Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This idea could really hurt college football

Started by hogsanity, January 11, 2017, 10:12:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/could-this-pro-football-league-help-fix-a-nagging-nfl-draft-problem-100508944.html

200 spots open to kids right out of HS. If this is a success or the NFL gets behind it, I could see up to 4 regional leagues - Cal, FLa, TX and the Northeast - which would mean up to 800 spots for players right out of hs or college fr/sophs.

Now, will it be financially viable, that is the question.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

code red

It will never happen.  That is a league of men.....not boys.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

hogsanity

Quote from: code red on January 11, 2017, 10:14:40 am
It will never happen.  That is a league of men.....not boys.

Well, the league being proposed is tailored specifically for players no more than 4 years out of HS. You dont think guys are going to take the money and insurance over going to school and playing "for free".
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Wildhog

Cool. People should be able to market their skills outside of amateur athletics.

I'll watch the Hogs, regardless.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogsanity

Quote from: Wildhog on January 11, 2017, 10:32:42 am
Cool. People should be able to market their skills outside of amateur athletics.

Agree, I have no issue with this league, was just wondering how people feel it might affect college football.

jkstock04

Pretty interesting read. Would this hurt the blue chip teams more so than middle of the road teams like the Hogs? I think it's possible... therefore maybe a good thing for us.

I liked this excerpt:
"Scouts often bristle at closed practices (which won't be an issue in Pac Pro), or schools that limit game tape for prospects or lean on student-privacy laws to hide injury or disciplinary issues. It's part of why the draft is such a crapshoot."

Also talked about how these coaches (qb position in particular) don't prepare these kids for the NFL.

Like i said...interesting read. If you are a NFL football fan gotta say there are lots of pros to this idea. I think it will water the college game down some and especially hurt the Bamas of college football.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Gonzo

Quote from: hogsanity on January 11, 2017, 10:28:42 am
Well, the league being proposed is tailored specifically for players no more than 4 years out of HS. You dont think guys are going to take the money and insurance over going to school and playing "for free".

Hard to say. They're only planning to pay about the players about $50K, still lagging behind much of the SEC

Go Hogs!

jkstock04

Quote from: Gonzo on January 11, 2017, 10:39:43 am

Hard to say. They're only planning to pay about the players about $50K, still lagging behind much of the SEC

Go Hogs!
LOL good point.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Been thinking about a similar idea for years.  May not be a great financial operation but would attract many, many good to great players who have zero inclination to go to college.  There are hundreds of possible football players who could be taught the game without the schooling, especially the non-glorious positions.

I see this as a way to earn reasonable money while learning the game of football. If you haven't made it in 4 years you leave or you are let go.  Someday, the NCAA will quit bullshitting the Country about this use of amateur labor to collect professional money for the schools.  I could see a player earning a living at the NFL prep league until let go there and then being recruited into college to play 4 years.  You watch this happen and it should.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 11, 2017, 10:38:11 am
Pretty interesting read. Would this hurt the blue chip teams more so than middle of the road teams like the Hogs? I think it's possible... therefore maybe a good thing for us.

I liked this excerpt:
"Scouts often bristle at closed practices (which won't be an issue in Pac Pro), or schools that limit game tape for prospects or lean on student-privacy laws to hide injury or disciplinary issues. It's part of why the draft is such a crapshoot."

Also talked about how these coaches (qb position in particular) don't prepare these kids for the NFL.

Like i said...interesting read. If you are a NFL football fan gotta say there are lots of pros to this idea. I think it will water the college game down some and especially hurt the Bamas of college football.

The coach's job is to win, not prepare players for the nfl.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

jkstock04

Quote from: 12247 on January 11, 2017, 10:42:48 am
Been thinking about a similar idea for years.  May not be a great financial operation but would attract many, many good to great players who have zero inclination to go to college.  There are hundreds of possible football players who could be taught the game without the schooling, especially the non-glorious positions.

I see this as a way to earn reasonable money while learning the game of football. If you haven't made it in 4 years you leave or you are let go.  Someday, the NCAA will quit bullshitting the Country about this use of amateur labor to collect professional money for the schools.  I could see a player earning a living at the NFL prep league until let go there and then being recruited into college to play 4 years.  You watch this happen and it should.
You don't think the NCAA will see this as an immediate end of eligibility? That's what I assumed.

How does it work in baseball if a kid goes straight out of high school? Is he allowed back onto a college team if the minor leagues don't work out?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

NuttinItUp

Does the CFL or Arena football allow younger players to play?

If they do, it seems like they would have more money than a startup league.

EastexHawg

Quote from: 12247 on January 11, 2017, 10:42:48 am
I could see a player earning a living at the NFL prep league until let go there and then being recruited into college to play 4 years.  You watch this happen and it should.

Professional football players will not be allowed to play college football, nor should they be.  Decisions have consequences and players need to understand that once they open the play for pay door the playing in college door is permanently shut and locked.

Wildhog

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 11, 2017, 11:08:56 am
Professional football players will not be allowed to play college football, nor should they be.  Decisions have consequences and players need to understand that once they open the play for pay door the playing in college door is permanently shut and locked.

Yep. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Bacon_Bitz

Good idea that would only help middle of the pack teams like Arkansas

Cletus

I've thought this is what should happen for quite some time.
See, what had happened was........

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: hogsanity on January 11, 2017, 10:36:14 am
Agree, I have no issue with this league, was just wondering how people feel it might affect college football.
would hurt teams who actually sign 5*s much more than us.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

DoctorSusscrofa

Go Hogs!

That awesome. The new league could get any good players Bama, OM, and Aubie don't want.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

hogsanity

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 11, 2017, 11:05:32 am
Does the CFL or Arena football allow younger players to play?

If they do, it seems like they would have more money than a startup league.

Not sure on age, but the cfl limits the # of non-canadian players on each team, so it is really not an option for many US players. The arena league pays almost nothing and is really only a glorified 7 on 7 drill.

Inhogswetrust

Go Hogs!

And college players are insured against injury. When they get hurt the athletic department insurance pays for it and their rehab with state of the art facilities.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

factchecker

Quote from: Wildhog on January 11, 2017, 10:32:42 am

I agree.  I don't care if they take the top 1000 high school prospects and form a semi-pro league. If the Razorbacks are playing then I'm watching.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hogsanity

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 11, 2017, 11:42:08 am
And college players are insured against injury. When they get hurt the athletic department insurance pays for it and their rehab with state of the art facilities.

the article says the players will have workmans comp, and the players or their agents would be bale to buy insurance against career ending injury.

Ironhawg

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 11, 2017, 11:34:01 am
would hurt teams who actually sign 5*s much more than us.

Wouldn't there be a trickle down effect though?  If Bama, Ohio State, etc can't get their usual supply of 5 stars won't they then just dip further into the supply of 4 stars which reduces the number available to teams like Arkansas?

hogsanity

Quote from: Ironhawg on January 11, 2017, 11:44:07 am
Wouldn't there be a trickle down effect though?  If Bama, Ohio State, etc can't get their usual supply of 5 stars won't they then just dip further into the supply of 4 stars which reduces the number available to teams like Arkansas?

yep, just like when the scholarship limit was unlimited. Schools like Texas and Bama would just sign guys to keep other teams from having them.

factchecker

I still think the baseball model is the best model.

Give prospects the chance to go pro out of high school.  If they sign/enroll with a university then they have to give 3 years to the school.

This model should be applied to basketball as well.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

tophawg19

this league will be made up in large part by a bunch of excellent players whose grades won't get them into a college . and kids who might could get in but don't want to waste 2 years of their lives taking b.s courses like art, music appreciation etc
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

jdevers

The baseball model is the best, but works mostly because talent is more obvious in baseball and evaluation is just easier.  Baseball is easier than basketball and basketball is easier than football as far as talent evaluation.  The NFL gripes about colleges but they sure like the 3+ years of free evaluation they get and they STILL have bad drafts all the time.  Drafting for football players out of high school would combine the draft chaos with recruiting misses seen in college to yield a true crapshoot.

code red

Quote from: hogsanity on January 11, 2017, 10:28:42 am
I don't think they would last a week.  High school weightrooms and nutrition of high school athletes????.....they would be squashed like little bugs.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Suidae Suis Scrofa

I think this will really help college football.  It will help eliminate some of the "scholar athlete" pretense, attracting skilled players with no desire to study.

I've thought that this sort of option has been needed for a while - very similar to what minor league baseball offers.  If this could be officially sanctioned by the NFL, with a path to NFL playing time then it would have even more potential.  If it actually happens I give it <25% chance of lasting 5 years.

-phil

Hoggish1

Go Hogs!

Good awareness, Gonzo!

factchecker

Quote from: code red on January 11, 2017, 11:58:56 am
I don't think they would last a week.  High school weightrooms and nutrition of high school athletes????.....they would be squashed like little bugs.

Not everbody is a little bug in high school:

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

NuttinItUp

Quote from: hogsanity on January 11, 2017, 11:41:50 am
Not sure on age, but the cfl limits the # of non-canadian players on each team, so it is really not an option for many US players. The arena league pays almost nothing and is really only a glorified 7 on 7 drill.

It looks like (according to the FAQ section about their rules), 21 out of the 44-person roster on each team must be Canadian citizens when they sign their first contract. So, for US players, they would have to either 1) get dual citizenship before signing, or 2) be one of the 23 non-citizens allowed on each team.

I expect if someone was good enough, then they would sign him.

It looks like kids have toyed with the idea of going to the CFL out of high school before instead of college:
https://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/04/bryce-brown-to-the-cfl/?_r=1

hogfan14

Quote from: factchecker on January 11, 2017, 11:49:05 am
I still think the baseball model is the best model.

Give prospects the chance to go pro out of high school.  If they sign/enroll with a university then they have to give 3 years to the school.

This model should be applied to basketball as well.

Agree with you from the athlete's perspective, but college baseball would be much more popular than it is now if they did make it more like college basketball

go hogues

Total compensation is about $50,000 per season. Each player will be paid equally. There is also full worker's comp and, among other things, a tuition reimbursement at a community college should a player choose to use it in the offseason.

Ole Miss is gonna have to up their ante again.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

DeltaBoy

Bad Idea!  They just need to let college pay them .
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hobhog

Without a solid long term TV contract they will be broke and bankrupt in no time. Who is going to pay it? Who will watch? Who will go sit in stands? Not worried.

hogsanity

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 11, 2017, 12:48:07 pm

but that gets back to are the colleges going to pay all 85 on scholarship the same, are they also going to pay other sports, if not they will run into Title IX lawsuits so fats your head will spin.

pfrg999

As long as they pay the women's Diving team and every other Athlete the same... If they dont, Lawsuit brigade
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

PorkSoda

Quote from: hogsanity on January 11, 2017, 10:36:14 am
I'm split.  its obviously not good for college football, but giving players the option to get paid or go to school would alleviate all the whining about not paying players.  college is amateur sports.  ie not getting paid is part of the definition.

A lot of players use athletic scholarships to get an education.  I would hate for that to go away, but not all players are college material and they should have other options.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

no they don't, AMATEUR ATHLETICS by definition is unpaid.

if you are going to pay them then you might as well do away with going to class requirements and 4 year eligibility and everything else that defines college sports.

if you want a semi pro league, then just build one, dont ruin college sports.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

jgphillips3

Well, we destroyed college basketball, I guess we can destroy the last great college sport as well.

Razoryak

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 11, 2017, 10:38:11 am

I liked this excerpt:

It will have an equal effect on the total product ... Instead of Bama taking the players they do now, it will just trickle to them taking the top quality prospects middle of the road recruiting schools like us usually get and we will rob from Arkansas State etc....
Woo Pig

FrankCourtneyNicodemus

Quote from: Razoryak on January 11, 2017, 02:36:52 pm
It will have an equal effect on the total product ... Instead of Bama taking the players they do now, it will just trickle to them taking the top quality prospects middle of the road recruiting schools like us usually get and we will rob from Arkansas State etc....

Or what if schools, p5 programs that are the only one in their state, continue to lock down most the instate talent?

PorkSoda

Quote from: Razoryak on January 11, 2017, 02:36:52 pm
there are many many more 3 stars than 5 stars.
but just because a play can go the D-league route doesn't mean they will.  some will be more interested in the money up front, but others will still want either a college education or to be coached by Saban, etc.  plus most fans would primarily still watch thier school of choice.  so its unlikely that players would get the same exposure in a D-league as in college.

lstewart

The initial league is for 4 teams of 50 players in California, 200 total players. At 85 scholarships, that would basically be 2.5 college teams. Unless they signed all 5 star players, it would not even be noticeable to college football. If it grew into 4 regions and 800 players, that would be like taking 10 teams worth of scholarship athletes. Might be a little trickle down impact then, but not huge. For this to succeed, the NFL would basically have to foot the bill. These leagues can never cover their costs on their own, so the NFL would have to decide it was a good idea and pay. If it got really, really, really big, in theory it might get to be like baseball. But look at Hog baseball, we enjoy it, have good teams, and have players that make the pros. So although it might give some talented players a new route to the NFL, it is not going to be that big an issue to college football unless they grow to the point where they can sign thousands of players.

PorkSoda

Quote from: lstewart on January 11, 2017, 03:07:51 pm
The initial league is for 4 teams of 50 players in California, 200 total players. At 85 scholarships, that would basically be 2.5 college teams. Unless they signed all 5 star players, it would not even be noticeable to college football. If it grew into 4 regions and 800 players, that would be like taking 10 teams worth of scholarship athletes. Might be a little trickle down impact then, but not huge. For this to succeed, the NFL would basically have to foot the bill. These leagues can never cover their costs on their own, so the NFL would have to decide it was a good idea and pay. If it got really, really, really big, in theory it might get to be like baseball. But look at Hog baseball, we enjoy it, have good teams, and have players that make the pros. So although it might give some talented players a new route to the NFL, it is not going to be that big an issue to college football unless they grow to the point where they can sign thousands of players.
I agree, at this point it be like deciding to work your way up to the NFL by signing on to a practice squad.  nobody but people from your home town are even going to care one way or the other, and its certainly not going to take any prime time TV slots.

hogsanity

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 11, 2017, 03:15:16 pm
I agree, at this point it be like deciding to work your way up to the NFL by signing on to a practice squad.  nobody but people from your home town are even going to care one way or the other, and its certainly not going to take any prime time TV slots.

Not the point. What if the NFL puts money into it? What if Nike & Under Armor get involved. IF a player is not going to college they can sign with agents, and augment their salary. Plus players can go get a job during the off season unlike now if they are on scholarship.

hog of steele

Meh. Having rules that keep it from being truly competitive (development over winning) will keep it from having real fans. Its just another semi pro league. And its a good option for folks who can't get into school and folks who just dont want to go to school.

College ball will still be the better choice for getting on TV for the foreseeable future. This will keep large talent pools in college.

What I like about this is that it affirms our system. CBB should double down on the idea that we run a pro style system. Find pro coordinators and port that stuff right into college. It seems that pro coaches notice and it helps with the draft. This has to be a recruiting plus.

PorkSoda

Quote from: hogsanity on January 11, 2017, 03:32:30 pm
Not the point. What if the NFL puts money into it? What if Nike & Under Armor get involved. IF a player is not going to college they can sign with agents, and augment their salary. Plus players can go get a job during the off season unlike now if they are on scholarship.
so what.  I still don't think it will be able to compete with college for viewership.  college fans are fans of their college first.   how often to the put minor league baseball on TV? 

as far as I'm concerned they can make thier little D-league to feed some players into the system and give HS players a choice between going there or college, but the moment they sign with an agent or get paid to join one of those teams, its going to make them ineligible for college.  it will hurt the JUCO leagues more than anything.  but elite players are going to want the exposer major colleges give

31to6

Quote from: hogsanity on January 11, 2017, 10:12:23 am
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/could-this-pro-football-league-help-fix-a-nagging-nfl-draft-problem-100508944.html

200 spots open to kids right out of HS. If this is a success or the NFL gets behind it, I could see up to 4 regional leagues - Cal, FLa, TX and the Northeast - which would mean up to 800 spots for players right out of hs or college fr/sophs.

Now, will it be financially viable, that is the question.
A college degree is worth more than the $200k they are paying for 4 years of "semi-pro/dev league" FB. (The average lifetime income of a college graduate is $650k higher than those with just high school education. That additional earning potential is the best hedge against injury possible.)

Should be very good story when recruiting against this--for players who can succeed academically.

For those who can't--even with the lavish academic support big programs provide--well this league provides an alternative path to the NFL.

If it isn't a marketable product (ie: no natural fanbase) that competes with college football for eyeballs then a NFL-caliber player is better off being showcased on ESPN and CBS in primetime than on the Ocho with the other marginal sports.

I don't think it will impact (at least for a while) the average high-school recruit. It will probably thin-out the JUCO ranks a bit, since a lot of the players who get sent to JUCO place a low priority on academics and just want a way to play in the NFL.