AP All Time Top 100

Started by brenthog, March 29, 2017, 02:32:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

brenthog

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: brenthog on March 29, 2017, 02:32:47 pm
http://collegebasketball.ap.org/top-100

We are below Bama? 31st?

Alabama probably went back and claimed a few national championships to help their cause.
[CENSORED]!

hawkhawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 29, 2017, 02:34:28 pm
Alabama probably went back and claimed a few national championships to help their cause.

This doesn't even factor in a national championship.

King Kong

Dang that low. As far as Bama they have a good basketball history.

Jackrabbit Hog

Reminds me of the UT fans over here in Tennessee.  They think they have the second best basketball tradition in the SEC behind only Kentucky.  I shat you not.  Never even made a Final Four, but they wax poetic about their baskeball tradition. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Inhogswetrust

There are at least 10 teams above us we should be ahead of.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 29, 2017, 03:16:13 pm
Reminds me of the UT fans over here in Tennessee.  They think they have the second best basketball tradition in the SEC behind only Kentucky.  I shat you not.  Never even made a Final Four, but they wax poetic about their baskeball tradition. 

It's crazy isn't it? They are third in the state behind Memphis and Vandy in basketball tradition.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

mizzouman

This 'poll' is all about the polls and how often the teams are ranked and how many times they have been ranked #1.  It doesn't care about how well a team did in the NCAAT.  All about rankings for the last 68 years.  Again, another statistic that can be skewed any way you want.

40MinutesOfHellFOREVER

MizzouMan beat me to it.  It isn't judging a program based upon its history, all-americans, Final Fours, Natties, etc.  It is simply a rather silly article "ranking" programs based solely upon the % of times they have appeared in the AP's weekly Top 25 Poll over the course of the past 40 years or so.    The only thing it seems to consider is how often any given program has appeared in the weekly Top 25 poll over that time frame.                     

hawginbigd1

Well did we even have a basketball program before Eddie LOL!

sickboy

Quote from: mizzouman on March 29, 2017, 03:23:04 pm
This 'poll' is all about the polls and how often the teams are ranked and how many times they have been ranked #1.  It doesn't care about how well a team did in the NCAAT.  All about rankings for the last 68 years.  Again, another statistic that can be skewed any way you want.

Agree, it's a fluff metric. Polls are nearly pointless nowadays anyway.

oldbear

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on March 29, 2017, 03:59:58 pm
Well did we even have a basketball program before Eddie LOL!

I know you're being sarcastic but we had some really great records early in the program for about 20 or 30 years, and then rejuvenated in the 70's. Kind of interesting.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/arkansas/

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: King Kong on March 29, 2017, 03:15:42 pm
Dang that low. As far as Bama they have a good basketball history.
They've been to one elite one time. We've been to the elite eight or better 18 times.

Of course we have 6 final fours and a NC. They have zero.

They have 13 conference championships, tourney and regular season. We have 31.

If they have a good history, we have a great one.

This just shows me how skewed the AP poll can be when looking at programs historically.

King Kong

March 29, 2017, 06:03:47 pm #13 Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 08:20:38 pm by King Kong
Quote from: Razorback_Mack on March 29, 2017, 05:40:46 pm
They've been to one elite one time. We've been to the elite eight or better 18 times.

Of course we have 6 final fours and a NC. They have zero.

They have 13 conference championships, tourney and regular season. We have 31.

If they have a good history, we have a great one.

This just shows me how skewed the AP poll can be when looking at programs historically.

We do have a great history. I didn't say Bama was Better than Arkansas.

But Bama has been to 20 NCAAT with 8 Sweet 16. They are good basketball program historically

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: King Kong on March 29, 2017, 06:03:47 pm
We do have a great history
Agreed, didn't mean that we didn't. Just wanted to make the point that Alabama's basketball history is in no way comparable to Arkansas's. Making this AP ranking thing a  bad metric.