Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Questions bothering me

Started by Trystran, November 19, 2016, 01:53:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Trystran

November 19, 2016, 01:53:04 am Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 02:26:30 am by Trystran
I want to throw a few things out there. If we were supposed to be "famous" for our O-line coming into the year... why did we have so little in the cupboard to have to pluck a top-rated defensive talent from the defense? And don't give me the "Pittman and Denver left" excuses. I don't get why our best options on the O-Line included a new juco transfer with "an ankle the size of a softball" for 3 weeks, and someone who is in the first year of playing the position. What have we been doing!?

Also, if my coach told me I was going to play off the ball 8-10 yards all the time on defense, and never have a chance in hell to even get a sniff of the QB... I would look at him like he was bat**** crazy. If that was my job, no matter how much I bleed Razorback red, I would look elsewhere. How can a kid get excited about that? Look at LSU, A&M, Clemson... hell, look what Houston did to Louisville. The good teams take the shackles off and say "Go get'm."

This "gameplan" of bend but don't break and spam prevent doesn't let the kids do what fundamentally makes the game fun for most people on defense. Duwop's hit was the first time I have seen someone from Arkansas bring the wood in years... and it happened on a special teams play, by a kid that doesn't even play defense. That's how rare it is... it took someone not brainwashed into this watered down, "hope he trips" mindset to finally nuke someone.

Sitting back and watching good teams either run over us or pick us apart is the most gruelling, boring football ever, and I can't even begin to imagine how it would feel to be playing it. So, my question, how big of an impact to incoming recruits do you think this has? How much of an impact would it have on you if you were being recruited to play on that side of the ball?

Also, a random vent: the university pulls huge amounts of fans from all over the state to watch games. Tens of thousands travel 200-300+ miles every weekend to the corner of Arkansas to watch football. Why is parking still so horrible? It's a slap in the face to all those fans in my opinion. We can upgrade the stadium and build all these great improvements, but it still takes over an hour to get 3 miles from where the car is parked to the interstate. We've attended 3 games this year after driving from the central part of the state, and each time, regardless of where we parked, it took that long, on top of a 3 hour drive back. It's to the point that my pops, a lifelong Razorback fan at the age of 61 said "I'm not going anymore. It's just not worth the hassle of it all. I can enjoy it a lot more just sitting at home with family, a beer, and some good food than deal with all this bull****." That makes me sad, and as much time and money fans drop to make the effort to come across the state to watch our boys and girls, it's a shameful showing of gratitude.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Trystran on November 19, 2016, 01:53:04 am
I want to throw a few things out there. If we were supposed to be "famous" for our O-line coming into the year... why did we have so little in the cupboard to have to pluck a top-rated defensive talent from the defense? And don't give me the "Pittman and Denver left" excuses. I don't get why our best options on the O-Line included a new juco transfer with "an ankle the size of a softball" for 3 weeks, and someone who is in the first year of playing the position. What have we been doing!?

Also, if my coach told me I was going to play off the ball 8-10 yards all the time on defense, and never have a chance in hell to even get a sniff of the QB... I would look at him like he was bat crazy. If that was my job, no matter how much I bleed Razorback red, I would look elsewhere. How can a kid get excited about that? Look at LSU, A&M, Clemson... hell, look what Houston did to Louisville. The good teams take the shackles off and say "Go get'm."

This "gameplan" of bend but don't break and spam prevent doesn't let the kids do what fundamentally makes the game fun for most people on defense. Duwop's hit was the first time I have seen someone from Arkansas bring the wood in years... and it happened on a special teams play, by a kid that doesn't even play defense. That's how rare it is... it took someone not brainwashed into this watered down, "hope he trips" mindset to finally nuke someone.

Sitting back and watching good teams either run over us or pick us apart is the most gruelling, boring football ever, and I can't even begin to imagine how it would feel to be playing it. So, my question, how big of an impact to incoming recruits do you think this has? How much of an impact would it have on you if you were being recruited to play on that side of the ball?

Also, a random vent: the university pulls huge amounts of fans from all over the state to watch games. Tens of thousands travel 200-300+ miles every weekend to the corner of Arkansas to watch football. Why is parking still so horrible? It's a slap in the face to all those fans in my opinion. We can upgrade the stadium and build all these great improvements, but it still takes over an hour to get 3 miles from where the car is parked to the interstate. We've attended 3 games this year after driving from the central part of the state, and each time, regardless of where we parked, it took that long, on top of a 3 hour drive back. It's to the point that my pops, a lifelong Razorback fan at the age of 61 said "I'm not going anymore. It's just not worth the hassle of it all. I can enjoy it a lot more just sitting at home with family, a beer, and some good food than deal with all this bull****." That makes me sad, and as much time and money fans drop to make the effort to come across the state to watch our boys and girls, it's a shameful showing of gratitude.
1. Recruiting. It was a unique marketing campaign, but lacks results for the same reasons recruiting is a struggle at every other position group.

2. See 1. If they didn't give cushions they would be getting burned over the top and there would be even more complaining than just about the run D.

uncle bubs

Quote from: Trystran on November 19, 2016, 01:53:04 am

Also, if my coach told me I was going to play off the ball 8-10 yards all the time on defense, and never have a chance in hell to even get a sniff of the QB... I would look at him like he was bat**** crazy. If that was my job, no matter how much I bleed Razorback red, I would look elsewhere. How can a kid get excited about that? Look at LSU, A&M, Clemson... hell, look what Houston did to Louisville. The good teams take the shackles off and say "Go get'm."

We park across from Baum, and it literally takes us 15 minutes to get to the interstate after a game. Very easy. It's a long walk to the stadium, or you can hop a shuttle. And parking is free.
God bless the Boston Mountains.

sowmonella

Quote from: uncle bubs on November 19, 2016, 11:45:55 am
We park across from Baum, and it literally takes us 15 minutes to get to the interstate after a game. Very easy. It's a long walk to the stadium, or you can hop a shuttle. And parking is free.

He wants to complain.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

HogBreath

Certainly we're all disappointed with the losses, no surprise or bothersome question there.  I was also encouraged with the wins over TCU, Ole Miss & Florida, it's not all bad news.  Tough schedule.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?