and 2 previous matches, can't reach all 11 men on the field in front of thousands of screaming fans.  Beckham has taken criticism for not doing the same for an England squad that actually does lack direction on the bench.

What are strikers?  They are the guys who are supposed to score goals, Eddie Johnson, who everyone was/is calling for Bruce's head about is a striker, and one who played poorly against the Ghanains.  Not being able to find his touch once he stepped onto the pitch(field for the soccer illiterate), and staying in an onside position are major disadvantages to those who play striker.  
RoJo for 06'

Le Hogtre

It seemed that the US players weren't physically strong enough.  They looked like a bunch of marathon runners. Ghana's players looked like they could play American football. 

Also, we didn't even give the ref a chance to give a makeup call in Ghana's penalty box.

jvegashawg

The US was an own goal away from being 0-3.  Instead they wound up being a stellar 0-2-1.  Arena's the coach.  He's going to take some flack, no matter how good people worldwide think he is.

yraciv

It was a bs call on the foul late in the first half.  That completely screwed the momentum twist.  Arena is a moron for only using one forward.  We used a defensive formation the whole tournament with an offensive minded team.  Donovon, Beasley, and Johnson played poorly and some guys shouldn't have even been there. Bocanegra, Olsen, and Dempsey were looked on to me as bright spots.  I don't like Keller, but there isn't much validation behind that point.  That being said Twellman, a great offensive player, should of been there.  We didn't scout and the stars didn't lead, and that is why we're going home. Congrats to Ghana! I find it humorous that we lost to the land where Adu came from.

LA HAWG

Quote from: El Dog Hog on June 22, 2006, 11:38:08 am
Poeple like you are why people hate message boards. B/c you just run your mouth and not know anything about 95% of the stuff you are talking about. And then when you get called out on it, 'my bad I was just playing.' So basically you are here to pile on. Good job dude. Way to have something better to do.

If you hate message boards why are you on one.  I do know quite a bit about real sports and that is why I am on here.  I am sorry that nobody cares about your "game".  Get over it.  Just face the fact that NOBODY CARES ABOUT SOCCER!!!

dmbeatles14

Quote from: LA HAWG on June 22, 2006, 12:07:42 pm

If you hate message boards why are you on one.  I do know quite a bit about real sports and that is why I am on here.  I am sorry that nobody cares about your "game".  Get over it.  Just face the fact that NOBODY CARES ABOUT SOCCER!!!

Dude never said he hates message boards, he said people do.  When was it a fact that nobody cares about soccer?  LMAO.  You are ignorant to a sport regardless of how much you know about "real" sports and your responses indicate this.  Guess what...we still have another 2 weeks of the beautiful game so that people like you keep getting chances to understand and appreciate it, whether or not you choose to remain in the dark is up to you, but I'm sure the rest of the millions of NOBODYS who are going to watch the tournament will enjoy it.  The world's having a party, you're invited.  If ya don't want to come then you can piss off.
P.S.   You obviously cared enough to post your opinion and show your ignorance about the sport.
RoJo for 06'

Buck Ocean

Oh gosh.....where do I start?? I agree with virtually every post on this thread.

I was sayin put Johnson in when he was on the bench, and put Beasley in after he was demoted....but looks like I was wrong...to a degree.  I thought they gave us our best chance with what we had goin into this thing.

Arena has no winning record for a National team.  Give me a successful coach.  I don't care if he's foreign or local.  A proven winner is a start.

QuoteOur players need to develop overseas.  MLS is not going to work.  Very few up and comers, mostly has beens from around the world that can't get a decent gig elsewhere.  I think they said 18 of 23 of our players were from MLS.  We're never going to compete on a world stage if we get our players from what equates to a AA minor leage.

Touchdown Arkansas!!!!

Quote1st of all...Anyone who gets the bulk of his/her argument from the world cup live crew

Oh my!!!!

Think like a Jedi

LA HAWG

Quote from: dmbeatles14 on June 22, 2006, 12:17:40 pm
Quote from: LA HAWG on June 22, 2006, 12:07:42 pm

Dude never said he hates message boards, he said people do.  When was it a fact that nobody cares about soccer?  LMAO.  You are ignorant to a sport regardless of how much you know about "real" sports and your responses indicate this.  Guess what...we still have another 2 weeks of the beautiful game so that people like you keep getting chances to understand and appreciate it, whether or not you choose to remain in the dark is up to you, but I'm sure the rest of the millions of NOBODYS who are going to watch the tournament will enjoy it.  The world's having a party, you're invited.  If ya don't want to come then you can piss off.
P.S.   You obviously cared enough to post your opinion and show your ignorance about the sport.

Oh let me rephrase that, NO AMERICANS CARE ABOUT SOCCER!!  BTW, MMQB is for discussing RAZORBACK SPORTS, go discuss this on the Soccer forum.  Oh, wait, there isn't one.  Wonder why?

dmbeatles14

Quote from: Buck Ocean on June 22, 2006, 12:19:10 pm
Arena has no winning record for a National team.  Give me a successful coach.  I don't care if he's foreign or local.  A proven winner is a start.

Many have been saying Germany's coach, Jergan Klinsmann, who resides in Cali and is in love with the states is a leading candidate for the job, which Arena has hinted at retiring from before the cup started.  Klinsmann has also been spotted at a few US training sessions while they were in Cali.
RoJo for 06'

cmh_hog

Dont we have a place for threads about soccer, isnt it called the trash can?

Soccer is like gay rodeo, yep its a sport but when it comes down to it the only people that care are .....

Call Mr. Sow

June 22, 2006, 12:24:44 pm #28 Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 12:32:24 pm by Call Mr. Sow
Quote from: El Dog Hog on June 22, 2006, 11:31:44 am

You seem pretty full of yourself.  Just how difficult is it to win honors and awards in a sport nobody in America gives a Shiite about?  I imagine with about 2 weeks practice, anybody could become #10 in the US in air rifle or bocci.

dmbeatles14

Quote from: LA HAWG on June 22, 2006, 12:21:55 pm
Oh let me rephrase that, NO AMERICANS CARE ABOUT SOCCER!!  BTW, MMQB is for discussing RAZORBACK SPORTS, go discuss this on the Soccer forum.  Oh, wait, there isn't one.  Wonder why?
I'm not the one who started the thread you could report it to a moderator, and i'm sure if it's justified he'll move it to where it belongs.  I noticed you were the second one to find and reply to this post still justifying that you cared about it, so there goes the idea that no americans care about soccer unless...you're not American?
RoJo for 06'

dmbeatles14

Quote from: Call Mr. Sow on June 22, 2006, 12:24:44 pm
 I imagine with about 2 weeks practice, I could become #10 in the US in air rifle or bocci.
Good for you, I think you should hop right on that, when you're on ESPN and ESPN2 at the same time doing just that will you wave at the camera for me and give me a lil thumbs up?

RoJo for 06'

LA HAWG

Quote from: dmbeatles14 on June 22, 2006, 12:27:55 pm
I'm not the one who started the thread you could report it to a moderator, and i'm sure if it's justified he'll move it to where it belongs.  I noticed you were the second one to find and reply to this post still justifying that you cared about it, so there goes the idea that no americans care about soccer unless...you're not American?

My question is this, How can a game that can go for 90 minutes with no timeouts end in a zero zero tie.  At least in real sports there is a winner decided on the field in the same manner the regulation goes.  When these bafoons can't score they put them right up close to the goal to decide who can kick better.  I would rather watch paint dry or grass grow.

Call Mr. Sow

Quote from: dmbeatles14 on June 22, 2006, 12:31:14 pm
Good for you, I think you should hop right on that, when you're on ESPN and ESPN2 at the same time doing just that will you wave at the camera for me and give me a lil thumbs up?

If the US has another cup like this one, and if we manage to secure our borders, the next world cup will be on the Ocho.

dmbeatles14

June 22, 2006, 12:35:00 pm #33 Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 12:39:38 pm by dmbeatles14
Quote from: LA HAWG on June 22, 2006, 12:31:30 pm
My question is this, How can a game that can go for 90 minutes with no timeouts end in a zero zero tie.  At least in real sports there is a winner decided on the field in the same manner the regulation goes.  When these bafoons can't score they put them right up close to the goal to decide who can kick better.  I would rather watch paint dry or grass grow.
Once again, still caring to post, this young man proves my point for me...since we're talking about american sports how about that all-star game bud seilig decided to end in a tie b/c he didn't want to hurt the pitcher's arms?
RoJo for 06'

uofajoe99

Why are people who don't care about futbol coming on here and derailing this post? If you don't care, don't click. Those people should be sent to the trash..

LA HAWG

Quote from: dmbeatles14 on June 22, 2006, 12:35:00 pm
Once again, still caring to post, this young man proves my point for me...

Is that all you have.  You are starting to sound like a broken record.  I would like a real answer as to why you think Soccer is so "beautiful"?

Call Mr. Sow

Quote from: uofajoe99 on June 22, 2006, 12:35:25 pm
Why are people who don't care about futbol coming on here and derailing this post? If you don't care, don't click. Those people should be sent to the trash..

I think the deal is...these guys are out there wearing "USA" on their jerseys and playing like darn.  I may not be a soccer fan, but when the people representing my country are standing in front of billions of people around the world and dropping their trousers, I care.  Honestly, I'm no fan of futbol, though I did give it more of a chance than it deserved, but if the US team is going to perform like this on the world stage...I'd rather they failed to qualify.

dmbeatles14

Let's see if the same logic applies when some words are edited...
Quote from: Call Mr. Sow on June 22, 2006, 12:39:23 pm
I think the deal is...these guys are out there wearing "Hogs" on their jerseys and playing like Shiite.  I may not be a basketball fan, but when the people representing my team are standing in front of thousands of people in America and dropping their trousers, I care.  Honestly, I'm no fan of basketball, though I did give it more of a chance than it deserved, but if the Hogs are going to perform like this on the NCAA tournament stage...I'd rather they failed to qualify.
RoJo for 06'

dmbeatles14

Sounds like a losing attitude to me...
RoJo for 06'

LA HAWG

Quote from: dmbeatles14 on June 22, 2006, 12:45:04 pm

We can all see how credible you are when we read your signature line.  Enough said.

fire_hog

LA Hawg, I'm have never been a huge soccer fan, but I've watched more matches in the past week than I have all my life. It is very much an enjoyable game to watch if you give it a chance. I think I'm starting to understand some of the finer points in the game, and I'd liken it to baseball. Can a 2-0 pitcher's duel be entertaining? You betcha, especially if you know the game. Matter of fact some real baseball fans enjoy this more than those 10-7 steroid slugfests that are so common today.
   You have to admit, it's pretty arrogant to believe a game 4 BILLION people love sucks just because you don't understand it.
In a coaching business so full of phonies who talk character only to bend the rules, who consider the definition of discipline a player's weight-room attendance, who wouldn't dare pull something like this because it might hurt recruiting, here's Joe Pa, four decades on the job and not giving a damn. Except about what's right. - Dan Wetzel, Yahoo Sports

LA HAWG

Quote from: fire_hog on June 22, 2006, 12:52:56 pm
   LA Hawg, I'm have never been a huge soccer fan, but I've watched more matches in the past week than I have all my life. It is very much an enjoyable game to watch if you give it a chance. I think I'm starting to understand some of the finer points in the game, and I'd liken it to baseball. Can a 2-0 pitcher's duel be entertaining? You betcha, especially if you know the game. Matter of fact some real baseball fans enjoy this more than those 10-7 steroid slugfests that are so common today.
   You have to admit, it's pretty arrogant to believe a game 4 BILLION people love sucks just because you don't understand it.

I was just joking around but then I started getting attacked so I attacked back like any good soccer team would do ;)  I guess I am just too hyper or something to enjoy Soccer.  I don't like to watch baseball either.

maniax22bolts20

An absolute disgrace to the USA this team was. Today ,I spit to say it, was worse than losing to Iran in 1998.

Call Mr. Sow

Quote from: dmbeatles14 on June 22, 2006, 12:45:04 pm

The guy asked why I was in a thread about futbol when I don't care for the sport and I explained it. 

I would love for the Americans to keep working and get good enough to humiliate the world in this stupid sport they care so much about, because I'd like to poke most of the rest of the world with a stick and tell them to suck it.  But if we can't put out better effort than what we have, then Frank it.  It's the same reason I don't plan on going on American Idol.  I suck at singing, so why embarass myself in front of millions of people.  As for that being a losing attitude...well, I sure hope that losing attitude doesn't infect our valiant and triumphant soccer squad.  That'd be a disaster, huh? 

dmbeatles14

Why is soccer beautiful...its the simplest, yet can be the most complex game.  Whether its 2 players and a ball, or 11 v. 11 with goals, there's always a challenge to overcome.  When someone watches soccer with passionate fans, they cannot help but be filled with the passion of those around him (i.e. I was in Fayetteville watching the Italy match with some friends, and i cat walked in who had never enjoyed the game and enthusiastically watched the end of the match with us.  After it was all over with a big smile he stated, "I never should have come over here that was way too tense.").  It takes individual intelligence to know where to be on the field at what time, and to know where you're teammates will be 2 seconds later.  It takes team intelligence to set up free kicks, and divulge a strategy during the game that will best fit your opponents style.  All of this and we've yet to begin to delve into the physical side of the game.  When was the last time YOU LAhawg, you ran, jogged, jumped, suddenly stopped or turned, kicked, shoved, and thought about things at the same time for 2 consecutive 45 minute stretches with a 15 minute break in between while you are still mentally analyzing the match?  There are parts of the game that are not enjoyable such as the dives, the acting after fouls and so forth but these are also parts of most major sports.  Most of all i believe that the feeling of being part of the group is what enthralls the true fans of the game, at a recreational, club, or international level.  Why did you watch the US game...I guess you wanted to be part of, or at least feel what the rest of the world is experiencing right now.  I'm sorry your(our) team is out but its no reason to hate the whole game for it. This is why soccer is beautiful to me.  Although I'm not the one who named it the "beautiful game," and i'm sure others have different opinions on why its beautiful, which they are entitled to.  My question to you is what's not beautiful about it?
P.S. the Brazilian women don't hurt the name beautiful game either. ;)
RoJo for 06'

Call Mr. Sow

Quote from: dmbeatles14 on June 22, 2006, 12:44:19 pm
Let's see if the same logic applies when some words are edited...
Quote from: Call Mr. Sow on June 22, 2006, 12:39:23 pm
I think the deal is...these guys are out there wearing "Hogs" on their jerseys and playing like Shiite.  I may not be a basketball fan, but when the people representing my team are standing in front of thousands of people in America and dropping their trousers, I care.  Honestly, I'm no fan of basketball, though I did give it more of a chance than it deserved, but if the Hogs are going to perform like this on the NCAA tournament stage...I'd rather they failed to qualify.

The precious difference here is that I AM a fan of basketball.  I want us to compete in basketball.  And if we aren't any good at basketball, I want us to work hard and get better.  On the other hand, I wouldn't want the UA to devote substantial resources to competing hard in hockey.  Especially if the rest of the SEC was both 1)  really really good at hockey and 2) really cared about the sport and watched our games.

LA HAWG

Quote from: dmbeatles14 on June 22, 2006, 01:05:32 pm
Why is soccer beautiful...its the simplest, yet can be the most complex game.  Whether its 2 players and a ball, or 11 v. 11 with goals, there's always a challenge to overcome.  When someone watches soccer with passionate fans, they cannot help but be filled with the passion of those around him (i.e. I was in Fayetteville watching the Italy match with some friends, and i cat walked in who had never enjoyed the game and enthusiastically watched the end of the match with us.  After it was all over with a big smile he stated, "I never should have come over here that was way too tense.").  It takes individual intelligence to know where to be on the field at what time, and to know where you're teammates will be 2 seconds later.  It takes team intelligence to set up free kicks, and divulge a strategy during the game that will best fit your opponents style.  All of this and we've yet to begin to delve into the physical side of the game.  When was the last time YOU LAhawg, you ran, jogged, jumped, suddenly stopped or turned, kicked, shoved, and thought about things at the same time for 2 consecutive 45 minute stretches with a 15 minute break in between while you are still mentally analyzing the match?  There are parts of the game that are not enjoyable such as the dives, the acting after fouls and so forth but these are also parts of most major sports.  Most of all i believe that the feeling of being part of the group is what enthralls the true fans of the game, at a recreational, club, or international level.  Why did you watch the US game...I guess you wanted to be part of, or at least feel what the rest of the world is experiencing right now.  I'm sorry your(our) team is out but its no reason to hate the whole game for it. This is why soccer is beautiful to me.  Although I'm not the one who named it the "beautiful game," and i'm sure others have different opinions on why its beautiful, which they are entitled to.  My question to you is what's not beautiful about it?
P.S. the Brazilian women don't hurt the name beautiful game either. ;)

I'm not mad at you dude.  I know you are suffering in your cause.  To be honest with you I would take a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader over a Brazilian Soccer fan any day of the week.  But hey, to each his own.

dmbeatles14

Didn't say you were mad at me, you sincerely asked why I thought the game was beautiful and I directly answered you.  If you can't handle being named in the response to your own question I wouldn't ask it.  I'm still waiting for the rebuttle on why the game isn't beautiful.
RoJo for 06'

hawg1978

Quote from: dmbeatles14 on June 22, 2006, 12:27:55 pm

You watch HDN's offense dont you? 

LA HAWG

Quote from: dmbeatles14 on June 22, 2006, 01:12:26 pm
Didn't say you were mad at me, you sincerely asked why I thought the game was beautiful and I directly answered you.  If you can't handle being named in the response to your own question I wouldn't ask it.  I'm still waiting for the rebuttle on why the game isn't beautiful.

Who said I couldn't handle being named in your response.  Get real dude.  What are you going to post about tomorrow when nobody is talking about soccer?