Arkansas (W) - loss to VTech by 11
Scarolina (E) - loss to South Florida by 7
Vanderbilt (E) - annihilated by NC State
MSU (W) - beat Miami Ohio by 1
Ole Miss (W)
Missouri (E)

Wins - 6
Losses - 7

Looks like SEC was fairly middle of the pack this time around. Why anyone would ever chant SEC SEC SEC is beyond me, all the more when the past 2 years are mildly in decline in terms of competitiveness. ::hornsdown::

LRRandy

Of the bowl games participated in by sec teams not named Alabama only 3 games featured the sec team vs a ranked opponent. The sec ( minus Alabama) went 5-6 against mostly mediocre competition while losing 2 of the three games that they actually played a ranked team.
This is fun, isn't it.

Sportster365

The ACC looked like the most competitive league this year in college football. Although I still think the SECW is definitely the toughest division.

31to6

Quote from: LRRandy on January 11, 2017, 04:18:22 pm
Of the bowl games participated in by sec teams not named Alabama only 3 games featured the sec team vs a ranked opponent. The sec ( minus Alabama) went 5-6 against mostly mediocre competition while losing 2 of the three games that they actually played a ranked team.
It is worth noting that this is usually not the case.

Usually the SEC is playing "up" in a bowl, with matchups like the 3rd best team in the SEC-W, 5th overall, playing the 2nd or 3rd best team in the B12.

The SEC was definitely down. Horribly flawed teams all over the place.

Hogarusa

Why do people need bowl games to determine this instead of the 14 week season?
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

jgphillips3

Quote from: Hogarusa on January 11, 2017, 05:22:24 pm
Why do people need bowl games to determine this instead of the 14 week season?

Because after those 14 weeks the talking heads were raving about the B1G being hands down the best league based on those 14 weeks and they got destroyed in the bowls proving the ACC, PAC12 and SEC were still better than their absolute best.

Gents, I believe, overall, we went 5-8 not 6-7.

tophawg19

no it was 6-7 . count them in the op
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

LRRandy

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 11, 2017, 05:28:55 pm
Because after those 14 weeks the talking heads were raving about the B1G being hands down the best league based on those 14 weeks and they got destroyed in the bowls proving the ACC, PAC12 and SEC were still better than their absolute best.
laughable. To make Hogarusa's point,  one exhibition game is valued as greater than a 12 game season when said outcome validates ones own agenda. ACC I'll give you. The sec though is definately behind the B1G this year.
This is fun, isn't it.

Hogwild

Quote from: LRRandy on January 11, 2017, 04:18:22 pm

Curious, whose rankings were you using?  The AP had OU(7), Louisville(15), Va Tech(18), Iowa(21), and Nebraska(24)  all ranked in their poll heading into the bowl games.  The SEC won 3 of those 5.

I would say that the ACC had the best conference and best division (Atlantic) this year. 

LRRandy

Quote from: Hogwild on January 11, 2017, 05:47:04 pm
Curious, whose rankings were you using?  The AP had OU(7), Louisville(15), Va Tech(18), Iowa(21), and Nebraska(24)  all ranked in their poll heading into the bowl games.  The SEC won 3 of those 5.

I would say that the ACC had the best conference and best division (Atlantic) this year.
CFP ranking. The one used to determine playoff and NY 6.

Agree on ACC after bowl results. Season long though. Only two ACC teams finish in top 10.
This is fun, isn't it.

HOGINTENNESSEE

tophawg19

the top half of the SEC did well , it was the bottom half that got beat . But at least the Ohio state u . got smoked . and the top half of the big 10 lost
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Hogarusa

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 11, 2017, 05:28:55 pm

ohio st was shut down by the national champion
Michigan lost by 1 to Florida St in miami
penn St lost on last play to USC in Pasadena

I dont know how those results take away from a full season slate
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

jgphillips3

Quote from: LRRandy on January 11, 2017, 05:45:43 pm
laughable. To make Hogarusa's point,  one exhibition game is valued as greater than a 12 game season when said outcome validates ones own agenda. ACC I'll give you. The sec though is definately behind the B1G this year.

So, remind me again how the B1G did against the SEC in bowls this year?  Wasn't it 0-2?  Didn't 4 of your top 5 lose and mighty Wisconsin have to survive a scare from the the juggernaut of Western Michigan?  The reason the regular season means nothing when considering the B1G is because they rarely play anybody who can give you a gauge and their 10-2, 11-1 records are built playing their own weaker teams.  I think maybe me saying the PAC12 was better is a stretch but the SEC was the second best conference this year...we just had teams with flaws for a change and no solid favorite behind Bama.

LRRandy

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 11, 2017, 06:29:04 pm
So, remind me again how the B1G did against the SEC in bowls this year?  Wasn't it 0-2?  Didn't 4 of your top 5 lose and mighty Wisconsin have to survive a scare from the the juggernaut of Western Michigan?  The reason the regular season means nothing when considering the B1G is because they rarely play anybody who can give you a gauge and their 10-2, 11-1 records are built playing their own weaker teams.  I think maybe me saying the PAC12 was better is a stretch but the SEC was the second best conference this year...we just had teams with flaws for a change and no solid favorite behind Bama.
a home game against a team without its starting qb or leading playmaker. Congrats. Another home game as a divisional champion playing an unranked team that finished 5th in its conference. Salute. I'd beat my chest too.

Maybe if the sec had more than one team that won more than 8 games it could have sent a representative to the upper tier bowls to face off against one of the 4 teams from the B1G that won 10 or more games. However, the mediocre season by the conference, lead to playing mediocre teams ( 3 of 11 games against ranked opponents) in mid tier bowls. And finished ......mediocre. Sub .500, including Bamas win.

This is fun, isn't it.

Auburn