Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Senate Passes Bill Exempting Sports Events from Concealed Carry

Started by gdumont, March 23, 2017, 02:38:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gdumont

The Arkansas Senate passes a bill exempting sporting events from concealed carry. How does that make you feel?

http://www.nwahomepage.com/razorback-nation/hog-fans-react-to-hb1249/679251557

Pig in the Pokey

so stupid. un-checked conservatives running amuck. enjoy the power while it lasts...
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

010HogFan

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 23, 2017, 02:49:18 pm
so stupid. un-checked conservatives running amuck. enjoy the power while it lasts...

huh? they exempted sporting events. meaning the opposite of this.

(notOM)Rebel123

Guns are not allowed at sporting events.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

ricepig

In Arkansas, that will be for a long long time, you might need to move to one of the coasts to be happy.

Hawgar The Horrible

There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

cityhog

My question is this. Did the House of Representatives and Charlie Collins who passed this ridiculous bill consider, for ONE FREAKING SECOND, that the NCAA might possibly give opposing schools the right to refuse to play games in Arkansas because of perceived safety issues for student athletes, visiting fans, coaches, referees? Did they consider, FOR ONE FREAKING SECOND, the possibility that the NCAA would most likely pull any future national championship track meets, baseball regionals or super regionals?

I mean, we've done some REALLY stupid $^#t in this state, but this ranks way up there as one of the all time stupids.

I'm glad the Senate passed the exemption, but my God, are these legislators so blinded by the money for their re-elections that the long and short term ramifications for stupid legislation like this isn't considered? C'mon. Hard enough to defend this state as it is sometimes, but our reps are not making it ANY easier.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: cityhog on March 23, 2017, 03:55:55 pm
My question is this. Did the House of Representatives and Charlie Collins who passed this ridiculous bill consider, for ONE FREAKING SECOND, that the NCAA might possibly give opposing schools the right to refuse to play games in Arkansas because of perceived safety issues for student athletes, visiting fans, coaches, referees? Did they consider, FOR ONE FREAKING SECOND, the possibility that the NCAA would most likely pull any future national championship track meets, baseball regionals or super regionals?

I mean, we've done some REALLY stupid $^#t in this state, but this ranks was up there as one of the all time stupids.

I'm glad the Senate passed the exemption, but my God, are these legislators so blinded by the money for their re-elections that the long and short term ramifications for stupid legislation like this isn't considered? C'mon. Hard enough to defend this state as it is sometimes, but our reps are not making it ANY easier.

Texas, Tennessee and several more States have already passed similar legislation. It ain't a new debate.

cityhog

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on March 23, 2017, 04:01:58 pm
Texas, Tennessee and several more States have already passed similar legislation. It ain't a new debate.

I'd like to think/believe/hope we're a bit more 'evolved' than Texas and Tennessee.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: cityhog on March 23, 2017, 04:07:30 pm
I'd like to think/believe/hope we're a bit more 'evolved' than Texas and Tennessee.

One can dream.

cityhog

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: cityhog on March 23, 2017, 03:55:55 pm

I mean, we've done some REALLY stupid $^#t in this state, but this ranks way up there as one of the all time stupids.

As long as we aren't keeping men from using the lady's room, we'll be ok.
Calm down. It'll be okay.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 23, 2017, 04:28:22 pm
As long as we aren't keeping men from using the lady's room, we'll be ok.
Calm down. It'll be okay.

I prefer that family one in the SEZ, I just grab somebody's kid and go, the line is always real short, compared to the men's. The crying is bothersome with them screaming for their mommy, but when you got to go, you got to go.

oldhawg

Over-reaction (by lawmakers) to a difficult problem, probably with no solution.  Lawmakers receive criticism from people on both sides of the issue regarding guns on school grounds (not talking about guns at sporting events - separate issue in my mind).

In 2015 during a ten month period (Feb to Nov) there were 23 shooting events on college campuses when guns were not allowed on campus (a total of 52 shooting events on all school grounds).

A lot to rail about and criticize.  What's your solution?

Here are all the college campus shootings that year:

Feb. 2, 2015
Minnesota State University, Mankato, Minn.
0 injured, 0 killed, shooter committed suicide

Feb. 5, 2015
University of South Carolina, Columbia, S.C.
1 killed, shooter committed suicide

Feb. 15, 2015
University of Georgia, Athens, Ga.
0 injured, 0 killed

Feb. 23, 2015
Bethune-Cookman University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
3 injured, 0 killed

April 2, 2015
Community College of Beaver County, Beaver Falls, Pa.
1 injured (man accidentally shot himself)

April 2, 2015
Lane College, Jackson, Tenn.
1 injured

April 4, 2015
Everett Community College, Everett, Wash.
0 injured, 0 killed

April 13, 2015
Wayne Community College, Goldsboro, N.C.
1 killed

April 18, 2015
Delaware State University, Dover, Del.
3 injured

April 19, 2015
Johnson C. Smith University, Charlotte, N.C.
1 injured

April 19, 2015
Delaware State University, Dover, Del.
0 injured, 0 killed

May 4, 2015
Utah Valley University, Orem, Utah
1 injured (accidental shooting)

July 27, 2015
University of Florida-Gainesville, Gainesville, Fla.
0 injured, 0 killed

Aug. 8, 2015
Wichita State University, Wichita, Kan.
1 killed

Aug. 26, 2015
Texas Southern University, Houston, Texas
1 killed, 1 injured

Aug. 27, 2015
Savannah State University, Savannah, Ga.
1 killed

Sept. 3, 2015
Sacramento City College, Sacramento, Calif.
1 killed, 2 injured

Sept. 14, 2015
Delta State University, Cleveland, Miss.
1 killed

Sept. 28, 2015
Montana Tech of the University of Montana, Butte, Mont.
0 injured, 0 killed

Oct. 1, 2015
Umpqua Community College, Roseburg, Ore.
9 dead, 9 injured, shooter committed suicide

Oct. 9, 2015
1 injured

Oct. 9, 2015
1 killed, 1 injured

Oct. 9, 2015
Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, Ariz.
1 killed, 3 injured

Hog Fan...DOH!

^^ In reading about those incidents am I supposed to believe that having more guns makes campus life safer? 

There are 4140 colleges in the US.  If there were 52 shooting incidents on all college campuses in 2015, that means there was a .012% risk of a shooting incident on a college campus. 

Inhogswetrust

Liberals carry guns as well.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

goodguytex

What we really need is yet another thread talking about the exact same thing. Three just isn't enough!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: cityhog on March 23, 2017, 04:07:30 pm

Really? Both of them have bigger economies and population than Arkansas.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HamSammich

Quote from: gdumont on March 23, 2017, 02:38:22 pm
The Arkansas Senate passes a bill exempting sporting events from concealed carry. How does that make you feel?

http://www.nwahomepage.com/razorback-nation/hog-fans-react-to-hb1249/679251557

liquor and guns don't mix. I don't know how you grew up... but if drunk folks could carry in any game I wouldn't go to any game.

edit: moderator with 80 posts starts  a potential debate.... go figure.

goodguytex

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 23, 2017, 05:30:33 pm
Really? Both of them have bigger economies and population than Arkansas.
Well, don't you know Texas and Tennessee have to be completely uncivilized and backwards with their better economies and more populations and all. Sometimes I wonder if people that make comments ever venture outside the borders of their own state.

factchecker

Quote from: HamSammich on March 23, 2017, 05:32:33 pm
liquor and guns don't mix. I don't know how you grew up... but if drunk folks could carry in any game I wouldn't go to any game.

edit: moderator with 80 posts starts  a potential debate.... go figure.

Gene is a reporter with Razorback Nation.  He only posts news articles.  The mod title is just that.

Look for your martyrdom elsewhere.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: goodguytex on March 23, 2017, 05:34:37 pm
Well, don't you know Texas and Tennessee have to be completely uncivilized and backwards with their better economies and more populations and all. Sometimes I wonder if people that make comments ever venture outside the borders of their own state.

I live in Tennessee. Despite both of them having larger economies and populations I would prefer to live in Arkansas and I'd love to move back to NWA. At some point we plan to do so. There are uncivilized and stupid people in every state.

HamSammich

Quote from: factchecker on March 23, 2017, 05:38:04 pm
Gene is a reporter with Razorback Nation.  He only posts news articles.  The mod title is just that.

Look for your martyrdom elsewhere.

I look to you for ridiculous scarlet colored sychophantic posts... feeling is mutual. I laugh

when I log in I usually ask  myself... "Whos buttocks is the leech named "factchecker" going to firmly attach himself too. I'm never disappointed.

goodguytex

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 23, 2017, 05:43:20 pm
I live in Tennessee. Despite both of them having larger economies and populations I would prefer to live in Arkansas and I'd love to move back to NWA. At some point we plan to do so. There are uncivilized and stupid people in every state.
Absolutely! NW Arkansas is a place I really love to visit when I can. I am in Texas most days, live in Arkansas. I see plenty of stupid and smart both places.

Arkansas is my home. Always has been always will be. But there is a world outside of our state. And people would be surprised how similar it is to what we see where we live.