Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How real is the Kentucky effect?

Started by BRHogfan, January 11, 2017, 10:08:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BRHogfan

We've said this before about Alabama in football.  That playing against a team that executes that well, that takes you out of your game by having better and more organized athletes than any other team you will play all season has an effect that bleeds into the next game.

Arkansas Lost to Miss. State after losing to Kentucky
Texas A&M lost to South Carolina after losing to Kentucky
Ole Miss lost to Florida after losing to Kentucky
Louisville lost to Virginia after beating Kentucky
UNC won against North Iowa (currently sitting at 5-10) after losing to Kentucky
Valparaiso beat Missouri State (11-6, but Valpo was down by 5 at half and only won by 3) after losing to Kentucky
UCLA beat Michigan after beating Kentucky
Arizona State beat UNVL (currently 9-9) after losing to Kentucky
Michigan State beat Mississippi Valley (currently 1-15) after losing to Kentucky

Is the Kentucky effect real?  I don't know, but it will bear further testing in the SEC.  The most recent results of the SEC teams and Louisville are rather damning, but only Arkansas was heavily favored in the game they lost.

cardsNhogs

Big Boi

Quote from: BRHogfan on January 11, 2017, 10:08:44 am

We've said this before about Alabama in football.  That playing against a team that executes that well, that takes you out of your game by having better and more organized athletes than any other team you will play all season has an effect that bleeds into the next game.

Arkansas Lost to Miss. State after losing to Kentucky
Texas A&M lost to South Carolina after losing to Kentucky
Ole Miss lost to Florida after losing to Kentucky
Louisville lost to Virginia after beating Kentucky
UNC won against North Iowa (currently sitting at 5-10) after losing to Kentucky
Valparaiso beat Missouri State (11-6, but Valpo was down by 5 at half and only won by 3) after losing to Kentucky
UCLA beat Michigan after beating Kentucky
Arizona State beat UNVL (currently 9-9) after losing to Kentucky
Michigan State beat Mississippi Valley (currently 1-15) after losing to Kentucky

Is the Kentucky effect real?  I don't know, but it will bear further testing in the SEC.  The most recent results of the SEC teams and Louisville are rather damning, but only Arkansas was heavily favored in the game they lost.

The SEC teams that lost were on the road. We should have never got beat at home by Miss St in the manner thr did.

hogsanity

The real question is what will the MSU effect be? This team could be very close to tanking.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

LR_Matt

UK effect very real better question is how long will the Anderson effect last.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Big Boi on January 11, 2017, 10:40:31 am
The SEC teams that lost were on the road. We should have never got beat at home by Miss St in the manner thr did.
What do you mean in the manner that we did? Did we get blown out or something? I don't understand... :-\
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

phadedhawg

Quote from: hogsanity on January 11, 2017, 10:46:41 am
The real question is what will the MSU effect be? This team could be very close to tanking.

That's my biggest fear and what I'm sensing at the moment....

hogsanity

Quote from: phadedhawg on January 11, 2017, 01:12:26 pm

I think they beat Mizzu because the Hogs are better at every spot on the court, but after that, who knows. Vandy gave Ky all they wanted in Nashville, Bama played FL pretty tough, Auburn has the type of players that gives the Hogs fits. Going to SC & FL was never going to be easy.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Big Boi

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 11, 2017, 01:05:58 pm
What do you mean in the manner that we did? Did we get blown out or something? I don't understand... :-\
Last lead was with 4:17 left in 1st half. We should have played much better. We were double digit favorites at home and lost. 

phadedhawg

If Hannahs and Beard hadn't hit some huge 3s down the stretch we would've gotten thumped.  They kept it respectable-ish.

hobhog

Quote from: phadedhawg on January 11, 2017, 01:12:26 pm

There is a bright side if that happens...

Big Boi

Honestly, at what moment last night did you realize we weren't going to win? 

HawgTrough

State dominated that game. Make no mistake about it. Anytime we made a dent in the lead, they answered swiftly and decisively.
WPS

Pig in the Pokey

makes no sense to me . the reason we lost was Q went ham.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Youngsta71701

Quote from: HawgTrough on January 11, 2017, 01:36:17 pm
State dominated that game. Make no mistake about it. Anytime we made a dent in the lead, they answered swiftly and decisively.
Ok, if you say so... :-\

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Big Boi on January 11, 2017, 01:34:35 pm
Honestly, at what moment last night did you realize we weren't going to win?
When they went up 8 in the final minute. I have a never give up attitude.

BRHogfan

I'll say this about last night, Weatherspoon had something going.  Early in the game, he dropped the ball towards the end of the shot clock and heaved up a prayer that swished.  He really had it going last night. 

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/tnsports/status/820504810247974913

Vanderbilt coach Bryce Drew after an 87-75 loss to Tennessee following a Vanderbilt loss to No. 6 Kentucky 87-81 both at home.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

BRHogfan

Well Auburn lost to Kentucky and then beat LSU... LSU is REALLY bad though and has now lost 4 straight. 

Rocket23

Has more to do with Kentucky being dang good ra

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/gogamecocks/status/824086437159174145

Martin brings it up. Kentucky loss last year led to loss at Missouri. USC's next game: Missouri.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

jbcarol

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247 15h15 hours ago

FINAL IN KNOXVILLE: Tennessee 70, Kansas State 58. #Vols get a big win for themselves and for SEC. K-State's most lopsided loss of season.

jbcarol