Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ben Howland: From LA to Mississippi State

Started by jbcarol, March 22, 2015, 09:31:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner Nov 30

Ben Howland added another piece on Monday. He went to the MSU football complex to find it.  http://on.thec-l.com/1HACNxx

QuoteSTARKVILLE — Elijah Staley is back on the Mississippi State basketball team.

The Bulldogs quarterback was added to the basketball roster Monday after the football team's regular season ended Saturday.

Staley practiced on the hardwood last year under Rick Ray but never saw action in a game. He eventually rejoined the football team for bowl and spring practices.

The regime change didn't alter Staley's plans to play two sports at Mississippi State.

"I still plan on it. I talked to coach (Ben) Howland in the spring," Staley said in August. "He said after the season's over make sure I'm healthy and everything and I can come back out there and try again."

Staley signed with Mississippi State planning to play quarterback for Dan Mullen and forward  Ray.

The redshirt freshman played in two games for Mullen this season. He completed 3 of 5 passes for 51 yards and a touchdown.

Howland was asked about Staley's basketball career last week.

"I have no plan. I've never spoken to Elijah Staley," Howland said. "He came around when we first got the job and said, 'Hey I play both. I'd like to play both.' His focus needs to be on football and Ole Miss and the bowl game."

At 6-foot-7, Staley  averaged 18 points, 9.5 rebounds and seven assists as a junior.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner Dec 2

Mississippi State wins its third straight with an 86-73 victory against Texas Southern.

Ben Howland ends the presser by sending his thoughts and prayers to those in San Bernardino. Howland obviously has ties to So. Cal.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

The Clarion-Ledger ‏@clarionledger 16h16 hours ago

MSU freshmen excelling offensively, learning defensively (@HailStateMBK) http://on.thec-l.com/1Ql3uHT  via @MikeBBonner

QuoteA month into their careers at Mississippi State, highly touted freshmen Malik Newman and Quinndary Weatherspoon have hit the ground running offensively.

Newman is one of five Bulldogs averaging double figures. Weatherspoon won the Southeastern Conference Player of the Week with a 16-point performance on a 6 of 6 shooting night on Nov. 28 in a win against UT-Martin.

Defensively, they're still coming along.

"Two of our top five players in the backcourt are freshmen, who are learning about defense for the first time," coach Ben Howland said. "They're going to play. I'm not going to stop playing Malik and Q because they need to go so far defensively. We need them to grow as players."

Weatherspoon played four years of zone in high school at Velma Jackson. He took the first charge of his career during the team's trip in the Puerto Rico Tip-off.  The defensive stop caused Weatherspoon's coach to send the freshman a congratulatory text.

"I'm trying to make the transition from zone to man," Weatherspoon said...

jbcarol

With the arrival of heralded freshman Malik Newman and new coach Ben Howland, Mississippi State basketball generated a buzz going into this season.

The Bulldogs had a 4-3 record going into this weekend.

QuoteHowland, who has guided 10 teams into the NCAA Tournament, cited two factors for State's start:

▪ A turf toe injury sidelined Newman for more than two weeks. "He's just rounding himself back into shape right now," Howland said.

▪ State's first seven opponents had made a robust 46.8 percent of their shots. That number jumped off the page given Howland's reputation for teaching tough-minded, physical defense.

The mind immediately went to the new rules, which are designed to reduce physical play. At SEC Media Day, Howland made no secret of his misgivings about the new rules.

When asked if the rules were a factor in how well State's opponents had shot, Howland said, "Early on, our mantra is to play good defense without fouling. And that's what we have to do. And it has affected us."

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 7h7 hours ago

Mississippi State's Gavin Ware quietly putting up ridiculous numbers. Big man is shooting 70.9% from the floor. 20.0 PPG, 7.9 RPG, 1.7 BPG.

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 1h1 hour ago

Hoops Notes: Aric Holman returns, I.J. Ready recovering http://on.thec-l.com/1Y6Oga6

QuoteSTARKVILLE — Aric Holman returned to the court for the first time since having knee surgery in September. Mississippi State coach Ben Howland said on Thursday, that Holman has participated in the team's last three practices.

His recovery limits the freshman to about an hour for each workout.

"He has done a really good job for a guy who hasn't practiced in three months," Howland said. "He has a great feel for the game, but he still has a lot of strength he needs to gain in that leg."

Holman signed with Mississippi State after Howland became the coach. The four-star recruit out of Owensboro, Kentucky would provide much-needed size for the Bulldogs.

Ready missed Mississippi State's last two practices with patella tendonitis. An MRI revealed the injury wasn't serious.

"I'm feeling a little better. It got to one point where I couldn't even move in practice just because it was locking up on me," Ready said. "But just being cautious with everything I do."

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 12h12 hours ago

MSU wastes Malik Newman's career night in Kansas City. http://on.thec-l.com/1YbTiCq

QuoteA career night for Malik Newman wasn't enough to give Mississippi State a road win Saturday. The Bulldogs failed their first true road test of the season in Kansas City with a 72-67 loss to UMKC.

Newman scored 18 points to lead MSU. His previous high was 17 points. The McDonald's All-American also had four rebounds.

The loss drops Mississippi State (4-4) back to .500 on the season and 1-4 away from Humphrey Coliseum. The Bulldogs had won three in a row.

"We didn't handle that situation very well," Mississippi State coach Ben Howland said of the late three-point lead.

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 48m48 minutes ago

Game Breakdown: MSU on the road without Travis Daniels http://on.thec-l.com/1QKG7I1

QuoteMississippi State (4-4) vs. Florida State (6-2)

Time: 8 p.m.

TV: ESPN 2

Where: Donald L. Tucker Center, Tallahassee, Florida.

Mississippi State starters

G I.J. Ready (12.4 ppg, 4.6 apg)

G Craig Sword (12.4 ppg, 2.8 apg

G Malik Newman (12.0 ppg, 2.9 rpg)

F Johnny Zuppardo  (4.4 ppg, 3.1 rpg)

F Gavin Ware - 19.0 ppg, 7.8 rpg)

State could drop to 1-4 away from Humphrey Coliseum. The Bulldogs are already 0-1 in true road games this season. Senior starter Travis Daniels will miss the game with a concussion. I.J. Ready is questionable with turf toe.

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 8h8 hours ago

MSU's MBB starters after FSU
I.J. Ready (turf toe)
Craig Sword
Malik Newman (cramps)
Travis Daniels (concussion)
Gavin Ware (knee)

David H Murray ‏@DawgsBiteMag 9h9 hours ago

Howland said Gavin Ware will have a MRI on the knee upon return to Starkville

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 6h6 hours ago

Mississippi State's Gavin Ware (left knee) has a lateral bone bruise, a school spokesman told @CBSSports. Hopes to be back next week.

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 22h22 hours ago

ICYMI: Gavin Ware, MSU's leading scorer, is doubtful to play against Tulane http://on.thec-l.com/1QQfVeR

QuoteState may be without its leading scorer when it hosts Tulane on Saturday.

The Bulldogs' official Twitter account listed Gavin Ware as doubtful with a lateral bone bruise.

Ware injured his left knee in the second half of Wednesday's 90-66 loss to Florida State. Teammates helped Ware off the court as he couldn't put any weight on his left foot.

Ware leads MSU averaging 18.3 points per game to go with 7.8 rebounds. Despite the limited time against FSU, the senior still finished with 13 points and eight rebounds in 19 minutes.

State is already without starting forward Travis Daniels. A concussion held Daniels out against Florida State. He is questionable for Saturday's game. I.J. Ready, MSU's starting point guard, is battling a turf toe injury.

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on December 19, 2015, 08:59:14 am
Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 22h22 hours ago

ICYMI: Gavin Ware, MSU's leading scorer, is doubtful to play against Tulane http://on.thec-l.com/1QQfVeR

State 69, Tulane 59

Ware had 12 and 9 for Howland

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner Dec 19

Howland didn't know Ware was going to play until after lunch today.

jbcarol

loganlowery ‏@loganlowery 9h9 hours ago Jackson, MS

Ben Howland says that Fallou Ndoye has elected to transfer.

Courtney Cronin ‏@CourtneyRCronin 11h11 hours ago

Aric Holman subs in for his collegiate debut with under 11 to play.

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger ‏@HKellenbergerCL 3h3 hours ago

Here is last night's column on where Mississippi State stands heading into the Christmas break. http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/columnists/kellenberger/2015/12/23/kellenberger-newman-bulldogs-still-work-progress/77832306/ ...

QuoteMalik Newman came home, and maybe he found his game in the process.

OK, so that's probably too strong. There are 351 teams in Division I, and KenPom.com says 324 of them are better than Northern Colorado. So that Newman scored a career-high 20 points to lead Mississippi State in a 93-69 whipping of the Bears on Wednesday at Mississippi Coliseum should probably not mean all that much, at least in the big picture. Because if you're a top-10 recruit that entered college with even your head coach saying you're one-and-done, this is what you're supposed to do.

But that has not been what has happened for Newman so far at Mississippi State (6-5). It's been a real struggle, one in which all the talk about Newman going straight to the NBA this season has been roundly criticized. And for good reason, because if you cannot dominate Southern and Missouri State and Texas Southern, how are you going to handle the Warriors and the Cavs?

Maybe Newman is still a first-round pick at this point, as ESPN.com's Chad Ford and DraftExpress.com have both written, but it's more about his talent and promise than anything he has done in Starkville. Going into Wednesday, Newman was averaging 12.3 points per game on less than 40 percent shooting from the floor. The thought was that Ben Howland would make the 6-foot-3 Newman into a point guard, but 11 games into the season that's still I.J. Ready's job. Craig Sword is averaging a point more than a game than Newman and is the one cutting into the lane and trying to get to the foul line.

Newman? He's the spacer and 3-point shooter — 65 of his 109 field-goal attempts, including eight of 11 against Northern Colorado (3-9), were from that distance...

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 1m1 minute ago

Mississippi State drops its SEC opener 61-60 in Rick Stansbury's return to the Hump. [For A&M]

jbcarol

61-60 win for the Aggies in the Hump

QuoteWith MSU down two and 1:35 remaining, the Bulldogs' Malik Newman went to the line and missed both free throws.

"It was real frustrating," Newman said. "..It was a crucial moment. I feel like I disappointed my team."

Newman finished with 14 points.

He buried a 3 with to give MSU a 53-52 lead about a minute prior to missing the free throws. It came during a span where the freshman combined with Gavin Ware to score 11-straight points for the Bulldogs.

Ware scored all 15 points in the second half. He recorded his fourth double-double of the season grabbing 13 rebounds.

"I feel as if I was rushing a little bit (in the first half). I wasn't settling down," Ware said. "It was just about that double team. Figuring out where it was coming from."

Mississippi State dismantled A&M's game plan out of the gate, holding the Aggies to 4-of-26 shooting through the first 16 minutes of play. The Bulldogs took advantage taking an eight point lead.

"Coach told me, come out and be aggressive. This isn't a regular game," Weatherspoon said. "He told me this was going to be a very fast game. I did what he told me to do."

Mississippi State honored former Coach and current A&M assistant Rick Stansbury prior to the game.

As for the current regime, Ben Howland lost his Southeastern Conference opener. The Bulldogs fall to 7-6 on the season.

"That's a tough loss after a great effort by our team," Howland said.

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 3h3 hours ago

Ben Howland redefined his defense at MSU with a switch to zone. So far, it's paying off.  http://on.thec-l.com/1Re02kb

QuoteSTARKVILLE - Ben Howland highlighted the connection between defense and winning during his introductory press conference last March.

He signed on with Mississippi State as a defensive-minded coach eager to implement his suffocating man-to-man defense.

Eight months later, the Bulldogs travel to Arkansas on Saturday (2:30 p.m. SEC Network) coming off one of their best defensive efforts of the season. But the Bulldogs built it around a zone defense.

"I knew that this might be a possibility in terms of our numbers," Howland said. "So it's something I've been thinking about going in. I think it's helped us."

Howland wrestled with the idea of playing zone through the first 10 games as Mississippi State began its games in a man defense. As starters picked up fouls, a lack of depth forced the switch to zone.

The 2-3 zone specifically aided the frontcourt from drawing fouls. Gavin Ware is the team's only viable post presence. He's also the team's leading scorer, averaging 17.5 points per game to go with 8.2 rebounds.

"We've got a short bench so the zone helps us in that respect," Howland said.

jbcarol

loganlowery ‏@loganlowery 7h7 hours ago

MSU made just two baskets during the first half during its last visit to Bud Walton Arena last year. Bulldogs had 24 turnovers in the game.

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 37m37 minutes ago

MSU's zone no match for Arkansas' 3-point barrage http://on.thec-l.com/1RfCw6t

QuoteFAYETTEVILLE, Ark.  — Arkansas found holes in Mississippi State's zone, burying 16 shot from beyond the arc en route to a 82-68 win Saturday.

Dusty Hannahs scored a career-high 26 points as the Razorbacks (8-7, 2-1 Southeastern Conference) won their second straight game, also setting a career best with eight 3-pointers. MSU (7-7, 0-2) dropped its second straight Southeastern Conference contest.

"It definitely feels good to come out after the last couple of games," Hannahs said. "My teammates aren't shy to let me know about how I wasn't making the shots, too, so it's just good to be able to hit them."

Hannahs finished 9 of 16 from the field in the win, including 8 of 13 on 3-pointers, and he had plenty of help in the form of fellow sharp shooter Anthlon Bell — who scored 25 points and was 5 of 7 from behind the arc.

Arkansas was 16-of-24 shooting (66.7 percent) overall on 3-pointers, matching the school record for percentage in a game...

"To be down three with five-something to go and end up losing by 18 is really, really disappointing as a coach," Mississippi State coach Ben Howland said. "... They really attacked our zone (defense) well and picked it apart."

jbcarol

Steve Walentik ‏@Steve_Walentik 2m2 minutes ago

Mississippi State's Ben Howland said his team's got to be more effective scoring and needs to play through big man Gavin Ware better.

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner  47m47 minutes ago
That's it. MSU battles back but falls short, 80-74 to No. 14 Kentucky. Easily the most impressive performance of the season though by MSU

Howland says MSU's players wanted to play man down the stretch.

Howland: I was pleased by our fight. I thought we showed good toughness.

Howland: We can't win on the road with 19 turnovers.  We did force 17 turnovers on the fipside.

Howland: I think our guys got a little inspired by the scuffle.

jbcarol

From UK's 80-74 win over Mississippi State:

Mississippi State shot 52.9 percent from the field

QuoteThat's the highest field goal percentage by a UK opponent since Wichita State shot 55.1 percent against the Cats in the 2014 NCAA Tournament. That was 60 games ago.

The previous high by an opponent this season was 52.8 percent by UCLA in the Bruins' 87-77 win over visiting Kentucky back on Dec. 3. The high by an opponent last season was Ole Miss' 49.2 percent against UK at Rupp on Jan. 6.

Mississippi State shot 59.4 percent in the first half Tuesday but still trailed 39-31 at the break.

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 11h11 hours ago

MSU's rally falls short but shows the growth under Ben Howland http://on.thec-l.com/1P9N5BD

QuoteLEXINGTON, Ky. - As true freshmen, Craig Sword, Gavin Ware and Fred Thomas left Rupp Arena with a 30-point loss. The following year, Kentucky handed the trio at 22-point defeat.

Thomas walked off the court Tuesday and clapped his hands.

The senior suffered another loss to the Wildcats, but the 80-74 result revealed the progress of the program for the 23,987 in attendance and the many more watching at home.

"Before the game, I told the guys we have to get one," Sword said. "We fought hard, it  didn't come out the way we wanted to but we did what we needed to do to stay in it."

Mississippi State traveled to the Bluegrass State with a .500 record through 14 games. Losses to Southern, UMKC and an 0-2 start in Southeastern Conference play led to questions surrounding the team's improvement under Ben Howland.

A road trip to No. 14 Kentucky didn't offer much optimism. The Wildcats had won eight straight in the series, including all seven games under John Calipari.

The three four-year seniors entered Rupp Arena with a 4-36 road record. They lost their three road games by an average of 15 points this year.

MSU (7-8, 0-3) opened this one differently...

Their careers won't include a win at Rupp Arena. But optimism lied behind Thomas' gesture as Mississippi State walked to the locker room after the loss.

"The biggest consistency that I expect is just great fight and effort. That's what we had," Howland said. "That was really, really big for us. We're right there. We're not that far away."

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 18m18 minutes ago

Howland: My teams have been teams have been second half teams. It's strange for me. We definitely have to come out in the second half stronger. That's something I've talked about for a while.

I think it's tough when you lose close games. On the flip side I'd rather lose a gm than get blown out by 30. Shows that we are close.

Howland on Malik: In conference he's almost 15 points. I think he's done a good job. He's improving. They're is so much hype around these kids. They're expecting the moon.

jbcarol

Final from Starkville

Tennessee 80  State 75

Vols get 1st road win of '15-16

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner  45m45 minutes ago
Mississippi State drops to 0-4 in the SEC. Tennessee wins 80-75.

Rick Barnes: Our poise was its best its been all year. The communication was the best its been all year.

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner  16m16 minutes ago
Howland: I was proud of our comeback. I take full responsibility. I thought our zone would help us. It hasn't. We're going to live and die by the man-to-man defense.

Howland: It's my fault. It's totally my fault. Who knows where we'd be if we played straight man. Maybe we'd sneak a win in here.

jbcarol

DJournalnow ‏@DJournalnow 2h2 hours ago

3 notes and a quote: Tennessee-Miss. State http://ow.ly/Xb1bA

Tennessee defeats Mississippi State 80-75. Bulldogs fall to 0-4 in SEC play, 7-9 overall.

QuoteSTARKVILLE – Ben Howland has never been a fan of using zone defense during his two decades as a head coach.

However, Howland has used zone extensively during his first season at Mississippi State due to a lack of depth in the post and a fear of foul trouble.

After watching the opposition bury 44 3-pointers during four conference losses, Howland has scrapped that idea and will play man-to-man from now on.

"We're better playing man-to-man and that's what I believe in as a coach," Howland said. "I've played very little zone in my career. I thought that was better for our team with the way we struggled in the non-conference but we've got to go away from it and live and die with our man-to-man defense."

Howland sat senior power forward Travis Daniels in favor of freshman shooting guard Quinndary Weatherspoon.

Weatherspoon was able to learn the plays for the new position in two practices. He responded with a career-high 23 points on 8 of 15 shooting, including 3 of 5 behind the arc.

"I just played within myself," Weatherspoon said. "That was my first time to ever play the four. I just let the game come to me."

Howland made the move to try and get more production offensively.

"The five guys that started today are our best players," Howland said. "So that is definitely our best lineup."

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger ‏@HKellenbergerCL 3h3 hours ago

My column from yesterday, on Ben Howland choosing to blame himself for Mississippi State's problems right now. http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/columnists/kellenberger/2016/01/16/kellenberger-howland-first-man-up-bulldogs/78900484/ ...

QuoteHowland made a mistake when he decided that playing a 2-3 zone defense was going to be the best thing for these Bulldogs, and now it's time to change to a man. Mississippi State did for a lot of the game against the Volunteers — all the best parts, which is not coincidental — and it's now going to be an all-the-time thing.

So do not blame Malik Newman or Craig Sword or I.J. Ready or any of the other guys on this roster for what has happened so far this season. First-year coaches have a tremendous amount of leeway to do and say what they want, and right now Howland is using that wherewithal to drive the bus over himself.

"This is totally my fault," Howland said. "This is not their fault. ... Who knows where we'd be if we had been playing straight man these last four games. I don't know, but I think we probably would have snuck a win in there somewhere."

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner  19m19 minutes ago
Michael Bonner Retweeted MSU Men's Basketball
Mississippi State 0-5 in the SEC. All five have been the same story. Bulldogs close at the end but can't finish.

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops  1h1 hour ago Spring Hill, FL
Howland complementary of KeVaughn Allen as well, "He's an NBA level athlete."

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner  38m38 minutes ago
Florida rallies past MSU, handing the Bulldogs its fifth-straight conference loss.  http://on.thec-l.com/1V7gt00

QuoteFlorida (12-6, 4-2 SEC) overcame an 11-point deficit in the second half and won back-to-back league games for the first time this season. The key stretch was a 24-5 run midway through the second half that turned a 56-45 deficit into a 73-65 advantage.

Finney-Smith, Allen and Egbunu came up big in the huge spurt.

Finney-Smith finished with his fourth double-double in the last five games. Allen, a freshman, topped his season average (11 points) for the sixth time in the last eight outings...

"We took a couple of questionable shots with the lead," Howland said.

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner  45m45 minutes ago
Hold the mustard: How MSU is using science to cure Malik Newman's cramps http://on.thec-l.com/1Vc5MZZ

QuoteLeg cramps followed Newman to MSU. But the mustard that erased his in-game ailments remained in Jackson.

Newman won four state championships at Callaway, earned a trip to the McDonald's All-American Game and played for Team USA abroad prior to arriving at MSU. His go-to move  through it all was a yellow plastic bottle of the common household condiment.

Mississippi State's strength and conditioning coach, David Deets, relies on a different side kick: science.

"We're not giving him mustard. We're doing other things. I think that it's helped him and will continue to help him. He won't have to miss time here," Deets said. "We have science that tells us that these things are what's better for us. So we use the things that have been studied and are effective."

Science lends some evidence to mustard. There are studies that show mustard may ease cramping, but nothing concrete. Initially, Newman doubted the science and preferred to rely on what previously worked for him.

"At times, I was going through that," Newman said. "They were telling me that wasn't a wise choice. I just listen to them and do what they tell me to do. Apparently they know more than I do, so I'm not going to argue with them."

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger ‏@HKellenbergerCL  21m21 minutes ago
Stefan Moody and Martavious Newby both in street clothes. Ole Miss also missing Sebastian Saiz.

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner  13m13 minutes ago
Ole Miss is missing two of its best players. MSU is home. This seems like a game for the take for the Bulldogs.

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner  44m44 minutes ago
Mississippi State captures its first SEC win of the season with an 83-77 win against Ole Miss.

jbcarol

MSU Men's Basketball ‏@HailStateMBK  23m23 minutes ago
HALFTIME STATS |
#HailState

Dogs are shorthanded tonight at Mizzou as Gavin Ware didn't make the trip due to a concussion. Also, IJ Ready is questionable (ankle).

jbcarol

Final from Mizzou:

Miss. St. 76  Mizzou 61

jbcarol

Gabe DeArmond ‏@GabeDeArmond  4m4 minutes ago
Mississippi State is about to go to 2-8 in its last 10 road games.  Both wins are at Mizzou Arena. Stats courtesy of @Steve_Walentik

jbcarol

Steve Walentik ‏@Steve_Walentik 1h1 hour ago

MSU's Ben Howland said he's hopeful Gavin Ware can return Tuesday vs ALA after missing #Mizzou game, but he's going thru concussion protocol

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 8m8 minutes ago

MSU needs a 3 to win

Weatherspoon's heave falls short. May not have counted anyway. Alabama wins 82-80.

jbcarol

Ben Howland ‏@Ben_Howland 12h12 hours ago

I'm so excited about my new grandson, Elijah. My son Adam and his wife Brittany are great parents.

jbcarol

Randy Rosetta ‏@RandyRosetta  2m2 minutes ago
#LSU is cruising now, [67-51 with 9:00] in the game. Blakeney is on fire and has reached 25 points.

State once led 31-24

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 41m41 minutes ago

Mike Anderson up on the SEC coaches teleconference.

Anderson: I'm sure they're going to be ready to play.

Anderson says it took 16 3s to beat MSU last time.

Anderson: I'm hoping our defense travels, That will be key.

Anderson: His kids are finally understanding what he demands

Anderson said last time vs. MSU, Arkansas just went on a run after making three or four 3s.

Anderson said, MSU played zone and Arkansas took advantage. MSU is no longer a zone team when the two meet tomorrow.

Ben Howland up on the teleconference: "We've got our hands full."

Howland; We really didn't do a good job of closing out our last home game.

Howland isn't sure if Ready will be able to play. It was a "back situation." Not ankle/foot.

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 14h14 hours ago

Not living but dying by the 3 and the free-throw line. SEC opponents have a 12-point edge over MSU. http://on.thec-l.com/1T9fwqo

QuoteWhen the Bulldogs and Razorbacks meet again inside Humphrey Coliseum on Tuesday (8 p.m., SEC Network), exactly a month will have passed since their first meeting.

Since then, Mississippi State switched back to man defense and inserted Quinndary Weatherspoon into the starting lineup. The Razorbacks have also gone to a four-guard lineup, but they still lead the SEC in 3-point shooting while the Bulldogs still struggle to stop it.

"I thought we gave up a lot of 3s especially when we were in zone, which was true in this last game," coach Ben Howland said.

MSU's lack of depth hasn't prevented Howland from abandoning the zone all together. The Bulldogs allowed LSU to shoot 10 of 25 (40 percent) from beyond the arc last weekend. Opponents – not including Missouri's 2-for-25 performance – are shooting 43 percent on the year from 3 against Mississippi State. MSU is shooting 33.8 percent in conference play.

Seven of 10 conference opponents have shot better than their season average against the Bulldogs.

In its eight SEC losses, Mississippi State has 28 fewer 3-point field goals than its opponents or 3.5 per game. The average margin of defeat in those losses is 6.5 points, or about two 3-pointers.

"I would say when I look at the stats, the biggest ones that jump out is that we have 35 more fouls, shot about 50 less foul shots and we're getting out-boarded," Howland said. "Those are the things that stick out the most to me."

Opponents have shot 59 more free throws in games against MSU. They've made 36 more from the line too, equating to a 3.6-point advantage per game.

Combining 3-pointers and free throws, teams have about a 12-point advantage against Mississippi State.

"It's hard (from the line) because we only have one true post player in Gavin (Ware)," Howland said. "(There's) not a lot of other guys that are real post up guys. Our next best guy in the post would be (Craig Sword) at 6-3."

Mississippi State (9-13, 2-8) has made fewer free throws than its opponent in nine of its 10 SEC games. The lone exception came at Arkansas (12-11, 5-5).

Hogs made 16 3-pointers in their first matchup.

jbcarol

loganlowery ‏@loganlowery 9h9 hours ago

Arkansas preview http://dlvr.it/KSSVsL

QuoteState was able to pull within three points at Arkansas with 5:28 remaining in the game.

However, the Razorbacks went on to score 20 more points before the final horn sounded by burying a barrage of five 3-pointers down the stretch. Arkansas knocked down 16 total shots from the perimeter to take an 82-68 victory, its fifth straight over the Bulldogs.

The two teams will meet for the second time this season at 8 p.m. tonight on SEC Network.

This time, MSU will have home court advantage although the Hogs have won two straight at Humphrey Coliseum.

"Last time it took 16 3's to beat a Ben Howland coached team," said Arkansas coach Mike Anderson. "It's going to be a challenge for us to go into the Hump in Starkville."

State is just 6-4 at home this season following last week's 82-80 overtime loss to Alabama. The Bulldogs' four home losses have come by a combined 12 points (Southern 4, Texas A&M 1, Tennessee 5, Alabama 2).

"It's been tough for us," Howland said. "We have to find a way to get over that hump in those close home games."

State is 9-13 on the year and 2-8 in conference play. The Bulldogs are coming off an 88-77 road loss at LSU on Saturday without the services of point guard I.J. Ready.

Ready missed the LSU game with back spasms but Howland is hopeful to have the Little Rock native back for tonight's game against his home state team.

"We're hopeful he'll be able to play but I'm not sure," Howland said. "It was a back situation for him. I did not know he wasn't going to be able to play until literally when we were doing the starting five introductions."

Gavin Ware leads the Bulldogs averaging 16.2 points and 7.1 rebounds and tops the SEC shooting 62.5 percent from the field.

jbcarol

loganlowery ‏@loganlowery 8h8 hours ago

Mississippi State defeats Arkansas 78-46  to improve to 10-13 overall, 3-8 in the SEC.

Ben Howland opens: "That was obviously our best game of the year."

Howland on man being better than zone: It makes me look pretty stupid.

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 5h5 hours ago

Everything finally clicked for MSU last night against Arkansas.  http://on.thec-l.com/1TbHt0H

Howland: Now you see what we're capable of, we shouldn't have anything less than tonight.

Howland: This is what we expect night-in and night out.

Howland on Holman: There's glimpses of how special he can be.

QuoteBen Howland cleared his bench. Mississippi State's walk-ons took the court for the first time in Southeastern Conference play.

The eight players that logged the majority of minutes Tuesday night deserved the standing ovation the crowd at Humphrey Coliseum awarded them. Mississippi State blew out the Razorbacks 78-46.

The performances led to MSU's first 30-point win since 2005.

"I'm excited about the progress we made today," Howland said. "We've gotta build on this now. It doesn't mean anything unless we build on it."

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner  23h23 hours ago
Mississippi State follows up its best performance of the year with a 66-57 loss to Georgia.

Howland: Give Georgia credit. They really took it to us at both ends.

Howland: Very frustrating after the effort in our last game to come out with this.

Howland points to UGA's zone defense and MSU's poor ball-screen defense.

jbcarol

DJournalnow ‏@DJournalnow 1h1 hour ago

Basketball Rewind: Mississippi State (10-14, 3-9 SEC) http://ow.ly/Yl0po

QuoteLooking Back: The Bulldogs had their best game of the season in a 78-46 victory over Arkansas on Tuesday but could not keep the momentum going, losing to Georgia 66-57 on Saturday.

Looking Ahead: MSU plays its third straight home game against Vanderbilt on Tuesday at 8 p.m. then travels to Alabama Saturday at 1:30 p.m. Both games will be televised by SEC Network.

Who's Hot: Since joining the starting lineup nine games ago, freshman Quinndary Weatherspoon is averaging 16.1 points having put up double figures in eight of those outings...

Who's Not: Freshman guard Malik Newman...

Bottom Line: State appeared to have turned the corner in an impressive blowout victory against Arkansas, its largest in 11 years.

But the Bulldogs played like a totally different team when they took the floor against Georgia...

jbcarol

loganlowery ‏@loganlowery 17h17 hours ago

Howland talks Commodores http://dlvr.it/KWSlKW

Malik Newman's 54 3-pointers are tied with Dee Bost for the third most by a freshman in school history.

Craig Sword leads the team with 14 charges taken, nine more than any other player.

Quote"We split last week. We had a great win over Arkansas and then Georgia really manhandled us and did a great job dominating the game at our place on Saturday.

"We've got an especially difficult challenge ahead of us in Vanderbilt. I watched Vanderbilt on film yesterday and was incredibly impressed with how good they are. They have length inside with two rim protectors in (Luke) Kornet and (Damian) Jones and shooters surrounding them.

"Wade Baldwin (IV) is fantastic. He's a really special player. He gets to the foul line over eight times a game as a guard attacking the rim. He's super impressive.

"I love their shooters. Obviously, (Matthew) Fisher-Davis and Riley LaChance are special shooters and (Jeff) Roberson is playing great. Roberson was dominant in the Texas A&M win.

"They're just super impressive and well coached at both ends of the floor. They are a great defensive team and a very skilled offensive team that can score inside as well as shoot the ball out from the perimeter. They have great balance.

"They're an NCAA Tournament team so we've got our hands full tomorrow night against Vanderbilt. I'm looking forward to seeing how our guys play against a team that is so good.

"We have to do a better job of attacking the zone than we did Saturday night. I think that will be a key for us as well as trying to guard them inside with their obvious height advantage."