Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Type of Defense

Started by Youngsta71701, November 15, 2016, 03:39:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

What is Hogville's preferred style of defense?

Bend but don't break
Aggressive in your face
All out blitzing
Read and React
Stop the run no matter what
Other

Youngsta71701

I was having this convo with one of my partners the other day and this question came up about Arkansas Razorback football and just football in general. If you were a player what style of defense would you want to play in?

Just curious...
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

HogFan219

We played a 4-3 with a pretty thick SLB who could also put his hand in the dirt and give us a 5-2 look. The safety would cheat down just a little. I was the NG in that setup, and it was fun. We sucked, but it was fun!

I've always been a believer in the 4-3. However, when playing a team with a QB that is a legitimate threat to run, I like a 4-2-5 with a constant spy on the QB. And I like DB schemes where they punch the WRs in the mouth at the snap instead of playing 7-10 yards off the ball.

King Kong

Whatever the heck we were doing in 2014. And not what's going on in 2016

Youngsta71701

Quote from: HogFan219 on November 15, 2016, 04:00:38 pm
We played a 4-3 with a pretty thick SLB who could also put his hand in the dirt and give us a 5-2 look. The safety would cheat down just a little. I was the NG in that setup, and it was fun. We sucked, but it was fun!

I've always been a believer in the 4-3. However, when playing a team with a QB that is a legitimate threat to run, I like a 4-2-5 with a constant spy on the QB. And I like DB schemes where they punch the WRs in the mouth at the snap instead of playing 7-10 yards off the ball.
And in that 4-2-5 I would bring a safety down to spy the QB if need be (If my MLB was too slow) and the other would play centerfield.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: King Kong on November 15, 2016, 04:03:08 pm
Whatever the heck we were doing in 2014. And not what's going on in 2016
I wish we could go get those 4 back... ;D ...that would definitely help.

hawginbigd1

I am old school, you must stop the run at all costs, some teams that is not warranted, old Houston run and shoot, Texas Tech now probably, but 99% of the time if you stop the run you will be in the game. I am not necessarily talking press man but I am not agin it ;D I like zone just as much because the back end is more able to help against the run than when in man.

ZERO

I believe the technical name for it is "ineffective".
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

3Scoreand10

I would run a defense that fit my personal.  It seems that we are trying to run a system that does not fit the personal.   
If that means we must change/adjust every year, during the year,  than do it.
I learned a long time ago, if it's not working, try something new.

RazorPiggie

Whatever Bama is doing. Problem is we don't have the players that Bama does.

I voted for Aggressive. I just wish we had a couple of DBs and LBs that would come up and lay someone out.

Andrew Hogfan

I want corners jamming wrs so hard at the snap they get knocked into the backfield. I want a blitz coming from somewhere on almost every play. I want a spy on running qbs.  That's about it.  I hate soft coverage,  and I don't much care for the read and react.  I want our D to dictate what the opposing offense is doing.  Aggressive,  aggressive,  aggressive!!!
WPS!!!

Yamahog

The "Whatever Works" defense is one of my faves.....

wildhogman

Quote from: Andrew Hogfan on November 15, 2016, 05:14:19 pm
I want corners jamming wrs so hard at the snap they get knocked into the backfield. I want a blitz coming from somewhere on almost every play. I want a spy on running qbs.  That's about it.  I hate soft coverage,  and I don't much care for the read and react.  I want our D to dictate what the opposing offense is doing.  Aggressive,  aggressive,  aggressive!!!
Not knocking you or your post as I enjoy that type defense as well. However I remember not to long ago we played aggressive and got burnt time and again with the long pass. People griped about that too. So personally I'd like to see us just make every tackle on time and not 20 yards and 5 players later.  I bet money if you cant tackle you cant play defense at Bama no matter your rating or blue chip status.  That should be job 1. Tackle, wrap up and bring them to the ground.  If we don't have a play out of 12 games to make sports center high lights, but never miss and open field tackle again I would be thrilled

Youngsta71701

I like to stop the run no matter what on 1st and 2nd downs. Then if I can get the offense to 3rd and long I like to play aggressive on the receivers with at least one safety help over the top at all times. I would also have either a linebacker or one of the safeties spy the QB if he's a mobile QB. Which if executed correctly should allow my front plenty of time to get to the QB or make the QB have to throw into tight coverage.

1. Stop the run no matter what
2. Aggressive in your face.

Make you earn everything you get. I don't believe any yardage should be free. That one yard or that one inch could be the difference between winning and losing, go for it, punting, or kicking a field goal. Way to may times I've seen Arkansas get an opponent into a 2nd or 3rd and long situation, play soft or go to at 3 man front, then give up a long run or pass then the next thing you know it's 3rd or 4th and 1. Then instead of the opponent punting or kicking a field goal they go for it and pick up the first down. Then most of the time they end up giving up a touchdown. I can't stand that!

al_pigcino

Bring on the blind side blitz. 

I did like the double A gap blitzes we show at times.  Unfortunately almost every time it's a fake. 

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

my3boneheads

November 16, 2016, 09:42:09 am #15 Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 03:27:40 pm by my3boneheads
We may need to incorporate the 8-3 defense that Boise and BYU use to stop the spread offenses so many are using.

onebadrubi

I want gap control, edges set, QB contained, one safety deep, 7-8 in the box.  8 in the box and that 8th being a coverage guy that can spread out and follow motion guys. But none of this matters if your guys are getting man handled at the line allow gaps to be wide open and your LB'ers can't gap control.  It appears on the field that we lack speed when this happens, but if a LB is covering the A gap and a lineman has the next one over, the LB'er is already sacrificing steps that the DLineman should be forcing the RB to shift into the LB'er.  Instead the Dlineman is getting beat allowing big holes for RB like Guice and Fournette to hit full speed.  You give Whaley and Williams those type of holes to hit and they will also make defenses look slow. 

If we own the trenches in whatever D we play, we win games.

I am not a football high IQ guy, but what I do think I know is when you are getting beat with gap control a 5 dlineman package helps with this.  That gives you 6 behind them to cover 5 potential route runners or 4 and a RB.  With our corners this year I would have liked to see this played a little more forcing our corners to cover.  We Dline depth to play with, so maybe this brings up weaknesses elsewhere we couldn't have. 

Youngsta71701

I want my DT's to control everything in the A and B gaps first and foremost then rush the passer when they see it's a pass play. (See Alabama) They do this to perfection. It's not as hard as most people make it out to be. As a matter of fact it should be fundamental. Extend your arms, lock your elbows, and use your hands.

I won't my DE's to set the edge and rush the QB.

I want my OLB's to keep the edge contained and cover the TE's and RB's out of the backfield.

I want my MLB to play downhill and shoot the holes in the middle, be able to run from sideline to sideline, spy the QB if need be, cover the HB out of the backfield if need be, and to just flat out kill the man with the football. (Yes, your MLB is the QB of the defense. He has to be able to do a lot of things.)

I want my corners in the receivers face bugging the hell out of him from the time he gets off the bus. Nothing free, everything earned. By the end of the game he should be frustrated as hell and tired of smelling your breath.

And finally I want my safeties to be able to help in run support when need be, cover a TE or certain WR's when need be, and to be able to play centerfield to help on the deep ball when need be.

That is the making of a good solid defense.

PORKULATOR

Quote from: RazorPiggie on November 15, 2016, 04:53:55 pm
Whatever Bama is doing. Problem is we don't have the players that Bama does.

I voted for Aggressive. I just wish we had a couple of DBs and LBs that would come up and lay someone out.
This ^^^^
And its as much as I've ever meant  "THIS"
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: PORKULATOR on November 17, 2016, 08:16:31 am
This ^^^^
And its as much as I've ever meant  "THIS"
They have the blueprint. We need to follow it as much as we can.

Youngsta71701

Aggressive in your face is looking pretty popular so far.