Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Big If...

Started by 212hawg, November 07, 2017, 02:26:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

212hawg

...but what if the Hogs win out including a bowl win?

1. Does Long fire Bielema?
2. Should he?
3. What would you want to happen?

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ZERO

It's hard to say. I'd like to at least beat Missouri so we don't finish last in the West, assuming Ole Miss doesn't upset MSU in the Egg Bowl. We have a shot against them, and we're a wild card against LSU (came down to one score in '12 and '13, so you know it's possible), but Mullen straight up owns Bielema. We'll likely lose by 30+ to Mississippi State and I don't see how it could end any other way.

He should be gone regardless, but who knows what's going through Jeff Long's head right now.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

212hawg

I'm not looking for a particular answer, but there's nothing he can do in your eyes? Winning out would mean 8 wins...

Sed76

Has this team showed anything all year that would lead you to believe it can beat LSU, Mississippi State and Missouri followed by a bowl win? 

ZERO

That shouldn't be good enough for a five year best. Consider this:

-That would put him at one win over .500 overall. Even one more loss and it won't be possible to end this year with a winning record as the Arkansas head coach.

-He would own a 14-26 SEC record, with four of those coming from just Ole Miss alone. This is not remotely competitive.

-We've lost too many games we shouldn't have and barely won games we should have blown out. We're not talking about the criticism that LSU had of Miles and Georgia had of Richt, where they perform well but can never win the important game. It's at the point where we go into G5 teams holding our breaths.

No other program that has any illusions of being competitive would stand for any of that. And we're definitely not winning 8 games this year, so we don't have to worry about it.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Sow’sEar

Quote from: 212hawg on November 07, 2017, 02:26:38 pm

2. Should he?
My goodness.  Do you really think our defense is going to stop LSU's running game?  This scenario of yours will be dead by Saturday afternoon. 

212hawg

That's why I titled it "Big If..."

Still, it's not impossible. His whole tenure has been marked by inconsistency.  Would be hilarious if he suddenly won the rest of the games.

I think some people's heads would explode.

ZERO

Quote from: 212hawg on November 07, 2017, 02:48:21 pm
That's why I titled it "Big If..."

Still, it's not impossible. His whole tenure has been marked by inconsistency.  Would be hilarious if he suddenly won the rest of the games.

I think some people's heads would explode.

I guess it'd be nice to keep our Bowl streak alive and not finish last in the West. I'm not going to hope we lose, but I will embrace losses for no reason other than it's going to drive this insufferable plot forward. I feel like we're a team in limbo and we're waiting for something to give.

Ex-Trumpet

Another thread started by a hired gun.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

212hawg

Quote from: ZERO on November 07, 2017, 02:45:22 pm
That shouldn't be good enough for a five year best. Consider this:

-He would own a 14-26 SEC record, with four of those coming from just Ole Miss alone. This is not remotely competitive.

He'd also be 14-18 if you exclude the first year, which most people in their heart admit is fair to do and .500 this year.

212hawg

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Drop the Mike

1. First I would soil myself
2. I would go blow my savings and 401K because the end of the world would be near
3. Eat a few lobsters

ZERO

Quote from: 212hawg on November 07, 2017, 02:50:58 pm
He'd also be 14-18 if you exclude the first year, which most people in their heart admit is fair to do and .500 this year.

Yeah, but I'm not going to do that. And no, I don't admit that's a fair thing to do now that we have a much larger picture to view. A couple of years ago we could believe the situation was bad and our three-time Rose Bowl appearing and B1G winning coach couldn't possibly be THAT incompetent. Well, turns out he is. If Saturday couldn't confirm it for you, then I guess you'll just have to take my word for it.

Drop the Mike

2. Should he?

I believe JL's office number is 212.....

KennyForAD

It depends on how many show up for Miss St and Mizzou games.  If stadium is empty Jeff is gone.  Beat LSU and people show up for those games and we win and go to bowl, we are probably screwed.

DON'T GO TO THOSE GAMES IF YOU CARE ABOUT THE HOGS.

Ex-Trumpet

Just to be clear, you think 14-18 is fair?

KennyForAD

Quote from: Drop the Mike on November 07, 2017, 02:53:45 pm
I believe JL's office number is 212.....

Unreal, isn't it?  212 is actually Hogsanity's no. along with about fifty other fake accounts.

Wildhog

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 07, 2017, 02:55:27 pm

I think he's saying throwing out the first year is fair.

1909/1964/1965/1977

KennyForAD

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 07, 2017, 02:55:27 pm

He thinks whatever Long tells him to think.

KennyForAD

Quote from: Wildhog on November 07, 2017, 02:56:17 pm

Yeah, we all got that.  But this is a new question, isn't it?   Do you think 14-18 is good?

212hawg

Quote from: ZERO on November 07, 2017, 02:52:59 pm
Yeah, but I'm not going to do that. And no, I don't admit that's a fair thing to do now that we have a much larger picture to view. A couple of years ago we could believe the situation was bad and our three-time Rose Bowl appearing and B1G winning coach couldn't possibly be THAT incompetent. Well, turns out he is. If Saturday couldn't confirm it for you, then I guess you'll just have to take my word for it.

Saturday was bad.  No denying that.

I will say though, that you can't have it both ways.  You can't say at one point that year one shouldn't count and that it should now.  If we're giving him that year to rebuild, then you can't quote the overall record when evaluating him.  Now, you are more than welcome to make a case for 14-18 over 4 years not being good enough.

Wildhog

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 07, 2017, 02:57:38 pm
Yeah, we all got that.  But this is a new question, isn't it?   Do you think 14-18 is good?

Are you expecting me to defend Bielema?
1909/1964/1965/1977

ZERO

He was saying that, which is a bizarre thing to say at this point. Other than that, it's ignoring the fact that throwing out an ENTIRE year of nothing but losses still puts him at a losing record, and he would need to go 4-4 and finish middle of the pack next year just to finish .500 over a span of six seasons. There's no honest way to justify those kinds of results.

212hawg

That is exactly what I was saying.  And I'm saying that people are more than capable of coming to the same conclusions about him considering the 14-18 record. 

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: 212hawg on November 07, 2017, 02:58:18 pm

I will say though, that you can't have it both ways.  You can't say at one point that year one shouldn't count and that it should now.  If we're giving him that year to rebuild, then you can't quote the overall record when evaluating him.  Now, you are more than welcome to make a case for 14-18 over 4 years not being good enough.

How about if we throw out the worst year we also throw out the best year?  Is that fair?

What if next year's coach (assuming it isn't CBB) comes in and wins 10 games...will you credit that to CBB or are you willing to throw that out, too?

Wildhog

Quote from: 212hawg on November 07, 2017, 03:00:09 pm
That is exactly what I was saying.  And I'm saying that people are more than capable of coming to the same conclusions about him considering the 14-18 record. 

Yeah, throwing out that first year doesn't change my opinion of him at all.  As far as Arkansas coaches go... he's historically bad.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ZERO

Quote from: 212hawg on November 07, 2017, 02:58:18 pm

I never thought it "shouldn't count". It was something I - and many others - begrudgingly overlooked and took on the chin while waiting for him to get his system up and running. If things went as planned, that first year was just tuition. Now it's obviously the early signs of a failed investment and an embarrassment he will never get to reconcile with the fans.

It was a record-breaking bad year across the board. It was up to him to make it worth it. We gave him time to do so. He did not. And looking back, we see that it probably shouldn't have been that bad, regardless of what we thought at the time.

212hawg

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 07, 2017, 03:00:50 pm
How about if we throw out the worst year we also throw out the best year?  Is that fair?

That isn't even close to the same thing.  The first year is thrown out because he was changing a system with a bare cupboard.  It is obviously part of his overall record, but I don't think it is fair to include in evaluations of him.

Deep Shoat

1. Does Long fire Bielema? Nope
2. Should he? Nope
3. What would you want to happen? We build on 8 with a bowl win, finish the season with 9 wins, go into next season with some momentum, reconcile who we are and build the OL accordingly, and start attacking on D every play.
All Gas, No Brakes!

KennyForAD

Quote from: Wildhog on November 07, 2017, 02:58:55 pm
Are you expecting me to defend Bielema?

No.  Was just reading the thread and that's how I saw it.  No worries.  The minions have me worked up.  Gotta go do some stuff.  Carry on. 

FIRE JEFF LONG.

DeltaBoy

2. Should he?

Even if we win out I want the BOT to can Long , send Baby Huey packing and get someone who gives a damn about Hog Football.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

KennyForAD

Only on an Arkansas board could there be someone trying to defend the WORST COACH IN HISTORY.     :puke:

elksnort

2. Should he?

1. i do not know.
2. Yes. Anyone that knows anything about football, sports, leadership, or hell, anything, should know that CBB needs to go.
3. Win out and CBB leave for a different gig. (Best scenario).

1highhog

elksnort

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 07, 2017, 03:26:05 pm
Only on an Arkansas board could there be someone trying to defend the WORST COACH IN HISTORY.     :puke:
I would say it's incredible that there actually is someone that can defend CBB's tenure, but then I am reminded that our state is about 49th in everything.

212Hawg, why don't you clearly answer your own questions.  And by your rule, we shouldn't hold John L. Smiths one year record against him.  John L. should never have been let go, therefore, he was totally and unfairly dismissed after just one year that should not have been held against him.

Does that prove Jeff Long is a total jerk for letting John L. go?  And then there is Petrino whose record gets really nice when you throw out his first year as he was changing schemes too.  You Sir or Madam, are a total and complete idiot and I don't offer name calling against a fellow Hogviller ever, until now.

Oh and to be fair, we should never count the first year of any coach we've ever had in any sport.  See how stupid that sounds.

longtimeHogfan

2. Should he?

I have a better chance of winning the Power Ball drawing tomorrow night but I'll play along....

1.  No
2.  Yes
3.  Adios
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

247Hog

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 07, 2017, 03:26:05 pm

Only people that are genuinely defending BB and not trolling are doing so because they benefit by him staying.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: 212hawg on November 07, 2017, 03:17:58 pm
That isn't even close to the same thing.  The first year is thrown out because he was changing a system with a bare cupboard.  It is obviously part of his overall record, but I don't think it is fair to include in evaluations of him.

I think hindsight has proven that the cupboard was not nearly as bare as we were led to believe.

ZERO

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 07, 2017, 04:11:22 pm
I think hindsight has proven that the cupboard was not nearly as bare as we were led to believe.

I was trying to have an actual discussion, but I'm going to assume he's just trolling after that. When more information becomes available and you have more context, it's reasonable to adjust your views on something. We had a lot more talent in '13 and '14 than we knew in '13 and '14. It's easier to see that now. No reason to have gone 3-9. Every passing year only confirms that.

MountieDawg

SEC!

Seebs

I love these questions. We almost lost at home to Coastal Carolina. This is not magic. There is not a shaman casting spells on us making us better in a week.
We will be crushed the next three games because we are poorly coached, poorly planned and poorly executed. Kids may get hurt because of missed assignments and a simple case of bewilderment.

There is a better likelihood of me given birth to Italian speaking goats than the Razorbacks winning the next three games.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Hoginsavga

We are no better in Bret's fifth year than his first year. So forget about the what if's. However if we throw out his first, second, fourth, and fifth years there maybe is something to work with.

HogFoo

Bigger if...  what if...  Bielema wins out..  wins a bowl... fires kurt Anderson, and linebackers coach.. cuz our LBs are probably worse than ever, and of course,  Anderson... we all know that turd needs to be flushed!   But, what if, we won out, and immediately after our game with mizz, Bielema fires these guys, then goes on to win the bowl game.   

DO we still fire him or not? 

For me, ive turned into a Bert guy now.  And i'm sorry, no matter what the case, he needs to be let go.  At this point we have sooo much negative press , coaches will use that next season to totally kill our recruiting.  So, it's like, we have no choice but to fire him.  But,,, what if......  my answer is as stated, fire at all cost!
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Potosihog

10000000 to one odds that we win out.  But if we do 10000000 to one odds he gets fired.

NATEHOGG216

He'd be undefeated if we exclude all of his losses but unfortunately that's not how the works works.
Quote from: 3kgthog on August 27, 2013, 09:15:10 AM
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

AugustaHog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on November 07, 2017, 03:20:08 pm
1. Does Long fire Bielema? Nope
2. Should he? Nope
3. What would you want to happen? We build on 8 with a bowl win, finish the season with 9 wins, go into next season with some momentum, reconcile who we are and build the OL accordingly, and start attacking on D every play.
Can't get to 9.  Currently at 4-5.  Best case is 7-5 and the bowl.  Not happening. 

rzrbaxfan

2. Should he?

1.  No
2.  Yes
3.  I would want to go buy a new winter coat and a boat load of firewood.