Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Both coaches tomorrow coaching for their jobs....

Started by LZH, September 22, 2017, 05:39:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LZH

Whoever loses is going to be fired. Maybe not Sunday or Monday, although if A&M were to lose it wouldn't surprise me if they cut Sumlin loose immediately, but this is a make-or-break game for both coaches.

The more I hear from NWA, the more I am convinced that Bielema must pull a rabbit out of his hat to save his job this year. That begins tomorrow.

Tejano Jawg

I agree about Sumlin. The 2 big Texas schools (Ags, Horns) have a really out-of-whack expectation. Which is strange, since neither has amounted to jack S for years, with the exception of the first Manziel year. The Aggies would think that move would satisfy the angry mob. I hope we find out.

Living in Dallas, as you can expect, this coaching matchup is all I'm hearing about. However, the new Hogs uniforms did get some press here.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Tejano Jawg

A station just did a segment on the game. Quotes--

"Arkansas is where they always are—nowhere. The Hogs are never really bad, but they're never really good either."

That's what happens when you go years without knocking off someone and making some noise. The bowl win over Texas was talked about a lot—more from the Texas standpoint—but that was a long time ago. Things like our awful finish last year will make people forget about you FAST.

One guy picks the Aggies just because he thinks the Ags have our number.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

LZH

Apparently that story is being floated around in some circles up in Arkansas. I would never imagine Jeff long would fire anyone during the middle of the season unless it was a complete disaster or something illegal happened. But A&M apparently is pissed enough to do just that.

Who knows? I do know that if Bielema doesn't win this game, or at least he isn't very competitive, he is a lame duck head coach in for a long season.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: LZH on September 22, 2017, 06:10:05 pm
Apparently that story is being floated around in some circles up in Arkansas. I would never imagine Jeff long would fire anyone during the middle of the season unless it was a complete disaster or something illegal happened. But A&M apparently is pissed enough to do just that.

The Aggie unrest here is high. I don't know what the temperature is in Arkansas (other than what I read here.) But Long, to his credit, is rational. The only way he would do anything, and just a guess, is if it appears that Bielema has truly lost the team. As you say—complete disaster. I didn't think that was possible under CBB, but then again, I never could have imagined seeing what I saw in these last 3 relevant games—Mizzou, V-Tech and TCU.

Going into the TCU game, I was ready to see us play well, get a W, and reset my thinking. But instead it got worse. The A&M game tomorrow has a chance to be a new beginning for Bielema, if he takes it.

Porkchop#1

I just hope Coach Bielema doesn't fall down and half kill himself walking into the stadium, like he has before.

MuskogeeHogFan

Who knows? I do know that if Bielema doesn't win this game, or at least he isn't very competitive, he is a lame duck head coach in for a long season.

Ya think? I think it all depends on how the rest of the season plays out, though I admit, the A&M game looms large. But it probably looms larger for fans than anyone anyone who has any degree of control over Bielema's future.

What do you think would happen if he lost close to A&M making us 1-2, but then went on a run of winning 6 games in a row, including an upset of Alabama, loses to LSU and then finishes the last two games with wins ending up 9-3? Think losing to A&M still gets him fired even if it is after the 2018 season? See what I mean? Yeah, this game is important but Sumlin is coaching for his job a whole lot more than Bielema is and for either of them, the season has to play out.
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on September 22, 2017, 06:21:35 pm
The Aggie unrest here is high. I don't know what the temperature is in Arkansas (other than what I read here.) But Long, to his credit, is rational. The only way he would do anything, and just a guess, is if it appears that Bielema has truly lost the team. As you say—complete disaster. I didn't think that was possible under CBB, but then again, I never could have imagined seeing what I saw in these last 3 relevant games—Mizzou, V-Tech and TCU.

Going into the TCU game, I was ready to see us play well, get a W, and reset my thinking. But instead it got worse. The A&M game tomorrow has a chance to be a new beginning for Bielema, if he takes it.

If we blow out A&M tomorrow, I could honestly see Chavis or someone take over for the rest of the year because those boys down there are tired of Sumlin. As far as Jeff Long and Bielema go, I can't imagine him firing a coach during the season. He deserves a chance to try at least and right the ship, but more importantly to me those seniors deserve a chance to play for the guy they came to Arkansas to play for.

But, of course that doesn't mean he won't get his ass run off in December.

ricepig

I think that's something else that is floating, lol. He isn't being fired if we lose tomorrow, a decision would be made at the end of the year and it'll take a 3-4 win season to get the axe.

ADavisTheGOAT

If Bielema were to get hired by Nebraska after this season, could they pay part of the buyout?
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

LZH

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 22, 2017, 06:27:14 pm
Ya think? I think it all depends on how the rest of the season plays out, though I admit, the A&M game looms large. But it probably looms larger for fans than anyone anyone who has any degree of control over Bielema's future.

What do you think would happen if he lost close to A&M making us 1-2, but then went on a run of winning 6 games in a row, including an upset of Alabama, loses to LSU and then finishes the last two games with wins ending up 9-3? Think losing to A&M still gets him fired even if it is after the 2018 season? See what I mean? Yeah, this game is important but Sumlin is coaching for his job a whole lot more than Bielema is and for either of them, the season has to play out.

I dig ya cuz. But over the last week I have begun to believe that Bielema is in a lot hotter water than most of us thought. And Jeff long is not immune either Imo.

In the end, Long will do as told.  I doubt anyone who has power has authorized firing BB if we lose.  The same fire in the belly that a HC must have is also a requirement for the AD and those above him.  I doubt if Jeff Long has any fire in the belly so it will come from above him.

What  I am looking for tomorrow is does this team have fire in its belly.  I thought sure BB would instill that between last season and this season.  I guess he just didn't have time what with all those responsibilities to manage the overall team, listen to music, tweet, press conferences, hiring more assistants, vacation, etc..  Like Nutt, I've been told the Guy works from can to can't, 7 days weekly.           

Just a little fire in the belly please.  Now if we can muster that, how about maybe a few plays on offense where it just looks like they were practiced just a bit.  You know, just a few plays that didn't look like the QB just thought up the play in the huddle, make it look like at least some of the players had at least a walk through on the damn thing maybe back in the spring.

hogcard1964

The Toilet Bowl

I agree with the OP, but I don't think we could possibly lose to these guys.

grayhawg

Quote from: LZH on September 22, 2017, 06:31:32 pm
I dig ya cuz. But over the last week I have begun to believe that Bielema is in a lot hotter water than most of us thought. And Jeff long is not immune either Imo.
I really doubt that Bielema is in any danger of being fired, before the end of 2018 season

PorkSoda

Sumlin aint going anywhere either.  his buy out is as big as CBBs except his is due within 60 days in full.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

farmhawg

Quote from: LZH on September 22, 2017, 05:39:30 pm
Whoever loses is going to be fired. Maybe not Sunday or Monday, although if A&M were to lose it wouldn't surprise me if they cut Sumlin loose immediately, but this is a make-or-break game for both coaches.

The more I hear from NWA, the more I am convinced that Bielema must pull a rabbit out of his hat to save his job this year. That begins tomorrow.
Unfortunately for us.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Sivad

Both coaches will be coaching their respective teams next week regardless of Saturday's Southwest Classic outcome.
A big game sure, but way over egged by the media as some kind of bizarre "coach to the death/last man standing" battle.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LZH on September 22, 2017, 06:31:32 pm

Well, we will see. Bielema may not make an exit until after the 2018 season, but I do agree that this is a pivotal season for his long term future at Arkansas. Needs to win 9, however he gets that done. But I will say that a loss to A&M makes that task a little bit more difficult. Not impossible, but definately more difficult.
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

Quote from: grayhawg on September 22, 2017, 06:35:25 pm
I really doubt that Bielema is in any danger of being fired, before the end of 2018 season

A couple of weeks ago I thought the same thing, man, but now I am not so sure.

HoggyCat

Last year there was a game like that in the SEC. Auburn beat LSU, we all know what happened to Miles.

But what some don't realize is, we lost to both teams at a combined score of 94-13.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

HamIAm

If Long stuck with John L. Smith through that season he's not about to fire Bielema mid-season. Whine and moan all you want, it's a fact.

farmhawg

Long should be fired first, better chance of finding the right replacement next year.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

LZH

LZH

Quote from: HamIAm on September 22, 2017, 07:00:50 pm
If Long stuck with John L. Smith through that season he's not about to fire Bielema mid-season. Whine and moan all you want, it's a fact.

Not sure if you are talking to me or not, but no, I don't believe Jeff Long would ever fire anybody midseason.

But I do want to make it clear that it is my serious belief that this may not completely his decision anymore.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

FraggleHog

Quote from: Hogfan991 on September 22, 2017, 06:30:00 pm
If Bielema were to get hired by Nebraska after this season, could they pay part of the buyout?

If he leaves for a new job. He only owes us a few million. Which I
Imagine we would demand they pay
For the whole buyout.
Calling the Hogs from DFW

LZH

Quote from: Kevin on September 22, 2017, 07:10:31 pm
Without incident I am not sure he will fire cbb

I wouldn't think he would either. But if he had a commitment from a coach such as that kid from Memphis, or Dan Mullen, or Fuentes at Virginia Tech, his mind may be made up by Sunday afternoon. And as I said before, he will have plenty of help making up his mind come December.

STLhawg

What do you think would happen if he lost close to A&M making us 1-2, but then went on a run of winning 6 games in a row, including an upset of Alabama, loses to LSU and then finishes the last two games with wins ending up 9-3?
What color is the sky in your world?  Seriously, there is less than a 0.000000000000000001% chance that we lose to A&M and beat Alabama this year.  Bielema has a better chance of winning the Powerball jackpot twice in the same week than your scenario.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: STLhawg on September 22, 2017, 07:18:49 pm
What color is the sky in your world?  Seriously, there is less than a 0.000000000000000001% chance that we lose to A&M and beat Alabama this year.  Bielema has a better chance of winning the Powerball jackpot twice in the same week than your scenario.

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 22, 2017, 06:41:39 pm
Well, we will see. Bielema may not make an exit until after the 2018 season, but I do agree that this is a pivotal season for his long term future at Arkansas. Needs to win 9, however he gets that done. But I will say that a loss to A&M makes that task a little bit more difficult. Not impossible, but definately more difficult.

Read more and complain less.
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

Quote from: STLhawg on September 22, 2017, 07:18:49 pm

Well in his defense, I have seen stranger things happen. Although I honestly believe it is already a done deal, Bielema may very well pull a Joe Kines and beat a couple of teams that he has no reason to beat. You never know.

Bubba's Bruisers

This team starting 1-2, but still finish 9-3?  Well, sure, nobody would care about an A$M loss.  That is one heck of an extreme the other way.  You think that's even remotely realistic?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Porkette

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on September 22, 2017, 06:09:14 pm
A station just did a segment on the game. Quotes--

"Arkansas is where they always are—nowhere."

I know they're Texas radio guys, but just to be clear here, if that statement of theirs  is true of Arkansas, it's every bit as true of the Texas A&M program.
GO HOGS GO!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 22, 2017, 07:34:17 pm
This team starting 1-2, but still finish 9-3?  Well, sure, nobody would care about an A$M loss.  That is one heck of an extreme the other way.  You think that's even remotely realistic?

Possible? Yes. Likely, no, which is why I followed that up with another statement below that one.

But hey, after what we have seen, none of us have any real idea about what we are going to see on the field tomorrow either.
Go Hogs Go!

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 22, 2017, 07:37:28 pm
Possible? Yes. Likely, no, which is why I followed that up with another statement below that one.

Which statement? 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

hawgon

I think Long put himself in a little unnecessary jeopardy with that "We are not a win at all costs program" statement a few weeks ago. He didn't say anything revolutionary or that everyone didn't already know, but I have to think it probably pissed off at least a few heavy hitters.

Both of these guys, Long and Bielema, can't seem to help themselves sometimes.  Right now, there is absolutely NOTHING that either one of them can say that isn't going to piss off a sizeable number of people.  Best to say AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE and hope things get back on track.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hawgon on September 22, 2017, 07:44:16 pm
I think Long put himself in a little unnecessary jeopardy with that "We are not a win at all costs program" statement a few weeks ago. He didn't say anything revolutionary or that everyone didn't already know, but I have to think it probably pissed off at least a few heavy hitters.

Both of these guys, Long and Bielema, can't seem to help themselves sometimes.  Right now, there is absolutely NOTHING that either one of them can say that isn't going to piss off a sizeable number of people.  Best to say AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE and hope things get back on track.

I never heard the quote, so I take with a grain of salt, because I don't know what was said before and after.  Don't know the context.

STLhawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 22, 2017, 07:24:34 pm
Read more and complain less.
Just calling a spade a spade!  Your scenario is so incredidibly unrealistic it seems pointless to even bring it up IMO.  You could have made the same point without that hyperbole.

STLhawg

Here is more context:
"Yes, winning is important," Long told fans at the Little Rock Touchdown Club this week. "Now contrast that if you're a win-at-all-cost program which we're not and I've said many, many times we're not, then you don't worry about the academics, you don't worry about the conduct, you just win.
"And you know what? When I arrived here 10 years ago, that's not what the leaders wanted at the time and certainly that's certainly not what we've delivered."

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: STLhawg on September 22, 2017, 07:50:51 pm
Just calling a spade a spade!  Your scenario is so incredidibly unrealistic it seems pointless to even bring it up IMO.  You could have made the same point without that hyperbole.

Hard to take serious any suggestion that we could finish 8-1 after losing to a bad A$M team...as if it's plausible.  A schedule with Bama, AU, LSU, USCE and MSU still remaining.  I mean I could buy 7-5, which would be a serious stretch, but 9-3 is light years beyond 7-5. 

Hawgzinbowlz

Sumlin, quite likely.

CBB, not so much.

" GO HOGS "

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: STLhawg on September 22, 2017, 07:50:51 pm

Here's the thing, you nor I, nor anyone else, knows how this season is going to play out at this point. And no, you aren't "calling a spade, a spade" which implies some ability to project the future or some knowledge of coaching Div I, P-5 football that enables you to make precise calculations about the future of a team based on two games. Even those who do possess that level of expertise would not make that projection.
Go Hogs Go!

Kevin

Lzh I find what your saying unbelievable

Hope it is true
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: LZH on September 22, 2017, 07:16:47 pm
I wouldn't think he would either. But if he had a commitment from a coach such as that kid from Memphis, or Dan Mullen, or Fuentes at Virginia Tech, his mind may be made up by Sunday afternoon. And as I said before, he will have plenty of help making up his mind come December.

I just don't see BB going anywhere at the end of the season sans him going 0fer in the SEC or wanting out on his own.  He'll very likely finish well enough to survive to 2018, so if he's goes away, then it will be him leaving on his own.

toxichog

I don't care if it's A&M or Arkansas or whoever.........firing a college coach in the middle of a season ( assuming there isn't something illegal discovered ) is really dumb.  It's not going to help your record this year, unless all the players hate the coach.  It also doesn't help you in hiring the next coach........who wants to work for a class program.  You are much better off letting the season be played out, then make an intelligent decision.

hawgon

That whole statement by Long makes me madder every time I think about it.  As if we were that sort of program before St. Jeff rode in on his white  stallion carrying his carpet bag and saved us from the ignominy of winning at all costs.  Frick that guy.

STLhawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 22, 2017, 08:05:35 pm
Here's the thing, you nor I, nor anyone else, knows how this season is going to play out at this point. And no, you aren't "calling a spade, a spade" which implies some ability to project the future or some knowledge of coaching Div I, P-5 football that enables you to make precise calculations about the future of a team based on two games. Even those who do possess that level of expertise would not make that projection.
Sure technically anything can happen.  Perhaps what occurs is Bielema promptly retires after losing to A&M then Saban also decides to retire the same day because he wants to coach Arkansas instead -- so he takes over immediately going undefeated for the next 3 years.  That too is possible but is so improbable it really doesn't warrant discussion.

So yes, I was calling a spade (hyperbole) a spade (hyperbole).

hog.goblin

Quote from: LZH on September 22, 2017, 05:39:30 pm

Nope, Bret needs to win 3 more games to be coaching here in 2018.  The 2 nonconference games and any 1 of our SEC games.  That's right, 4 - 8 buys him one more year.  It's all about the buyout.

jst01

Quote from: hog.goblin on September 22, 2017, 09:19:47 pm
Nope, Bret needs to win 3 more games to be coaching here in 2018.  The 2 nonconference games and any 1 of our SEC games.  That's right, 4 - 8 buys him one more year.  It's all about the buyout.

You implying that a winless SEC record gets him canned but one win doesnt?

bigeasyhog

Quote from: hawgon on September 22, 2017, 09:16:14 pm
That whole statement by Long makes me madder every time I think about it.  As if we were that sort of program before St. Jeff rode in on his white  stallion carrying his carpet bag and saved us from the ignominy of winning at all costs.  Frick that guy.

I feel the same way; I resent him making the insinuation that there has been a concerted effort or voice by the the fans that we should adopt a " win at all costs or any price..." policy. There was no collective push by fans , even thinking that before he made those remarks two weeks ago in Little Rock. The other leap with those remarks were , and unless you do, you can't win at a high level, which is not the case at all. I took it as an affront to the entire fan base. Personally, I think he's been really content to exercise the" hear no evil, speak no evil, see no evil " mantra with his charge as AD here. As long as the base didn't begin to be a "squeaky wheel" he's been perfectly happy to allow these results.
This is what happens with a mercenary. When you bring in a " hired gun" unless the party that's contracted their services voices displeasure with the results of the mission, they're fine. Jeff Long is not personally fully invested in this position. He's not up the sky box pacing the floor with every snap, and he doesn't have to walk out to calm himself during rough parts to games. Sure, he wants the programs to do well, but it's just not personal to him, just like it wouldn't be for me if I were the AD at his alma mater Michigan. Which , btw, if he's all that, then why aren't they falling all over themselves to hire him away? And, just to piggyback that , who 's coveting our current coach?

A good litmus test of when you've got the right hire is when your competitors are making overtures to them. Don't see or hear where that's happening right now with either.

East Clintwood

Quote from: Hogfan991 on September 22, 2017, 06:30:00 pm

I would think we'd be happy to waive his buyout just to get rid of him.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma