Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Doing a study/survey - Windows Vista?

Started by Doug, June 14, 2006, 03:47:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug

Okay, for those that are UNEDUCATED, Windows Vista is the next version of Windows that Microsoft is putting out (Think of WIndows XP or Windows 9X, this is the next stage of operating systems).

For those of you using it, what do you think about it?

For those of you that have seen it and opted not to use it, what sucks about it?
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

fu-man-soo

Doug

--Doug

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Ross U (HDHF)

From what I've read and heard from others, it's similar to the jump from win95 to win98 (which for those of you who don't know, there isn't much of a difference).  Lot's of new features originally promised, but most have been cut now and they "will be released at a later date."  Riiight.... However, I haven't actually used it, so I can't give a users perspective.  I'll stay in my happy Linux/Mac world, thank you.

GrizzledHogFan

You can download beta 2 from Microsoft's site, or get them to mail you a copy, since the download is around 3.5GB (if I remember correctly).
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

GrizzledHogFan

Here's the site where you can download it. I was right.  It's 3.5GB for the 32-bit edition, and 4.4GB for the 64-bit.  It's an ISO file that you get, and you'll have to burn it to DVD to install it.

Ross U (HDHF)

Quote from: Cooper on June 14, 2006, 04:39:03 pm
Quote from: Douglas on June 14, 2006, 03:47:03 pm
For those of you that have seen it and opted not to use it, what sucks about it?

It's made by Microsoft.

I wasn't gonna say it, but since you did +1.

Jerry Swinefeld

I live in Mac world and commute to Hogville from there.  I'm happy here, and not looking to move.

Allister Fiend

Ugly Uncle

I have only used Mac since the came out in the 80's.  I have had a couple of laptops that weren't mac (because they were less expensive than Mac)...but always returned.  Especially since I use my Mac to make vids and stuff like that.

Have no real use for Microsoft stuff.
Retired Radio Host

Allister Fiend

I hate a Mac. Thank God the publishing businesses are finally starting to realize that a PC can do more than a Mac and they are converting. Many of the big publishing companies have made the move over the last year. Mac has sunk all of their money into the IPod and used Intel to get in on the PC market. They are trying to save themselves. That's why you are starting to see Mac advertising everywhere you look. It's sink or swim time.

Ross U (HDHF)

Quote from: Allister Fiend on June 14, 2006, 04:59:57 pm
I hate a Mac. Thank God the publishing businesses are finally starting to realize that a PC can do more than a Mac and they are converting. Many of the big publishing companies have made the move over the last year. Mac has sunk all of their money into the IPod and used Intel to get in on the PC market. They are trying to save themselves. That's why you are starting to see Mac advertising everywhere you look. It's sink or swim time.

Mac is like Nintendo.  It isn't going anywhere.  There's actually rumors that Mac is looking at buying Nintendo.  Oh, and it's about time Mac started advertising.  Linux is making a very hard push at the corporate world right now and Mac needs to keep up the pressure on M$.

Allister Fiend

Quote from: HopelesslyDevotedHogFan on June 14, 2006, 05:05:53 pm

Mac is like Nintendo.  It isn't going anywhere.  There's actually rumors that Mac is looking at buying Nintendo.  Oh, and it's about time Mac started advertising.  Linux is making a very hard push at the corporate world right now and Mac needs to keep up the pressure on M$.

I'm not saying I love Microsoft, but Mac is really falling behind. Nintendo sucks too, so those two will go great together. I think Linux rocks, but I don't see it ever taking over all the Windows business.

bald hog

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: Cooper on June 14, 2006, 04:39:03 pm
Quote from: Douglas on June 14, 2006, 03:47:03 pm

It's made by Microsoft.

Now that's a bit unfair.  Microsoft has a well-deserved reputation for making the most secure and reliable operating systems out there.

rightdp

Someone tell me how this thread is still here.  Give me a break.  This is a sports talk forum.  Aren't there other forums for geeks to discuss computers??

Doug

rightdp, there is a very specific reason for this thread staying here... and here it shall stay.  I will reveal my reasons after I'm satisfied with responses.

No one forced you to read this, no one forced you to reply.  Move on.
--Doug

werehog

Mac is like a Porsche -- nothing else comes close.

GrizzledHogFan

Here's an interesting article on c|net on the 5 best and worst things about Windows Vista.  My primary concerns about it are the rather stiff requirements to run the Aero interface.  The spotty drivers in the beta version also stink.

Ross U (HDHF)

June 14, 2006, 06:03:51 pm #19 Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 06:06:50 pm by HopelesslyDevotedHogFan
Quote from: bald hog on June 14, 2006, 05:29:37 pm
Mac = BetaMax

No, actually Sony = betamax (and blu-ray sadly)

Quote from: Allister Fiend on June 14, 2006, 05:09:22 pm

I'm not saying I love Microsoft, but Mac is really falling behind. Nintendo sucks too, so those two will go great together. I think Linux rocks, but I don't see it ever taking over all the Windows business.

Linux has a fair shot at gaining in the corporate server world, as linux servers are proving to be cheaper and more stable than M$ servers.  Now, where it will go from there, I can't predict, but it might migrate from a corporate landscape to a home user landscape.  Not that any of this matters b/c we can both still use it. :)

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: werehog on June 14, 2006, 05:49:49 pm

That may actually be a very good analogy, and not necessarily for the reasons you think.  A Porsche is very good at certain things, but it's not very practical for a multitude of tasks.  Windows, while not without its flaws, has a vastly superior variety of software.

Ross U (HDHF)

Quote from: gmb_79 on June 14, 2006, 06:08:05 pm
Quote from: werehog on June 14, 2006, 05:49:49 pm

That may actually be a very good analogy, and not necessarily for the reasons you think.  A Porsche is very good at certain things, but it's not very practical for a multitude of tasks.  Windows, while not without its flaws, has a vastly superior variety of software.

True enough, but it costs money which is why I use linux...same variety (minus gaming :( ) but it's all free! :) I'm going to stop posting now...

ClubChubby

I've got a 64 bit processor, so am patiently waiting for a 64 bit OS. I'd love to try linux, but it doesn't work with most modems, in fact they charge 20 bucks a year for the drivers to make it work on dialup. Which defeats the idea of free linux. Doesn't microsoft have another 64 bit OS coming out soon?

Oh yeah, and one of ms new OS was named, spit, Longhorn, at one point. Is vista the former longhorn?

Ross U (HDHF)

Quote from: ClubChubby on June 14, 2006, 06:18:21 pm
I've got a 64 bit processor, so am patiently waiting for a 64 bit OS. I'd love to try linux, but it doesn't work with most modems, in fact they charge 20 bucks a year for the drivers to make it work on dialup. Which defeats the idea of free linux. Doesn't microsoft have another 64 bit OS coming out soon?

Oh yeah, and one of ms new OS was named, spit, Longhorn, at one point. Is vista the former longhorn?

Yes vista is the former longhorn.  Linux works for free with everything but dialup as far as i know.  If you have dialup, you're in my prayers.  There is an XP-64.  And 64-bit linux is not for the faint of heart.  Tons of driver issues, but that is *slowly* changing.

Razorback Ranger

Yes the launch name is vista

Razorback Ranger

Zen_Hog

I guess I'll wait for the real version of Vista rather than download the beta version.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: Jerry Swinefeld on June 14, 2006, 04:52:21 pm
I live in Mac world and commute to Hogville from there.  I'm happy here, and not looking to move.
you and me both
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Boss Hogg

Hogs = Mac
Rest of SEC = Windows

see if you can figure that one out

turbo2000

Quote from: HopelesslyDevotedHogFan on June 14, 2006, 04:24:26 pm
I'll stay in my happy Linux/Mac world, thank you.
Smart.

What I find strange, AT&T developed UNIX for networking. Linux is based on UNIX. MS-DOS and Windows were developed for a stand alone PC. All of us using Windows now are using it to network.
A friend was an expert back in the day running MS-DOS. It never bothered him when he had to run a command more than once. The first time he used a Mac he wanted to break it to prove it was no better than DOS. He gave up after 2 weeks. Went back to his PC and crashed it in less than 20 sec. You may not like it, but one thing about a Mac is it just works.

razor22

Douglas, for me, it will come down to the video requirements.  I downloaded the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor, and was disappointed to find out that my nearly-new video card won't support Aero.  ATI and nVidia must be salivating.

Doug

Guess I'm lucky.  I've got an MSI Radeon 9500 (Dual Monitor Display capable)... should be able to support anything that microsplat throws out soon.
--Doug

rightdp

Quote from: Douglas on June 14, 2006, 09:53:55 pm
Guess I'm lucky.  I've got an MSI Radeon 9500 (Dual Monitor Display capable)... should be able to support anything that microsplat throws out soon.

oooooooooo.......ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh................wowwwwwww!!!!!!!   That's so impressive!!  Man, what I would give to be you!

GrizzledHogFan

June 14, 2006, 10:41:47 pm #33 Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 10:50:59 pm by gmb_79

Yeah, well my Geforce 6800 should work just fine as well.   8)

I've also got a Pentium D 930 3.0GHz processor, 1GB 533MHz DDR2 RAM, 2x160GB SATA-II 7,200rpm drives in a RAID 0, and a SoundBlaster X-Fi.  So there.

Sonofahog

Quote from: gmb_79 on June 14, 2006, 10:41:47 pm

I've also got a Pentium D 930 3.0GHz processor, 1GB 533MHz DDR2 RAM, 2x160GB SATA-II 7,200rpm drives in a RAID 0, and a SoundBlaster X-Fi.  So there.

I play table tennis on my Atari.  Jealous of that?
Proud son of the Hog punt returner in the video below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JFM2ht-O8c

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: stillahog on June 14, 2006, 11:09:20 pm
Quote from: gmb_79 on June 14, 2006, 10:41:47 pm

I play table tennis on my Atari.  Jealous of that?

You bet!

ClubChubby

Quote from: HopelesslyDevotedHogFan on June 14, 2006, 06:25:54 pm

Yes vista is the former longhorn.  Linux works for free with everything but dialup as far as i know.  If you have dialup, you're in my prayers.  There is an XP-64.  And 64-bit linux is not for the faint of heart.  Tons of driver issues, but that is *slowly* changing.

Ah ain't never usin' no damn texas windows!!

cmh_hog

Quote from: HopelesslyDevotedHogFan on June 14, 2006, 06:03:51 pm
Quote from: bald hog on June 14, 2006, 05:29:37 pm
Mac = BetaMax

No, actually Sony = betamax (and blu-ray sadly)

Quote from: Allister Fiend on June 14, 2006, 05:09:22 pm

Linux has a fair shot at gaining in the corporate server world, as linux servers are proving to be cheaper and more stable than M$ servers.  Now, where it will go from there, I can't predict, but it might migrate from a corporate landscape to a home user landscape.  Not that any of this matters b/c we can both still use it. :)

That will never happen... Linux will never take over enough market share to put a dent in MS server OS sales, just wont happen. Linux is a one off type server that is used very rarely in a corporate environment. Mainly for web servers and usually only for apps that run only on apache. I have yet to see any medium to large business run 50% of the servers with Linux as the OS, companies like that just dont exist.

Also MAC's.... Please.... If MAC's are the greatest thing ever and are far superior to PC's then why do they only have 5% of the market share. If they are so great wouldnt everyone want one? Wouldnt you think that would give them at least 10% of the market, but no .....

Let me tell you, Vista is freakin awesome, Vista server is probably the best product MS has ever brought to market. Couple that with the new Exchange server and the new release of SQL server, ISA, and Office and Microsoft's market share is going to be solid for at least the next 8 years. But maybe i am a little jaded since MS writes my paychecks and all...

dotnet

My laptop is about two years old (with updated RAM so its not quite so old feeling.) Is it feasible to download the beta version of windows vista and use that operating system instead of xp or would you only advise having both?  Will it mess me up to only use vista?  Thanks for the help...

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: dotnet on June 15, 2006, 10:04:48 am
My laptop is about two years old (with updated RAM so its not quite so old feeling.) Is it feasible to download the beta version of windows vista and use that operating system instead of xp or would you only advise having both?  Will it mess me up to only use vista?  Thanks for the help...

I wouldn't recommend using a beta OS as your primary OS, but maybe that's just me.  I've got it installed on one of my computers that I use just for playing around and testing things out.

Doug

It's also been confirmed that not all drivers will be available for Vista yet, ShadowMaster had problems getting his modem and phone drivers loaded, ended up reformatting and going back down to XP Pro.
--Doug

Doug

Okay, now we're confident in this study.

A few of us posted in the help forum that we couldn't start a thread in MMQB about something NOT related to the razorbacks and have it end up in Nutt bashing.  The closest we got to bashing was Mac vs PC, and even then it really didn't do much.

THAT was the study portion of this thread.

Thank you ALL for proving us wrong.  :)
--Doug

PorcineSublime

Quote from: turbo2000 on June 14, 2006, 08:43:34 pm
Quote from: HopelesslyDevotedHogFan on June 14, 2006, 04:24:26 pm
I'll stay in my happy Linux/Mac world, thank you.
Smart.

What I find strange, AT&T developed UNIX for networking. Linux is based on UNIX. MS-DOS and Windows were developed for a stand alone PC. All of us using Windows now are using it to network.
A friend was an expert back in the day running MS-DOS. It never bothered him when he had to run a command more than once. The first time he used a Mac he wanted to break it to prove it was no better than DOS. He gave up after 2 weeks. Went back to his PC and crashed it in less than 20 sec. You may not like it, but one thing about a Mac is it just works.
I hear this all the time and am puzzled by it. I wonder what these people are doing to crash their systems so often. Windows 3.11, that was the last time I got the "Blue Screen of Death". Maybe I just don't tax my system enough, but just don't see the horrible crashes that are discussed in every Windows vs. Mac war. Not saying you guys are lying, just don't think it is as prevalent as most think. I have been thinking of buying a Mac Mini, just because it has a coolness factor that is undeniable. If I do you will know this, my first stop on the net will be Hogville.net. WPS

BTW, for Douglas, Fire Nutt. ;) j/k
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

Biggus Piggus

Where do you get this complete garbage?
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Pig Newton on June 15, 2006, 10:16:34 am
Gotta say I'm impressed with the number of Mac-users here.  Count me in.  I have a G4 titanium powerbook, a G4 dual processor with dual 17" flat screens and two imacs.   

GO HOGS!

I have the 17-inch G4 PowerBook, a G5 desktop and an old iMac DV for the girls, who end up using the G5 because of its Logitech sound system.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: cmh_hog on June 15, 2006, 09:52:48 am
That will never happen... Linux will never take over enough market share to put a dent in MS server OS sales, just wont happen. Linux is a one off type server that is used very rarely in a corporate environment. Mainly for web servers and usually only for apps that run only on apache. I have yet to see any medium to large business run 50% of the servers with Linux as the OS, companies like that just dont exist.

Can you say....MySQL?????????????

Oracle's worst nightmare.

Linux will continue to gain share, because it puts the OS in its proper place...the bottom of the stack.

SOA, Web services, SaaS and so on...reduces need for OS bloat.  Makes it annoying, really.

If Microsoft thinks they're going to plop Media Player 11 down on everybody and let it suck in all their digital content...and control the push/pull of everything...they got another thing coming.  They'll have a huge task persuading Dell to install Media Player 11 in its boxes.  Dell has assembled a package of applications it wants to substitute, because Dell isn't going to let Microsoft further marginalize it in the relationship with the end user.

I have used Macs since the SE/30

http://www.lowendmac.com/compact/se30.shtml

because the applications are better in their Mac version than their Windows version in EVERY instance.

The Mac OS keeps changing but always has better toolkits that enable the Mac versions to always be a step or two ahead of their Windows counterparts.

I got a huge chuckle when Microsoft came out with the 97 "upgrade" of Office.  I "upgraded" my 95 Mac version by

1) save Windows Office 97 docs in template form
2) move them to the Mac
3) use them as templates for Mac Office 95 docs

Like magic!  All the new features of Office 97 appeared in my Office 95!!!!

Microsoft wouldn't have locked out those features from Mac Office 95 for a good reason, would they?  SLEAZY.

Equally sleazy is the FUD campaign Mister Softee is waging right now against Sony in the videogame business.  That's always been MSFT's way though.  Why the EU loves you guys sooooo much.

I don't know what's a bigger danger to Microsoft, the way SaaS reduces the frictional cost of new software adoption (thereby placing a premium on quality of code, something Microsoft has never wanted to be measured by), or business models like Google that could give away software just to keep users on their Web sites.  In the very near future, all the economic value is going to be in enabling transactions and capturing the identities of the people making them.
[CENSORED]!

Godfather

I have tried it and my Athlon 2400+ with a GIG of ram and a 9600xt video card doesnt run it well at all.  I was excited about this OS, but its REAL SLOW.   

Too bad..  Looks like more bloatware from Micro$oft.
WPS to the end.

Extra Point

I can't wait for my current PC laptop to die so I can ditch MS for good.

The security issues with MS are a joke and Winblows is a growing monster every time you open it that slows your machine down to a crawl.

And now that Mac will run all my PC based software such as Quickbooks, etc., MS can kiss my arse.

GrizzledHogFan

A couple of items this morning...

BP, what do you have against Media Player 11?  It's an excellent application.  I've also got RealPlayer, WinAmp, Monkey's Audio, and iTunes, and I prefer MP11 over all of them.  Couldn't say the same about MP10.

I mentioned this over in the Tavern, but some of you may have missed it.  There's a free, open-source OS currently under development called ReactOS.  It will supposedly be 100% Windows XP compatible when it's completed.  Check out http://www.reactos.com/ for more information.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

I love the PC vs. Mac new commercials....so true...

Mac rules baby..
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07