Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If we beat USC.... (only on one drive)

Started by Arazorbackguy1, June 21, 2006, 06:26:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Arazorbackguy1

Does it automatically discredit our win because they are "having a down year?"   I can just imagine the excuses Corso and Herbsmoker would have for them if they lost to the hogs!  :razorback:
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Rooka

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on June 21, 2006, 06:26:33 pm
Does it automatically discredit our win because they are "having a down year?"   I can just imagine the excuses Corso and Herbsmoker would have for them if they lost to the hogs!  :razorback:
Good Point.  If USC beats us everyone will call them great and say they will have another fantastic season.  If we do slip up and beat them, then everyone will say that USC is rebuilding and can't possibly be as good as they were.  A lose/lose situation if you ask me.

GrizzledHogFan

Does it automatically discredit our win because they are "having a down year?"   I can just imagine the excuses Corso and Herbsmoker would have for them if they lost to the hogs!  :razorback:

If we're the only team, or one of two (maybe even three) teams that beats them, I'd say we'll get lots of credit for it.  If they somehow manage to lose half of their games, then it wouldn't mean much.
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

ste4236

Quote from: Death by Hog on June 21, 2006, 06:30:40 pm
Good Point.  If USC beats us everyone will call them great and say they will have another fantastic season.  If we do slip up and beat them, then everyone will say that USC is rebuilding and can't possibly be as good as they were.  A lose/lose situation if you ask me.
I like ya'lls points, but what if we went on to beat USC and then win the SEC West? ::prays:: I think Mustain, McFadden, Williams, Bailey, and MAYBE even Norman could turn the Hogs into an NCAA offensive powerhouse; atleast within 2 years.

"Cajun King"

Student at Colorado State University

AZHog

That will be a partial truth, but the Hogs must continue winning to convince anyone that it was not only a dropoff by SC, but improvement by Hogs too.

Rooka

Quote from: ste4236 on June 21, 2006, 06:37:07 pm
I like ya'lls points, but what if we went on to beat USC and then win the SEC West? ::prays:: I think Mustain, McFadden, Williams, Bailey, and MAYBE even Norman could turn the Hogs into an NCAA offensive powerhouse; atleast within 2 years.
I agree with that also, but what I meant was if we slip up and beat USC and go on to a 9-3 season, people will take it as no big deal.  Lord lets hope we are a powerhouse in 2 years.  :razorback:

bigred7987

I thought about that....You know people will say..USC is down trying to illegitimize our win

VoR

I can deal with us winning and everyone saying USC is having a down year, especially if USC wins the PAC-10.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

MrSpook1352

Quote from: the_birdman on June 21, 2006, 07:45:49 pm
Does it automatically discredit our win because they are "having a down year?"   I can just imagine the excuses Corso and Herbsmoker would have for them if they lost to the hogs!  :razorback:
I can deal with us winning and everyone saying USC is having a down year, especially if USC wins the PAC-10.

That sounds good, but since we play them first, no one will give us credit for beating the Pac 10 champ - we'll be forgotten by the end of the season unless we follow up a win over USC with a lot more.  But IF we win over USC and 9 other teams (I think we should beat 8 or 9 of the other 11 opponents) then we'll get some credit.

GuvHog

Quote from: Death by Hog on June 21, 2006, 06:43:34 pm
I agree with that also, but what I meant was if we slip up and beat USC and go on to a 9-3 season, people will take it as no big deal.  Lord lets hope we are a powerhouse in 2 years.  :razorback:

If the Hogs Beat Southern Cal, You can forget about a 9 - 3 Season.
It'll be a Whole lot Better!
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Rooka

Quote from: GUVHOG on June 21, 2006, 07:59:09 pm

True.

Richard_white

Did your anonymous sources say that? lol just messing with you.  Only way we beat USC is on the video game.

Porkerpower

Rooka

Quote from: Richard_white on June 21, 2006, 08:03:20 pm

Did your anonymous sources say that? lol just messing with you.  Only way we beat USC is on the video game.
As a matter of fact did that twelve times this week.  ;D What do the critics have to say about them Trojans now!  ;)

RhodeHog

rzrbaxfan

Herbstriet will give credit where it is due.  If we beat them and its not by some fluke thing, ESPN will likely follow us...until we do something stupid like lose to Vandy.   I fear that more than anything...big win to USC then go 4-4 in conference...a'la 2003.

OklaU

I've been saying this all along. 

USC wins = They're still pretty good
USC lose = They're rebuilding
"Just because you had the last word, doesn't make it anymore true."

Richard_white

Quote from: rzrbaxfan on June 21, 2006, 08:56:13 pm
Herbstriet will give credit where it is due.  If we beat them and its not by some fluke thing, ESPN will likely follow us...until we do something stupid like lose to Vandy.   I fear that more than anything...big win to USC then go 4-4 in conference...a'la 2003.

Agree.  I believe USC is in the top 5 in pre season polls.  If we beat USC we beat a top 5 team. 

Rooka

Quote from: Richard_white on June 21, 2006, 08:58:42 pm
Herbstriet will give credit where it is due.  If we beat them and its not by some fluke thing, ESPN will likely follow us...until we do something stupid like lose to Vandy.   I fear that more than anything...big win to USC then go 4-4 in conference...a'la 2003.

Agree.  I believe USC is in the top 5 in pre season polls.  If we beat USC we beat a top 5 team. 
An Arkansas win should get credit and not excuses for USC, If they are rebuilding who cares! Their rebuilding team is still in the top 5 and if we win we should get all credit.

ste4236

Quote from: Porkerpower on June 21, 2006, 08:04:07 pm
Who's this "Bailey"? 
Dan Bailey. Freshman grey-shirt kicker from Mustang, OK. I've been following him since my freshman year in HS, he was the best in Oklahoma last year; better than our (Jenks) kicker, Woodward, in my opinion. He went to school and played 8-man ball at Southwest Covenant in Yukon, OK. From talking to Dan, apparently he's been doing the best out of any of the guys. It really doesn't surprise me, he is a stud.

"Cajun King"

rzrbaxfan

QuoteAn Arkansas win should get credit and not excuses for USC, If they are rebuilding who cares! Their rebuilding team is still in the top 5 and if we win we should get all credit.

I'm not disagreeing with that.  If we win, we will get credit.  But that is not the only game on the schedule.  Say we pull the upset...If we go on and suck in SEC play, we will fade right back out.  If USC goes 11-1, they will be in the BCS.  It all depends on what we do with it.

casken

If we beat them I'll be one happy camper and won't care who else gives 'em credit!  I'll be one happy hog fan!
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

ste4236

OK- how about this... If we beat USC, will the goal posts come down?

"Cajun King"

rzrbaxfan

QuoteOK- how about this... If we beat USC, will the goal posts come down?

Will you help me climb up on the cross bar? ;D

ste4236

Quote from: rzrbaxfan on June 21, 2006, 09:17:16 pm
QuoteOK- how about this... If we beat USC, will the goal posts come down?

Will you help me climb up on the cross bar? ;D
If you pull me up with you after I give you the boost!

"Cajun King"

Buff

What if we turn out to be one of only 1 or 2 teams to beat USC, but then turn around and have another 2003 season?

rzrbaxfan

QuoteQuote
OK- how about this... If we beat USC, will the goal posts come down?

Will you help me climb up on the cross bar?

If you pull me up with you after I give you the boost!

DEAL!

QuoteWhat if we turn out to be one of only 1 or 2 teams to beat USC, but then turn around and have another 2003 season?

What I've been saying this whole thread....4-4 in SEC play we'll see Liberty

cityhog

ummm..here's one.  We most likely won't have to worry about this scenario, because it is HIGHLY unlikely we beat USC.

ste4236

Quote from: cityhog on June 21, 2006, 11:18:28 pm
ummm..here's one.  We most likely won't have to worry about this scenario, because it is HIGHLY unlikely we beat USC.

-1 for the pesimistic attitude. You know... they say optimists live longer.

"Cajun King"

Richard_white

Quote from: ste4236 on June 21, 2006, 11:30:13 pm
Quote from: cityhog on June 21, 2006, 11:18:28 pm

-1 for the pesimistic attitude. You know... they say optimists live longer.

There is nothing wrong for being realistic.

ClubChubby

A win over usc gets us in, or close to top 25. That would be great!

Baghdadhawg

I guess we shouldn't play the game then, nothing to gain after all.  Sure would be 72,000 happy fans in RRS though!

hogfan13

Re: If we beat USC.... I will run down Razorback Road without my shirt

and we will see this guy

Atreyu

I think if we stay close to USC we should be proud. We're playing a powerhouse here. Even if they're having a down year, or a "rebuilding" year, they're still a national powerhouse. They do still have the best person on the field--Pete Carroll. You can't deny it.

If we stay within 14 points, I'll be content. A win would be icing on the cake.
1 by 1, we loaded our guns
up on the mountain all day
and all through the night
HEYHEYHEY

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Quote from: bigred7987 on June 21, 2006, 06:54:57 pm
I thought about that....You know people will say..USC is down trying to illegitimize our win
Well you know what you do about that?  You win the next game... and the next... and the next... and eventually people will stop doubting.

Pork Twain

Well said.  They cannot discredit all of our wins.  We just have to win.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

GuvHog

IF the Hogs Beat USC, You'll hear the Rest of the SEC Swallow REAL HARD and say ,
UH- OH! THEY'RE BACK!

WILL CLINTON

There is no scenario in my mind where this Arkansas team beating a USC team would EVER be a lose/lose situation. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: GUVHOG on June 22, 2006, 10:51:42 am

IF the Hogs Beat USC, You'll hear the Rest of the SEC Swallow REAL HARD and say ,
UH- OH! THEY'RE BACK!

Back???  From where???? We have only been to the SECCG 2 times in 14 years.  I would hardly think that means we were ever somewhere to come back from. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

HogHillbilly

Damn GOVHOG, you could'nt have wrote anything more perfect !
Pain heals.......Chicks dig scars.......Glory lasts forever.......GHG

GuvHog

Quote from: dubyacee on June 22, 2006, 10:53:55 am
Quote from: GUVHOG on June 22, 2006, 10:51:42 am

UH- OH! THEY'RE BACK!

Back???  From where???? We have only been to the SECCG 2 times in 14 years.  I would hardly think that means we were ever somewhere to come back from. 

TRY 1998, the year the Hogs SHOULD have won the SEC.

rzrbaxfan

QuoteTRY 1998, the year the Hogs SHOULD have won the SEC.

But they were not.  If you get a chance to watch "In Their On Words" on the NFL network, there is one on the Mora's.  Jim Mora was coaching the Saints and they were terrible for several years.  Once they played San Francisco and nearly won but didn't.  Mora was irrate in the post game interview.  The fans and the reporters were excited about almost winning.  Mora said "this is the difference between them and us...they expect to win, we are happy if it's just close.  That attitude will never win championships."

Say what you want about Mora, but he is right.  'Should have' and 'doing it' are two different things.  Close losses count the same as whoopins.  Moral victories don't count towards bowl eligibility. 

Nutt has an awful record against the better teams in the SEC...and that is not just the past 2 years.  7-24 vs SEC teams that finish with winning SEC records, 2-4 against Bama when they finish above .500, no wins vs Florida, Ga or Vandy, home losses to every SEC school except Miss St, 2-4 in bowls....and in my opinion, the attitude of "oh but we were close" or "we should have done this" is a large contributor to that.

cbjagman

INMO let's worry about whether a victory over USC would or wouldn't be discredited AFTER we pull off the feat. I'll settle for a win over the Condoms any way I can get it. It would still count as a victory no matter what others might say or think.

PorkSoda

Anytime you beat a top five team, you'll get respect.  That would be a great way to start the season.  Think of the momentum we would carry into our SEC schedule

WPS!
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

ste4236

Quote from: GUVHOG on June 22, 2006, 11:07:03 am

O gawd, was that the game with Stoerner vs. Manning (Or was that 1997?)? My heart sunk when Stoerner tripped on 4th down... I remember it like it was yesterday and I was a huge Oklahoma State fan at that time.

"Cajun King"

GuvHog

Quote from: ste4236 on June 22, 2006, 03:27:21 pm
Quote from: GUVHOG on June 22, 2006, 11:07:03 am

O gawd, was that the game with Stoerner vs. Manning (Or was that 1997?)? My heart sunk when Stoerner tripped on 4th down... I remember it like it was yesterday and I was a huge Oklahoma State fan at that time.

1998 was T Martin, Peyton Mannings last Year i Believe was 1997. If I'm wrong,
would some please advize? Thank you.