Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If we lose sat to State what does that tell us about our program

Started by Tweeter, November 16, 2016, 09:09:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwight_K_Shrute

I know what starting threads like this tells us about our fans.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

popcornhog

Quote from: Tweeter on November 16, 2016, 09:09:19 am
NM

That we aren't great against mobile QB's and teams that have decent running games.
But we already knew that.

How on earth do you think one game says much positive or negative about where a program is? Utter poppycock.
WPS

longpig

That on 11/19/2016 State scored more points than we did. 

They're talented and Cousin Eddie knows how to get a team rolling.  Losing to state would be nothing to be embarassed about.
Don't be scared, be smart.

jjdlc

That we are a very flawed team with gaping holes on defense this season

Prestworthy

Quote from: popcornhog on November 16, 2016, 09:39:07 am
That we aren't great against mobile QB's and teams that have decent running games.
But we already knew that.

How on earth do you think one game says much positive or negative about where a program is? Utter poppycock.
Or teams that have decent pass games.  Or teams that have decent special teams. 

One game can say a lot, but 10 games says more.

DiamondHogFan

We lost to a team that was favored on their home field.  A team that we would have beat a month or so ago.  Now they have some confidence and are playing well, when the opposite seems to be true for the Hogs.

I still have faith in this team.  I don't think we lose Saturday, but I don't think it will be easy to win either.

Oklahawg

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

popcornhog

Quote from: Prestworthy on November 16, 2016, 09:46:53 am
Or teams that have decent pass games.  Or teams that have decent special teams. 

One game can say a lot, but 10 games says more.

One game says nothing. 10 in the aggregate, do.

Our pass D isn't horrible, not sure where you're coming from there. Our run D is historically bad. Our QB play has been surprisingly good. Pass protection garbage. Run game pretty good.

These are things we know from 10 games.
WPS

hogcard1964

If we drop either of these last two games, which have been penciled in as wins throughout this season, it will confirm what we've known and suspected about Beilema over the past three years.

For the record, I think a lot of people here are understandably paranoid about these two games when they shouldn't be.  These will not be that close.  These are not good football teams.

thefisher

QuoteIf we lose sat to State what does that tell us about our program

That it's "fan base" likes to set out a good troll line on Hogville.

That's about it.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

Lake City Hog

I think that it says something that a 4-6 team is favored to beat us.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Lake City Hog on November 16, 2016, 10:26:46 am
I think that it says something that a 4-6 team is favored to beat us.

They're not.  Someone had it as a "pick em" and another line had us favored by 1- 1 1/2.

Piggfoot

Quote from: hogcard1964 on November 16, 2016, 09:54:58 am
If we drop either of these last two games, which have been penciled in as wins throughout this season, it will confirm what we've known and suspected about Beilema over the past three years.

For the record, I think a lot of people here are understandably paranoid about these two games when they shouldn't be.  These will not be that close.  These are not good football teams.
What have we known and suspected about Bielema?
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Razorod

I agree with your last two statements.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: hogcard1964 on November 16, 2016, 10:57:02 am
They're not.  Someone had it as a "pick em" and another line had us favored by 1- 1 1/2.
Oh well heck its a gimme......NO they are gonna scrap and cut the head off the run.  It will be close.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

hogcard1964

Biggus Piggus

Losing to Mississippi State would tell me that they're the team that beat Texas A&M and not the team that lost 51-3 to Alabama and 21-20 to South Alabama.

It would tell me that Arkansas is the team that was wiped out by Auburn and LSU, not the team that beat Ole Miss and Florida.

It would tell me that the players and coaches found absolutely no solution to the run-pass-QB problem that has plagued them for so long.

It would tell me that Austin Allen lost his mojo, and the Razorbacks will have a serious QB competition in the spring.
[CENSORED]!

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Torqued pork

It will tell us to set the alarm on the Bielema rebuild clock back another year or two.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Torqued pork on November 16, 2016, 11:53:55 am
It will tell us to set the alarm on the Bielema rebuild clock back another year or two.

Give him at the very least until 2032.   ;D

Torqued pork

Smalltownhog95

That we are still in the hunt to equal last year's win total with a worse team. Hopefully we will be able to improve the Oline and horrible defense next year.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

Prestworthy

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 16, 2016, 11:40:35 am
Losing to Mississippi State would tell me that they're the team that beat Texas A&M and not the team that lost 51-3 to Alabama and 21-20 to South Alabama.

It would tell me that Arkansas is the team that was wiped out by Auburn and LSU, not the team that beat Ole Miss and Florida.

It would tell me that the players and coaches found absolutely no solution to the run-pass-QB problem that has plagued them for so long.

It would tell me that Austin Allen lost his mojo, and the Razorbacks will have a serious QB competition in the spring.
Gotta be careful with that kind of talk around here.  It won't make you any friends.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: hogcard1964 on November 16, 2016, 12:03:52 pm
Give him at the very least until 2032.   ;D

At least by then (assuming I make it that long) I will have a manned Mars launch to look forward to.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Atlhogfan1

Depends on how it happens.

A hard fought loss due to our defense vs the style of the Miss St offense and run/pass qb and I don't see how it is any different than today.  We know this team this season has that issue.  A hard fought loss with an obviously injured AA affecting the outcome again wouldn't tell us anything new. 

A bad loss while playing poorly, then we would need to start talking about more than the problems we have identified. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

BroyledNutts

I'm going to catch hell for this, but as long as there's an Allen on the staff and an Allen at QB, there's no QB competition - spring or otherwise...and unless he's injured to incapacitation, he'll be on the field.

Nothing against Austin either - he's played his rear off for 10 games, doing the best he can with what he has protecting him.

I've quietly been on the run/pass QB train for a millennium, but there is a serious cultural aversion to it in our program - it's like the ghost of Matt Jones just won't go into the frickin light already.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: BroyledNutts on November 16, 2016, 02:17:43 pm
I'm going to catch hell for this, but as long as there's an Allen on the staff and an Allen at QB, there's no QB competition - spring or otherwise...and unless he's injured to incapacitation, he'll be on the field.

Nothing against Austin either - he's played his rear off for 10 games, doing the best he can with what he has protecting him.

I've quietly been on the run/pass QB train for a millennium, but there is a serious cultural aversion to it in our program - it's like the ghost of Matt Jones just won't go into the frickin light already.

Well I'm not sure the depth chart has made for competition.

BA had Mitchell that first preseason.  After that, there was no competition to be had really.

AA has Storey and RT as non RS but from how AA has played, not sure that was a competition.  Especially given our oline issues. 

So I don't think that is fair to place this on nepotism.

Sounds like Kelley is the qb of the future.  Perhaps he could push AA in the offseason.  Maybe our competitors have enough film now to where they know how to defend AA.  It happens to rookie/first year NFL starters the longer they play.  I sure hope to hell the oline experiment with Fro and taking in Raulerson didn't end up in AA becoming gunshy. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HogMantheIntruder

I guess you and I have a different definition of "we".
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

IntegrityHog

Barring a career-ending injury or his death, Austin will be the starter all next year. CBB prefers to play only experiences guys.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: IntegrityHog on November 16, 2016, 03:47:49 pm
Barring a career-ending injury or his death, Austin will be the starter all next year. CBB prefers to play only experiences guys.

True.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

That we have another loss this season, that is all.  It changes nothing else other than lowering the Bowl we might get.

hogcard1964

Quote from: 12247 on November 16, 2016, 04:58:50 pm
That we have another loss this season, that is all.  It changes nothing else other than lowering the Bowl we might get.

+1000

It's a low tier bowl anyway.

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

Sportster365

That we're worst than our SEC media day predictions said we were.

elksnort

Quote from: Prestworthy on November 16, 2016, 01:29:40 pm
Gotta be careful with that kind of talk around here.  It won't make you any friends.
Primarily, because AA's struggles are mostly not his fault. Can you imagine our record without AA?

Our freakin offensive line needs to be able to block Mississippi State. It's that simple.

WilsonHog

It tell me some things about this team, but not necessarily about our program. They are not the same thing.

buldozer

The main thing it will tell us is that the kids are not motivated to play for some reason. And if BB cannot fix that problem he is going to lose the team.

upperdeck_hawg

It tells us that we're in the SEC West and that there are no gimmes especially on the road. It tells us that they have the talent to beat Texas A&M so it shouldn't come as a shock if that same talent could beat us.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis