Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MSU Depth Chart

Started by Lake City Hog, November 16, 2016, 02:43:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lake City Hog

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/msu-depth.jpg

Why is Josh Harris the back-up to Ellis? Does this mean that he may actually get a few snaps or is this a way to let us know that Ellis is getting no rest?

DiamondHogFan

HawgTrough

Quote from: Lake City Hog on November 16, 2016, 02:43:56 pm

Why is Josh Harris the back-up to Ellis? Does this mean that he may actually get a few snaps or is this a way to let us know that Ellis is getting no rest?

everytime I read the names on that defensive line, I ask myself "how can they possibly be so bad?"
WPS

Me Like Hogs

Why is Austin Allen listed as the backup punter? Are we going to use quick-kicks instead of punts or are we planning on a trick play and letting everyone know about it?

onebadrubi

Quote from: Me Like Hogs on November 16, 2016, 02:53:52 pm
Why is Austin Allen listed as the backup punter? Are we going to use quick-kicks instead of punts or are we planning on a trick play and letting everyone know about it?

lol this stood out to me as well.  Interesting...

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: Me Like Hogs on November 16, 2016, 02:53:52 pm
I think he may be our 2nd best punter actually...

Seriously though, what happened to Blake?

CaddoHog

Quote from: HawgTrough on November 16, 2016, 02:46:09 pm
everytime I read the names on that defensive line, I ask myself "how can they possibly be so bad?"

Yep.  ive done the same, several times.
-    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -

CaddoHog:  the most hated member on Hogville.net
(for the reasons of _______________________ )

Dwight_K_Shrute

November 16, 2016, 04:52:08 pm #7 Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 06:42:29 pm by Dwight_K_Shrute

My theory is coaching.

Let's compare and contrasts both lines and their coaches.

D-Line was supposed to be a source a strength.  It is an area where we supposedly have talent, depth, and experience.  The strength of the D-Line was supposed to help make up for weaknesses in other areas of the defense.

Our D-Line coach had 0 years of FBS position coaching experience before he arrived.  He had some years at Samford then in the NFL then back at Samford.  So not even any G5 experience.

With the talent we have his job should be to maximize that talent and turn it into a true strength.  But nowhere on his resume does it show that he developed high level FBS level players.  Guys he worked with in the NFL were already there, kids he worked with and teams he faced at Samford not even close.

Although the Defense as a whole needs retooling my opinion is the Line is the biggest disappointment because of the potential coming into the season.  We should have a dominant Dline and fact is we do not.

Now look at our O-line, yes it is thin in talent, but when talent is thin it's the coach's job to coach them up and squeeze every bit of effort, technique, etc out of those guys by hook, crook, or whatever.  How much has the O line improved throughout the course of the year.  Look at our O line coach's resume.  4 years of FBS position coaching experience at one of the worst programs in FBS.  No P5 level coaching experience, and a few years at Buffalo, not as the OL coach but as the assistant to the assistant. 

I know some's opinion of Sam Pittman had dimmed when he left, but you replaced a guy with 20 years experience and at several P5 programs, a guy who Bama desperately wanted, and you replace him with a guy with EMU experience.

Auburn needed an OL coach too after 2015, and Gus went out and hired Herb Hand.  Yes they had coached together before so that helped him land the guy but he went after a high level veteran coach and I think you can compare the results AU is getting and the results we are getting and see that coaching experience does indeed matter.

If line play on both sides of the ball is Bielema's bread and butter, if he truly wants to win in the trenches then why did he replace high level guys like Charlie Partridge and Sam Pittman with Segrest and Anderson?  He went cheap and went very inexperienced with the hires and we are seeing the results on the field.

It is crucial for Arkansas to have the best coaches possible/available to maximize talent.  We can debate all day on where our recruiting will or should be.  It will never be top 5, so to make up for that develop what you have.  You do that with coaches with a proven track record of developing talent.  Again maximizing the talent on hand is supposed to be a CBB trademark, just puzzling with these hires.

That's why I've said if Ed O becomes available you throw the bank at him.  Not as DC but where he has experience DL and make him RC as well.  Pay him $750 or more.  Should be able to afford it with the money he saved hiring Samford and erSon.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

onebadrubi

^^^ Can't disagree with that.  Although I think this time around Ed is done with being a position coach.  I think if LSU does not keep him as HC he will go find someone who will give him a chance.  I think the guy is tired of getting passed up.  His name was popular around here before for the Dline position was filled, I wish we would have gotten him then.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on November 16, 2016, 03:13:28 pm
I think he may be our 2nd best punter actually...

Seriously though, what happened to Blake?

With the limited number of players a team can take on road games, we will be taking the chance Baker doesn't get hurt

STLhawg

Is that a NCAA limit or just a school one?

IronHog

Johnson was a solid lineman two years ago.....then they put weight on him moved positions etc.

Too much of that BS going on.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: STLhawgg on November 16, 2016, 07:28:52 pm
Is that a NCAA limit or just a school one?

NCAA limits how many players can travel on a road game

STLhawg

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on November 16, 2016, 09:01:12 pm
NCAA limits how many players can travel on a road game
Thanks...that is what I assumed.  I guess that's another advantage for the home team.

Piggfoot

Quote from: Lake City Hog on November 16, 2016, 02:43:56 pm

He's been the backup for several weeks but has yet to see the field. It's a myth.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

rhames

They did that with Austin last year
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: IronHog on November 16, 2016, 08:48:53 pm

Johnson was a solid lineman two years ago.....then they put weight on him moved positions etc.

Too much of that BS going on.
I went back on some old Wisconsin boards and apparently coach B has a habit of moving LB's to DE and beefing up DE's to move them inside. It almost never worked out either
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 16, 2016, 04:52:08 pm
My theory is coaching.

Let's compare and contrasts both lines and their coaches.

D-Line was supposed to be a source a strength.  It is an area where we supposedly have talent, depth, and experience.  The strength of the D-Line was supposed to help make up for weaknesses in other areas of the defense.

Our D-Line coach had 0 years of FBS position coaching experience before he arrived.  He had some years at Samford then in the NFL then back at Samford.  So not even any G5 experience.

With the talent we have his job should be to maximize that talent and turn it into a true strength.  But nowhere on his resume does it show that he developed high level FBS level players.  Guys he worked with in the NFL were already there, kids he worked with and teams he faced at Samford not even close.

Although the Defense as a whole needs retooling my opinion is the Line is the biggest disappointment because of the potential coming into the season.  We should have a dominant Dline and fact is we do not.

Now look at our O-line, yes it is thin in talent, but when talent is thin it's the coach's job to coach them up and squeeze every bit of effort, technique, etc out of those guys by hook, crook, or whatever.  How much has the O line improved throughout the course of the year.  Look at our O line coach's resume.  4 years of FBS position coaching experience at one of the worst programs in FBS.  No P5 level coaching experience, and a few years at Buffalo, not as the OL coach but as the assistant to the assistant. 

I know some's opinion of Sam Pittman had dimmed when he left, but you replaced a guy with 20 years experience and at several P5 programs, a guy who Bama desperately wanted, and you replace him with a guy with EMU experience.

Auburn needed an OL coach too after 2015, and Gus went out and hired Herb Hand.  Yes they had coached together before so that helped him land the guy but he went after a high level veteran coach and I think you can compare the results AU is getting and the results we are getting and see that coaching experience does indeed matter.

If line play on both sides of the ball is Bielema's bread and butter, if he truly wants to win in the trenches then why did he replace high level guys like Charlie Partridge and Sam Pittman with Segrest and Anderson?  He went cheap and went very inexperienced with the hires and we are seeing the results on the field.

It is crucial for Arkansas to have the best coaches possible/available to maximize talent.  We can debate all day on where our recruiting will or should be.  It will never be top 5, so to make up for that develop what you have.  You do that with coaches with a proven track record of developing talent.  Again maximizing the talent on hand is supposed to be a CBB trademark, just puzzling with these hires.

That's why I've said if Ed O becomes available you throw the bank at him.  Not as DC but where he has experience DL and make him RC as well.  Pay him $750 or more.  Should be able to afford it with the money he saved hiring Samford and erSon.
PLEASE copy and paste this into a new thread. It needs its own attention
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 16, 2016, 11:26:41 pm
He's been the backup for several weeks but has yet to see the field. It's a myth.
Makes you think about the "Brooks Ellis is too slow" conversation and wonder if he's just exhausted. It's a wonder the poor guy hasn't passed out yet

HawgTrough

good stuff DwightKShrute. I think you're spot on
WPS