Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fair and balanced article on Coach B

Started by monty hawg, March 28, 2017, 08:32:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hogsanity on March 28, 2017, 11:45:35 am
South Florida and Boston College were both ranked NUMBER 1 in the BCS rankings once upon a time too, does not mean that is the norm for those programs any more than reaching #3 meant that was/should be the norm for this program.

That statement stuck out to me in the article! This program was trending towards being highly competitive in the SEC and there's great benefits to being competitive in the SEC. I just want coach BB to at least finish the season ranked and win 4 or 5 games in the SEC every year. The article also mentioned the Razorbacks highest rank since BB was only 16th.

Oklahawg

Quote from: HF#1 on March 28, 2017, 11:36:57 am
Bielema even knows this is a make or break year. Thus the desperate move to the 3-4

I wouldn't characterize the move to 3-4 as "desperate" but "necessary" given the talent they are acquiring.

So little is written about the shift CBB has exhibited since arriving. He realized that he cannot recruit an LSU or Bama defense so he has shifted to recruiting a very good offense and a "good enough" defense. He has had to turn the defense around 180 degrees. This IS a make/break year because he will not sustain the recruiting energy if they fall off the planet.  They need players, plain and simple. Or, to impart the wisdom of Larry Johnson to Nolan, CBB needs some men.

The shift to 3-4 allows us to recruit men, capable SEC talent, in the numbers needed for the scheme. The shift of a lineman to a linebacker (and, it seems, from a safety to a hybrid LB/S) allows us to find more talent. There are too few DL out there to have to nab four every year to outfit a 4-man line.

All of us would prefer that this was figured out 3 years ago. At least he is figuring it out.

He is now getting a staff that seems to be able to recruit. He is now getting a staff that seems to be on the same page. The optimist has to be encouraged. The pessimist must bide their time to see if it pays off.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

HF#1

Quote from: Oklahawg on March 28, 2017, 11:51:47 am
I wouldn't characterize the move to 3-4 as "desperate" but "necessary" given the talent they are acquiring.

So little is written about the shift CBB has exhibited since arriving. He realized that he cannot recruit an LSU or Bama defense so he has shifted to recruiting a very good offense and a "good enough" defense. He has had to turn the defense around 180 degrees. This IS a make/break year because he will not sustain the recruiting energy if they fall off the planet.  They need players, plain and simple. Or, to impart the wisdom of Larry Johnson to Nolan, CBB needs some men.

The shift to 3-4 allows us to recruit men, capable SEC talent, in the numbers needed for the scheme. The shift of a lineman to a linebacker (and, it seems, from a safety to a hybrid LB/S) allows us to find more talent. There are too few DL out there to have to nab four every year to outfit a 4-man line.

All of us would prefer that this was figured out 3 years ago. At least he is figuring it out.

He is now getting a staff that seems to be able to recruit. He is now getting a staff that seems to be on the same page. The optimist has to be encouraged. The pessimist must bide their time to see if it pays off.

It is literally the last resort. It may work, it may not. If it doesn't, we'll see 6 or 7 wins and a new coach.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hogcard1964

Quote from: HF#1 on March 28, 2017, 11:49:41 am
The premise that Jeff Long will not fire someone as long as everything is morally correct off the field is false.

It's mostly true.  Couple that with his mistake of Long actually increasing Bielema's buyout after an average 2014 and it spells disaster for a long time. 

...he's not going anywhere.

HF#1

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 28, 2017, 11:54:48 am
It's mostly true.  Couple that with his mistake of Long actually increasing Bielema's buyout after an average 2014 and it spells disaster for a long time. 

...he's not going anywhere.

Buyouts are overrated. If certain folks want a coach gone bad enough, buyouts aren't an issue.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Dropkick

If we win 6 or 7 games he isn't going anywhere unless he chooses to. If you want him gone that badly you need to wish for a losing season.

hogsanity

It is funny that so many want to focus so narrowly on 2 seasons out of the last 25 or 30 when they want to try to "prove" what Hog football can be. The Hogs have had 8 full time head coaches ( not counting interim or the jls year ) since 1970. All of them except BB have had at least one 10 win season. Yet to hear many, the only really successful season were 2010 and 2011, even though neither ended with a conf title, or even a seccg appearance.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ricepig

Quote from: HF#1 on March 28, 2017, 11:53:55 am
It is literally the last resort. It may work, it may not. If it doesn't, we'll see 6 or 7 wins and a new coach.

Wrong, there isn't a line drawn in the sand.

HF#1

Quote from: Dropkick on March 28, 2017, 11:57:08 am
If we win 6 or 7 games he isn't going anywhere unless he chooses to. If you want him gone that badly you need to wish for a losing season.

I didn't say I want him gone. I'm just projecting my opinion.

HF#1

hogsanity

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 28, 2017, 11:51:37 am
That statement stuck out to me in the article! This program was trending towards being highly competitive in the SEC and there's great benefits to being competitive in the SEC. I just want coach BB to at least finish the season ranked and win 4 or 5 games in the SEC every year. The article also mentioned the Razorbacks highest rank since BB was only 16th.

5 times since joining the SEC have the Hogs finished the season ranked, 3 under Nutt and 2 under BP. Again, the exception, not the norm for this program.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Razorbackers

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 28, 2017, 10:56:54 am
From the article:

Consider: The state of Arkansas has produced 12 ESPN 300 players since Bielema was hired by the Razorbacks. The state of Florida had 49 in the 2017 class.

That pretty well sums it up.

This should be the end of it. He is having to rebuild a program after an interim coach debacle, and it takes time. It takes more time when you don't have in state talent that can compete at an SEC level.

And I think I've said it on here before, but IF we had (stupidly) fired Bielema after 2016, we'd have been on our 4th HC in 10 years. Who do you hire? Who dares to come here for that rebuild in the SEC WEST? The program needs STABILITY, and Bielema is recruiting well, has his players doing well in class, and doesn't get into trouble off the field. Should we be ok with 7-8 win seasons forever? Of course not. But it's like, people have no concept of the task he has inherited when came here.

Razorbackers

Quote from: HF#1 on March 28, 2017, 11:46:29 am
At some point Bielema has to move the needle. Another 6-7 win season doesn't move the needle.

Right so 3 wins, 7 wins, 8 wins, then 7 wins.

Needle has moved.

hogcard1964

Quote from: hogsanity on March 28, 2017, 11:57:09 am
It is funny that so many want to focus so narrowly on 2 seasons out of the last 25 or 30 when they want to try to "prove" what Hog football can be. The Hogs have had 8 full time head coaches ( not counting interim or the jls year ) since 1970. All of them except BB have had at least one 10 win season. Yet to hear many, the only really successful season were 2010 and 2011, even though neither ended with a conf title, or even a seccg appearance.

+1000

We've had two really good to "exceptional" coaches during that time, or after Broyles stepped down- Holtz and Petrino.  Both were ran out of town for shart they pulled off field.

As long as Bielema stays relatively clean, he's here for the duration of his contract.  Actually, the way is contract structured, he could probably get away with some BS off the field as well and still remain here.

The Hogfather

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on March 28, 2017, 11:33:28 am
This is part of it, the 11 and 12 recruiting misses are still being overcome along with the rest of the damage done to the program in that time frame.

THIS!  The lack of talent in our expected recruiting area and the fact that we basically had 2 years of missing recruiting classes dug Bielema a huge hole.  He will get out of it.  I was most disappointed at the way last season ended.  Those types of losses, especially in back-to-back fashion, are unacceptable.  However, I think the best thing a program like Arkansas can have (for all sports) is continuity.  Constant turnover causes our program to suffer.

HF#1

Quote from: Razorbackers on March 28, 2017, 12:03:23 pm
Right so 3 wins, 7 wins, 8 wins, then 7 wins.

Needle has moved.

Not really.

HF#1

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 28, 2017, 12:10:16 pm
However, I think the best thing a program like Arkansas can have (for all sports) is continuity.  Constant turnover causes our program to suffer.

Someone tell Bielema that.

ricepig

Quote from: HF#1 on March 28, 2017, 11:58:25 am
Alright...

If the win number is in your range, then the heat will definitely be own for 2018, although I don't think there is a number for it, for sure not as of today.

Kevin

Quote from: HF#1 on March 28, 2017, 12:17:24 pm
Agree to disagree. Bielema has to make noise this season.

we shall see
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogcard1964

Quote from: HF#1 on March 28, 2017, 12:17:24 pm
Agree to disagree. Bielema has to make noise this season.

He usually does.  He'll blow a few large 4th quarter leads and then mumble something about "setting the edge" and "doing a better job holding onto the ball".

...and then the usual sunshine and lollypop crew will claim something about him needing more time to get "more depth", "his recruits", "his buyout" or waiting for "redshirts that were sitting"....  yada yada yada...

go hogues

He will not be fired, mainly because of the coaching market. I mean, LSU (LSU!) had to settle for Coach O, for crying out loud.

Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 28, 2017, 10:50:47 am
This. Sheer genius.

Coach B never had a instate class like we had playing in 2006 . Plus with all our geographical issues we need to stay the course we are on.

Success here means we have to follow the KState Model. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Vantage 8 dude

IMO this is indeed a pretty fair and balanced assessment of CBB. While his teams have most definitely shown the ability to surprise and perform well at times, it's been the inconsistent, which team are we going to get this week, performances that have been truly maddening. I think most folks get that we have arguably one of the toughest schedules year-in-and- year-out, much of that being in the SECW with powers such as Alabama, LSU and sometimes Awbarn. I believe we also recognize that our lack of numbers when it comes to top of the line SEC home grown talent also hampers us more often than not. However, I think what really irks many fans, including me, are the total late game meltdowns like we've experienced with the likes of TAM over the past four or five years, last year against a miserable Missouri team and during the bowl game with VT. Add to that the embarrassing losses against teams such as Rutgers and Toledo, sorry IMHO those are opponents we should have beaten handily, and you have the ingredients of major fan discontent.

And while I most certainly lay much of our past failures squarely on the shoulders of the staff, as it should be, I also assign some of the blame to the players as well. While at times the Hogs may not have the overall talent as some of the other teams on the field, I also think some of the collapses and inconsistency can be laid at the feet of lack of discipline, lack of upper class leadership and toughness.

hogcard1964

He's consistently in the top 10 of this list.  However, this is obviously based more on "who should be fired" as opposed to "who will be fired".

http://coacheshotseat.com/

colbs

Quote from: hog19911 on March 28, 2017, 11:44:48 am
What are you talking about? Some of what you said is just complete revisionist history.

You say he never beat LSU when they were good yet when we beat them in 2010 the two teams were playing for a Sugar bowl birth.

You say he never beat Auburn but he beat them 3 out of 4 years and convincingly so. The one year we lost they won the National championship and had Can Newton.

You say he we lost 2 or 3 times to Nutt and they were terrible. Well first off, we lost twice and both were in Petrinos first two years. And I believe Ole Miss won 9 games in both of Nutts first two years. Somewhat ironic that you claimed they sucked yet in year 5 we're still waiting on BB's first 9 win season.
Although some of the facts like not beating a good LSU team is incorrect I think the point that is being made is that you cannot compare the two situations.  BP has been gone like 6 years, the SEC-W is tougher from top to bottom, instate talent minus the 2015 class hasn't been great, etc.  I don't think anyone is saying that BB has accomplished much of anything yet.  I think some need to put things in to perspective.  Guess what Nutt had a better win % than BP did his first two years.  Does that mean he's a better coach?  Absolutely not.  I have just seen a lot of posts pretty much say that since BP did it in 3 years then BB  won't succeed here because he hasn't in 4 years.  Ryan Mallett helped a ton.  While BP deserves credit for getting him and developing his game, if Lloyd doesn't retire Mallett probably never comes.

hogcard1964

Quote from: colbs on March 28, 2017, 12:49:21 pm
Although some of the facts like not beating a good LSU team is incorrect I think the point that is being made is that you cannot compare the two situations.  BP has been gone like 6 years, the SEC-W is tougher from top to bottom, instate talent minus the 2015 class hasn't been great, etc.  I don't think anyone is saying that BB has accomplished much of anything yet.  I think some need to put things in to perspective.  Guess what Nutt had a better win % than BP did his first two years.  Does that mean he's a better coach?  Absolutely not.  I have just seen a lot of posts pretty much say that since BP did it in 3 years then BB  won't succeed here because he hasn't in 4 years.  Ryan Mallett helped a ton.  While BP deserves credit for getting him and developing his game, if Lloyd doesn't retire Mallett probably never comes.

The SEC's been a juggernaut for 20+ years.  If anything, it's more top heavy now than it was 6-8 years ago, but it's always a kick a^& conference.

colbs

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 28, 2017, 12:52:15 pm
The SEC's been a juggernaut for 20+ years.  If anything, it's more top heavy now than it was 6-8 years ago, but it's always a kick a^& conference.
Besides this year the two previous years the MS schools had probably their two best seasons at the same time.  How many times has both MS schools been good the same year?  Not only was it good years for both, it was probably their two best years in program history.  Then the rest of the West was pretty good. 

Hog Pharm

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 28, 2017, 10:17:17 am
Any discussion of past bargains with the devil should include the penalty phase of said bargain.

That information is conveniently forgotten.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hogsanity on March 28, 2017, 11:39:29 am
Because recently, and for 2 of those three for decades, those teams have routinely won more than 8 games per season. Arkansas, in my 47 season of life has won more than 8 a total of 17 times, with 5 of those 17 belonging to Hatfield. The only coach to average more than 8 wins per season in that span was Hatfield, and many will claim his #'s were inflated by playing in a dying SWC.

I do not contend that another coach will not come here and win more than 8 in a season, maybe even average more than that. My question is and has been: Why do so many posters here think that winning more than 8 should be the norm here when it has not been the norm for at least the last 50 years?

It's the impulse of the emotional to burn it all down in a fit of impatience.
[CENSORED]!

hogcard1964

Quote from: colbs on March 28, 2017, 12:57:50 pm
Besides this year the two previous years the MS schools had probably their two best seasons at the same time.  How many times has both MS schools been good the same year?  Not only was it good years for both, it was probably their two best years in program history.  Then the rest of the West was pretty good.

Since 2012 going forward both programs have been mediocre to decent.  Aside from 2015 neither have been world beaters.

FWIW, Auburn was awful in 2012 also, but became tough again the following year.

Bama's been the only constant over that period.  Positions 2-4 have been pretty interchangeable.

Pork Twain

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 28, 2017, 12:04:39 pm
+1000

We've had two really good to "exceptional" coaches during that time, or after Broyles stepped down- Holtz and Petrino.  Both were ran out of town for shart they pulled off field.

As long as Bielema stays relatively clean, he's here for the duration of his contract.  Actually, the way is contract structured, he could probably get away with some BS off the field as well and still remain here.
It is not often that I agree with you, but when I do it is because you are actually agreeing with me, without realizing it.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Al Boarland

Very fair article. No mention of GPA and how clean the program is perceived to be, but hit on most of the other things.

I expect 7/8 wins and that's pretty solid for a decent coach with limited talent on the rosters. For those that expect/demand more it's good to have those kind of fans. It ensures you don't slide down to the bottom of the pack. Those expectations don't align with reality, but being a fan often requires you not to be realistic. I wish I were geared that way sometimes.

311Hog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 28, 2017, 01:07:10 pm
It's the impulse of the emotional to burn it all down in a fit of impatience.

brilliance !

Pork Twain

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 28, 2017, 12:10:16 pm
THIS!  The lack of talent in our expected recruiting area and the fact that we basically had 2 years of missing recruiting classes dug Bielema a huge hole.  He will get out of it.  I was most disappointed at the way last season ended.  Those types of losses, especially in back-to-back fashion, are unacceptable.  However, I think the best thing a program like Arkansas can have (for all sports) is continuity.  Constant turnover causes our program to suffer.
I think we are being generous by limiting it two those two years, 09 and 10 were not high hit rate classes either.  If we would have been able to close out those last two games, I think there would be a lot more happy people on here.  I think that was fixed with the DC change.  People say the offense faltered, but I our offense consistently came out in the 2nd half feeling like they had to score on every play because our DC, Coach Klein, was hiding behind the bench and going pure prevent on D.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Razorbackers

Quote from: HF#1 on March 28, 2017, 12:13:21 pm
Not really.

If you can't see a difference between 3 and 8 then it explains a WHOLE LOT about Hogville lol

Corkscrew Johnson

Bielema is close to having the hogs reach the next tier, from 7-8 wins to 8-10 wins/season, on a consistent basis.

In his favor, his teams look almost there.  Sure he has the obvious disadvantages of playing in the toughest division in the history of college football, and a less-than-fertile recruiting base, but those excuses are surmountable.  And excuses aside, we seem to repeatedly put ourselves in a position to win against elite teams.  We aren't taken lightly in the college football world, regardless of the false bravado drivel you hear on message boards.  We are oh-so-close to putting it all together, and it's that potential that keeps me intrigued by Bielema.

But against his favor, he seems to squander that potential in infamous ways.  Whether it's a humiliating blowout loss, a mind-numbing second half implosion, or just a head-scratching call at a critical time, we seem to leave 1-2 wins on the table every year, in an epic fashion on a national stage that leaves a permanent impression on our collective minds and pride.  It's a gut-punch every time.  It's a mystery.

I like Bret, I like his pride, I like his swagger, frankly I like his style for Arkansas.  Unless he fails miserably this year, I think he has us positioned to take that next step to the 8-10 win tier.  And while that is a roll of the dice, I definitely feel more comfortable with that logic/risk than I do guessing on the unknown behind door #3.  Another 4-5 year investment of time.  LSU could only land Ed Orgeron, for pete's sake...it's wild out there. 

hogcard1964

Quote from: Pork Twain on March 28, 2017, 01:10:14 pm
It is not often that I agree with you, but when I do it is because you are actually agreeing with me, without realizing it.

You know what they say about great minds baby...

Let's dance!

311Hog

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on March 28, 2017, 01:56:17 pm
Bielema is close to having the hogs reach the next tier, from 7-8 wins to 8-10 wins/season, on a consistent basis.

In his favor, his teams look almost there.  Sure he has the obvious disadvantages of playing in the toughest division in the history of college football, and a less-than-fertile recruiting base, but those excuses are surmountable.  And excuses aside, we seem to repeatedly put ourselves in a position to win against elite teams.  We aren't taken lightly in the college football world, regardless of the false bravado drivel you hear on message boards.  We are oh-so-close to putting it all together, and it's that potential that keeps me intrigued by Bielema.

But against his favor, he seems to squander that potential in infamous ways.  Whether it's a humiliating blowout loss, a mind-numbing second half implosion, or just a head-scratching call at a critical time, we seem to leave 1-2 wins on the table every year, in an epic fashion on a national stage that leaves a permanent impression on our collective minds and pride.  It's a gut-punch every time.  It's a mystery.

I like Bret, I like his pride, I like his swagger, frankly I like his style for Arkansas.  Unless he fails miserably this year, I think he has us positioned to take that next step to the 8-10 win tier.  And while that is a roll of the dice, I definitely feel more comfortable with that logic/risk than I do guessing on the unknown behind door #3.  Another 4-5 year investment of time.  LSU could only land Ed Orgeron, for pete's sake...it's wild out there. 

You know what is funny about this, while yes we do have some spectacular losses i personally feel they are balanced with some spectacular wins.  I mean back to back 2nd half implosions..... Hunter Heave  kinda makes sense in a weird way.

Piggfoot

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 28, 2017, 10:15:12 am
Two years before Bielema arrived, Arkansas won 11 games and got to No. 3 in the BCS rankings.
And your point is What?
The team in 2011 had different players than the following years. College football and for that matter other sports teams personel changes from year to year.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

phadedhawg

Quote from: Piggfoot on March 28, 2017, 02:11:21 pm
And your point is What?
The team in 2011 had different players than the following years. College football and for that matter other sports teams personel changes from year to year.

Everyone talks about that #3 ranking that lasted a half hour.  We lost 41-17.  We were exposed as being overrated.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Poker_hog on March 28, 2017, 09:41:06 am
Bret's results here have been a disappointment.  Most coaches would be fired.  He's been given the benefit of doubt because of his success at wisky and his enormous buyout.
and because he is in the SEC west, and because there is nobody looking for work with a better resume, and because he has made steady progress even if there are still things that need fixed.

like the article said, its complicated.  firing him would be idiotic at this point and land us right back in the 0 SEC wins pit trying to dig out yet again.  there really is no sane choice besides seeing it through.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hogcard1964

Quote from: phadedhawg on March 28, 2017, 02:15:46 pm
Everyone talks about that #3 ranking that lasted a half hour.  We lost 41-17.  We were exposed as being overrated.

Overrated>the last 5 years

ZERO

Quote from: phadedhawg on March 28, 2017, 02:15:46 pm

We weren't really overrated. We ended the year #5, and that's roughly how good we were. We lost to LSU's best team ever, and the team that beat LSU's best team ever in the national championship. Yeah, the gap between us and them was disheartening, but the gap between them and everyone else was also pretty shocking.

I will admit we beat a lot of nobodies that year, but we had some good victories under our belt, too. We beat a South Carolina team that ended 11-2/#9. We beat a Kansas State team that ended 10-3/#15. Then we also beat Auburn, Texas A&M, and Mississippi State - all went to bowl games and ended with a winning record.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

Hawghiggs

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 28, 2017, 11:28:52 am
No, we have at least 6 automatic wins on the schedule.

After the obvious 3, I don't see 'em.  TCU, Miss State, and Missouri are the next most likely victories, but who thought Missouri had a snowball's chance last year?

Until Bielema beats A&M, you have to think that's a likely loss.

Road games at South Carolina and Ole Miss are dicey even when the Hogs are at their best.  This team had big question marks even before having to rebuild what were viewed as last year's strengths - the D-line and receivers.

Road games at Bama and LSU and a home game against Auburn are two guaranteed losses plus one that's almost guaranteed.

The two most winnable SEC games come at home to end the season.  If we're 3-7 and 0-6 by then, Hogville will be in lynch mode and the players may be on idle.  Hope I'm wrong.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Vantage 8 dude

GolfnHog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 28, 2017, 12:30:27 pm
He usually does.  He'll blow a few large 4th quarter leads and then mumble something about "setting the edge" and "doing a better job holding onto the ball".

...and then the usual sunshine and lollypop crew will claim something about him needing more time to get "more depth", "his recruits", "his buyout" or waiting for "redshirts that were sitting"....  yada yada yada...

and I'll repeat my question I've asked in the past.  Why in God's name do you even follow the Razorbacks if you are so disenchanted with everything? Your opinions aside, you are the reason that anti depressant meds are prescribed. You, your never ending negative opinions and the fact you waste oxygen that living plants could use is unfriggenbelievable.

Could you read more and post less to see if that helps?
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

We hired us a 4 million per year coach who had a very decent record as a HC when we hired him.  Honestly, if you look at the details, you find BB didn't do well against the upper crust in the Big 10, BUT, his overall record was very good.

What bothers me is the failures he has sustained here that a 4 mil coach shouldn't.  3 wins 13, pitiful.  Not having his team ready to start the season, pitiful.  Getting beat by very average teams anytime, pitiful.  Not having much of a second team ready and not seeming to plan on getting one ready, pitiful.  Why not use the last 1.5 quarters of a game you are going to win easily to train and give confidence to the #2s.  Also why not let the 2s play in a blowout loss much sooner and not continue to get the 1s killed.  Our 2nds and 3rds just do not have enough knowledge and experience to play even low average SEC football.  Use the chances given to actually train your overall team and let them gain.  All too often, our staff is surprised by the play of some wrote off player who was forced on the field by others injuries.  Morgan comes to mine and there are many others.  It is my personal belief that our HC has not put in the time and effort to its best use since being here.  I think this upcoming season may offer a change in a good direction and that change will be our HC busting his ass and requiring everyone else to bust their asses.  I expect we will see an up tick in wins due to that and a much better product on the field.  I care not the name of the HC, what scheme he chooses, or how he coaches as long as the results are there.  I believe I am not out of line to expect all out effort as that doesn't take talent. 

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Poker_hog on March 28, 2017, 09:41:06 am
Bret's results here have been a disappointment.  Most coaches would be fired.  He's been given the benefit of doubt because of his success at wisky and his enormous buyout.

At some point, what he did at Wisconsin should be irrelevant.

We live in a "what have you done lately" results based world.

jcbville

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 28, 2017, 10:17:17 am
Any discussion of past bargains with the devil should include the penalty phase of said bargain.

Haha. Truth.