Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BB-----Pros and Cons

Started by Lake City Hog, November 16, 2016, 06:46:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lake City Hog

This is just my take on our Head Coach and is in no way a "Fire the coach" thread.

Pros
High Character guy
Recruits high character players
Very little player issues
Has a definite game plan for the program
I think that he has proven to be more flexible than some of us thought(offensively)
Appears to know what it takes to win Bowl games
Good recruiter
Lets his coordinators do their jobs
Interacts well with the fans
Has managed to increase his win total every year

Cons
A bit too married to TOP
A bit to stubborn in some areas
Not really good with roster management
Too slow to react to problems
Terrible at halftime adjustments
Too much of a "players coach" sometimes

Am I way of the mark with you??

Prestworthy

I'd add:

Pros:
-Players are making good grades

Cons:
-Subpar recruiter
-Too married to "his" style of play
-Not "a bit too", but VERY stubborn

daBoar

The defense is flush with seniors and juniors, and they are performing awfully.  After 4 years, that tells me that the kids aren't being coached up.   I'm very concerned that experience is not translating into improved skills and performance.

MuskogeeHogFan

Keep to the topic and don't get personal in your criticism or compliments.
Go Hogs Go!

Hog Solo

Pro:  players seem to like him
Con:  he seems over reliant on assistant coaches for both recruiting and coaching.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Lake City Hog on November 16, 2016, 06:46:03 pm
This is just my take on our Head Coach and is in no way a "Fire the coach" thread.

Pros
High Character guy
Recruits high character players
Very little player issues
Has a definite game plan for the program
I think that he has proven to be more flexible than some of us thought(offensively)
Appears to know what it takes to win Bowl games
Good recruiter
Lets his coordinators do their jobs
Interacts well with the fans
Has managed to increase his win total every year

Cons
A bit too married to TOP
A bit to stubborn in some areas
Not really good with roster management
Too slow to react to problems
Terrible at halftime adjustments
Too much of a "players coach" sometimes

Am I way of the mark with you??

Most coaches are stubborn to an extent. They tend to have a plan or an m.o.

Is the roster management due to numbers in the oline in his early classes?

As big of a disciplinarian as he is how is he too much of a players coach?

Added cons IMO
I think one of his faults is he speaks too frankly in a position that is part politician. It was fine at Wisc when winning.

Talent evaluation in the offseason as far as right player right position and misjudging position units strengths. 

Valued strength over speed too much.

The halftime adjustment/ comeback ability of his teams is something I am not sure about.  I agree his teams struggle to take momentum back if a team gets up on them.  The why is the part I think we could debate. They can punch it out with teams sometimes. Get up and stay up. Is it offense, qb play, bad defense, attitude....?  2013 and 14 I don't really consider as BA was our only qb option and he was often beat to darn. And we lacked WRs.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Seebs

Pros - at Bama
Cons - at Auburn

We are Arkansas and have not been favored in any SEC game this year. Let that sink in.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

IronHog

Pro

Hot wife
Big meals
Entertaining
Program builder
Deep coaching tree
Solid HC overall
Had physical teams till past month

Con

Style of play wrong for Arkansas
Players coach wrong for players they can recruit
Has trouble maximizing available  talent
Not great game day coach
S&C all wrong
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

hogcard1964

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Pros
Seems really down to earth
Cons
Have to wonder if he practices what he preaches sometimes. (Letting players play hurt/ player safety.)
Everything else I could think of has been mentioned.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

King Kong

Pros: despite this ridiculous schedule of playing a Ranked team literally every other week for 4 years and multiple heart breaking loses. He never lost the team.

Flat out amazing

go hogues

Quote from: King Kong on November 16, 2016, 08:39:09 pm
Pros: despite this ridiculous schedule of playing a Ranked team literally every other week for 4 years and multiple heart breaking loses. He never lost the team.

Flat out amazing
True. But every coach in the SEC does that.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

King Kong

Quote from: go hogues on November 16, 2016, 09:15:59 pm

No they don't. Go back and check the numbers.

Hog Solo

Quote from: King Kong on November 16, 2016, 09:17:31 pm
No they don't. Go back and check the numbers.

Could it be we play a ranked team every other week because we are usually the unranked team for most of the year and lose to those same  ranked teams, which in turn keeps them ranked?

ChicoHog

Quote from: go hogues on November 16, 2016, 09:15:59 pm
You mean SEC West.  Tennessee last 4 conference games are Scarolina, Kentucky, Missouri and Vandy.  That is not exactly murderer's row.  Of course their schedule is front loaded every year. 

King Kong

Quote from: Hog Solo on November 16, 2016, 09:45:52 pm
Could it be we play a ranked team every other week because we are usually the unranked team for most of the year and lose to those same  ranked teams, which in turn keeps them ranked?

That is part of it. The other part of course is we have played Ranked Teams from the East. Which most teams from the West haven't done.

Year one SC and FL. Year 2 UGA and Mizz. This year Fl. (Last year we did play UT which was not ranked at the time but did end up Ranked)

Memhogs

pros-
always seems to have a good RB
cons-
Does not have a winning mentality IMO (compared to Saban, Meyer, Petrino in a way)
Recruiting x1000
Defense is a disaster
Offense isn't good enough to play with our bad defense
Teams have quit in the middle of the game
Runs his mouth and has nothing to show for it
Thats why they make chocolate and Vanilla, some folks like chocolate, and everyone else has bad taste.