Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Andy Staples on Paul Finebaum just said coach B

Started by forrest city joe, September 20, 2017, 03:14:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RebHog

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 20, 2017, 06:18:41 pm
I believe that Jeff Long wants to win, but a certain way.

Just winning is not enough; he wants to win in such a way than when we do, UA is held up as the example of the school who, despite being in one of the toughest conferences in the country, is winning "the right way." Winning with the proper perspective; kids go to class, behave themselves on and off the field, contribute in the community, and graduate. And he's not going to sacrifice those things in order to win more games.

A lot of schools can win; to do it the way Long wants to would be...."uncommon."

My read, anyway.

Good post I wonder behind the scenes if/how many recruits are off limits due to this?

PonderinHog

Quote from: LZH on September 20, 2017, 08:27:48 pm
Well don't screw me up so much that I forget my birthday backwards and windup locked out of everything online.

He's on board, but we all have our off nights.
How do you screw up 7/7/77 ???

Porkchop#1

Quote from: HawgPound on September 20, 2017, 06:19:33 pm
I agree with the quote you replied too. It has nothing to do with Bielema being bigger than the program. Have you forgotten what an outhouse it was when Bielema got there? If you want change, real lasting change, you have to build a solid foundation. That is what Bielema has been doing with that "off the field stuff" that you are not so excited about. Sure he has to start winning now but he isn't going anywhere this year and that is a good thing.
An outhouse??  We were one year removed from a top 5 finish when Bielema got here.  That makes no sense, at all.

We've turned into an outhouse though, looking at the 56-3 drilling by an average Auburn team or the 70-0 second half collapses of our last 3 real games, and that's not a good thing.

LZH

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 20, 2017, 08:40:32 pm
How do you screw up 7/7/77 ???

I see disco songs being played backwards.  See? I told you to not get cute.

hogcard1964

It's damage control.  If he tanks this season, which I don't think he will, I think we'll win at least 7 games, he'll be fired in January.

Al Boarland

Genius move by CBB to drop dang near every game his first season. He was able to set the bar so low every year looked like improvement for a couple years.

LZH

Quote from: Al Boarland on September 20, 2017, 09:03:21 pm
Genius move by CBB to drop dang near every game his first season. He was able to set the bar so low every year looked like improvement for a couple years.

All it is best for me to say is that he is fighting for his job right now, not just at the end of the season. 6 - 6 is a death sentence for him.

HawgPound

Quote from: Porkchop#1 on September 20, 2017, 08:43:05 pm
An outhouse??  We were one year removed from a top 5 finish when Bielema got here.  That makes no sense, at all.

We've turned into an outhouse though, looking at the 56-3 drilling by an average Auburn team or the 70-0 second half collapses of our last 3 real games, and that's not a good thing.

SMILE!!!

Sheesh. Are we going to forget the 2012 season and how much it buried the program? Nobody wanted to touch it after the John L Smith fiasco. Yes, we were one year removed from a top 5 finish but that year was a 4 win season. So yes, outhouse and it make a lot more sense than pretending that season didn't happen.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: HawgPound on September 20, 2017, 09:23:18 pm
SMILE!!!

Sheesh. Are we going to forget the 2012 season and how much it buried the program? Nobody wanted to touch it after the John L Smith fiasco. Yes, we were one year removed from a top 5 finish but that year was a 4 win season. So yes, outhouse and it make a lot more sense than pretending that season didn't happen.

Where do you think we are headed right now? Start with Auburn last year and start working your way to TCU....trot Florida out as a bright spot, hold it up in the sun and watch it burn as LSU ran through us...Mizzou gave us a wedgie and VA Tech stole our lunch money and two weeks ago, we just took our money and handed it to TCU...just gave it right to them because we are good, kind hearted folks....

Study on that.

PRJ

RazorPiggie

I think it's funny y'all think Andy Staples knows what's going on in Arkansas.

Hog Pharm

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 20, 2017, 09:43:43 pm
I think it's funny y'all think Andy Staples knows what's going on in Arkansas.

Haha yep

HawgPound

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on September 20, 2017, 09:36:16 pm
Where do you think we are headed right now? Start with Auburn last year and start working your way to TCU....trot Florida out as a bright spot, hold it up in the sun and watch it burn as LSU ran through us...Mizzou gave us a wedgie and VA Tech stole our lunch money and two weeks ago, we just took our money and handed it to TCU...just gave it right to them because we are good, kind hearted folks....

Study on that.

PRJ

I don't have to study on anything. Bielema will most likely be here next year regardless of the record and there is nothing you or I can do about it. My hope is the wins will start showing up but if they don't I am not going to cry if/when he leaves. My point to porkchop was he ignored one of the biggest mistakes in Arkansas football history and tried to play it off Arkansas was closer to a top 5 team than the cellar when Bielema got here.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: HawgPound on September 20, 2017, 09:23:18 pm
SMILE!!!

We went from a smile and 4 wins under JLS, to a confused look and 3 wins under CBB, so obviously someone not only wanted to touch it, but turns out, do even worse with it.

Which is pretty much, the whole problem.

Now you're saying, CBB just needs more time, which really, just doesn't make any sense.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: HawgPound on September 20, 2017, 10:18:32 pm
I don't have to study on anything. Bielema will most likely be here next year regardless of the record and there is nothing you or I can do about it. My hope is the wins will start showing up but if they don't I am not going to cry if/when he leaves. My point to porkchop was he ignored one of the biggest mistakes in Arkansas football history and tried to play it off Arkansas was closer to a top 5 team than the cellar when Bielema got here.

So....as of today...with how you have seen what we have done in the last 6 games...do you believe we are closer to the top or closer to the cellar....easy peasy choice...Hint...the answer is B...

PRJ

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Stewhog 11 on September 20, 2017, 04:31:08 pm
If I see a hog pick up 6 acorns I might have a few questions but none of them are, "I wonder if it's blind?"

Bielema's overall record at Arkansas.

26 wins  27 losses

I would say those 6 wins amounts to a blind hog finding an acorn.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: forrest city joe on September 20, 2017, 03:14:50 pm
Is not going anywhere unless Arkansas get blown out every game the rest of the season. said Long knew how bad the program was when coach B took over.and that he did not want to make a change.if this is true(and it well could be)i don't know what to think?when was the decision made that winning was not the main thing for a coach at Arkansas?was it after Long fired Bobby,and got all the national praise?and do his Boss feel the same way?
FCJ anyone who actually knows what they are talking about realizes the dumpster fire BP left, poured gas on it with the way he left and then Smiley preceded to add to it. The program was far worse than what Mack Brown left in Austin and how are they faring in the last 5 years in one of the weakest P5 conferences in the country.

That being said he better start winning that crap against TCU can not continue or he needs to be gone. Year 5 deserves better results.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on September 20, 2017, 10:44:46 pm
FCJ anyone who actually knows what they are talking about realizes the dumpster fire BP left, poured gas on it with the way he left and then Smiley preceded to add to it. The program was far worse than what Mack Brown left in Austin and how are they faring in the last 5 years in one of the weakest P5 conferences in the country.

That being said he better start winning that crap against TCU can not continue or he needs to be gone. Year 5 deserves better results.

Oh My...

PRJ

HawgPound

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on September 20, 2017, 10:23:10 pm
So....as of today...with how you have seen what we have done in the last 6 games...do you believe we are closer to the top or closer to the cellar....easy peasy choice...Hint...the answer is B...

PRJ
Again, my point was someone glossed over the fact that we were in the cellar when Bielema got here. Not only did they gloss over it, they tried to say the program was one year removed from a top 5 program. While that was true it was one of the worst years in the programs history as far as stability goes.

Yes, the program is having win issues right now. However, Long is most likely going to give him six years to get things moving in the right direction by doing things "the right way" as he sees it. I have no problem with that. Like I said earlier though, if the wins don't come I will not cry when Bielema leaves. Or when Long leaves for that matter. Whining over him being here right now though is not going to change a thing this season so I am not going to waste my energy doing it.

MushroomCloudHog

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 20, 2017, 03:19:43 pm
Did Long get bitten by a tsetse fly and just wake up from African sleeping sickness?  This is year five for Bielema at Arkansas.  The "he inherited a mess" excuse, flimsy as it was, expired about the time the roster became stocked with mostly his own recruits.

Long is either a professional liar and con man or a moron.

Long made the mess and damage much more extensive with how he handled the aftermath of the Petrino firing.  That period of time between the firing and hiring of Bert definitely was a train wreck.  You can't blame Petrino or Bert for that.

IronHog

🙄
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

hawgon

Petrino didn't do anything.  I doubt he was even let back in to clean out his office after his firing was announced.  Smith was a disaster and the SOLE responsibility for him lays at the feet of Jeff Long. 

hogcard1964

hogcard1964

September 21, 2017, 08:14:03 am #122 Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 08:24:19 am by hogcard1964
Quote from: HawgPound on September 20, 2017, 10:57:28 pm
Yes, the program is having win issues right now. However, Long is most likely going to give him six years to get things moving in the right direction by doing things "the right way" as he sees it. I have no problem with that.

You do realize that this talking point has morphed from 3 to 4 to 5 years already?

Except it was stated that we would be competing for an SEC title during these periods of time, not simply getting "things moving in the right direction".

When he fails again this year and comes up short again in 2018, are you going to be pleading to keep him around for another year?

I'm perplexed at the adoration shown to this guy.  Is it because he's perceived as a nice person? Does the press like him because he's their buddy?  Is he just viewed as a big dumb lovable loser?  Does he have incriminating pictures of someone?  I ask because he sure as shi^ doesn't know how to coach and he's not a very good recruiter either.  It's very strange and almost "cult like".  You people do realize he's statistically one of the worst coaches to ever coach here, don't you?

Razorbackers

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 20, 2017, 04:51:54 pm
I disagree...he hasn't extinguished anything. The program has been nothing but unfounded offseason hype. His main accomplishments here are off the field stuff, which may or may not be what pump you up as a fan on Saturday's. For me...it just doesn't do it. What pumps me up is good football play by the Hogs.

The problem here is you put the coach above the program. Bret Bielema is bigger than the Arkansas Razorbacks to you. I'll never understand why people put these temporary coaches up on a pedestal like this...but you are far from alone, it's an epidemic.

Ok so two things

1 we went from averaging an arrest every 2 weeks to having what...3-4 arrests in his entire time here? And for minor things like minor in possession?

and 2 no coach is permanent what are you talking about?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 20, 2017, 03:19:43 pm
Did Long get bitten by a tsetse fly and just wake up from African sleeping sickness?  This is year five for Bielema at Arkansas.  The "he inherited a mess" excuse, flimsy as it was, expired about the time the roster became stocked with mostly his own recruits.

Long is either a professional liar and con man or a moron.

I called him a Carpet bagger many times and folks acted like I was an Idiot! 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Razorbackers

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 21, 2017, 08:59:40 am
I called him a Carpet bagger many times and folks acted like I was an Idiot!

well...

Redhogs

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on September 20, 2017, 03:37:49 pm
Different sports and situation--- but how did you feel about Mike Anderson finishing .500 in year 6?  How do you feel about him now? 

Long said Arkansas is not a "win at all cost" program.  That means we don't want to cheat or recruit felons, right?  Does that really mean we don't want to win?
Ah...the "either or" red herring argument again...awesome.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 20, 2017, 03:48:07 pm
I would have to look it up, but probably some of those 7 shouldn't have even been ranked when we played them.  Also, there is the aspect of how many of them ended the season ranked.

A lot of the 7 probably had some sort of internal disarray going on when we played them.  I presume our own internal mediocrity/disarray was less than theirs which helped us to get a win.
Wow. He just proved you wrong but you still are trying to justify your post. That's my friend is pure insanity and delusional at its finest...It's ok to be wrong on HV...look around and read - there are tons of wrong and nonsensical posts!!! Lol

Redhogs

Quote from: Hog Pharm on September 20, 2017, 06:02:48 pm
Amen. CBBs problem hasn't been not beating ranked teams. It's been losing to teams he shouldn't. But don't expect people with an agenda to use facts.
Yea...which is even worse.

Redhogs

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 21, 2017, 08:14:03 am
You do realize that this talking point has morphed from 3 to 4 to 5 years already?

Except it was stated that we would be competing for an SEC title during these periods of time, not simply getting "things moving in the right direction".

When he fails again this year and comes up short again in 2018, are you going to be pleading to keep him around for another year?

I'm perplexed at the adoration shown to this guy.  Is it because he's perceived as a nice person? Does the press like him because he's their buddy?  Is he just viewed as a big dumb lovable loser?  Does he have incriminating pictures of someone?  I ask because he sure as shi^ doesn't know how to coach and he's not a very good recruiter either.  It's very strange and almost "cult like".  You people do realize he's statistically one of the worst coaches to ever coach here, don't you?
But we lose with integrity and stability...don't sweat the small stuff. ;) ;)

BallHog1

Quote from: forrest city joe on September 20, 2017, 03:14:50 pm
Is not going anywhere unless Arkansas get blown out every game the rest of the season. said Long knew how bad the program was when coach B took over.and that he did not want to make a change.if this is true(and it well could be)i don't know what to think?when was the decision made that winning was not the main thing for a coach at Arkansas?was it after Long fired Bobby,and got all the national praise?and do his Boss feel the same way?

Did you read what you just wrote? Does it say that Long said he didn't care about winning? or does it say he knew how bad the program had gotten when Coach was brought here to take over?

Why is this hard to follow?

hawgon

Win out from here on in and the question of "How did we lose to TCU?" should still be asked.

These slow starts kill a program.  They make the season meaningless from a big picture/national relevance point of view.  National relevance is what drives recruiting and favorable exposure that helps recruiting.

ricepig

BallHog1

Quote from: Porkchop#1 on September 20, 2017, 08:43:05 pm

The year after BP left was one year removed from a top 5 finish. Were we an outhouse then or doing fine in your opinion?

Redhogs

Quote from: ricepig on September 20, 2017, 06:49:26 pm
Yeah, and Bielema isn't the only coach that can do it that way, so without needed results, we'll find another "uncommon" coach.
Thank you...apparently BB can't do it that way, that's the problem.

HognotinMemphis

It will continue to morph into a longer term because it is human nature to bend the scenario to the desired/hoped for outcome. If he can't do it in 4 years, then 5, or 6 or 7. Eventually, he will be fired but probably well after he should have been. No rabid fan wants to admit their program, their university, their alma mater, has failed. Looks like Long and the U of A failed in hiring Bielema. After 10-22 in SEC in first 4 years, and looking like this year will be no more than 3 SEC wins if that, I think it's reasonable to say that after 5 years, that record is a fail.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

The Hawg Marshal

Redhogs

Quote from: hawgon on September 21, 2017, 09:29:44 am
Win out from here on in and the question of "How did we lose to TCU?" should still be asked.

These slow starts kill a program.  They make the season meaningless from a big picture/national relevance point of view.  National relevance is what drives recruiting and favorable exposure that helps recruiting.
"Win out from here on in".....don't worry, that won't be an issue. :-\ :-\

BallHog1

Quote from: hawgon on September 21, 2017, 07:37:55 am
Petrino didn't do anything.  I doubt he was even let back in to clean out his office after his firing was announced.  Smith was a disaster and the SOLE responsibility for him lays at the feet of Jeff Long. 
there were so many great coaches out there to choose from, I can't imagine how he decided Smith (one of Petrino's solid assistants) was the right way to go......

The NewEra

My my my, some of you are sure going to be in a state of depression if the Hogs win this weekend. 

hawgon

Quote from: The NewEra on September 21, 2017, 09:49:43 am
My my my, some of you are sure going to be in a state of depression if the Hogs win this weekend.

Nah...don't worry.  If there is one thing that Bert doesn't handle well, it is definitely prosperity.  A few weeks of favorable press and resting on his ample laurels will have him laying a rather large egg in the next meaningful game.

GuvHog

That is pure unadulterated POPPYCOCK. The only reason the 2012 team went 4-8 is because Bobby Petrino was not there. They would have won at least 8 games with Bobby as HC that year because the talent to do so was there. Jeff Long's firing of Bobby and hiring of JLS is what ruined that season. There was no dumpster fire. Take a look at the starting lineup of the Hogs 2014 defense which was Bielema's best so far. There were at least 6 Petrino recruits that anchored that defense and it's no coincidence that the defense tanked after Petrino's recruits left the team.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HawgPound

It's not adoration on my part. It is reality. If you look at the buyout clause you can get a good picture of how many years Long is giving him.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: hawgon on September 20, 2017, 04:16:38 pm
Oh, we'll see.  These two guys, Long and Bielema, don't really have any idea how bad it can get at Arkansas.  Being around for the tail end of Nutt, Long thinks he does, but he really hasn't seen anything yet.

Long may not be around to see the end of the Bielema saga. 

It could be argued, and it would be a short argument, IMO, that Long's professional judgement was seriously compromised by the eight year contract (which is what the extension amounts to) that he granted BB, with the prodigious buyouts extending all the way to the end of the contract.

Some might think that poor judgement placed the university football program under undue financial risk if indeed performance by the head coach is deemed to be unacceptable and he should be relieved of duty.  Risks could include reduction in funds generated from ticket sales and donations, and the contractual payouts due to the head coach.

Integrity and the building program are good if they produce good things (wins).  Poor judgement by the lead university athletic administrator may put all his gains at risk, and lead to his own departure.

Would Hogville exist if not for all the diverse attitudes and opinions. 

Think about this:  If you were shown the TCU/Ark game like this.  Plain while unis for team A and plain black unis for Team B.  You have no clue who either team is.  You must watch the game without any added comment from anywhere.  You don't get to see any scoring play from either team.  You just saw a bunch of players on two teams, playing a football game, less the actual scoring.  Could you have correctly picked the winner and came close to the final score just by watching movement of the ball and the plays.

Now you are asked to pick who you believe won the game and then asked to pick the final score.  What would your answers be.

forrest city joe

Quote from: GuvHog on September 21, 2017, 09:54:29 am
That is pure unadulterated POPPYCOCK. The only reason the 2012 team went 4-8 is because Bobby Petrino was not there. They would have won at least 8 games with Bobby as HC that year because the talent to do so was there. Jeff Long's firing of Bobby and hiring of JLS is what ruined that season. There was no dumpster fire. Take a look at the starting lineup of the Hogs 2014 defense which was Bielema's best so far. There were at least 6 Petrino recruits that anchored that defense and it's no coincidence that the defense tanked after Petrino's recruits left the team.
We have disagreed on a l of of things Guv.but in this +1000

Hogwild

Just winning is not enough; he wants to win in such a way than when we do, UA is held up as the example of the school who, despite being in one of the toughest conferences in the country, is winning "the right way." Winning with the proper perspective; kids go to class, behave themselves on and off the field, contribute in the community, and graduate. And he's not going to sacrifice those things in order to win more games.

A lot of schools can win; to do it the way Long wants to would be...."uncommon."

My read, anyway.

That's good except we aren't winning.  Lost 30 of our. last 55 games, lost 25 of our last 35 SEC games.  If we lose this weekend, I don't think we have the men in the leadership positions to get it done.

Con el Cerdos

My read, anyway.

Wilson, if Jeff can do it . . . like Stanford does it, then I applaud him and would absolutely love it.

Just think he has tied his star/dream to the wrong HC.

ricepig

Quote from: Redhogs on September 21, 2017, 09:31:25 am
Thank you...apparently BB can't do it that way, that's the problem.

Not sure anyone can here, but we'll keep trying.

masondh

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on September 20, 2017, 03:37:49 pm
Different sports and situation--- but how did you feel about Mike Anderson finishing .500 in year 6?  How do you feel about him now? 

IMO I could see the improvement every year under Mike. We started with nothing and improved every year, albeit slowly. The lone exception was the year we lost Portis, which is less about the coach and more just what happens in college basketball when you lose a player of that caliber.

I can't say the same thing about Bielema. I haven't seen anything in one year that has given me any more hope than the last year.

If you can manage to improve every year you'll eventually when a championship. If you can't then its time to try something else