Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just talked to an East Texas high school coach...I’m pumped!

Started by hawgon, February 14, 2018, 12:44:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgon

Everyone loves Chad Morris and especially Traylor.  Arkansas is already in on a ton of kids all over down there and working hard.  When I asked how he thought the staff would do in general on East Texas recruiting, he said, "I think they will get whoever they want."

He has a QB who is already getting lots of looks from the likes Oklahoma State, Texas, Ohio State and us.

Hawgzinbowlz

hogsanity

Quote from: hawgon on February 14, 2018, 12:44:57 pm
Everyone loves Chad Morris and especially Traylor.  Arkansas is already in on a ton of kids all over down there and working hard.  When I asked how he thought the staff would do in general on East Texas recruiting, he said, "I think they will get whoever they want."

He has a QB who is already getting lots of looks from the likes Oklahoma State, Texas, Ohio State and us.

Any mention of SEc level linebackers, safties or cb's?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hawgon

Quote from: hogsanity on February 14, 2018, 12:49:23 pm

What do you know?  Mr. Woe is Wittle Ol Arkisaw strikes again.

jimmiewkersh

East Texas football is amazing football.  Some big ole boys down there and they are tough as nails.  If this staff can get East Texas, the DFW area, and the Houston area studs then the Razorbacks will be feared again soon.

jkstock04

Quote from: hawgon on February 14, 2018, 12:44:57 pm

Sounds like awesome news.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

WedingtonStreaker

Sounds like he is working hard. I bet this time last year, the last guy in his spot was hardly working.

hawgon

Quote from: WedingtonStreaker on February 14, 2018, 02:48:56 pm
Sounds like he is working hard. I bet this time last year, the last guy in his spot was hardly working.

He said not only did he never see Bielema or any of the Arkansas guys the entire time Bielema was there, no one he knew ever saw anyone from Arkansas very much.

Hawgboy64

They need to get 540 extended to US 59 all the way to Houston and pipeline those kids to the Hill.
"Of all the things I've lost, my mind is what I miss the most." Mark Twain

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

twistitup

Lots of good talent in East Texas....I can't believe the SEC doesn't see much value there- Arkansas is back in its old stomping ground...leave it up to LSU to sniff out this monster- Chasen Hines, DT, 6-3, 353, Marshall (LSU)

http://etsn.fm/east-texas-produces-30-division-i-football-signees-in-2018/

We've gotten some good talent out of that area in the past.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

jgphillips3

If, and its a big if, Morris can successfully pull big time talent to the hill from Texas, bumping our mid-20's, lower half, SEC recruiting to the teens, if not higher once in a while, the good old days have returned.  Given the emphasis he put on defense in this stop gap class, I believe he gets it.  Only time will tell if he can actually pull the kids, but if he does, look out.

hawgon

Traylor is huuuge on the East Texas recruiting.  It can't be overstated as to what he was able to do at Gilmer and how respected he is there.

OLEJACKETFAN

The boy from Marshall was well known about. Wasn't going to SMU & probably too far along in process to LSU for CM to flip. Remember this, Claude Mathis was his HS Coach. He had been on SMU Staff the 2 previous years. But something isn't exactly right between Mathis and Morris.

twistitup

Quote from: OLEJACKETFAN on February 14, 2018, 05:19:37 pm
The boy from Marshall was well known about. Wasn't going to SMU & probably too far along in process to LSU for CM to flip. Remember this, Claude Mathis was his HS Coach. He had been -on SMU Staff the 2 previous years. But something isn't exactly right between Mathis and Morris.

We need some kids that size...truly difference makers in the middle (especially now we are going back to 4 down lineman)
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hawgmasta

Quote from: twistitup on February 14, 2018, 05:29:07 pm
We need some kids that size...truly difference makers in the middle (especially now we are going back to 4 down lineman)

Chavis in that living room flashing a NC ring can't hurt!

Tusks

Isn't future hall of  famer Jason Peters from down in that part of Texas
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

onebadrubi

We could afford a short DB class this coming year.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: hawgon on February 14, 2018, 02:11:03 pm

Seems like a pretty honest and on topic question to me.

Bkhardicars

I truly believe we can come in 3rd or 4th place in TX recruiting, 2nd or 3rd in LA, 1st in Ar, and compete for the SEC.

Dark Helmet Hog

Good news.

The key to success at Arkansas has been and always will be recruiting well in Texas.

I realize this goes waaaaay back but Jimmy Johnson was a Port Author, Orange, Texas area boy.  Times are different and we don't have the likes of Frank Broyles and his rep for having honest to goodness top assistants to train those Kids, but if we could get just a few of the better ones from that area, we could improve by a couple of wins annually.  These Kids used to skip LSU and A&M and come to the Hill.  I know, that was yesterday.

HawgHeadCheese

I coach in the Dallas independent school area. This is my 2nd year and I wasn't familiar with Chad Morris story until he was mentioned as a candidate but I kept hearing his name mentioned from various coaches before I actually knew who he was. I've heard nothing but good things myself.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: hawgon on February 14, 2018, 02:55:30 pm
He said not only did he never see Bielema or any of the Arkansas guys the entire time Bielema was there, no one he knew ever saw anyone from Arkansas very much.

Insanity. What was the last staff even doing?

If these Kids have heard of us and like our style and if the direct competition, LSU and A&M, haven't been beating our brains out, some of them will come to us.  It takes year round work.

OU is trying to make their Spring game a sell out this year and are bringing in Juniors by the truck load to visit that weekend.  I do not know the rules but they plan to be big on show and tell that weekend.  All this while we are show dogging at WMS.  Maybe we can show our potentials the new briar patch where the Guys go the urinate and have some obstacle speed dashes between the potential Juniors and the local hoods.  We could make the dashes fair by having each contestant carry a big screen under one arm and a football under the other so no one would have a decided advantage.  Kidding, of course.  Once we get back on track, I bet this staff will actually work year round to have a presentable team.  On second thought, I bet some of those Little Rock Dudes are time trial quick and can hurdle a white picket fence with  80 pounds of quick sell goods under their arms.   We might find a few diamonds in the rough out of that group.  They just need a little how to, they have lots of want to already.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: 12247 on February 14, 2018, 06:31:09 pm
I realize this goes waaaaay back but Jimmy Johnson was a Port Author, Orange, Texas area boy.  Times are different and we don't have the likes of Frank Broyles and his rep for having honest to goodness top assistants to train those Kids, but if we could get just a few of the better ones from that area, we could improve by a couple of wins annually.  These Kids used to skip LSU and A&M and come to the Hill.  I know, that was yesterday.

No reason we can't get them to skip again. LSU has a joke of a HC (I know he beat us twice,  but we had what turned out to be a bad joke ourselves). And I'm highly,  highly skeptical of Jimbo. Like, I'd be losing serious sleep if I were an Aggie fan.

hawgon

Quote from: tusked on February 14, 2018, 06:20:06 pm

Atlanta.

If you look at the number of NFL players put out from the Texarkana area alone, we should have an assistant practically living there.

parallaxpig

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on February 14, 2018, 06:31:02 pm
Good news.

The key to success at Arkansas has been and always will be recruiting well in Texas.

yes it is...........
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

RockyMtnHog

All this while we are show dogging at WMS.
[//quote]

We should have moved our Spring Game to Jerry's Place and invited all of the recruits in the DFW area to the game.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

Con el Cerdos

Queen City, Texas, just a little south of Texarkana. 

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: hawgon on February 14, 2018, 02:11:03 pm

Love it just hammer down good times are ahead! Woo Pig!

supersaint

Former Hog coach Jim Washburn on recruiting east TX.

Washburn said it's the fertile recruiting grounds along U.S. 59 from Texarkana to Houston that ought to be the first target for Arkansas coaches outside of the state.
"Just put every one of your coaches on that highway, 30 miles on either side of it,"

Washburn said. "You hit that hard, I think you can win a national championship with that talent. It's amazing."
Washburn signed several dozen from that area. He will never forget the commitment of three from that area in January of 1996 – while they were on a recruiting trip to Texas A&M.
"Kenoy Kennedy, Randy Garner and Bryan Smith were all picked up on the same jet for a trip to A&M," Washburn said. "My office phone rang that Saturday afternoon. It was Kenoy. He said he had some news for me. I figured this was going to be bad news."
It wasn't. All three had decided on the plane ride to A&M that they really didn't want to make the trip because they were going to be Razorbacks.
"One of the A&M coaches had left them in his office for a few minutes, so they called me," Washburn said. "I'll never forget it. Bryan Smith didn't stay at Arkansas, but Kenoy and Randy were both great players.
"I still say that Kenoy had the single best high school video I'd ever seen. He hit this guy on the dead run and his helmet popped off and went backward 15 yards. I can still see it. Kenoy was a little Steve Atwater, just a great player.
"You can get a whole bunch like him just going up and down U.S. 59. I know it because I did. Just work the relationships there. You'll get them to Arkansas."
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

hogsanity

Quote from: widespreadsooie on February 14, 2018, 06:26:36 pm

Not supposed to talk about defense I guess. Going all the way with just qb's and wr's.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jgphillips3

Quote from: hogsanity on February 14, 2018, 09:12:19 pm
Not supposed to talk about defense I guess. Going all the way with just qb's and wr's.

I wouldn't worry what Hogville focuses on.  It's evident from this class that Morris and Chavis will give equal attention to the defense in recruiting.

ballinhog

Does anyone have a list of some of the more big time programs from East Texas?

hawgon

Quote from: ballinhog on February 14, 2018, 09:29:59 pm

They all have athletes.  My friend started his career as an assistant coach at what was at the time a 3a school in East Texas.  He coached a Doak Walker award winner, four or five NFL players, three or four Major Leaguers, and at least one Olympian.  The athletic talent and speed in East Texas is on another level.

King Kong

Quote from: supersaint on February 14, 2018, 09:06:44 pm
Former Hog coach Jim Washburn on recruiting east TX.

Washburn said it's the fertile recruiting grounds along U.S. 59 from Texarkana to Houston that ought to be the first target for Arkansas coaches outside of the state.
"Just put every one of your coaches on that highway, 30 miles on either side of it,"

Washburn said. "You hit that hard, I think you can win a national championship with that talent. It's amazing."
Washburn signed several dozen from that area. He will never forget the commitment of three from that area in January of 1996 – while they were on a recruiting trip to Texas A&M.
"Kenoy Kennedy, Randy Garner and Bryan Smith were all picked up on the same jet for a trip to A&M," Washburn said. "My office phone rang that Saturday afternoon. It was Kenoy. He said he had some news for me. I figured this was going to be bad news."
It wasn't. All three had decided on the plane ride to A&M that they really didn't want to make the trip because they were going to be Razorbacks.
"One of the A&M coaches had left them in his office for a few minutes, so they called me," Washburn said. "I'll never forget it. Bryan Smith didn't stay at Arkansas, but Kenoy and Randy were both great players.
"I still say that Kenoy had the single best high school video I'd ever seen. He hit this guy on the dead run and his helmet popped off and went backward 15 yards. I can still see it. Kenoy was a little Steve Atwater, just a great player.
"You can get a whole bunch like him just going up and down U.S. 59. I know it because I did. Just work the relationships there. You'll get them to Arkansas."

Heard similar comments for Tommy Tuberville.

Jim was an amazing coach here and in the NFL.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: widespreadsooie on February 14, 2018, 06:26:36 pm

You guys need a meeting..?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

supersaint

Quote from: King Kong on February 14, 2018, 09:58:55 pm
Heard similar comments for Tommy Tuberville.

Jim was an amazing coach here and in the NFL.

Yep.  I'm glad I got to play for him.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

bphi11ips

Kenoy Kennedy and Randy Garner played a little defense. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

go hogues

Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Sooiepride

Quote from: ballinhog on February 14, 2018, 09:29:59 pm

Outside of Houston and Dallas area schools, the schools I hear the most about are Carthage, Tenaha, Gilmer, Mineola, Newton, and in the not too distance past, Daingerfield. These schools are 4A and below.  There's several 5A schools that haven't won State in a while, but still produce some really talented athletes like Lufkin, Tyler, and Longview.  Carthage, in the last 10 or 15 years, has been absolutely phenomenal.
God, Family, Country, Razorbacks.

VBMark

Okay, time to throw some facts down for you about that little highway thing. While we were building four and five lane highways to emptying parts of the state (see 67/167 in NE Arkansas and whatever that road is from PB down to Lake Village), we were ignoring the road (71 / I49) in the West despite it being named the number one economic corridor for America in the late 80s and early 90s. You want to boom recruiting to the Hill from East Texas and add some huge economic growth to the state? Finish I-49.
John L. Smith is so bad that he will laugh himself off the field

Arkansas Fan

SooieGeneris

Sarcasm alert: Yeah maybe that's why of the 17 we signed, 10 play defense. There are 2 QBs and 1 WR. Here's how it broke down by position:

WR:1
TE: 0
OL: 3
RB: 1
QB: 2

DL: 5
LB: 2
CB: 1
S: 2

One of the safeties could play nickel or even CB if need be. Of the 17 signees, 8 are linemen, 3 on offense, 5 on defense.

You are WAY off base.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: go hogues on February 14, 2018, 10:30:11 pm
I hope Traylor isn't Morris' Partridge or Pittman.

I'll bet that Traylor sticks around for a while.  And wouldn't bet against him being the next Razorback HC if Morris does get that call he can't say no to.  He is really good.

And, yeah I know he's never been a coordinator at this level.

Sweet Feet

Yep Queen City. Fred Talley and Decori Birmingham were from the same region as well

King Kong

Quote from: go hogues on February 14, 2018, 10:30:11 pm
I hope Traylor isn't Morris' Partridge or Pittman.

Morris would just hire another HS coach. At SMU hired the Desoto HS Claude Mathis who left after 2 years because of the college demands (Morris replaced him with Traylor).

The below article is a list of some of his other HS coaching friends. Joey McGuire has already moved up and is the TE coach at Baylor.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/22093579

mhuff

The NewEra

Quote from: OLEJACKETFAN on February 14, 2018, 05:19:37 pm
The boy from Marshall was well known about. Wasn't going to SMU & probably too far along in process to LSU for CM to flip. Remember this, Claude Mathis was his HS Coach. He had been on SMU Staff the 2 previous years. But something isn't exactly right between Mathis and Morris.

Do you think any differences between Mathis and Morris will carry over to the Traylor relationship?