Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Maybe we're dealing with a big bed and a tiny blanket

Started by Biggus Piggus, November 15, 2016, 03:09:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

In 2015, Arkansas was trying to deal with an unusually poor passing defense. As opponents advanced into the red zone, the Razorbacks played so soft that they gave up an abnormally large number of rushing touchdowns.

In 2016, Arkansas has made considerable progress on pass defense, significantly reducing yards allowed per pass and the frequency of passing touchdowns.

Did those improvements come at the expense of run defense?
[CENSORED]!

jacobp

I'd say yes to an extent. We were dropping 4 and 5 into coverage Saturday night while LSU was pounding then all down our throats.

I was really expecting us to put 9 in the box and make them throw. In retrospect they probably block our 9 and score even more

Youngsta71701

November 15, 2016, 03:27:01 pm #2 Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 03:49:04 pm by Youngsta71701
Quote from: jacobp on November 15, 2016, 03:22:13 pm
I'd say yes to an extent. We were dropping 4 and 5 into coverage Saturday night while LSU was pounding then all down our throats.

I was really expecting us to put 9 in the box and make them throw. In retrospect they probably block our 9 and score even more
I went back and watched the game a minute ago and we had at least 8 in the box on most plays but our corners were still playing 10 yards off the outside receivers giving up easy first downs when they did pass the ball. In turn making their QB look real efficient when he did throw. A lot of times they kept drives going with those little short passes right beyond the sticks. Especially in the first half.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

longpig

November 15, 2016, 03:27:12 pm #3 Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 06:04:39 pm by longpig
I don't remember us moving DBs up last season, seems they just blew their coverage a lot. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

Hogwild

these stats tell it all- per the New Orleans paper

QuoteArkansas' first contact on Fournette on Saturday:

Behind the line of scrimmage: 3 times
At the line: 1 time
1 yard: 2 times
2 yards: 1 time
3 yards or more: 10 times
Arkansas' first contact on Derrius Guice on Saturday:

Behind the line of scrimmage: 5 times
At the line: 2 times
1 yard: 3 times
2 yards: 2 times
3 yards or more: 9 times

On 19 of their combined 38 carries, Fournette and Guice moved 3 or more yards past the line of scrimmage before being contacted by an Arkansas defender. Against Alabama, that number was one time in 19 carries. Guice wasn't contacted until he was 90 yards downfield during his 96-yard run.

Biggus Piggus

The game of football changed, beginning in the 1980s, when the first spread passing offenses debuted. Offenses began to sustain more drives, with fewer three-and-outs.

Despite that trend, you can see clearly what's good and what's bad on this chart. Arkansas has had a handful of bad breakouts on this chart.

1990: Jack Crowe's first season, a then-record 16.9 opponents' offensive plays between punts.
1993: Danny Ford's first season, a talent-depleted roster that also suffered from the departure of Joe Kines.
2008: Bobby Petrino's first season, when some of Nutt's players quit on the job and eventually were kicked off the team.
2013: Bret Bielema's first season, a school-record 17.0 plays allowed per punt. Opponents completed 65% of their passes and ran for 5.5 ypc ex-sacks.
2015: The 64% pass completion allowed led to extremely poor third-down defense.

This year the duration of drives has receded somewhat, and punts per game have increased modestly (just 4.0 in 2013 and 2015, 4.6 this season).

Defensive snaps per game this season -- 62 -- are at the lowest number since 1964. CAN'T. CLAIM. FATIGUE.

Touchdowns allowed by the defense -- 3.6 per game -- are in line with the bad 1990 defense, slightly below the 3.8 per game numbers of the 2012-13 seasons.

This year, only 7 touchdown passes allowed in 10 games, vs. 18 last season. Opponents are finding a much easier path to the end zone.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

My own observation - maybe something is systematically wrong, when you cannot replace underperforming players simply because their backups can't possibly know the scheme -- because you made it too complex for anybody but starters to learn.

I don't believe there's any need to fret about whether changes will be made. That question was answered weeks ago. When you have defensive performances as bad as 2015-16, changes will be made. People were given enough rope to try to fix things, and they're dangling from it.
[CENSORED]!

Sed76

Only game that the pass defense looked good to me was Florida. The middle of the field is still almost always wide open and guys are still playing way back. Is the pass defense really that much improved or is it just that teams aren't throwing it as much against us since they can just run it up the middle so easily?

wildturkey8

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 15, 2016, 03:57:56 pm
My own observation - maybe something is systematically wrong, when you cannot replace underperforming players simply because their backups can't possibly know the scheme -- because you made it too complex for anybody but starters to learn.

I don't believe there's any need to fret about whether changes will be made. That question was answered weeks ago. When you have defensive performances as bad as 2015-16, changes will be made. People were given enough rope to try to fix things, and they're dangling from it.
How much is on the DC and how much is on the HC?  In other words, whose scheme, whose philosophy are they trying to implement with this personnel? 

Danny J

Quote from: Sed76 on November 15, 2016, 04:09:53 pm
Only game that the pass defense looked good to me was Florida. The middle of the field is still almost always wide open and guys are still playing way back. Is the pass defense really that much improved or is it just that teams aren't throwing it as much against us since they can just run it up the middle so easily?
I think it's both...

Youngsta71701

Correction...They can run it anywhere.

onebadrubi

Quote from: longpig on November 15, 2016, 03:27:12 pm
I don't remember us moving DBs up a lot last season, seems they just blew their coverage a lot.

Our DB's were playing with large cushions and we were getting picked apart on inside slants and over the middle bhind the LB'ers in front of the safeties.  This year we have moved the CB's up much closer and playing press coverage and the opposing offenses have ran it down our throats.

We can criticize a safety for missing a tackle on a RB, but in reality a safety should not be having to make the tackle on our RB's.  Someone trustworthy (Ex hog defensive player on twitter or interview) said a few games back we can' create an egde on defense and we have no gap control inside.  This means you get huge holes inside with wipe open second levels as well as no one setting an edge when runs go outside. 

hawginbigd1

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 15, 2016, 04:30:12 pm
Our DB's were playing with large cushions and we were getting picked apart on inside slants and over the middle bhind the LB'ers in front of the safeties.  This year we have moved the CB's up much closer and playing press coverage and the opposing offenses have ran it down our throats.

We can criticize a safety for missing a tackle on a RB, but in reality a safety should not be having to make the tackle on our RB's.  Someone trustworthy (Ex hog defensive player on twitter or interview) said a few games back we can' create an egde on defense and we have no gap control inside.  This means you get huge holes inside with wipe open second levels as well as no one setting an edge when runs go outside.
I know where you are going with this but the good defenses have safety's making run stops all the time. They are just within 3 yards of the LOS where ours tend to be much further down the field when they miss the tackle.
The good defenses have LBs making tackles at the LOS like Scoota Was making in the 4th quarter as well, which is like a unicorn in our defense.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Biggus Piggus

The numbers I gave emphasized per-attempt metrics, which means frequency does not matter. This year's defense is much better on completion %, yards per catch, and passes per TD / passes per INT.

Much better but not great.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Arkansas's defense has allowed 36 touchdowns in 620 snaps, 17.2 plays per TD.

That would be the worst in school history.
[CENSORED]!

Sho Nuff

What drives me nuts is that it's basically the same players from last year on defense.  Has our scheme changed that much?

Biggus Piggus

One more point: Does anyone out there believe this is the toughest schedule Arkansas has ever faced, in terms of our defense vs. opposing offenses?

No?

Thanks.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Sho Nuff on November 15, 2016, 06:59:07 pm
What drives me nuts is that it's basically the same players from last year on defense.  Has our scheme changed that much?

Maybe it did not change enough.
[CENSORED]!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on November 15, 2016, 05:34:44 pm
I know where you are going with this but the good defenses have safety's making run stops all the time. They are just within 3 yards of the LOS where ours tend to be much further down the field when they miss the tackle.
The good defenses have LBs making tackles at the LOS like Scoota Was making in the 4th quarter as well, which is like a unicorn in our defense.
You are absolutely correct. Good defenses attack the ball carrier instead of waiting on them no matter what scheme they run. Don't wait on him go get him. The whole time we're waiting on him he's picking up yards. I see that way to much with our D.

IronHog

LBer focused scheme with no SEC linebackers......

Scouting report on Arkansas is easy.......throw at the big LBer and run at the small one.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 15, 2016, 07:01:04 pm
One more point: Does anyone out there believe this is the toughest schedule Arkansas has ever faced, in terms of our defense vs. opposing offenses?

No?

Thanks.

People on here ranting about "talent" when LSU and Barn have makeshift QBs that aren't dynamic playmakers.

Clemson or Louisville would score 70+

Arthur pigby sellers.

How much better do you guys think we'd be if Dre hadn't gotten hurt?

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

+1
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: IronHog on November 16, 2016, 07:03:36 am
People on here ranting about "talent" when LSU and Barn have makeshift QBs that aren't dynamic playmakers.

Clemson or Louisville would score 70+
LSU is a qb away from being bama's equal. If they had Austin Allen, they'd be in the top 10 right now
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

IronHog

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on November 16, 2016, 07:21:55 am
LSU is a qb away from being bama's equal. If they had Austin Allen, they'd be in the top 10 right now

LSU can amp up and play with Bama one game but they are no where near the same football team.

IronHog

elksnort

Ironhog sometimes makes folks think he is oversimplying, but I think he is correct.
If we had one really good LB, our defense would not look so bad at times..
And, this staff should do pretty much whatever it takes to get one

ifghog

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on November 16, 2016, 07:13:53 am
A little better no doubt but.......considering we have been blown out in the games we lost..it wouldn't have mattered in the win column.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: IronHog on November 16, 2016, 07:26:19 am

LSU can amp up and play with Bama one game but they are no where near the same football team.

Les is gone and Ed O can motivate !
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Al Boarland

So, the revolving door of asst coaches continues...

Youngsta71701

jjdlc

The secondary is improved, they actually turn and look for the ball, and are making plays to break up passes etc, something that almost never happened previously.  Most of the time, they werent even in good position to make a play.  When people are talking about improvement in pass D, that is what they are referring to, overall, our overall Pass D probably isn't hugely improved, but the Secondary looks much better.  We need improved LB play, and our line to get more pressure with the front 4.

code red

The problem is we have no.....I repeat NO....SEC quality LB's....that is not debatable.  The front is fine but we got no help scrapping over the top....none.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on November 16, 2016, 07:13:53 am
This player you talk of.....was running around blocks before he got hurt vs. Bama.  IMHO his technique and all our LB's technique has grossly regressed.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: elksnort on November 16, 2016, 08:00:12 am
Ironhog sometimes makes folks think he is oversimplying, but I think he is correct.
If we had one really good LB, our defense would not look so bad at times..
And, this staff should do pretty much whatever it takes to get one

All the top defenses in the league have two people coaching linebackers, and we have two people coaching the secondary.
[CENSORED]!

bphi11ips

Never been good at reading charts, but I'm sure they are well done. 

One of my high school coaches said it best when I talked to him on Sunday after the Auburn game - we looked like we were playing with 8 men on defense.  Until we can man up at 11 positions, that will continue to be the case. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

IronHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 16, 2016, 12:02:41 pm
All the top defenses in the league have two people coaching linebackers, and we have two people coaching the secondary.

Linebacker is just like QB on offense

It all starts with the line but if you've got great LBers you can outperform.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 16, 2016, 12:12:32 pm
Never been good at reading charts, but I'm sure they are well done. 

One of my high school coaches said it best when I talked to him on Sunday after the Auburn game - we looked like we were playing with 8 men on defense.  Until we can man up at 11 positions, that will continue to be the case. 

The very first one is pretty easy to read. It includes Arkansas's NCAA-standard run defense statistics -- yards allowed per carry -- dating back to 1970, the first year of integrated football.

Arkansas's first season allowing more than 4.5 yards per carry: 2004.

The second one: 2013.

The third: 2016.

Arkansas's first season allowing more than 5 yards per carry: 2016.

Arkansas's first season allowing more than 6 yards per carry: 2016.

Seasons when Arkansas allowed 2+ rushing touchdowns per game:

1972, 1980, 2015, 2016

Seasons when Arkansas allowed 3+ rushing touchdowns per game:

Not quite there, but it's 29 in 10 games so far. Two more regular-season games to play.
[CENSORED]!

DeltaBoy

Smalltownhog95

This chart makes me me want Rob Smith fired even more. Recruiting is an issue but we've seen previous defensive coordinators do more with less than what we have now.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

LZH

You actually do think before you post...I am actually beginning to come around...

hawginbigd1

Quote from: code red on November 16, 2016, 11:53:15 am
The problem is we have no.....I repeat NO....SEC quality LB's....that is not debatable.  The front is fine but we got no help scrapping over the top....none.
I will debate this, we have one for sure and we have another that is light in the shorts, and they are starting to finally play more!

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 16, 2016, 12:40:42 pm
A little reference for these years—

Arkansas's first season allowing more than 4.5 yards per carry: 2004. Matt's last year. A lot of good players left the year before. This was a 5-6 season, but the only lopsided loss was LSU (43-14).

The second one: 2013. Bielema's first year. Remember?...0 for the SEC schedule. And there were some big losses this season, like giving up 52 in back to back weeks.

The third: 2016. Arkansas's first season allowing more than 5 yards per carry: 2016. Arkansas's first season allowing more than 6 yards per carry: 2016.

Seasons when Arkansas allowed 2+ rushing touchdowns per game: 1972, 1980, 2015, 2016

This season is on such an unprecedented scale. Like a team we would field immediately following a tsunami that wiped out Fayetteville. The numbers in this thread put in perspective how truly historic this year is.

In looking at the chart in post #15 (number of plays per TD allowed), as Biggus noted, we're on pace to be the worst ever. It's interesting to see the really good defenses, including Broyles last great team—the '76 Cotton Bowl winner. The best ever—the '77 D that won the Orange Bowl. The early-mid 80s were the Billy Ray Smith years. It appears the best D since that time was the one Nutt inherited in his first year.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Hawghiggs

Pork Twain

It is much easier to scheme on offense and hide deficiencies than it is on defense, but it is still doable with the right coach.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Youngsta71701

November 17, 2016, 07:26:33 am #46 Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 08:37:10 am by Youngsta71701
Quote from: Pork Twain on November 17, 2016, 06:35:25 am
It is much easier to scheme on offense and hide deficiencies than it is on defense, but it is still doable with the right coach.
IDK...The offensive line hasn't been hidden. As a matter a fact our offensive line has been flat out offencive. See what I did there... ;D

DeltaBoy