Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wanna talk about bad Karma ? ? ?

Started by Sao Ming, June 13, 2006, 01:01:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sao Ming

June 13, 2006, 01:01:22 pm Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 02:45:04 pm by Sao Ming
...this might just be the biggest jinx call in the history of Dallas sports...

Victory parade on boards for Mavs
Dallas: City plays the optimist, plans for 500,000 downtown

12:33 PM CDT on Tuesday, June 13, 2006
By DAVE LEVINTHAL / The Dallas Morning News

The Dallas Mavericks, of course, must win two more games to prevent their victory parade from getting rained on.

But Dallas police and city officials are busy preparing a parade anyway in anticipation of at least 500,000 NBA championship-crazed fans – and possibly many more – flocking downtown.

Dallas is up 2-0 against the Miami Heat in the best-of-7 championship series.

If the Mavericks were to win the series in four games or five, Dallas would kick off a victory parade June 20, said Celia Barshop, manager of the city's Office of Special Events. A Finals victory in Game 6 would push the parade to June 22, and a win in seven means it would commence June 26, she said.

The parade would begin at 11 a.m. for all scenarios, Ms. Barshop said.

The team would begin the milelong journey one block west of City Hall near Griffin and Young streets, according to the city's latest plan. Proceeding west on Young Street, the Mavericks would turn right at Houston Street, passing through the West End and underneath Woodall Rodgers Freeway until reaching Continental Avenue.

After turning left on Continental Avenue, the parade would immediately swing right onto aptly named Victory Avenue and travel north until reaching the Mavericks' home venue, American Airlines Center. The team would ride in trucks, although some might walk, Ms. Barshop said.

"We feel it's the best route for providing visibility to spectators," she said.

The city is asking fans to line up along the route no earlier than 8 a.m. to ease morning business commuters' travels. Six portable restroom banks will be installed along the route.

HogISH™

dallas has the bench adavantage and scoring advantage vs the heat. i was hoping for a better series but it's not to be..  the mavs might not have to play another game back in dallas the way it's looking now.

HogISH
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER   TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -|
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Hogville Trash Can Moderator - my theme song:

Isn't it rich, isn't it queer
Losing my timing this late in my career  And where are the clowns  Quick send in the clowns  Don't bother they're here.

GrizzledHogFan

Sao Ming, surely you don't actually believe in jinxes.  Anyway, they're just planning ahead.
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

Sao Ming

June 13, 2006, 01:16:19 pm #3 Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 01:20:53 pm by Sao Ming
I hope you are right form many reasons - if not, in lieu of the parade the citizens of North Texas will be participating in the largest mass city official stoning since, well, the history of stonings. 

Edit:  I do beleive in jinxes to some extent.  It happens every saturday and sunday of football season.  Maddening.  You know when the color guy spouts a stat re: consecutive made PAT's, carries without a fumble, INT's etc it's going to happen the next dang play.  If it wasn't for all of the revelry in the stands during the 86 Mets/Sox series Buckner would not have booted the dribbler.  I beleive that.

artyhog

If Miami does not find some scoring help for Wade and Shaq, the series is over.

Tomhog™

Good leaders plan ahead.  No one is trying to jinx anything.  They are just wanting to be prepared and not get taken by surprise with riots and like mayhem that have happened in other cities...

Sao Ming

Preparation IS key, i agree.  Kudos, whatever.  Do you have to leak it to the DMN on a Tuesday before a pivotal game 3, in Miami, where the Heat are 8-0 during the 2006 playoffs?  Hells no.  i too believe Dallas will win it all, but for goodness sakes do not tempt the Sports God's like this.

sitting out

Following a Razorback victory in the 1994 NCAA tournament national championship game thousands of Razorback fans flooded Dickson St.. It was complete madness and a whole lot of fun. Prior to our game with UCLA in the 1995 finals Fayetteville city leaders publicly announced plans to keep Dickson St. under control avoiding a repeat of 1994's madness. Police were posted, barricades were erected, the road was closed and nobody showed.

Sao Ming

June 13, 2006, 02:10:18 pm #8 Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 02:12:54 pm by Sao Ming
SEE !!!  I have been a Hog fan my entire life and I have never heard this story!  City leaders need to keep their holes shut when it comes to sports man.  Cost us a repeat.  Damn.

Sao Ming

Stupid ass karma.  Way to go Dallas city government.  Playing like schitt tonight.

GrizzledHogFan

Dallas leading 70-64 with 3:10 left in the 3rd.

oldfart

Most cities make plans like this. 

Quote from: Sao Ming on June 13, 2006, 01:01:22 pm

The Dallas Mavericks, of course, must win two more games to prevent their victory parade from getting rained on.

But Dallas police and city officials are busy preparing a parade anyway in anticipation of at least 500,000 NBA championship-crazed fans – and possibly many more – flocking downtown.

If the Mavericks were to win the series in four games or five, Dallas would kick off a victory parade June 20, said Celia Barshop, manager of the city's Office of Special Events. A Finals victory in Game 6 would push the parade to June 22, and a win in seven means it would commence June 26, she said.

The team would begin the milelong journey one block west of City Hall near Griffin and Young streets, according to the city's latest plan. Proceeding west on Young Street, the Mavericks would turn right at Houston Street, passing through the West End and underneath Woodall Rodgers Freeway until reaching Continental Avenue.

After turning left on Continental Avenue, the parade would immediately swing right onto aptly named Victory Avenue and travel north until reaching the Mavericks' home venue, American Airlines Center. The team would ride in trucks, although some might walk, Ms. Barshop said.

The city is asking fans to line up along the route no earlier than 8 a.m. to ease morning business commuters' travels. Six portable restroom banks will be installed along the route.

Sao Ming

Quote from: oldfart on June 13, 2006, 10:23:42 pm
Most cities make plans like this. 

Quote from: Sao Ming on June 13, 2006, 01:01:22 pm

I know that you oldfart (jk) but do they have to publish it in the largest newspaper in Texas before game 3??  Make the plans and leave it at that!

maniax22bolts20

Miami just Heated things up a bit. 2 point win 98-96. 18-4 run to close the game and win.

Sao Ming

If City Hall thought 500,000 protesting mexicans were a problem, wait till they see 3 Million pissed Mav fans converge to kick the living schitt out of them.

Ugly Uncle

Man, I thought this was going to be a thread where razorwire was going to have to hunt someone down and beat them up.

Whew

Go Mavs.
Retired Radio Host

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Sao, I thought the same thing when I saw this on the news...I wanted to punch the screen...WTH???????

It's not over.....by far.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Sao Ming

Notshavin, you know as well as i do you just don't F around with the Sports Gods.  Do you still have that USC ticket?

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: Sao Ming on June 13, 2006, 11:29:34 pm
Notshavin, you know as well as i do you just don't F around with the Sports Gods.  Do you still have that USC ticket?
Yes and Yes.  Actually, it is my buddies extra ticket and he only wants face value. 
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on June 13, 2006, 11:35:44 pm
Quote from: Sao Ming on June 13, 2006, 11:29:34 pm
Yes and Yes.  Actually, it is my buddies extra ticket and he only wants face value. 

It has had a "face lift" and now is worth 700 bucks...any takers? :)
Retired Radio Host

Sao Ming

I'm laughing right now looking at both of your most recent drivers license photos as avatars - I have a tremendous shot at being the best looking dude of the 4 ! 

Table Rocker

Today Dan Patrick said that Miami has had a parade route planned since before the playoffs, do you expect them to plan it in the two days after winning the title? Its not like parading down Dickson Street.

Sao Ming

I give up.  First oldfart, now this?  Read the *** string before you provide logic to me please - we lost, its late and i'm not in the mood to retrace old steps.

Table Rocker

why'd you start the "F'ng" thread then?

Table Rocker

Also, oldfart never mentioned that MIAMI planned a parade route/celebration, he said "most cities plan like this" I was reiterating that statement by saying the OPPOSING team did the same thing, there's your logic.

Sao Ming

The thread is there for YOU to read not for me to point out my premise(s) which is:

"Preparation IS key, I agree.  Kudos, whatever.  Do you have to leak it to the DMN on a Tuesday before a pivotal game 3, in Miami, where the Heat are 8-0 during the 2006 playoffs?  Hells no.  I too believe Dallas will win it all, but for goodness sakes do not tempt the Sports God's like this."  - Sao Ming - June 13, 2006 AND ABOVE FOR YOUR READING PLEASURE

Sao Ming

For those that don't believe in Sports God Smite please believe now.  For those who saw unsolicited Shaq and DWade interviews after the game last night they both mentioned this very story as a source of extreme motivation.  Karma happens.  It does.

Lesson learned I hope.  Let's all turn our summer attention to positivity re: Hog football.  Balance this thing out and let's get these Hogs to the SEC Championship.

F Dallas City Hall.

HoopS

Sao.... you deserve about a +50 but I can only give you 1.

Unbelievable.

WILL CLINTON

There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

Sao Ming

Here's to a great Mavs great season in 06/07.   All I can say without breaking more already broken remotes.

GrizzledHogFan

OK, I'm convinced on the jinxes thing now.   :(

Sao Ming

All knowing   :puke:GMB - so far above the rest of us.