Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Interesting fact---there are only FIVE current head coaches who have rings

Started by Tejano Jawg, January 10, 2017, 05:19:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tejano Jawg

That is, National Championship rings. And these are guys who won AS head coaches, not as assistants on championship teams.

Quick, who are they?________________
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: factchecker on January 10, 2017, 05:20:32 pm
Saban
Urban
Dabo
Les
Jimbo

Close...however, remember Les is not a current head coach. There's one more out there.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

I believe Factchecker is dead on.  However, if Les is still out of work, does he count?

Andrew Hogfan

WPS!!!

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: factchecker on January 10, 2017, 05:20:32 pm
Saban
Urban
Dabo
Les
Jimbo

Les isn't a head coach is he?  So it would only be 4 head coaches I believe.

Nevermind.  Stoops.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

factchecker

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on January 10, 2017, 05:22:40 pm
Close...however, remember Les is not a current head coach. There's one more out there.

Damn.... who else is out there?

Quote from: Andrew Hogfan on January 10, 2017, 05:23:28 pm
No on Les,  he ain't coaching that I'm aware of.  Bob stoops?

I think you are right.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Andrew Hogfan on January 10, 2017, 05:23:28 pm
No on Les,  he ain't coaching that I'm aware of.  Bob stoops?

Yes. And I understand how Stoops can be forgotten. I always think OU is over-rated (although I was wrong about them this year, based on the end of this year). And, his NC was a long time ago.

I think this is wild, that the group is so SMALL.

factchecker

How many D1 programs are there?  128

5 out of 128 current coaches have won a national championship.

4% of coaches.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Andrew Hogfan

Would you take Stoops today over coach B? I'm gonna say no.  He gets loads better talent in a weaker conference.
WPS!!!

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Andrew Hogfan on January 10, 2017, 05:27:30 pm
Would you take Stoops today over coach B? I'm gonna say no.  He gets loads better talent in a weaker conference.

Not now. I have OU friends, and they keep wondering when the "Fire Stoops" crowd will get louder.

I will say this, there are few coaches who have under-achieved like him in the past several years. He'll win a big bowl game occasionally (like this year). But they will lose HUGE when they feel like it. And yeah, given that pansy conference they're in, 9 or so wins should be automatic.

Hogwild

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on January 10, 2017, 05:33:00 pm
Not now. I have OU friends, and they keep wondering when the "Fire Stoops" crowd will get louder.

I will say this, there are few coaches who have under-achieved like him in the past several years. He'll win a big bowl game occasionally (like this year). But they will lose HUGE when they feel like it. And yeah, given that pansy conference they're in, 9 or so wins should be automatic.

OU went undefeated in conference play and finished 3rd in nation, I think all quiet in Norman.

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/football/polls/coaches-poll/

factchecker

Quote from: Hogwild on January 10, 2017, 06:02:41 pm
OU went undefeated in conference play and finished 3rd in nation, I think all quiet in Norman.

Why is OU ranked ahead of Ohio State?

The bucknuts finished with the same record, played in the playoffs, and beat the destroyed the sooners head to head.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on January 10, 2017, 05:33:00 pm

# of wins at OU under Stoops:

10*, 11*, 8, 11, 10*, 10, 12*, 8, 12*, 11*, 11,*, 8, 12*, 12*, 12*, 11, 13*, 7

Conference Championships (including ties):  11 (last two years)

"BCS" Bowls:  11

"BCS" Wins:  5

National Championship appearances:  3

National Titles: 1

What a schmo.

Hogwild

Quote from: factchecker on January 10, 2017, 06:10:21 pm
Why is OU ranked ahead of Ohio State?

The bucknuts finished with the same record, played in the playoffs, and beat the destroyed the sooners head to head.

I had two Ohio State fans at work bitching about that this afternoon. The only thing I could thing of is that they were sending a message to the committee we value conference championships.  Unlike the AP they also kept Washington ahead of USC.

factchecker

Quote from: Hogwild on January 10, 2017, 06:20:18 pm
I had two Ohio State fans at work bitching about that this afternoon. The only thing I could thing of is that they were sending a message to the committee we value conference championships.  Unlike the AP they also kept Washington ahead of USC.

Basically all polls, rankings, methods are full-of-darn.  You complained about LSU being ranked higher than Wisconsin in the Massey.  The buckeyes have a complaint with this poll.  The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hogwild

Quote from: factchecker on January 10, 2017, 06:25:53 pm
Basically all polls, rankings, methods are full-of-darn.  You complained about LSU being ranked higher than Wisconsin in the Massey.  The buckeyes have a complaint with this poll.  The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

LSU had 8 wins, Wisconsin had 11.  Wisconsin beat LSU head to head at neutral site.  There is no way LSU should have been ahead of Wisconsin in the rankings.
Massey computer algorithm relies to much on SOS, and LSU gets credit for not playing a game.

I don't think the buckeyes have too big of a complaint since they are ranked one spot ahead of the Big Ten champions, who they lost to.

Sho Nuff

Quote from: Hogwild on January 10, 2017, 06:02:41 pm

2 voters in that poll put Arkansas in their top 25.  What?!?!?!?!?

BRHogfan

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on January 10, 2017, 06:18:49 pm
# of wins at OU under Stoops:

10*, 11*, 8, 11, 10*, 10, 12*, 8, 12*, 11*, 11,*, 8, 12*, 12*, 12*, 11, 13*, 7

Conference Championships (including ties):  11 (last two years)

"BCS" Bowls:  11

"BCS" Wins:  5

National Championship appearances:  3

National Titles: 1

What a schmo.

Les Miles got fired for that type of record.  When you're at Bama, Florida, Michigan, OU, Ohio State, Notre Dame, or USC, you're supposed to do what Stoops as done at a minimum.  A 9 win season at one of those schools is like a 7 win season where you lose your bowl game at Arkansas.

HamSammich

Quote from: BRHogfan on January 11, 2017, 08:51:34 am
Les Miles got fired for that type of record.  When you're at Bama, Florida, Michigan, OU, Ohio State, Notre Dame, or USC, you're supposed to do what Stoops as done at a minimum.  A 9 win season at one of those schools is like a 7 win season where you lose your bowl game at Arkansas.

Erm .... no  ???

Hogwild

Quote from: Sho Nuff on January 11, 2017, 08:43:59 am
2 voters in that poll put Arkansas in their top 25.  What?!?!?!?!?

Or one coach voted us #24.  Aren't the final coaches ballots public?

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HawgQuest

Muskliketusk

Quote from: Andrew Hogfan on January 10, 2017, 05:27:30 pm
Heck no we wouldn't. He's about half the football coach HCBB is and that is being nice.
Our father who art in Heaven, Razorbacks be thy name. For the games we've won and battles done, on the road as it is at home. Give us this day our weekly win and forgive us our turnovers as we defeat those that play against us. Lead us not into devastation, but deliver us a title. For thine is the program, the pride and the Hogs, Amen.

-prayer I say every gameday.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: BRHogfan on January 11, 2017, 08:51:34 am

Less miles was fired more for not being able to win the sec west and play for a sec championship game often.  Oklahoma was in the playoff just last year and won the conference again.

Less miles was head coach for 11 years 3 sec championship game appearances. His last one was the beginning of the end for him. 2011 when he lost to Alabama in the national championship game.  Since then they tied one time for 2nd in the west and finished 3rd 2 times and 4th in the west.  Started out this season 2-2 and was looking like another season that would have finished 3rd or 4th.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

EastexHawg

Just when I think things can't get any crazier, I read this board.  Unfreakingbelievable.

Hogarusa

You guys have lost your mind if you wouldnt take Stoops over Bielema. I'm sure life is real hard in Norman having Heisman finalists, conference titles, major bowl games/playoffs, 10+ wins, and top 10 recruiting rankings every season.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me