Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Infographic: LSU's 3-4 defense, how it works, why everyone is doing it

Started by younghog, January 11, 2017, 09:15:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

younghog

A very nice read on the evolution of 3-4 defense and how Aranda's scheme is deception on its lineup. Details how they can shift to 3-4 3-3 and 2-4

We need another Aranda type mind to transform our defense to a Legendary Defense. It took them 7 months to get the LSU defense changed out and its still changing..

The LINK

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

lutherheggs

Razorbacks need a 5-3-5 defense. If Bielema can install that and make it work in games, we will be all set.

code red

Quote from: younghog on January 11, 2017, 09:15:11 am
A very nice read on the evolution of 3-4 defense and how Aranda's scheme is deception on its lineup. Details how they can shift to 3-4 3-3 and 2-4

We need another Aranda type mind to transform our defense to a Legendary Defense. It took them 7 months to get the LSU defense changed out and its still changing..

The LINK

GO HOGS
I'll tell you why....a 3-4 works at LSU....STUDS.  ESP STUDS AT LB.  Which is the reason why it won't work here.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: lutherheggs on January 11, 2017, 10:00:42 am
Razorbacks need a 5-3-5 defense. If Bielema can install that and make it work in games, we will be all set.
Hold on, let's see...carry the one...add the thing...errrrr...anyone have a calculator?
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

code red

I agree.  He also needs to implement the spread because if you can't emulate it in practice....you sure as heck can't stop it.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

younghog

Quote from: code red on January 11, 2017, 10:05:49 am
I'll tell you why....a 3-4 works at LSU....STUDS.  ESP STUDS AT LB.  Which is the reason why it won't work here.

Speed is what we need..

Just released Miss State Hires Todd Grantham from Louisville (bobby p) If they switch to 3-4 it will totally change the SEC landscape. Arkansas will be on the outside looking in. ~ Real Talk

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

code red

Quote from: younghog on January 11, 2017, 10:29:16 am
Speed is what we need..

Just released Miss State Hires Todd Grantham from Louisville (bobby p) If they switch to 3-4 it will totally change the SEC landscape. Arkansas will be on the outside looking in. ~ Real Talk

GO HOGS
Arkansas will be in the outside looking in until they recruit.  Character is very important but sometimes you gotta take kids with some character issues....keep em in line and coach em up.  It's called life as a college football coach.  Uprooting defensive principles at this point will probably be CBB demise.  It will take at least a year for it to work.  I don't think he will have that much time unless he does something special next year.

younghog

Quote from: code red on January 11, 2017, 10:33:28 am
Arkansas will be in the outside looking in until they recruit.  Character is very important but sometimes you gotta take kids with some character issues....keep em in line and coach em up.  It's called life as a college football coach.  Uprooting defensive principles at this point will probably be CBB demise.  It will take at least a year for it to work.  I don't think he will have that much time unless he does something special next year.

Principles matter as well as high character students.. If the right guy is brought in quickly. It can happen this year. I main area of need is speed. You can't teach speed.. But I bet I could teach a fast horse how to do things better than a slow mule..

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

GuvHog

Quote from: code red on January 11, 2017, 10:33:28 am

Something special such as switching to the 3-4 defense this coming season???
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Luther, why settle for  a 5-3-5.  Why not a 10-10-10.  With our coaching, we still wouldn't be any good but at least some of the players who never get to show what they can do would get on the field.  We could be the showcase team in the NCAA thus allowing us to use more players on the field.  If any player showed promise in the 10-10-10, maybe he could transfer somewhere where they choose to play football at a higher level and make good.

SemperFi

At times it looked like we had a 1-1-1 defense and could have used the extra players to stop the opposing offense.

I want this 3-4 defense in a bad way. Speed or lack of is what was killing us this year and adding two more Linebackers that can support the run and help in pass coverage would be huge in stopping or slowing down the spread. With this style of defense you can blitz from so many different angles and really disrupt a play. I think that we've got the DL to do it, but not sure about the LB's. I still think that this needs to become our new base defense regardless of the quality or depth of our Linebacking corps.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

Tusks

Aranda is a fricken defensive genius.  Check the D stats at whisky before and after he got there, amazing.

LSU may not have upgraded their HC but that have 2 outstanding coordinators.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

King Kong

Like what the 3-4 can do against spread teams.

However, we done incorrectly or without the correct personnel... and you come up with terrible defense. See Sal Suneri at UT or Peter Sirmon st Miss State

Sportster365

Quote from: code red on January 11, 2017, 10:05:49 am

Rather you mean you'll need studs on the defensive line.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: younghog on January 11, 2017, 09:15:11 am

The LINK

GO HOGS
"Scheme is deception on it's lineup"!!  Deception won't work here.  We have integrity.  It's uncommon.  We don't disguise blitzes, we execute what we show.   

DeltaBoy

You got to do what Jimmy Johnson did find some more RB and convert them to LB.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

LZH

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 11, 2017, 12:32:58 pm
"Scheme is deception on it's lineup"!!  Deception won't work here.  We have integrity.  It's uncommon.  We don't disguise blitzes, we execute what we show.   

"Coach, how do you feel about your team's execution today?"

"I'm all for it."

onebadrubi

Quote from: The Chief on January 11, 2017, 10:06:42 am
Hold on, let's see...carry the one...add the thing...errrrr...anyone have a calculator?

Lol I think that was the point

bennyl08

Quote from: SemperFi on January 11, 2017, 11:05:38 am

At times it looked like we had a 1-1-1 defense and could have used the extra players to stop the opposing offense.

I want this 3-4 defense in a bad way. Speed or lack of is what was killing us this year and adding two more Linebackers that can support the run and help in pass coverage would be huge in stopping or slowing down the spread. With this style of defense you can blitz from so many different angles and really disrupt a play. I think that we've got the DL to do it, but not sure about the LB's. I still think that this needs to become our new base defense regardless of the quality or depth of our Linebacking corps.

How many LB'ers have we ever had that were actually an asset in pass coverage? How many LB'ers have we had that were able to blitz and get to the qb?

3-4 can certainly disguise things, but it requires very complex schemes to do so. How often have we seen marked improvement from our defense when coaches went out of their way to simplify things? How often have we see players who were slowed down by having to think too much?

Not saying it can't work, but simply throwing out that in recent history, the biggest advantages of a 3-4 have been our biggest weaknesses on defense. Each year is a new year, so maybe 2017 will be the year that such constant problems become no more.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

PorkSoda

Quote from: SemperFi on January 11, 2017, 11:05:38 am

blitz? whats that?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

code red

Quote from: Sportster365 on January 11, 2017, 11:57:36 am
No....I mean you need LB...our depth at Dline is not an issue.  In order for a 3 4 to work LB need to fill gaps....they can't be gun shy.  I helped run one for years.  I don't like em because unless your lb's aren't completely sold to reading keys, big plays are in the works. LB's are the key.  If they don't buzz around then its the DC job to blitz almost every play.  I can see us being worse in a 3-4 actually.

code red

Quote from: GuvHog on January 11, 2017, 10:45:03 am
Something special such as switching to the 3-4 defense this coming season???
You can apply the word "special" in many different connotations.

Pork Twain

Either this or a 5-2-6 would really help us close that talent gap.  Who wouldn't want to play on and dense that could get extra players on the field
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

ballz2thewall

perhaps i'm an idiot,

but i don't care too much about the scheme, per se. it's what we do with the players on the field. now; if the "scheme" name dictates certain conduct, then i care.

but it really doesn't. it's an implication rather than a mandate.

like someone posted "carry the one" . . . , then scratch your ass....

just get aggressive. 3-4, 4-3, 5-2. what real difference does it make?

get aggressive in the pursuit. get pressure.
The rest of the frog.

hawginbigd1

Some of you don't understand we have 2 perfect OLB's for a 3-4 defense right now. One is almost a DE in size but very athletic, the other is really a safety playing LB(these traits and versatility is why there is a 3-4 defense) We have at least one young ILB that is going to be a stud, and several others who can play the WLB that because of a 3-4 alignment will have fewer responsibilities, and less ground to cover. The 3-4 actually suits our personnel better than the 4-3. It will actually let us shift and move a lot more than the 4-3 without leaving the middle of the field vacated as we have done far too often in our 4-3. Mostly because IMO we were trying to cheat to make up for Ellis' lack of speed against the spread. Now the issue that we have is you cant play it effectively without better play from the safeties. you need to be able to stay in this personnel package unless it is an obvious long passing down.

Iwastherein1969

there's no magic elixir, only the ingredients (players) can make the difference no matter what defense you choose to run
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

31to6

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 11, 2017, 05:00:39 pm
there's no magic elixir, only the ingredients (players) can make the difference no matter what defense you choose to run
If we roll out in a 3-4 and then the defense sits back on it's heels trying to react to the offense most of the time, we will continue to get abused by good offenses.

The key to any good defense is taking the initiative away from the offense on as many downs as possible.

You don't have to blitz every down. But you do have to make the offense wonder "what are they going to do this snap", every snap. Tendencies get you burned and passivity gets you run over.

The 3-4 will put some more speed on the field. It can also make us less predictable since every down you can rush anywhere from 2 to 5 players, creating imbalances in blocking or overloading in coverage.

And, on some level, putting a big dude in the very middle of the DL will mean that we should see fewer camera shots where Trevor Knight has a 10' gap in the middle of the defense all the way to the EZ. :P

Sooie71923

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: Sportster365 on January 11, 2017, 11:57:36 am
Nailed it. Need two heavy ends (Marshall, Agim) and a space-eating NG to really make it work. B. Jackson and A. Capps are good fits inside but I worry about the depth behind them.

LB actually becomes easier to recruit because you can hide slower thumpers on the inside spots and keep the outside manned with either Randy Ramsey hybrid types (to the boundary side) and Dre Greenlaw types (to the field side). If you can find athletic ILBs then the system goes from good to elite really quick. De'Jon Harris should thrive next year if the Hogs go 3-4.

ballz2thewall

i hear all this stuff............

and i think we have a head coach that prefers a lay back defense.
The rest of the frog.

bennyl08

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 11, 2017, 05:00:39 pm

2012 not ring a bell? Put those same players with Petrino still as the HC and we were still overranked being #8, but that was definitely an 8-9 win team, not a 4-win team. The horses were same, but the coaching change made a big difference. Same year, check out what difference Sean Peyton makes for the Saints. 13-3 the year before, 7-9 in 2012 without Peyton, and then 11-5 the next year. Coaching makes a difference.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

LSUFan

Great players make great coaches.

I see this defense approaching the level of the 2003 NC team's defense.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

MissippHog

Quote from: LZH on January 11, 2017, 12:46:07 pm

"I'm all for it."
"Can't stop a pass, or a run...otherwise we're in great shape."

code red

Quote from: LSUFan on January 11, 2017, 07:52:39 pm
Great players make great coaches.

I see this defense approaching the level of the 2003 NC team's defense.
There is no doubt LSU will be trending upward next year.  I was impressed with Etling in the bowl game.  Guice is no doubt a freaking stud.  Combine that with a defense that held Bama to 10 points....look out.

LSUFan

Quote from: code red on January 12, 2017, 09:35:17 am
There is no doubt LSU will be trending upward next year.  I was impressed with Etling in the bowl game.  Guice is no doubt a freaking stud.  Combine that with a defense that held Bama to 10 points....look out.
And the Heisman winner to 9 points.

Next year, Laynard Fornette will be coming off the bench, he's better than Guice and Leonard, should prove to be interesting along with the defense coming together.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

Josh Goforth

Quote from: tusked on January 11, 2017, 11:26:22 am
Aranda is a fricken defensive genius.  Check the D stats at whisky before and after he got there, amazing.

LSU may not have upgraded their HC but that have 2 outstanding coordinators.

Arkansas hired the wisoncin head coach, LSU has the two best coordinators from Wisconsin. Really like Arandas version of the 3-4.

ballz2thewall

...... i mean, how do you guys think our defensive discussion went.......

cbb: "dammit robb; i want more cowbell."
crs: "sorry coach; we don't have the horses. we can't pressure."

is this even close to right?
The rest of the frog.

Hogwild

Quote from: LSUFan on January 12, 2017, 09:57:00 am
And the Heisman winner to 9 points.

Next year, Laynard Fornette will be coming off the bench, he's better than Guice and Leonard, should prove to be interesting along with the defense coming together.

I live in New Orleans, I've seen him play at St. Aug and that is total BS.  Laynard won't be in LSU top 3 RB rotation, that's assuming yall don't sign a HS stud.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: LZH on January 11, 2017, 12:46:07 pm

"I'm all for it."

John McKay was perhaps the most quotable football coach ever!

He said " emotions in football are overrated. My wife is emotional as hell but she can't play football worth a damn."
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: code red on January 11, 2017, 10:07:43 am
I agree.  He also needs to implement the spread because if you can't emulate it in practice....you sure as heck can't stop it.
I've thought that myself.  The spread seems to hide some deficiencies in depth charts.  I'd also like to see a breakdown of offenses that chunk the ball more than 15 yds down field a high percentage of downs and see what their success rates are.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

younghog

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on January 12, 2017, 06:51:39 pm
I've thought that myself.  The spread seems to hide some deficiencies in depth charts.  I'd also like to see a breakdown of offenses that chunk the ball more than 15 yds down field a high percentage of downs and see what their success rates are.

Our offense is fine..

GO HOGS

Josh Goforth

Quote from: 31to6 on January 11, 2017, 05:15:53 pm
If we roll out in a 3-4 and then the defense sits back on it's heels trying to react to the offense most of the time, we will continue to get abused by good offenses.

The key to any good defense is taking the initiative away from the offense on as many downs as possible.

You don't have to blitz every down. But you do have to make the offense wonder "what are they going to do this snap", every snap. Tendencies get you burned and passivity gets you run over.

The 3-4 will put some more speed on the field. It can also make us less predictable since every down you can rush anywhere from 2 to 5 players, creating imbalances in blocking or overloading in coverage.

And, on some level, putting a big dude in the very middle of the DL will mean that we should see fewer camera shots where Trevor Knight has a 10' gap in the middle of the defense all the way to the EZ. :P
Only difference in the middle for the "big dude" is moving about a foot over to head up on the center, and possibly trying to play 2 gap. a 3-4 look with an OLB as a rush end looks almost identical to a 4-3.

31to6

Quote from: Josh Goforth on January 13, 2017, 08:56:07 pm
Only difference in the middle for the "big dude" is moving about a foot over to head up on the center, and possibly trying to play 2 gap. a 3-4 look with an OLB as a rush end looks almost identical to a 4-3.
So, the last line was humor... :)

ThisTeetsTaken

***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***