Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeff Longs Biggest Regret While At Arkansas

Started by gchamblee, June 02, 2017, 08:01:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: seasonhog on June 02, 2017, 11:01:44 am
They are way to many who don't care about winning.......or they would be a lot more pushback....

Again, define winning. Until you know what someone's definition of winning is how can you say they do not care about winning?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hawgon

Quote from: hogsanity on June 02, 2017, 11:06:30 am
1992 was the 1st season, 2016 was the 25th. They have played 306 total games since joining the sec and won 167. It does not matter how many games they played per season, they have averaged 6.68 win per season since joining the sec. You want to split it out by coach, fine, but the overall totals for the program do not change.

Well, Hootie averaged 7.5 and Petrino averaged a little better than 8.  Everyone else in that time frame got fired for lack of wins.  So, it is in fact, a little disingenuous to add them all together and say that we should be satisfied with 6.68 because that is what we should expect.  If it is what we should expect, the those other guys wouldn't have been fired.

hawgon

Quote from: hogsanity on June 02, 2017, 11:08:03 am
Again, define winning. Until you know what someone's definition of winning is how can you say they do not care about winning?

By his comments, I can safely assume that Jeff Long's definition of winning is substantially less than what has been historically acceptable at the University of Arkansas.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: hawgon on June 02, 2017, 10:56:12 am
Statements like this will eventually get Long fired.  He apparently thinks he has stumbled upon a place where people don't care about winning.

I wish it were true. But Long is Teflon. For better or worst.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogsanity

Quote from: hawgon on June 02, 2017, 11:10:23 am
Well, Hootie averaged 7.5 and Petrino averaged a little better than 8.  Everyone else in that time frame got fired for lack of wins.  So, it is in fact, a little disingenuous to add them all together and say that we should be satisfied with 6.68 because that is what we should expect.  If it is what we should expect, the those other guys wouldn't have been fired.

I never said be satisfied with it. But 25 years is a good sample, and over that span the program has averaged 6.68 wins per season.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hawgon

Quote from: bkjbearcat on June 02, 2017, 11:13:20 am
I wish it were true. But Long is Teflon. For better or worst.

This season will see the seat heated a bit.

hawgon

Quote from: hogsanity on June 02, 2017, 11:14:34 am
I never said be satisfied with it. But 25 years is a good sample, and over that span the program has averaged 6.68 wins per season.

And people got fired for it.  So the point is exactly opposite of what you intended.

gchamblee

Quote from: The ColonelHog on June 02, 2017, 10:56:27 am
So tell me what he has done at UA that is so great.  A bottom feeder on the field AND in the classroom (look up APR)!  I just don't get all the justifications for the terrible place the FB program is in.  If he don't break this 7-6 stuff in '17, you and the other 25,000 fans like you will have the whole stadium to yourselves in '18.

Well, granted he needs to improve wins/losses, but he has done better against bama, lsu and florida than CBP did. Academics are better under him than they have ever been under anyone. So, your cry of bottom feeder is just a bunch of hyperbole presented with the passion of a high school girl.

WilsonHog

Quote from: hawgon on June 02, 2017, 11:12:29 am
By his comments, I can safely assume that Jeff Long's definition of winning is substantially less than what has been historically acceptable at the University of Arkansas.

I obviously don't know this to be a fact, but I would not be surprised to learn that when JFB moved us to the SEC he knew that what was "historically acceptable" in terms of wins and losses would have to change. And it has.

If the expectation is that we should experience the success in the SEC that we did in the SWC, much of it before African-Americans were allowed on the same field as white boys, I suspect we will have a revolving door of coaches every four or five years.

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on June 02, 2017, 11:15:30 am
And people got fired for it.  So the point is exactly opposite of what you intended.

Ford was fired, who else?

hogsanity

Quote from: hawgon on June 02, 2017, 11:15:30 am

my point was to answer a question someone asked about what our win % was since joining the sec.

hogsanity

Quote from: ricepig on June 02, 2017, 11:18:20 am

crowe was fired one game into our 1st season in the sec. Many would argue Nutt was fired, but if he was it was not for w's and l's.

hawgon

Quote from: ricepig on June 02, 2017, 11:18:20 am

He is the one who got fired for having a better winning percentage than Bielema.  He and his staff were fired for not winning enough.

WilsonHog

Quote from: hawgon on June 02, 2017, 11:22:17 am
He is the one who got fired for having a better winning percentage than Bielema.  He and his staff were fired for not winning enough.

True, but Ford was fired after a losing season. In fact, three of his last four seasons were losing seasons.

So long as we make a bowl game at the end of each season, Bret ain't going anywhere except by his own volition.

hogsanity

Quote from: hawgon on June 02, 2017, 11:22:17 am

His firing had noting to do with BB, so why say it that way? He got fired because his bosses, at the time, wanted to go a different direction, and much of it had to do with his offensive philosophy as much as with actual win's and losses. The sad thing, and this happens in a lot of places, the next guy greatly benefited from the recruiting Ford had done the 2 years before he was fired.

ricepig

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 02, 2017, 11:24:38 am
True, but Ford was fired after a losing season. In fact, three of his last four seasons were losing seasons.

So long as we make a bowl game at the end of each season, Bret ain't going anywhere except by his own volition.

Correct, although back to back 7 win seasons will more than likely end his tenure here.

hawgon

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 02, 2017, 11:17:52 am
I obviously don't know this to be a fact, but I would not be surprised to learn that when JFB moved us to the SEC he knew that what was "historically acceptable" in terms of wins and losses would have to change. And it has.

If the expectation is that we should experience the success in the SEC that we did in the SWC, much of it before African-Americans were allowed on the same field as white boys, I suspect we will have a revolving door of coaches every four or five years.

Not really that much.  JFB averaged 8 in an 10 game season with a bowl game and Hootie averaged 7.5 in 11 game seasons with a bowl.  He had two 12 game seasons in there.  That is slightly worse than what JFB did but not much worse.

Oh, and we enjoyed quite a bit of success under Broyles, Holtz, and Hatfiled in the 20 years after desegregation as well.

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on June 02, 2017, 11:26:35 am
Not really that much.  JFB averaged 8 in an 10 game season with a bowl game and Hootie averaged 7.5 in 11 game seasons with a bowl.  He had two 12 game seasons in there.  That is slightly worse than what JFB did but not much worse.

Oh, and we enjoyed quite a bit of success under Broyles, Holtz, and Hatfiled in the 20 years after desegregation as well.

Living in the past, are you?

hawgon

Quote from: hogsanity on June 02, 2017, 11:25:06 am
His firing had noting to do with BB, so why say it that way? He got fired because his bosses, at the time, wanted to go a different direction, and much of it had to do with his offensive philosophy as much as with actual win's and losses. The sad thing, and this happens in a lot of places, the next guy greatly benefited from the recruiting Ford had done the 2 years before he was fired.

I'm just stating facts.  He won more than BB and got fired because he wasn't winning enough.

hawgon

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on June 02, 2017, 11:28:32 am
I'm just stating facts.  He won more than BB and got fired because he wasn't winning enough.

Well, line up some rich folks and clean house. You seem to have all the answers, surely you have the wherewithal to make it happen.

seasonhog

And there is a true statement........................

hogsanity

Ford was 26-32-1 in 5 season. 3 of his 5 seasons he had a losing record, including seasons 4 and 5. BB is 25-26 in 4 seasons. So how do you figure Ford won more than BB?

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on June 02, 2017, 11:30:19 am
Well, line up some rich folks and clean house. You seem to have all the answers, surely you have the wherewithal to make it happen.

Can we count on your help?
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on June 02, 2017, 11:34:22 am
Can we count on your help?

I don't have all the answers, ask me in two years.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on June 02, 2017, 11:35:07 am
I don't have all the answers, ask me in two years.

Ok.  Go get all the answers and get back to me.
1909/1964/1965/1977

hawgon

Quote from: hogsanity on June 02, 2017, 11:32:25 am
Ford was 26-32-1 in 5 season. 3 of his 5 seasons he had a losing record, including seasons 4 and 5. BB is 25-26 in 4 seasons. So how do you figure Ford won more than BB?

In his first four years he had exactly twice as many SEC wins as BB has now.  Even setting aside their first years because I know that is what you will cry about next, Ford has as many SEC wins in those three years as BB does in four. 

phadedhawg

Hogville whenever Jeff Long reminds Razorback fans that he still exists

hogsanity

Quote from: hawgon on June 02, 2017, 11:40:09 am
In his first four years he had exactly twice as many SEC wins as BB has now.  Even setting aside their first years because I know that is what you will cry about next, Ford has as many SEC wins in those three years as BB does in four. 

1st I am not crying about anything. 2nd, you never said sec wins only, you flatly stated " I'm just stating facts.  He won more than BB and got fired because he wasn't winning enough." But it turns out that is not fact at all.

hawgon

Quote from: hogsanity on June 02, 2017, 11:44:38 am
1st I am not crying about anything. 2nd, you never said sec wins only, you flatly stated " I'm just stating facts.  He won more than BB and got fired because he wasn't winning enough." But it turns out that is not fact at all.

Yes it is.  Keep trying to defend the indefensible.

hogsanity

For all time, the program has won at a .570% clip. 709 wins in 1235 games. 709-486-40

hogsanity

Quote from: hawgon on June 02, 2017, 11:45:40 am
Yes it is.  Keep trying to defend the indefensible.

how is it a fact? In 4 years BB has 25 wins, in 5 years ford only had 26. In his his 1st 4 seasons Ford had 22 wins. His overall win % was .440, bb is currently at .490.

factchecker

Quote from: The ColonelHog on June 02, 2017, 10:37:34 am
Do you really think anyone on here would even be mentioning BP if BB could even go 4-4 in the SEC and deliver something more than 7-6.

2015 record: 8-5  5-3 in the SEC
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hawgon

Quote from: hogsanity on June 02, 2017, 11:47:27 am
For all time, the program has won at a .570% clip. 709 wins in 1235 games. 709-486-40

Jen, stay off the message board.

hogsanity

Quote from: hawgon on June 02, 2017, 11:52:49 am

Right, someone posts easily accessible FACTS, so they must be a close family member of the coach.

hogsanity

Quote from: factchecker on June 02, 2017, 11:51:53 am

come on now, don't go bringing facts to this, a couple guys here can't deal with them.

factchecker

Danny Ford's record at Arkansas: 26-30-1 (5 seasons)

Bret Bielema's record at Arkansas: 25-26 (4 seasons)

Ford has a worse winning % and has won 1 more game then Bielema with an extra season played.

Quote from: hawgon on June 02, 2017, 11:52:49 am

Sure thing Jessica..... just as soon as you jump off the harley.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

seasonhog

Quote from: hogsanity on June 02, 2017, 11:55:54 am
Right, someone posts easily accessible FACTS, so they must be a close family member of the coach.

How else do you explain the contract that Long gave BB.....................

Wildhog

Quote from: factchecker on June 02, 2017, 11:51:53 am

I was excited at that point.  A Beliemer.

That was supposed to be the launching pad for things to come. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

Al Boarland

Quote from: gchamblee on June 02, 2017, 09:41:00 am
I really like the roster he has built, but if he can't get them to play winning football then what's the point? I am really hoping he has just had some seriously bad luck.

It looks like a middle of the SEC roster.

factchecker

Quote from: Wildhog on June 02, 2017, 12:00:13 pm
I was excited at that point.  A Beliemer.

That was supposed to be the launching pad for things to come. 

No doubt.  Last year was bad.  Our program can't afford to take steps back.  We have to constantly move forward.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

PearlHarbor

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 02, 2017, 11:17:52 am

How does this apply to texas a&m? Why don't they have to reduce their expectations, but we do?

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on June 02, 2017, 09:08:18 am
Wake Forest and Northern Illinois went to a BCS bowl too. 50+ different teams played in BCS bowls during the bcs era. And were the hogs really looked at as a upper tier sec program while getting blown out by both bama and lsu, or were they seen as a program that was having a couple good seasons. 

Horse manure. The Hogs didn't get blown out by either Bama or LSU in 2010. Bama escaped with a very close win in Fayetteville and Arkansas beat LSU to finish second in the west and go to the Sugar Bowl. The only big loss for the Hogs that year was against a loaded Auburn team that won the National Championship.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Al Boarland

I think the Long stated his priorities in sequential order.  1.  Get student-athletes ready to be successful in the world 2. Winning.  I don't see anything wrong with that.  Long looks at things from the entire Athletics perspective.  The Athletics programs, as a whole, are pretty successful.

For those that want him gone, I think you might find that if he lands somewhere with the resources to win championships in football he will not get the criticism he receives on this board.  We have all the ingredients for championship level football except for one.  It just happens to be the most important ingredient.  Access and ability to land elite talent recruiting cycle after recruiting cycle.

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on June 02, 2017, 12:09:22 pm
Horse manure. The Hogs didn't get blown out by either Bama or LSU in 2010. Bama escaped with a very close win in Fayetteville and Arkansas beat LSU to finish second in the west and go to the Sugar Bowl. The only big loss for the Hogs that year was against a loaded Auburn team that won the National Championship.

in 2011 they got blown out by both bama and lsu ( the later after having taken a 14-0 lead ). See, I can pick and choose which games I want to refer to as well. The fact remains, in those 2 seasons the Hogs did not even sniff Atlanta.

hawgon

Quote from: hogsanity on June 02, 2017, 12:12:58 pm
in 2011 they got blown out by both bama and lsu ( the later after having taken a 14-0 lead ). See, I can pick and choose which games I want to refer to as well. The fact remains, in those 2 seasons the Hogs did not even sniff Atlanta.

And they still finished the season ranked 5th.

hogsanity

DLUXHOG

Quote from: gchamblee on June 02, 2017, 08:01:33 am
http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=News-Notes--Quotes--June-2-2017

- Asked about his biggest regret in his time at Arkansas athletic director, Jeff Long pointed to an obvious one, without saying it directly.

It was the Bobby Petrino situation and its end, despite the winning on the field.

"There's probably one I regret," Long told SportsTalk with Bo Mattingly. "Probably that I compromised what I believed in because I thought a certain kind of coach needed to be in this conference to compete. It's a regret, really, of myself and not living true to my values and what I believe in."

Asked if he's learned since then, Long replied, "Absolutely."

Okay... so what do ya'll think is Frank Broyles biggest regret(s) are/were?  (after all there have only been 2 AD's at Arkansas in the past 43 years, and please remember that Frank has probably done more for the state of Arkansas than any other human being ever, and he wasn't even born and raised here... but I am positive he has some regrets, just wondering what ya'll think that they are.......)
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

WilsonHog

Quote from: PearlHarbor on June 02, 2017, 12:04:10 pm
How does this apply to texas a&m? Why don't they have to reduce their expectations, but we do?

Recruiting territory.