Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 16, 2024, 01:09:17 am

T A&M

Started by SoonerSooie, November 22, 2017, 04:56:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SoonerSooie

I did not get to watch the entire game as I was doing a radio show, but, I had the TV on mute and could glance over at it some. A&M looks long and really athletic!  Penn State did have some success with the full court press, but A& M also went on some very, very impressive runs! Don't know what the final score was. Looked like A&M is really good.

Pinto

Best team in the conference

The_Iceman

Quote from: Pinto on November 22, 2017, 06:54:39 am
Best team in the conference

The best team Adidas and Rick Stansbury could buy.

Look what happens when that money dries up:
https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=SEC

Bunch of CHEATERS!!!

BrooklynRoss

They looked good, but they still have to live in College Station, so you know the depression will set in sooner or later. Can't help but feel bad for those kids.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

poloprince

Same team from last season basically and very beatable.  Penn St hung tough and was down 6 in the 2nd half when I fell asleep.
$PoLoPrInCe$

Hawg Red

Quote from: poloprince on November 22, 2017, 08:27:43 am
Same team from last season basically and very beatable.  Penn St hung tough and was down 6 in the 2nd half when I fell asleep.

A&M won by 11.

Lot of the same players, but we're talking about talented players and strengthen chemistry/familiarity. It's only the "same team" if they play the same way, which they are quite clearly not. They wrecked West Virginia by 23 points without Robert Williams. That's not something that would have happened if they were the same team from last season. What are you seeing in their profile from THIS season that tells you they are very beatable? They're shooting the ball pretty well and 3 of their 4 wins have come against P5 schools. Seems like you fell asleep on your analysis as well.

Pinto

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 22, 2017, 08:34:06 am
A&M won by 11.

Lot of the same players, but we're talking about talented players and strengthen chemistry/familiarity. It's only the "same team" if they play the same way, which they are quite clearly not. They wrecked West Virginia by 23 points without Robert Williams. That's not something that would have happened if they were the same team from last season. What are you seeing in their profile from THIS season that tells you they are very beatable? They're shooting the ball pretty well and 3 of their 4 wins have come against P5 schools. Seems like you fell asleep on your analysis as well.

Yeah, they're a very scary team. We could definitely beat them if Hogg is off and their guards are careless with the basketball. Looking forward to seeing Robert and Dan match up. Not looking forward to seeing Trey and Tyler Davis match up lol

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Pinto on November 22, 2017, 08:38:42 am
Yeah, they're a very scary team. We could definitely beat them if Hogg is off and their guards are careless with the basketball. Looking forward to seeing Robert and Dan match up. Not looking forward to seeing Trey and Tyler Davis match up lol
we beat them when they were #5 in our 16-16 season so I def believe we can beat them now.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Pig Power

Hate to admit it, but those Aggies are pretty salty this year.

Pinto

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on November 22, 2017, 09:19:46 am
we beat them when they were #5 in our 16-16 season so I def believe we can beat them now.

Anybody is beatable

40MINSOFHELL

They had trouble handling the press. They turn the ball over a lot when under pressure.

hview

This Hogs team can beat any team on their schedule.

LRHawg

How are they not wrapped up in the FBI investigation????

hawgball40

I think we can beat the aggies. I watched the first half of their game vs WVU in the taco bueno off of MLK right before our opening game, and in my opinion West Virginia just darn the bed. A&M didn't look very impressive for most of that game, then WVU just fell apart and A&M capitalized. I think Arkansas matches up well with the Aggies. better than WVU

Pinto

Quote from: hawgball40 on November 22, 2017, 11:12:34 am
I think we can beat the aggies. I watched the first half of their game vs WVU in the taco bueno off of MLK right before our opening game, and in my opinion West Virginia just darn the bed. A&M didn't look very impressive for most of that game, then WVU just fell apart and A&M capitalized. I think Arkansas matches up well with the Aggies. better than WVU

TAMU was without their top 10 pick and their starting PG lol

hawgball40

Quote from: Pinto on November 22, 2017, 12:14:46 pm
I don't care, i still think we are better than them.

navyhog24

Their PG's Duane Wilson and especially TJ Stark are turnover prone with good pressure. Stark is a frosh.

This is their year to go deep b/c I bet Williams, Davis, and maybe Gilder may be gone after this year, as well as Wilson being a grad transfer. They haven't recruited squat since the FBI investigation came to light.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hawgball40 on November 22, 2017, 12:25:17 pm
I don't care

Tremendous response when presented with facts.

Pinto

Typical irrational Hog fan response

gmarv

Stick to your guns until it is settled on the court nothing wrong with believing.

hawgball40

Quote from: Pinto on November 22, 2017, 01:30:15 pm
Ok, i'll attempt to explain my reasoning. Not that it isnt true that i have an irrational love for my hogs based on my gutfeeling with this team.

D Gafford inside - totally shuts them down in the paint and also gives them fits offensively because his athleticism forces them to stay home on the pick and roll and back door cuts, totally opening the floor to the rest of our players.
Hall and Osabouhien can guard any of their wings.
Barford and Macon provide good offense and defense.
Thomas provides some scoring in the paint.
Thompson is a big body that is atleast an obstacle in the post.
Cj jones provides us some offense.
anton beard is a penetrator who can hit the 3 on occasion. he's also a pest as an onball defender, remember he sparked us when we were down by 30 to UNC in the tourney. never sleep on ton

I think we have the right mixture of length and athleticism with solid rotations to give them fits defensively. They aren't a deep bench and the majority of their players are not very athletic. As long as we play good defense and aggressive on offense, i like our chances. Mike has proven we don't rely on the press this year, that is the difference IMO. WVU lives and dies by the press, so its not a valid comparison imo

Hawg Red

Quote from: gmarv on November 22, 2017, 01:34:21 pm
Stick to your guns until it is settled on the court nothing wrong with believing.

Nothing wrong with believing the Hogs are better, but to brush off the fact that A&M did not have a lottery pick or their starting PG after he criticized their performance (which was a 23-point win over a ranked opponent) in that game with "I don't care" is a bad look for credibility. That's the lowest form of retort.

RealHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 22, 2017, 08:11:06 am

This is 120% what's happening with all those classes when $tansbuy was there. They pulled an Ole Miss, but I think will avoid the heat since they can just put it on Rick.

RealHog

Quote from: navyhog24 on November 22, 2017, 12:30:58 pm
Their PG's Duane Wilson and especially TJ Stark are turnover prone with good pressure. Stark is a frosh.

This is their year to go deep b/c I bet Williams, Davis, and maybe Gilder may be gone after this year.

Williams is gone for sure, but Hogg, Gilder, and David I think are in that sweet spot of great college player but don't have the tools for the pros. Davis for instance is waaay too slow for pros, especially with the new switching defenses.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: hawgball40 on November 22, 2017, 11:12:34 am

WoW.!!! That must have been one tight Taco Bueno. You know the place smelt like chalupa, farts, chalupa farts and jock strap.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

poloprince

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 22, 2017, 08:34:06 am
A&M won by 11.

Man you have been hyping the aggies for about 3 seasons now and I am still waiting on them to show me something.  West Virginia is definitely overrated.  What i see is the same guards who turn the ball over at an alarming rate.  I know you used to always talk about Ark not having a "true" point guard.  The aggies definitely do not have one. Not to mention the fact they are only playing about 6 guys.
$PoLoPrInCe$

hawgball40

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 22, 2017, 02:08:35 pm
Nothing wrong with believing the Hogs are better, but to brush off the fact that A&M did not have a lottery pick or their starting PG after he criticized their performance (which was a 23-point win over a ranked opponent) in that game with "I don't care" is a bad look for credibility. That's the lowest form of retort.
Fair enough, i was a being a homer and you all called me on it. Your argument looks great now but I like the hogs chances against anyone right now. A&M may be very good, but I have a feeling the hogs are pretty good too.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Pinto on November 22, 2017, 12:14:46 pm

Pinto arent we shorthanded too? If you want to be fair about it...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

navyhog24

Quote from: RealHog on November 22, 2017, 02:30:10 pm
Williams is gone for sure, but Hogg, Gilder, and David I think are in that sweet spot of great college player but don't have the tools for the pros. Davis for instance is waaay too slow for pros, especially with the new switching defenses.

Davis is a projected late 1st round to early 2nd round pick right now. I can see him leaving.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Pinto on November 22, 2017, 01:30:15 pm

Typical response from a non Hog fan.

Pinto

Quote from: HawgnCorona on November 22, 2017, 03:06:36 pm
Pinto arent we shorthanded too? If you want to be fair about it...

We are but none of those guys are nowhere near the caliber of player Robert Williams is.

Pinto

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Pinto on November 22, 2017, 03:32:56 pm
We are but none of those guys are nowhere near the caliber of player Robert Williams is.

I was going to say senior leadership counts for something (AC, DT), then I thought better of it. LOL!!! So I will roll with the fact that KG is medically out. As I recall RW play last year didnt exactly blow us away...Should be a good game when we lace them up though. Should be good one. As always...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

Pinto

Quote from: HawgnCorona on November 22, 2017, 03:49:42 pm
I was going to say senior leadership counts for something (AC, DT), then I thought better of it. LOL!!! So I will roll with the fact that KG is medically out. As I recall RW play last year didnt exactly blow us away...Should be a good game when we lace them up though. Should be good one. As always...

Yeah RWIII didn't kill us last year but he is a man amongst boys this season

niels_boar

Quote from: Pinto on November 22, 2017, 08:38:42 am

Last year Tyler Davis torched us in Fayetteville.  He was 9 of 10 for 21 points and 7 boards. However, on the flip side Thompson played 18 minutes and had 6 assists (accounted for 13 points), 5 points, 3 boards, and a steal.  He contributed to 18 points in 18 minutes.  That helped compensate for Kingsley being only 3 of 14.  A&M played three 6-10 players for 30+ minutes. It wasn't exactly a defensive gem by anybody, but we don't win without hardly ever trailing without stellar contributions from Thompson.  In the preceding game he outplayed Saiz.  That was part of the run that put us in the NCAAT. I have no idea why you take shots at him at every opportunity. 
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Pinto on November 22, 2017, 04:50:38 pm
Yeah RWIII didn’t kill us last year but he is a man amongst boys this season

...SEC play it will be much tougher. I am a bit concerned with how we will match up with Davis and Williams in the line up at the same time.

bigred223

It's the Aggies. Calm down. We can easily split the series.

LumberBacks

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 22, 2017, 08:11:06 am

Look what happens when that money dries up:
https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=SEC

Bunch of CHEATERS!!!
Plano West HS - Avery Johnson Jr (signee 2014-2015 season) 3* Nat'l rank #414
Plano West HS- DJ Hogg (signee 2015-2016 season) 4* Nat'l rank #30
Plano West HS - Tyler Davis (signee 2015-2016 season) 4* Nat'l rank #31

Very rare that 3 players from the same high school would sign with the same college team (aTm) a year apart.  Avery Johnson Jr. was not that highly recruited but signed with a P5 team.  Year later, two top 10 players at their position (center, power fwd) signed with aTm from Avery Jrs. high school and AAU teams.   

Avery Sr. was well connected with their AAU team, Texas Titans.  Word in N. Dallas was that Avery Sr. got a favor (aTm signing his kid) for steering top prospects Hogg and Davis aTm's way a year later.  Any favors pass hands?  Never been proven.  But Avery Sr. is a win-at-all-cost guy.  Circumvented UIL rules to steer D1 players to Plano West.  In addition to Hogg and Davis that signed with aTm, teammate Mickey Mitchell signed with Ohio State.  That's three 4* on the same high school team in the same class which just doesn't happen unless you are Oak Hill Academy.  No surprise that Bama Director of BB Ops Kobie Baker abruptly resigned in Sept. after FBI named him as "Staff Member 1" in their ongoing investigation.   Avery Sr. is in the know.   FBI needs to take Bama and aTm down the same drain with Aubbie and Frank Martin.  Cal will get a hall pass unfortunately.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: LumberBacks on November 22, 2017, 10:19:23 pm
Plano West HS - Avery Johnson Jr (signee 2014-2015 season) 3* Nat'l rank #414
Plano West HS- DJ Hogg (signee 2015-2016 season) 4* Nat'l rank #30
Plano West HS - Tyler Davis (signee 2015-2016 season) 4* Nat'l rank #31

Very rare that 3 players from the same high school would sign with the same college team (aTm) a year apart.  Avery Johnson Jr. was not that highly recruited but signed with a P5 team.  Year later, two top 10 players at their position (center, power fwd) signed with aTm from Avery Jrs. high school and AAU teams.   

Avery Sr. was well connected with their AAU team, Texas Titans.  Word in N. Dallas was that Avery Sr. got a favor (aTm signing his kid) for steering top prospects Hogg and Davis aTm's way a year later.  Any favors pass hands?  Never been proven.  But Avery Sr. is a win-at-all-cost guy.  Circumvented UIL rules to steer D1 players to Plano West.  In addition to Hogg and Davis that signed with aTm, teammate Mickey Mitchell signed with Ohio State.  That's three 4* on the same high school team in the same class which just doesn't happen unless you are Oak Hill Academy.  No surprise that Bama Director of BB Ops Kobie Baker abruptly resigned in Sept. after FBI named him as "Staff Member 1" in their ongoing investigation.   Avery Sr. is in the know.   FBI needs to take Bama and aTm down the same drain with Aubbie and Frank Martin.  Cal will get a hall pass unfortunately.

It does make you go, hmmm...might also be a nexus( reason) for Bamas early season ranking. They have acquired a few nice pieces on paper, since AJ came on board. Sexton, Keys, Giddens,Petty, Tevin Mack transfer from Texas. Hell we can throw in John Pelphrey what the hell...