Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reminicing

Started by boaredstiff, March 24, 2017, 04:54:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

boaredstiff

As  a 19 year old college sophomore in 1965, I was there in person when Bill Montgomery & Co. jumped out to a 20-0 lead over Texas, only to have Texas come back to take the lead 24-20 in the 4th quarter, whereupon Montgomery marched the Hogs down the field via "squirrel passes" to score a very late touchdown and claim an ultimate 27-24 victory for Arkansas.  I saw Dickey Morton, Mike Kirkland, Joe Ferguson and many other past Arkansas alums play a number of games in person.  I saw Houston Dale Nutt throw his first official collegiate pass in a backup role.

Granted, that was a different era, with different schematic mechanics and somewhat different applicable rules and guidelines.  But I can't help but wonder how the current rendition of Razorbacks football players and coaches might, in your estimation, comparably stack up against their vintage counterparts in terms of overall quality, overall strengths and weaknesses, overall competitiveness and overall consensus excellence.  I realize that such consideration is purely subjective in nature; but in view of the results of the past couple of seasons in particular, I'm curious as to how you students of Razorback history might honestly and realistically view the historical comparison factor.

Biggus Piggus

Uh. Wasn't Bill Montgomery. Are you thinking of Jon Brittenum?
[CENSORED]!

boaredstiff

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 24, 2017, 05:40:51 pm
Uh. Wasn't Bill Montgomery. Are you thinking of Jon Brittenum?

Right you are.  I'm 71 years of age, and my memory is not as reliable as it used to be.  I saw both Brittenum and Montgomery play; but I misspoke.  Thanks for pointing that out.`

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: boaredstiff on March 24, 2017, 05:55:21 pm
Right you are.  I'm 71 years of age, and my memory is not as reliable as it used to be.  I saw both Brittenum and Montgomery play; but I misspoke.  Thanks for pointing that out.`

Hey, I do that one all the time (Brittenum and Montgomery). And I'm in my early 50s.

As for trying to do a comparison, this is always hard because the players are so different now, the game is so wide open, etc. But everyone should remember, in the periods you talk about, Arkansas was a TOP 5 program for the decade of the 60s. And a TOP 10 program for the 70s. So clearly we were getting some of the superior athletes of the time.

logic

I saw that game.  After the 20-0 lead, every time until Texas took the lead of 20-21,  Arkansas would run two running plays and then punt on third down. Frank's thinking was no one could score 20 points against Arkansas' defense.

About the only complain I ever had with Frank Broyles was he was too conservative when he had a lead.  I believe Frank shutting down Arkansas' offence with a 14-0 lead cost us the 1969 game against Texas. Of course Frank didn't believe in running up the score partly because opposing coaches have long-term memories.  Regardless, Against Texas, Frank needed to score more point until late in the game.

hamhocks

I too saw that game, however my memory of the
details is not as good as yours.
I was an 18 year old freshman in 1965.
I was still there for the game of the century in 1969
before Uncle Sam said come here boy.

murthage

Reminiscing is sometimes more difficult as you get older.  At 76 my reminiscing begins with last Saturday.

Jackrabbit Hog

What were we just talking about?? ???
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Dwillhog66

Quote from: logic on March 25, 2017, 08:40:14 pm
I saw that game.  After the 20-0 lead, every time until Texas took the lead of 20-21,  Arkansas would run two running plays and then punt on third down. Frank's thinking was no one could score 20 points against Arkansas' defense.

About the only complain I ever had with Frank Broyles was he was too conservative when he had a lead.  I believe Frank shutting down Arkansas' offence with a 14-0 lead cost us the 1969 game against Texas. Of course Frank didn't believe in running up the score partly because opposing coaches have long-term memories.  Regardless, Against Texas, Frank needed to score more point until late in the game.

I don't remember it at all but my uncle always tell the story of me as a 3 year old being at my grandmothers house in St. Paul AR in Madison Co. when he and a few of his buddies were watching that 69 game. He and his friends were all saying 'that damn Frank Broyles cost us this GD game' after it ended. He said the next day I was in church with my grandmother and I was continuously saying 'that damn Frank boy cost us the GD game'. Of course I wasn't saying GD but actually repeating the worst thing a person could say in a church. I'm sure my grandmother was horrified and embarrassed!

LJHOG

logic

Quote from: hamhocks on March 26, 2017, 12:15:00 pm
I too saw that game, however my memory of the
details is not as good as yours.
I was an 18 year old freshman in 1965.
I was still there for the game of the century in 1969
before Uncle Sam said come here boy.
I have a pretty good long-term memory.  It's a short-term memory I don't seem have anymore.

Shrevepork

Yeah, I was there ,too. After the game, it was wild on Dickson.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: boaredstiff on March 24, 2017, 04:54:27 pm
As  a 19 year old college sophomore in 1965, I was there in person when Bill Montgomery & Co. jumped out to a 20-0 lead over Texas, only to have Texas come back to take the lead 24-20 in the 4th quarter, whereupon Montgomery marched the Hogs down the field via "squirrel passes" to score a very late touchdown and claim an ultimate 27-24 victory for Arkansas.  I saw Dickey Morton, Mike Kirkland, Joe Ferguson and many other past Arkansas alums play a number of games in person.  I saw Houston Dale Nutt throw his first official collegiate pass in a backup role.

Granted, that was a different era, with different schematic mechanics and somewhat different applicable rules and guidelines.  But I can't help but wonder how the current rendition of Razorbacks football players and coaches might, in your estimation, comparably stack up against their vintage counterparts in terms of overall quality, overall strengths and weaknesses, overall competitiveness and overall consensus excellence.  I realize that such consideration is purely subjective in nature; but in view of the results of the past couple of seasons in particular, I'm curious as to how you students of Razorback history might honestly and realistically view the historical comparison factor.

Obviously, others have already "reminded you" that it was Jon Brittenum, not Montgomery, on that 1965 team.

Here is a fabulous article by the great Dan Jenkins, as it ran in Sports Illustrated the week after that game:

http://www.si.com/vault/1965/10/25/607384/arkansas-on-top-of-the-world

Biggus Piggus

Best way to compare - in my view - is to look at how many legit pro football players came off teams in different eras. That's an objective measure of the quality of a team's talent, in its own time, measured against the ultimate standard.

Arkansas's mid- to late-1970s football teams produced more solid pros than any other period did.
[CENSORED]!

HogHolio

I hate to be that guy, but every time I see this title I think someone is chopping onions again. 

twistitup

Quote from: logic on March 26, 2017, 06:40:08 pm
I have a pretty good long-term memory.  It's a short-term memory I don't seem have anymore.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

twistitup

Quote from: HogHolio on March 27, 2017, 08:39:03 am
I hate to be that guy, but every time I see this title I think someone is chopping onions again.

No need to mince words
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....