Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recent Flying Stuff

Started by GusMcRae, February 02, 2016, 09:51:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GusMcRae

Last half of January was fairly active for me.  2 trips to KICT, both of which on the way up I had speeds of a C-210,,, and both return trips were more like that of a C-150. 
Then 2 trips to KBBD.  All of this was in clear skies, visual approaches everywhere, other than I did an instrument approach and hold for currency purposes when I came in Sunday evening.  IFR departures can still trip me up a little, but I seem to pick up a little something more every time I do it out of a bigger airport such as KICT. 
One of the round trips to KICT and one of the round trips to KBBD were all in the same day.  Roughly 7 hours of flight time. 

My DG is going out, again.  First sign of it was right after the annual, it just started spinning like I was Maverick in a flat spin before ejecting, but I was just taxiing.  So, pretty much all of that January flying has been hand flying, AP wouldn't be a good idea with the way that DG has been behaving, and it works off of the heading bug on the DG.  I just covered it up with an "INOP" sticker. 
Besides that instrument, my Artificial Horizon instrument has been a little suspicious for awhile, probably going to pull both of these instruments and send them off for overhaul. 
Also, my Hobbs meter stopped working.  My mx tells me that it is probably a bulb switch that went out, it operates off of oil pressure, or it could be a circuit breaker or a fuse, so before I pull it out, I have some trouble shooting to do before getting to the bottom of that problem. 
The next 1.5 hours I fly will push me over the 650 total time mark.   

It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

theFlyingHog

This reminds me of all the problems I had with Central's trainers.
Squawk it and wait for mtx to reply that they didn't see anything wrong. The door on that duchess pops open every time you get over 50kts? You don't need to go that fast anyway

bvillepig

You get that avatar from Bay Minette.     lol

GusMcRae

I finally got my instruments pulled out of the C-182 this week and sent off to Earl at SAS in Hot Springs.

Been studying for Commercial written for several weeks as time permits.  Flew over to Kickapoo today in the C-150 (awful windy from 320*, but not far off of 34 and 35 runways) to take the commercial written test.  Passed.
Will roll right into studying for CFI and try to get that written out of the way while all of this other is fresh on my mind.

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: GusMcRae on March 24, 2016, 05:22:50 pm
I finally got my instruments pulled out of the C-182 this week and sent off to Earl at SAS in Hot Springs.

Been studying for Commercial written for several weeks as time permits.  Flew over to Kickapoo today in the C-150 (awful windy from 320*, but not far off of 34 and 35 runways) to take the commercial written test.  Passed.
Will roll right into studying for CFI and try to get that written out of the way while all of this other is fresh on my mind.
You gonna do both the FOI and FIA written tests?
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

GusMcRae

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on March 25, 2016, 01:14:20 pm
You gonna do both the FOI and FIA written tests?
Those are the required tests before you can fly banners over Frank's house, right?