Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where to put your best athletes

Started by hogsanity, November 17, 2016, 09:40:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Interesting conversation on Mike and Mike this morning with Booger McFarland. Now, let me say it was involving the philosophy Alabama has when they get a recruit who is an athlete, but may be a Rb or may be a LB. They have started putting those guys on Defense to help counter all the spread offense. Of course Bama may have that luxury and most teams do not, but it is still a good question - where do you put guys who could play on either side of the ball?

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DiamondHogFan

Where the player is needed the most according to the depth chart.  Bama doesn't have depth issues.  They pick and choose what position a player plays by what is best, not by what is necessitated by the depth chart.  Other teams have to compromise, as you stated.

hogsanity

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on November 17, 2016, 09:49:44 am
Where the player is needed the most according to the depth chart.  Bama doesn't have depth issues.  They pick and choose what position a player plays by what is best, not by what is necessitated by the depth chart.  Other teams have to compromise, as you stated.

I think one reason we are seeing a drought of lb's and db's in Ar HS football is because those coaches are putting all their best athletes on offense.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: hogsanity on November 17, 2016, 09:52:44 am
I think one reason we are seeing a drought of lb's and db's in Ar HS football is because those coaches are putting all their best athletes on offense.
Very few schools in AR have their best athletes only playing on one side of the ball.  But I agree, everything is offense driven.

Piggfoot

That's been happening in high schools everywhere. But..in most small schools they play both ways.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

LZH

East TN HAWG

We put our best athletes at TE?  All 50 of em. 

bennyl08

There's no blanket declaration on the subject to be made. You put the player where they are best able to contribute. Say you have two 6' 200 pound fast athletes. One can hit really hard, but can't consistently catch or have good ball security. You put him at safety. The other is more likely to run out of bounds rather than cut inside and lay the hammer for an extra yard or two, but has hands softer than a feather, put him at WR.

If the player appears to be equally suited for multiple positions, then you have to judge personality and long term commitment. What is the player going to me more enthusiastic about? Which position is he going to work 9-5 at and be done vs working 9-5 and then spending another 5 hours after that? What are the player's ideas about the future? Does he want to go to the NFL? What position will he be best suited for at that level? And so on.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Think DuWop.  Very athletic. Wouldn't make at QB. We have good RBs. Looks like he'd be a great safety. Doesn't seem to want to play there.

EFBAB

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

We put our best players at TE, move the true TE's to DE, Bulk up the true DE's so the can play DT, then start our DT's on the OL. #Uncommon
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Youngsta71701

Yep.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

If we're talking about the skilled positions Give me a good QB, HB, and two good WR's. You can put the rest on defense. I'm a big believer that even if your offense is struggling if you have a good defense you will be in every game.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 17, 2016, 09:57:47 am
That's been happening in high schools everywhere. But..in most small schools they play both ways.
This. I think when your best athletes can play both ways in high school it gives them more exposure and recruiting options. And if they are that good then they should play both ways if it helps the team win.

hogsanity

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 17, 2016, 09:57:47 am

How many sec type players come from "small" high schools? Guess we would have to define what constitutes a small HS.

LZH

When I saw the other thread showing where Alabama had 24 five star players on their roster, I had to look at it twice. Damn. That's nearly 1/4 of their entire lot of scholarships.

Jackrabbit Hog

I agree you put a talented guy where he will help your team the most, but all things being equal (which they seldom are), you put your talented athletes on defense.  It's an old adage but it's very true - if you don't allow points you can never lose, and if you score 50 yourself someone can score 51 and you lose.  Much like good pitching will stop good hitting in baseball, good defense will stop good offense in football.  Been that way since Knute Rockne was coaching 'em up.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on November 17, 2016, 12:14:27 pm
How many sec type players come from "small" high schools? Guess we would have to define what constitutes a small HS.
Any high school in Arkansas. lol

lasthog

Or basketball, even when their best sport would be football.

This is happening particularly in central Arkansas, at least according to some folks.

jkstock04

Quote from: hogsanity on November 17, 2016, 09:40:59 am
Interesting conversation on Mike and Mike this morning with Booger McFarland. Now, let me say it was involving the philosophy Alabama has when they get a recruit who is an athlete, but may be a Rb or may be a LB. They have started putting those guys on Defense to help counter all the spread offense. Of course Bama may have that luxury and most teams do not, but it is still a good question - where do you put guys who could play on either side of the ball?

Defense all the way. Especially if the decision were between RB and LB. I think running backs are a dime a dozen.

Problem is most kids these days probably don't want to play defense and would rather play offense.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Piggfoot

Quote from: hogsanity on November 17, 2016, 12:14:27 pm
In Arkansas probably most except for the highest class and that school was in Texas it would be a small school. We have three from small south Arkansas schools now. Star city Capps, Dumas Gibson, Hope Agim. Probably more.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Hogaholism

I agree you put a talented guy where he will help your team the most, but all things being equal (which they seldom are), you put your talented athletes on defense.  It's an old adage but it's very true - if you don't allow points you can never lose, and if you score 50 yourself someone can score 51 and you lose.  Much like good pitching will stop good hitting in baseball, good defense will stop good offense in football.  Been that way since Knute Rockne was coaching 'em up.

so true...

RaisinHog

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 17, 2016, 06:22:07 pm
In Arkansas probably most except for the highest class and that school was in Texas it would be a small school. We have three from small south Arkansas schools now. Star city Capps, Dumas Gibson, Hope Agim. Probably more.

Ty petway - Nashville. ... Jones kid from smackover

Iwastherein1969

I don't see #3 on the field on defense near enough...he makes one play (shot through A gap like a bullet and took Guice down faster than you can say, "keep Agim in the game") and then we send in the dime unit...which isn't worth a dime! We have a man-child who is a true freshman and our DC is worried about  #3 not executing his assignment by taking on 3 blockers so our senior LB can fill the whole and miss the tackle with one little wiggle move....brilliant, simply brilliant

ad: on the flip side of this thread, where do we put our worst athletes, #50 needs to stand behind the benches and players and mix the orange flavored gatorade, and #50 is feeling really pumped on that particular day, he can wave a towel for more noise from the crowd. Oh wait,we have no more home games, nix that.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Frank Broyles used to like gathering High School QBs on his team to fill out the roster.  Theory being that in those days, the QB was often the best athlete, knew the most about the game and was a fast learner.

And in those days, a player didn't decide where he played, he near always played where the TEAM needed him most.  And it didn't hurt that in those days, most teams had a coach who pretty well knew where the player best fit the system and how to best use the player for the good of the team.  And shucks, back in those days, a coach would actually alter his scheme to fit the players he had onboard.  No kidding, they really did this.

onebadrubi

This is absolutely the issue.  Offense is the flashy trendy thing. Turn it on ESPN right now, Lamar Jackson and Greg ward are flashy but 5-10 years ago they would be wide receivers or DB's and probably dominate at both positions.

This is what Gus has done as well, the Qb he had just a couple years ago was drafted as a DB. 

I think you are seeing dominat safeties put at RB, dominant DE's trying the TE spot. But LB'ers I'm not real sure, their typical body size is not ideal on the offense unless they are truly elite (Derrick Henry type)

onebadrubi

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on November 17, 2016, 12:40:03 pm

Are you giving your best corn dog impersonation of les miles? 

oldhog63

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on November 17, 2016, 11:26:12 am
We put our best players at TE, move the true TE's to DE, Bulk up the true DE's so the can play DT, then start our DT's on the OL. #Uncommon
+1 Haha. Love the sarcasm.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 17, 2016, 07:32:54 pm
Are you giving your best corn dog impersonation of les miles?

Les is a lot more articulate than I am.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

jm

They should always go on defense unless you have guys that are equal or better already.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: lasthog on November 17, 2016, 05:58:04 pm

Or basketball, even when their best sport would be football.

This is happening particularly in central Arkansas, at least according to some folks.
This is happening in South Arkansas as well.