Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 Little Rock Game is OLE MISS

Started by The_Iceman, November 22, 2017, 12:45:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SPAL

Quote from: AP85 on November 22, 2017, 03:19:40 pm
Not sure if serious.

Which part are you having trouble with? I think we are on the same side here.....not sure what your problem is.

Uncommon

Quote from: jvanhorn on November 22, 2017, 03:17:34 pm
My father always used to say don't turn ant hill into a mountain which, I guess, is another way of saying don't sweat the small stuff.  One game in Little Rock is not what is holding the Razorbacks back.  I know the baseball team plays a game there and, if they don't they should, the basketball team.  If you have a good team they will overcome this small bump in the road.  I wish this was the biggest problem they had.
For me, it's just that we did all this work on the stadium and we still aren't playing the full schedule there.  It was different back in the day when War Memorial was comparable or somewhat better than Razorback stadium but things change.  I'm not saying you're wrong and I agree a Little Rock game won't hold us back.  You are fine to have that opinion.  I just simply disagree.

To throw you a bone, Little Rock tailgating beats Fayetteville tailgating every time.

ricepig

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 22, 2017, 03:21:31 pm
Which part are you having trouble with? I think we are on the same side here.....not sure what your problem is.

The bitching side, lol.

AirWarren

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 22, 2017, 03:21:31 pm

I'm just making sure. There is a lot of sarcasm on this board these days.

SPAL

SPAL

Quote from: AP85 on November 22, 2017, 03:22:58 pm
I'm just making sure. There is a lot of sarcasm on this board these days.

Fair enough.

311Hog

Quote from: AP85 on November 22, 2017, 03:15:10 pm
UAMS certainly puts out more productive and lucrative citizens that UAF ever will.

I truly do not understand how people can both be a fan of something and hate it at the same time.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Mobile CSA has 600,000 + people, wonder why Alabama doesn't play games down there to unite the state.

UT is 180 miles from Nashville and almost 400 miles to Memphis.  With that many fans leaving 180 to 400 miles east of UT why don't they play a game in Nashville or Memphis each year?  UT rules the state of Tennessee and they have done so without say having to play a yearly game in a s-hole like the Liberty Bowl.

This isn't the 1950's.  It is interstate the entire way to Fayetteville,  Whether you like it or not the expansion is a done deal.  It cannot be reversed and it must be paid off.  $'s are the life blood of any athletic department and to not maximize them is asinine.  Most were resigned to losing that game before JL was fired.  And many central Ark people even admitted yeah it makes sense.  BB wins 8 games and this isn't even a discussion.  BP leaves the motorcycle at home and this isn't a discussion.  The program suffers when sub-optimal decisions are made based on convenience or outdated tradition. 

But the little crack has given way to influence peddlers who want to have a say, not because it's best for the UofA but because it's more convenient for them and so they can say they made it happen.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

#1 STUNNA

I like the idea.. would be nice for south arkansas and little rock recruits to see the hogs play a legit opponent less than 2 hours from home after playing a high school game on a friday night!

ricepig

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 22, 2017, 03:46:39 pm
Mobile CSA has 600,000 + people, wonder why Alabama doesn't play games down there to unite the state.

UT is 180 miles from Nashville and almost 400 miles to Memphis.  With that many fans leaving 180 to 400 miles east of UT why don't they play a game in Nashville or Memphis each year?  UT rules the state of Tennessee and they have done so without say having to play a yearly game in a s-hole like the Liberty Bowl.

This isn't the 1950's.  It is interstate the entire way to Fayetteville,  Whether you like it or not the expansion is a done deal.  It cannot be reversed and it must be paid off.  $'s are the life blood of any athletic department and to not maximize them is asinine.  Most were resigned to losing that game before JL was fired.  And many central Ark people even admitted yeah it makes sense.  BB wins 8 games and this isn't even a discussion.  BP leaves the motorcycle at home and this isn't a discussion.  The program suffers when sub-optimal decisions are made based on convenience or outdated tradition. 

But the little crack has given way to influence peddlers who want to have a say, not because it's best for the UofA but because it's more convenient for them and so they can say they made it happen.

Funny thing is, they all take a jet to the game, probably takes more time from Chenal, PV, CCLR area......

HawgWyld

Want to move all games to Fayetteville? Give Bielema a contract extension -- that'll sour central Arkansas types on the Hogs in a hurry.

Seriously, though. If the time has come to move all home games to Fayetteville, then so be it. However, it seems there are a lot of people who don't understand that WMS has been important to the Razorbacks over the years. Simply put, the WMS games were critical back when NWA was little more than an isolated area that happened to have the state's flagship university in it. Those games in central Arkansas were essential back then because they attracted people outside of NWA.

If it's time to move on from that arrangement, that's fine. I just don't see the reason for insulting WMS and the Razorbacks fans who have had some great times there.

AirWarren

Quote from: 311Hog on November 22, 2017, 03:34:56 pm
I truly do not understand how people can both be a fan of something and hate it at the same time.

Ask yourself that. Love nwa but hate the rest of Arkansas.

buldozer

It sure is refreshing to have Jeff Long gone. No way WMS would be hosting OM next year with yankees in charge.... WPS

Oklahawg

We should see if OM wants to make WMS a "neutral site" and host the game there every year. Split the crowd 50/50. Instead of the World's Largest Cocktail Party (or whatever they call FL-UGA) we can call it the World's Largest Dumpster Fire (oh, wait, that would be this year's name!).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

toxichog

I live in Little Rock, and have for most of my life.  I have never lived in NWA.  Have attended games in both places since the late 1960's.
Obviously it is more convenient and economical for ME to go to games in LR.

However, in its current state War Memorial Stadium is an embarrassment to the state.  Some say it's not a dump........but if that's not a dump, then I would hate to see one that is.  Having visiting SEC fans come see that is really bad......no other SEC team plays a home game in such a downtrodden stadium. 
I have seen recently where they want to spend 10 to 15 million to renovate the infrastructure to simply get it to the "minimum" standard that the SEC will accept.  But to do what is needed to make the stadium something people would be proud of would cost WAY more $$$$$$ than that.  I am not talking about seating capacity at all.......a stadium can be small and really nice ( see Miss State redo ).
The problem is how do you justify the public money to that when LR face many other fiscal issues?  Who pays for it.....the State?
There is a lot of history at Markham and Fair Park..............but unless somebody can figure out how to make it nice.........then maybe it's time to just implode it like the Georgia Dome and expand the golf course...........

Oklahawg

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 22, 2017, 03:18:34 pm
I was for moving all games to Fayetteville. For several reasons already mention.

Looking at it now, I think we should continue to play one big conference game there. We need central Arkansas. We need their passion, their fans, the recruits. Let's get back to one state like it was under Houston Nutt.

The pride of the razorbacks is gone. I was a NWA snob. I was wrong.

Shut down the board. A poster admitted they were wrong.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Quote from: toxichog on November 22, 2017, 04:06:57 pm
I live in Little Rock, and have for most of my life.  I have never lived in NWA.  Have attended games in both places since the late 1960's.
Obviously it is more convenient and economical for ME to go to games in LR.

However, in its current state War Memorial Stadium is an embarrassment to the state.  Some say it's not a dump........but if that's not a dump, then I would hate to see one that is.  Having visiting SEC fans come see that is really bad......no other SEC team plays a home game in such a downtrodden stadium. 
I have seen recently where they want to spend 10 to 15 million to renovate the infrastructure to simply get it to the "minimum" standard that the SEC will accept.  But to do what is needed to make the stadium something people would be proud of would cost WAY more $$$$$$ than that.  I am not talking about seating capacity at all.......a stadium can be small and really nice ( see Miss State redo ).
The problem is how do you justify the public money to that when LR face many other fiscal issues?  Who pays for it.....the State?
There is a lot of history at Markham and Fair Park..............but unless somebody can figure out how to make it nice.........then maybe it's time to just implode it like the Georgia Dome and expand the golf course...........

Who would pay for the dynamite and to haul the rubble away? UA has all that money, maybe they can haul it away for them :)

Uncommon

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 22, 2017, 04:05:15 pm
...we can call it the World's Largest Dumpster Fire (oh, wait, that would be this year's name!).
Think that is occurring Saturday as Tennessee (0-7 SEC) hosts Vanderbilt (0-7 SEC).

jvanhorn

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 22, 2017, 03:46:39 pm

A lot of what you say is reasonable, even if I disagree but I must say Tennessee is a very strange and unique state.  It is really 3 states in one.  The state of Memphis in the west, the state of Nashville in the middle and the state of Knoxville in the east.  This is a very, very LONG  state and I am not sure you can really compare it to Arkansas and I am pretty sure the Memphis Tigers have a lot of supporters and adding more every day, and does Vanderbilt and the pro football team.  Tennessee is still very important and are the Razorbacks but to say they still completely unify the state like the old days is really just not true anymore.

The_Iceman

Quote from: cc on November 22, 2017, 03:16:00 pm
It does make sense with the students gone.

That's the only game I wouldn't mind being in LR (other than a cupcake game).

younghog

Quote from: _Hamlet_ on November 22, 2017, 12:51:55 pm
This pissses me off. Hosting games like this in LR is where the Athletic Dept will lose most of their money. 30K fans v. 60-70K fans. Money matters.

Tradition matters...

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

Dominicanhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 22, 2017, 01:06:31 pm
Some of my fondest memories are traveling to little rock to watch the Hogs with my dad, especially the miracles of markham and the 2010 LSU game.

However, I am also reasonable enough to know when something has run it's course. Back when Razorback Stadium was 45k people, playing 3 or 4 games in LR made perfect sense. While Razorback Stadium has expanded, renovated, and upgraded...WMS has become a dump.

With I-49 making the trip easy, the expansion of RRS, and the decay of WMS...why give up a valuable game in our HOME stadium?

Agree about memories and being from eastern Arkansas, I liked the idea of having a game like OM there. .. but the stadiums, travel time and loss of revenue trump any benefit of proximity or historical significance of WMS... just doesn't make sense..

FATHAWG08

I love off season Football!!

ur

I'm all for moving games but if it's just to add another coastal Carolina to the RRS schedule then give me Astate in the Rock. Throw some boise states in RRS and I will swing the first sledge hammer.

Dr. Starcs

darkstar

Report narrows down Arkansas' drunkest city https://katv.com/story/report-narrows-down-arkansas-drunkest-city   

and always here about drunks at wms

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 22, 2017, 12:51:30 pm
HOME games for Arkansas in 2018 will now be:

Eastern Illinois
North Texas
Alabama
Tulsa
Vanderbilt
LSU

Two good games and four bad games in the grand opening year of the newly renovated RAZORBACK STADIUM.

[CENSORED] dumb. It's Arkansas.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

DLUXHOG

Sounds like the good ol' boys are back....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

TexasHog

To all those whining about the game in LR.
Why don't they just change the name to Northwest Arkansas Razorbacks and play all their games in Fayetteville.

This way the rest of the state would know to ignore them and they can become small time like ASU.

I swear it's like some people don't have a clue as to why the Razorbacks have a huge fan base all around the state or why the stadium usually has so many fans in it except for when the team is really really bad like this year.

I'll give you a hint the majority of the Razorback fan base is not in North West Arkansas.

The day all games are played in Fayetteville is the day the fan base starts dwindling.

East Clintwood

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 22, 2017, 12:51:30 pm
HOME games for Arkansas in 2018 will now be:

Eastern Illinois
North Texas
Alabama
Tulsa
Vanderbilt
LSU

Two good games and four bad games in the grand opening year of the newly renovated RAZORBACK STADIUM.

So before this announcement it was two good games and five bad games.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Wildhog on November 22, 2017, 01:20:41 pm
This is part of the coup.

Not necessarily.  This will be the 70th anniversary of WMS and the 66th anniversary of the first Arkansas-Ole Miss game in 1952 and the 64th anniversary of one of the most famous games in Arkansas history, 1954's Powder River play when the 25 Little Pigs upset to 5 Ole Miss 6-0.

If I was looking for a historically significant game worth closing down Arkansas' history in WMS picking Ole Miss would give a reson to attract one last good crowd to bring 70 years to a close.

P. S.  I notice they didn't quote CBB in the press release.

bphi11ips

Quote from: TexasHog on November 22, 2017, 07:25:52 pm
Why don't they just change the name to Northwest Arkansas Razorbacks and play all their games in Fayetteville.

This way the rest of the state would know to ignore them and they can become small time like ASU.

I swear it's like some people don't have a clue as to why the Razorbacks have a huge fan base all around the state or why the stadium usually has so many fans in it except for when the team is really really bad like this year.

I'll give you a hint the majority of the Razorback fan base is not in North West Arkansas.

The day all games are played in Fayetteville is the day the fan base starts dwindling.

Welcome to the Board, Bill. 10 has always been my favorite number.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

MORAZOR

Quote from: TexasHog on November 22, 2017, 07:25:52 pm

I'll give you a hint.....the university is in Fayetteville.......guess we could close down the university and run everything out of U of A LR......

311Hog

Quote from: AP85 on November 22, 2017, 03:49:06 pm
Ask yourself that. Love nwa but hate the rest of Arkansas.

I am the rest of Arkansas and I live in NWA I don't have to ask myself that because I am not standing her insulting the graduates of the UofA like you are.  You want the Razorbacks to be your personal professional football team? well to bad they aren't and you can't they are the team of the University of ARKANSAS located in Fayetteville, ARKANSAS.

My grandmother still lives in North Little Rock (my whole family both sides live below Conway I am from Arkado etc.)  I interned in fuel tax audit at the AR State Highway Dept. in Little Rock, until I went to school at the UofA the only games I had ever been to were in Little Rock I LOVE THE MEMORIES FROM THERE.  But anyone with eyes knows that WMS isn't even close to up to today's standards.  When RRS wasn't up to that times standards guess what happened? games were moved to LR, now that has changed.  If your fandom was based purely on the distance it took you to attend the games then you are not a fan at all.

TexasHog

Razorbacks play 1 game a season in LR to keep the state unified around the team/to keep the massive fan base around the state and all the money that comes from it.
It's absurd to demand that all games be played in Fayetteville when it will definitely lead to a declining fan base around the state and massive losses of revenue.

I shouldn't even have to explain this to people but here goes.
The University takes the financial loss for the 1 game in LR to maintain the huge fan base and revenue that comes from those fans.

It's all about the money which is also why they won't play ASU even though a lot of people would like to see it and it would be a great rivalry that generates a lot of revenue for both teams.

People in charge wont let the game happen because they are worried ASU will gain more recognition and gain more fans from around the state which in their minds means less money for the UA because apparently people couldn't possibly be fans of both teams.

longpig

Last chance Central Arkansas fans, how bout showing up.
Don't be scared, be smart.

bphi11ips

Quote from: longpig on November 22, 2017, 08:57:14 pm

Beginning of a new era.

wachhog

Quote from: Karma on November 22, 2017, 01:28:22 pm
If you paid the millions of dollars to buy out Bielema, long, the assistants and hire the new coach, you could decide that. But you didn't, so the people that did make this decision.

There are consequences to the coup that happened. This is one of them.
This.^^^
And I'm glad the coup was successful!

IronHog

Quote from: longpig on November 22, 2017, 08:57:14 pm

Show up with a real football team
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

bphi11ips

IronHog

Quote from: 311Hog on November 22, 2017, 08:39:04 pm
they are one in the same.  forever linked 100%

That's why the "flagship" can't put a team on the field that would beat poor little UCA
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: 311Hog on November 22, 2017, 01:48:37 pm
two BEST games at least

2 Losses.

At least the Little Rock game will be an SEC game we have a chance to win

trippigs

I personally like this. Don't really care about the money aspect. Bet the place is packed. Does the contract call for a WMS game in 2019?

SlickWilly

Quote from: code red on November 22, 2017, 01:56:58 pm
WMS had it's time and place.  It has served the Hogs well.  But.  It's time to cut her lose.

^^^

If you want their money for a new coach and AD, WMS comes with It.

ricepig

Quote from: Karma on November 22, 2017, 10:12:21 pm
If you want their money for a new coach and AD, WMS comes with It.

Who said I wanted their money, and I assume you have the amounts and where the money is coming from handy?

bvillepig

If we have to play in LR one time a year

I have no problem with it being Ole Miss and the next year Mississippi State.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on November 22, 2017, 10:27:51 pm
Who said I wanted their money, and I assume you have the amounts and where the money is coming from handy?

Tsk tsk.

Atlhogfan1

Just fix the stadium soon since we are forced to play in it.  Get it up to minimal standards at the least.  Make Leach happy 😊
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys.