Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guess the name of the national college hoop writer

Started by Biggus Piggus, March 07, 2005, 10:26:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

who wrote this:

"It's Broyles who created this mess by jumping after Heath in the first place.  One season with a team full of players who openly rebelled against him at the start, then won big when he backed off and let them play their game -- and he gets a million a year at a legit basketball school?  These are the consequences.  Why would we have any reason to believe it would be different than this?"
[CENSORED]!

hogfan98

WilsonHog

Porquemada

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 07, 2005, 10:26:36 pm
who wrote this:

"It's Broyles who created this mess by jumping after me in the first place.  One season with a team full of players who openly rebelled against me at the start, then won big when I backed off and let them play their game -- and I get a million a year at a legit basketball school?  These are the consequences.  Why would you have any reason to believe it would be different than this?"
Stan Heath using a pen name?

gatecrasher

Translation: I wore Cinderella's glass slippers and floated to the Elite Eight with a team with above-average talent, then by the grace of God, someone at a tradition-rich SEC school decided that that qualified me to coach at that school.  But, unfortunately, glass breaks!  And it takes more than Cinderella's slippers and a point guard that just made the Pro Bowl as a tight end (Antonio Gates) to be a coach in the SEC. 

bknight33

Bracketology Man, Ivan Maisel, Michael Wilbon, Clay Henry, Vernon Tarver??

Calvin N Hawgs

Niels Boar

Heath got the perfect draw that year, too.  His Kent St. team was good, no doubt, but Bama was overseeded.  I didn't hesitate to pick Kent St. in that game.  They then got Bama's high-seed draw.  Kent St. was a legit Sweet Sixteen team, but they would not have advanced to the Elite Eight in most regionals.

Macgyver_Hawg

who wrote this:

"It's Broyles who created this mess by jumping after Heath in the first place. One season with a team full of players who openly rebelled against him at the start, then won big when he backed off and let them play their game -- and he gets a million a year at a legit basketball school? These are the consequences. Why would we have any reason to believe it would be different than this?"

Where is this written, anywhere online?  A family member of mine insists that he heard Stan say in an interview the Kent State players didn't like his system and wanted to go back to their old one from the former coach, but Stan firmly held his ground and the players started winning.

Which is it?

Biggus Piggus

It was not written online.  It was written in an e-mail to me.  If Heath said he held his ground, well, he held something, but he reverted from his set plays to Gary Waters' motion offense.
[CENSORED]!

HogDodging

When was that written?

As far as a guess as to who wrote it, I know for sure it wasn't Wally.  There are no cliches and it actually makes sense.

Brett Hitman Hog

Macgyver_Hawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 08, 2005, 12:25:37 pm
It was not written online. It was written in an e-mail to me. If Heath said he held his ground, well, he held something, but he reverted from his set plays to Gary Waters' motion offense.

I've heard numerous places that he let his players play their old offense, but a family member disagrees saying we'd never hire him because of that.  I wouldn't put it past us.

Jim Harris

Quote from: MacGyver_Hawg on March 08, 2005, 12:24:02 pm
who wrote this:

"It's Broyles who created this mess by jumping after Heath in the first place. One season with a team full of players who openly rebelled against him at the start, then won big when he backed off and let them play their game -- and he gets a million a year at a legit basketball school? These are the consequences. Why would we have any reason to believe it would be different than this?"

Where is this written, anywhere online? A family member of mine insists that he heard Stan say in an interview the Kent State players didn't like his system and wanted to go back to their old one from the former coach, but Stan firmly held his ground and the players started winning.

Which is it?

Every story at the Elite Eight when Kent State played Indiana referred to the 4-4 start and how the players met with Heath over the offense and they went back to playing the motion offense of the year before under Waters. I would assume these stories weren't made up.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Biggus Piggus

Heath compromised with them.  He agreed to let them run their motion offense, if they committed to his rebounding and defensive principles.  Also he demanded that they stay into the game on the sidelines and enthusiastically support their teammates on the floor.  It all came together after that.  In four seasons as a head coach he still has not installed an offense and gotten it to work.
[CENSORED]!

mikeirwin

March 08, 2005, 05:13:59 pm #16 Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 05:15:41 pm by mikeirwin
who wrote this:

Whoever wrote it doesn't know their *** from a hole in the ground.
Frank did not jump after Heath. The committee did. Frank sent out feelers to Bill Self. Self wanted more money than the Uof A lawyers advised Frank to pay. There was that "Nolan thing" hanging over their heads. Can't pay the new coach more than Nolan unless he's Black.
  Frank realized that he couldn't get an established winner for 1.034 million so he gave up and let the committee have it's way.

hogmary

There's a reason why, when it looked like Houston was going to Nebraska, Frank said that this time there would be no search committee, he would make the decision.  I also heard that the Kent State players rebelled against Heath's "system"...from a coach who knows a coach in another sport at Kent State.  The star player said he would not play Heath's system and the others backed him up.   It was let them play the way they'd been coached previously, or face a total player revolt.

NuttsSacked

Quote from: hogmary on March 08, 2005, 05:52:27 pm
There's a reason why, when it looked like Houston was going to Nebraska, Frank said that this time there would be no search committee, he would make the decision. I also heard that the Kent State players rebelled against Heath's "system"...from a coach who knows a coach in another sport at Kent State. The star player said he would not play Heath's system and the others backed him up. It was let them play the way they'd been coached previously, or face a total player revolt.

Having watched the flat-footed, no screening, no rotation "train wreck" of an offense Heath puts on the floor, I can believe that.

justmakeit2thebcs

WilsonHog

Two observations:

(1) I wonder what lessons Stan learned from his first player revolt? 

(2) If JFB settled for him, then that tells me his life expectancy as a basketball coach at UA isn't as long as it would have been if he'd been JFB's first choice.  It also tells me that is the man JFB wants is available and ready to come, a loss to Tennessee coupled with a loss to UALR or UAB in the NIT might get Heath Crowed.   

Oklahawg

Wilson, I believe you've just entered a new verb into the hognation lexicon:

"to crowe"--verb, from the late 20C western Ozark character Jack Crowe; indicates a stunning screw up so inconceivably foul that it costs someone (an otherwise secure) job; synonymous with cluster-frick and FUBAR, but generally is used when more eloquence is required, or more tact appropriate.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on March 08, 2005, 07:31:26 pm
http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/columnists/terry_pluto/2809545.htm

read and quit trying to remember what you think you remember 3 years ago.

I have seen stories that portray it as Stan getting players to buy into his system, but those were the wire service and USA Today stories; and I have seen stories that talk to the players and say both sides compromised, with the players winning out on their motion offense.  I know what said source above told me, and he was very close to the matter.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 08, 2005, 05:13:59 pm
who wrote this:

Frank did not jump after Heath. The committee did. Frank sent out feelers to Bill Self. Self wanted more money than the Uof A lawyers advised Frank to pay. There was that "Nolan thing" hanging over their heads. Can't pay the new coach more than Nolan unless he's Black.
  Frank realized that he couldn't get an established winner for 1.034 million so he gave up and let the committee have it's way.

Said source contends Frank chose Heath once he moved on from Self, and committee rubber-stamped it.  That's the way I recall it going down too.
[CENSORED]!

gatecrasher

Quote from: Oklahawg on March 09, 2005, 11:36:12 am
Wilson, I believe you've just entered a new verb into the hognation lexicon:

"to crowe"--verb, from the late 20C western Ozark character The Grim Reaper of Arkansas Football; indicates a stunning screw up so inconceivably foul that it costs someone (an otherwise secure) job; synonymous with cluster-frick and FUBAR, but generally is used when more eloquence is required, or more tact appropriate.
Good one!!  (e.g.  lose to a 1-AA all-boys military academy located in Charleston, SC).

mikeirwin

March 09, 2005, 08:29:41 pm #25 Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 08:32:52 pm by mikeirwin
Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 09, 2005, 11:54:55 am
Quote from: mikeirwin on March 08, 2005, 05:13:59 pm
who wrote this:

Said source contends Frank chose Heath once he moved on from Self, and committee rubber-stamped it. That's the way I recall it going down too.
Heath was brought in for an interview and the committee went bonkers over him. He was the complete opposite of Nolan. Non threatening, low key. The whole state was so tired of Nolan's rants that Heath seemed like the way to go.
No, they didn't look under the surface enough. That story about the near revolt of his players before the winning streak started was out there but nobody paid much attention to it. Plus the rumor was Heath already had other offers with more to come.
I think Frank's attitude was, I can't pay enough to get an established winner. This guy's the hot property so okay, I guess we'll hire him.
Like I said in another post Frank wasn't opposed to Heath but he would have gone in another direction had the rumored Nolan lawsuit not limited what he could spend for a coach.