Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can Robb Smith keep his job?

Started by bigpigpimpin, November 14, 2016, 07:11:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildhog

Quote from: tusked on November 15, 2016, 12:15:55 pm
I'm going to go against the grain and say the defensive staff returns as is.  There might, might be a moving around of the staff and a change in titles but I bet all the same coaches return for next year.

There's staff turnover almost every year.  Just the nature of the business.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Tusks

Quote from: Wildhog on November 15, 2016, 12:16:46 pm
There's staff turnover almost every year.  Just the nature of the business.

It's hard to move to another job when you've just been a part of one of the worst defenses in the last 20 years.

I stick by my opinion.  All the D coaches will be back in some capacity.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Kevin

Quote from: tusked on November 15, 2016, 12:29:36 pm
It's hard to move to another job when you've just been a part of one of the worst defenses in the last 20 years.

if greg schiano gets a head job, maybe
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Wildhog

I just don't think there's any chance of it.  We'll see.
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogcard1964

Unless Smith has incriminating photos of someone, he will not be back.

IntegrityHog

I think I'll leave this one up to CBB - you know, the guy who is paid MILLIONS of dollars to make these decisions. 

Youngsta71701

Can Robb Smith keep his job? In one word...No!
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Wildhog

Quote from: IntegrityHog on November 15, 2016, 12:57:29 pm
I think I'll leave this one up to CBB - you know, the guy who is paid MILLIONS of dollars to make these decisions. 

I don't think anyone is under the delusion that they can fire our defensive coordinator.

Thanks though.
1909/1964/1965/1977

IntegrityHog

Quote from: Wildhog on November 15, 2016, 01:05:53 pm
I don't think anyone is under the delusion that they can fire our defensive coordinator.

Thanks though.

I was just saying that, as fans, we should be supporting the coaches and team, and not offering our inout on staffing decisions.

Wildhog

Quote from: IntegrityHog on November 15, 2016, 01:08:22 pm
I was just saying that, as fans, we should be supporting the coaches and team, and not offering our inout on staffing decisions.

It'd be a lonely message board if fans couldn't express their opinions.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Wildhog on November 15, 2016, 12:06:31 pm
Rory needs to go.  Smith needs to go.

And it's kind of amazing the pass that Hargreaves is getting.
I give Hargreaves a pass because you can tell that he knows what he's talking about in interviews. He knows what changes need to be made and how to go about them. Those other 2 you mentioned are the complete opposite, especially smith. He drones on and on " uh yeah...this guy...that guy....*awkward hand gesture*....theres a process....moving forward...blah blah blah." His press conferences are usually the same nonsense rambling over and over. Kurt Anderson is similar. I've learned to skip his press conferences altogether because he gets so far off subject
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

S.A.D.C

He has to go but I am afraid of what we will be able to get.  Arkansas doesn't exactly have a modern history of fielding great defenses.  This might be the worst DC job in America.  A great coach can create schematic advantages on offense to help work around size or speed deficiencies.  But Arkansas has had perpetual weakness at linebacker and safety.  I know we have had one or two guys that were good: but you need multiple guys on the field at the same time.  When was the last time we did that?  Oh, and to be successful in this conference you have to be able to defend high quality spread teams AND the best pro style teams in the country.  Its a tall order- If you are a DC looking to rebuild your reputation or looking to take the next step up is this job attractive? 

longpig

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on November 15, 2016, 01:16:31 pm
I give Hargreaves a pass because you can tell that he knows what he's talking about in interviews. He knows what changes need to be made and how to go about them. Those other 2 you mentioned are the complete opposite, especially smith. He drones on and on " uh yeah...this guy...that guy....*awkward hand gesture*....theres a process....moving forward...blah blah blah." His press conferences are usually the same nonsense rambling over and over. Kurt Anderson is similar. I've learned to skip his press conferences altogether because he gets so far off subject

Yeh, I watch Smith and Anderson first to get them over with.  Some of the players give better insight.
Don't be scared, be smart.

phadedhawg

Now sure how well CBB survives Robb Smith surviving...

I bet he will want to seek new opportunities...

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on November 14, 2016, 07:50:37 pm
Should be gone before the bowl game, that way we can find a decent replacement without getting in a hurry.

I like that. Tell PR the bowl will be part of his interview process for the DC position.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

The_Bionic_Pig

Keep a eye on the FAU coaching situation, that should tell you all you need to know.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Hawghiggs

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on November 15, 2016, 05:02:11 pm
Keep a eye on the FAU coaching situation, that should tell you all you need to know.

Full agree with this.

PorkSoda

Quote from: ChitownHawg on November 15, 2016, 04:11:05 pm
I like that. Tell PR the bowl will be part of his interview process for the DC position.
I think Pork Rinds is a shoe in if the position opens up.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

reddogjcss

DL & DC need to go! Hire Coach O if he don't get LSU job. Good coach hell of a recruiter

jcbville

I don't see a CRS pregame interview with the select staff

Pig in the Pokey

b/c his son is coo
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

rzrbackramsfan

I dint think so but if Bret thinks so I'll trust his judgement.  It will ultimately be his job on the line. 

hog.goblin

Either Robb Smith is a good coach (see 2014) suffering a bad year (2016) or he is an average coach (see 2015) and who was blessed in 2014 (see Randy Shannon, Trey Flowers, Darius Philon, and Matrell Speight).  I'm beginning to think the latter but will let big bucks Bret make the decision he is paid to make.

Kevin

wonder if they get rid of him after just 3 years
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

longtimeHogfan

Would Charlie come back for the DC job? 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

31to6

Quote from: hog.goblin on November 16, 2016, 09:31:36 am
Either Robb Smith is a good coach (see 2014) suffering a bad year (2016) or he is an average coach (see 2015) and who was blessed in 2014 (see Randy Shannon, Trey Flowers, Darius Philon, and Matrell Speight).  I'm beginning to think the latter but will let big bucks Bret make the decision he is paid to make.
He has been exposed is what has happened.

His defense feasts on bad offenses, but can't defend good ones.

This is because his entire defensive philosophy is based on "playing sound defense, getting pressure with the front 4 and forcing the offense to execute all the way down the field". Unfortunately todays offenses are too good to just sit back and wait for them to make a mistake.

Against todays college offenses, you have to either have a) bigger, faster, stronger athletes across the board or b) an aggressive, disruptive defense that can create big defensive plays    (or both)

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: IntegrityHog on November 15, 2016, 01:08:22 pm

Seriously???  Seriously??? 
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

007 License To Squeal

Absolutely not!!! His defense has failed in almost every aspect......
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

donbro

The defense isn't the only regression taking place. I think there is a bigger issue. CBB made his reputation at the the line of scrimmage, at least offensively. You know you have an internal problem when the quarterback is tougher than the offensive line. This is the second time in 3 games that neither offense defense and special teams showed up. The blame is  placed solely on the coach.

1highhog

So far I have loved our Head Coach and fully support him for as long as he wants to stay here.  BUT, if coaching decisions aren't made on the defensive side of the ball after what we've seen the last two years then my faith will have been tested to the limit.  Robb Smith needs to go as well as our DL coach, our special teams coach as well.  I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel on our OL Coach just yet, he's working with someone else's players, what players?, a previous Coach that supposedly was one of the premier OL Coaches in football but yet it seems the cupboard is mighty empty on talent for our current OL Coach.  I'll give him a pass.

LZH

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on November 17, 2016, 02:19:19 pm
Seriously???  Seriously??? 

I'm inclined to agree with a few others.....he is pulling our chain. Its a gimmick.

Little Lady Back

#NolanRichardsonCourt

JayBell

Even if Arkansas looks great on defense against Mississippi State and Missouri, I see no rationalization for keeping Smith.  You want a coach to get the most of their players, but at the very least you don't want the coach to bring them down.

How many players on the defense do you feel have performed to their potential this season?  Ellis and Pulley?  That about it?

Arkansas isn't loaded with talent on defense, but there is potential there with Sosa, Ledbetter, Wise, Collins, Dean, Ramsey, Eugene, Ramirez, etc. and it feels like they've been wasted by a bad coordinator in a bad scheme.  That's exactly what you fire a coach for, no matter how strong they finish the season.

JayBell

Quote from: tusked on November 15, 2016, 12:29:36 pmIt's hard to move to another job when you've just been a part of one of the worst defenses in the last 20 years.

I think Bielema is too smart to let this happen.  I think his preferred choice is to let Smith and others find a job without having to fire anyone, just like he did with Chaney, but he's never been one to shy away from big decisions.

If members of the defensive staff struggle to find positions like you say, I still don't think Bielema keeps them.  If he does, he's going to face a lot of displeasure from even his most ardent supporters.

You simply can't keep Smith after a season like this.  The thing is, this season has been so bad, it's made people forget how bad he was last year too.  You can't be this bad for this long and keep your job, no matter how much your head coach likes you, because his job is on the line too.

1highhog

Quote from: JayBell on November 18, 2016, 08:38:08 am
I think Bielema is too smart to let this happen.  I think his preferred choice is to let Smith and others find a job without having to fire anyone, just like he did with Chaney, but he's never been one to shy away from big decisions.

If members of the defensive staff struggle to find positions like you say, I still don't think Bielema keeps them.  If he does, he's going to face a lot of displeasure from even his most ardent supporters.

You simply can't keep Smith after a season like this.  The thing is, this season has been so bad, it's made people forget how bad he was last year too.  You can't be this bad for this long and keep your job, no matter how much your head coach likes you, because his job is on the line too.

Exactly.  Just like on one of those shows of his that ESPN had, Being Bret Bielema, he was telling his Mom when he first became Head Coach at Wisconsin that he was going to have to fire Coaches and these coaches he'd made close relationships with not just them but their families as well, being at the time he was not married.  His parents told him that that was just part of life, part of being a boss of any business.  Hopefully CB has learned something from this as well when going after someone like Smith.  He sure didn't seem like and up and comer as far as National sports pundits thought of, and he was not a hired gun that's for sure.  It was like a, who's he?, type of hire.  We don't need that this time.  He needs to make a hire like A/M did with their defense, which was horrible, now it's made a huge turn around with the hiring of John Chavis, but I don't know if the Hogs are prepared to pay $1.6 mil for an assistant coach just yet.

SNORTZENHOGGER

Butch Davis is wanting the DC position... working on that deal right now for next season
Bobby, Fools'ball is from the devil... Everything is the devil to you, Mama! Well, I like HOGVILLE, and I like football! And I'm gonna keep doin' them both because they make me feel good! And by the way, Mama. "HOGVILLE POSTERS" are ornery 'cause of their "Medula Oblongata"!

theFlyingHog

Quote from: SNORTZENHOGGER on November 18, 2016, 03:44:24 pm
Butch Davis is wanting the DC position... working on that deal right now for next season
The same Butch Davis that just took a head coaching gig?

SNORTZENHOGGER

Bobby, Fools'ball is from the devil... Everything is the devil to you, Mama! Well, I like HOGVILLE, and I like football! And I'm gonna keep doin' them both because they make me feel good! And by the way, Mama. "HOGVILLE POSTERS" are ornery 'cause of their "Medula Oblongata"!

Mike Irwin

Quote from: theFlyingHog on November 18, 2016, 03:46:49 pm
The same Butch Davis that just took a head coaching gig?
;D ;D ;D Reading this stuff is great entertainment. Especially all the insider knowledge.

JOKERHOG

His son was really good at FL
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

JOKERHOG

Quote from: SNORTZENHOGGER on November 18, 2016, 03:44:24 pm

are you well?
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

Lard

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams