DC

Started by RazorPiggie, November 14, 2016, 11:09:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Kevin on November 14, 2016, 01:51:20 pm
I think pulley will hit you

Yeah Pulley too. But that's about it.

RazorPiggie

So it seems like everyone either wants Partridge, Rhodes, or Strong.

Kevin

Quote from: RazorPiggie on November 14, 2016, 01:56:17 pm

partridge for line coach, not sure about dc
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

King Kong

There are a lot of other candidates that would be acceptable.

King Kong

Quote from: S.A.D.C on November 14, 2016, 01:46:08 pm
I understand the Charlie Strong love around here since he is from Arkansas.  But if he is available to be DC it will be primarily because his defense at Texas has been terrible.  They gave up 50 points to ND, 50 points to Cal, 49 points to Ok St, and 45 points to Oklahoma.  And that is with 2 solid recruiting classes...  Why do people think it would be different here?

I guess you never watched his defenses at FL or Louisville? Or checked how improved the Texas Defense is since he started taking over play calling? He can coach Defense

I don't think Charlie will come here. He will have other HC chances or may go do a one year stint as a DC at Ohio State with his boy Urban and get another HC gig.

Biggus Piggus

Ed Orgeron is not the great defensive mind at LSU. The fact that he has said numerous times how hard he believes it is to recruit at Arkansas should be taken into account here. Orgeron has been a very good recruiter and recruiting coordinator at times. His specialty as a position coach is the defensive line, beginning with Cortez Kennedy, Russell Maryland, Warren Sapp.

The guy is a nutball but a consistently good Dline coach. Has no business running a football team.

I would not blame a head coach like Charlie Strong for the quality of his defenses. Look at Bret Bielema. He was a very good defensive coordinator. At Arkansas he has delegated that responsibility.

The guy who might come free this season is Derek Mason, who is on the verge of having his third straight losing season at Vanderbilt. When he delegated the DC duties his first season, Vandy gave up 399 points in 12 games. Mason took over DC responsibilities after that, and they've had a very good defense.

Probably a pipe dream to ask for a guy like Mason. He'll probably run back to the Pac 12, or maybe a Big 12 team would be an interesting challenge to him.

Some guys I'd keep an eye on for some opportunities on the Arkansas staff:

Vic Koenning, Troy (former DC at North Carolina, Clemson, Kansas State, Illinois)

Phil Snow, Temple (formerly at Eastern Michigan, Washington, UCLA, Arizona State, and the Detroit Lions)

Jim Leavitt, Colorado (salary is $500K)

Ed Pinkham, Western Michigan (formerly at Rutgers 2008-10)

Robert Prunty, Cincinnati (highly regarded as a recruiter, former head coach of Hargrave Military Academy)

Jeff Koonz, Cincinnati (co-coordinator, worked at Iowa State the year before Paul Rhoads got there)

Jesse Minter, Georgia State (son of Rick Minter)

Phil Bennett, Baylor (former DC at Pitt, SMU, Kansas State, Texas A&M, LSU)
[CENSORED]!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: gchamblee on November 14, 2016, 11:56:04 am
if charlie cant do it with 5 star recruits there, what makes you think he could do it with 3 star recruits here? i think our best option is the guy currently coaching our db's. move him up and give him a raise, let him pick someone to coach the d line and db's and give that a couple of years to see what the results are.
I think Head Coach and DC are two totally different dynamics... ???
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

aloha_kid

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on November 14, 2016, 12:52:18 pm
So Orgeron cant become a DC meanwhile John L Smith is still a head coach lmao (and doing very well this year I might add)

HAHAH 4 - 7 woooo hoooo.  JLS ... Smile ;)

onebadrubi

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on November 14, 2016, 01:10:10 pm
My analogy is spot on. Orgeron who appears to be a great defensive mind and a fantastic recruiter cant get a DC job meanwhile John L Smith who is known as a joke and his fluke of a season is still a head coach. He's actually in the div II playoffs lol.

To reference a guy having no history at a cordinator spot is similar to a guy at a div 2 school who has a previous record as a head coach (besides Arkansas).   Orgeron has never been a DC

onebadrubi

Quote from: longpig on November 14, 2016, 01:04:04 pm
Dave Aranda is about the last guy on the planet that will be an option. 

What's Willy Robinson up to these days?

What put Dave Aranda as such an unrealistic option?  You say that like he's Nick Saban?

1highhog

Quote from: The Boar War on November 14, 2016, 11:47:51 am
On the other hand he gave a former head coach a job as an assistant.  I think we give Rhoads the dc job and fill our secondary and (probably) defensive line positions with little known candidates.

Charlie Strong will be coming from to high profile Coaching gigs, so I doubt he'll ever take a job as a DC now, if he does it will be a one year thing, we need someone more than just a year.

onebadrubi

Those are the low hanging fruit answers, of course.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: longpig on November 14, 2016, 01:04:04 pm
Dave Aranda is about the last guy on the planet that will be an option. 

What's Willy Robinson up to these days?
I assume you think there's a 100% chance the new Head Coach will keep him?

gchamblee

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on November 14, 2016, 01:18:30 pm
I think he'd make a better DC/ associate DC than a HC

or..... he sucks at recruiting, is fat, spends too much time around tv cameras and is aloof. tough to say.

Youngsta71701

1. Charlie Strong
2. Dave Aranda https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Aranda
3. Derek Mason
4. Butch Davis
5. Randy Shannon
6. Paul Rhoads

onebadrubi

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 14, 2016, 03:15:58 pm
1. Charlie Strong
3. Derek Mason
4. Butch Davis
5. Randy Shannon
6. Paul Rhoads

You can scratch Randy Shannon off.  Ain't happening after his departure.  It wasn't snooth

King Kong

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 14, 2016, 03:15:58 pm
1. Charlie Strong
3. Derek Mason
4. Butch Davis
5. Randy Shannon
6. Paul Rhoads

If we are going by how good they are would rank like this.

Davis
Mason
Aranda
Strong
Shannon
Rhoades

But if we are going actual options it would be just Rhoades.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: King Kong on November 14, 2016, 03:39:47 pm
If we are going by how good they are would rank like this.

Davis
Mason
Aranda
Strong
Shannon
Rhoades

But if we are going actual options it would be just Rhoades.
This is just the Youngsta wish list...lol

King Kong

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 14, 2016, 03:50:08 pm
This is just the Youngsta wish list...lol

Well it's an excellent wish list

RedyorNot

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 14, 2016, 02:44:42 pm
Ed Orgeron is not the great defensive mind at LSU. The fact that he has said numerous times how hard he believes it is to recruit at Arkansas should be taken into account here. Orgeron has been a very good recruiter and recruiting coordinator at times. His specialty as a position coach is the defensive line, beginning with Cortez Kennedy, Russell Maryland, Warren Sapp.

The guy is a nutball but a consistently good Dline coach. Has no business running a football team.

I would not blame a head coach like Charlie Strong for the quality of his defenses. Look at Bret Bielema. He was a very good defensive coordinator. At Arkansas he has delegated that responsibility.

The guy who might come free this season is Derek Mason, who is on the verge of having his third straight losing season at Vanderbilt. When he delegated the DC duties his first season, Vandy gave up 399 points in 12 games. Mason took over DC responsibilities after that, and they've had a very good defense.

Probably a pipe dream to ask for a guy like Mason. He'll probably run back to the Pac 12, or maybe a Big 12 team would be an interesting challenge to him.

Some guys I'd keep an eye on for some opportunities on the Arkansas staff:

Vic Koenning, Troy (former DC at North Carolina, Clemson, Kansas State, Illinois)

Phil Snow, Temple (formerly at Eastern Michigan, Washington, UCLA, Arizona State, and the Detroit Lions)

Jim Leavitt, Colorado (salary is $500K)

Ed Pinkham, Western Michigan (formerly at Rutgers 2008-10)

Robert Prunty, Cincinnati (highly regarded as a recruiter, former head coach of Hargrave Military Academy)

Jeff Koonz, Cincinnati (co-coordinator, worked at Iowa State the year before Paul Rhoads got there)

Jesse Minter, Georgia State (son of Rick Minter)

Phil Bennett, Baylor (former DC at Pitt, SMU, Kansas State, Texas A&M, LSU)

Of that list, I like Prunty due to his recruiting reputation in TX (Scout's Midlands Recruiter of the year in 2011 and 2012.

Bennett has solid TX ties as well and will probably be looking after this season if Grobe is replaced.

I get Koenning and Leavitt due to the Bill Snyder coaching tree, but Leavitt was never cleared for choking that player, he and South Florida settled with neither admitting wrongdoing, so I could see Long taking the moral high road.

In the end, as much as CBB preaches continuity, I'd think CPR gets the nod, just my guess though.

007 License To Squeal

1.  Ogeron
2.  Strong
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Calling All Hogs

What is Chizik up to these days?

HiggiePiggy

If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

jgphillips3

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on November 14, 2016, 05:16:13 pm
North Carolina DC.

Considering how good Chizic was at shutting down Auburn's offense, he might be a great choice. 😉

Nosboar Accubond

Y'all... It's Rhoads... Better question is who will coach D line

Nosboar Accubond

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on November 14, 2016, 04:39:34 pm
1.  Ogeron
2.  Strong
Folks... Orgeron has NEVER called plays... He's never been a coordinator.

Promote Rhoads, fire Segrest, hire Coach O, buckle up

sowmonella

Recruiting recruiting recruiting.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on November 14, 2016, 04:49:51 pm
What is Chizik up to these days?

A guy that hates both Alabama and probably Auburn (or at least Malzahn). He's been my pick for a while.
This is my non-signature signature.

jackflash

might should wait to see if their is a opening

longpig

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 14, 2016, 03:08:09 pm
What put Dave Aranda as such an unrealistic option?  You say that like he's Nick Saban?

Why would LSU or Coach Aranda want to part ways?

If anything he'll get a raise and extension.
He's done an excellent job and has an endless supply of talent.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Pancetta

Do most coordinators hite their own staff? If yes then I would say that is why Brett will give it to Rhoads because he won't fire the staff.
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 14, 2016, 06:00:15 pm
Considering how good Chizic was at shutting down Auburn's offense, he might be a great choice. 😉

Bravo

RazorPiggie

Quote from: jackflash on November 14, 2016, 06:46:57 pm
might should wait to see if their is a opening

Just a what if thread.

Coach O may have never been a DC but the way he recruits, he won't need to be a great D schemer to win.  Hootie took over at OM and won 2 Cotton Bowls with Os recruits, then soon after tubbed out with his own recruits.  If Hootie could win anything, you do realize a real coach could have maybe won an NC with those players.  We need LSU to scorn O and then we need to hire him to go get even.

I bet Rob Smith doesn't get a pay increase this coming season and will take that as he needs to go.  So he will move on forcing BB to have to find someone, somewhere to take his place.  I bet Rhoades will get the job if he doesn't go to some smaller school as HC.  Then we will hire some unknown to coach D backs.  We will likely have 2 or 3 other assistants to replace as that seems to be the normal for us.

chenalhog

Quote from: S.A.D.C on November 14, 2016, 01:46:08 pm
I understand the Charlie Strong love around here since he is from Arkansas.  But if he is available to be DC it will be primarily because his defense at Texas has been terrible.  They gave up 50 points to ND, 50 points to Cal, 49 points to Ok St, and 45 points to Oklahoma.  And that is with 2 solid recruiting classes...  Why do people think it would be different here?
charlie will not be coaching next year. He take his $4,000,000 and spend time with family

onebadrubi

Quote from: longpig on November 14, 2016, 07:18:51 pm

New coach most certainly on its way.  No telling honestly, but I don't think he's all but certainly off the market, yet. 

RazorPiggie

Quote from: longpig on November 14, 2016, 07:18:51 pm

LSU may not want to but the new coach will bring in his own guys.

my3boneheads

It won't be Butch Davis. He is the new FIU coach.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: RedyorNot on November 14, 2016, 04:38:17 pm
Of that list, I like Prunty due to his recruiting reputation in TX (Scout's Midlands Recruiter of the year in 2011 and 2012.

Bennett has solid TX ties as well and will probably be looking after this season if Grobe is replaced.

I get Koenning and Leavitt due to the Bill Snyder coaching tree, but Leavitt was never cleared for choking that player, he and South Florida settled with neither admitting wrongdoing, so I could see Long taking the moral high road.

In the end, as much as CBB preaches continuity, I'd think CPR gets the nod, just my guess though.

Yeah, so that leaves questions about the rest of the defensive staff.

One thing that bugs me: On the current staff, both Robb Smith and Paul Rhoads are listed as secondary coaches. Then we have Vernon Hargreaves on linebackers, Rory Segrest on defensive line.

LSU has a Dline coach, an outside LB coach, a DB coach, and a DC/ILB coach.

Alabama has a DL coach, an ILB/DC, an OLB/co-DC, and a DB coach.

Auburn has a DL coach, LB coach, DB/co-DC, and DC who has a lot of input with the LBs.

South Carolina has a DL coach, ILB coach, OLB coach, and DB/DC.

Florida - DL, LB/co-DC, DB, DC with long experience coaching LBs.

Could it be that Arkansas is placing too little emphasis on the linebacker positions?
[CENSORED]!

Pork Twain

This is so much better than my awful poll

Give me Rhodes, Aranda or Chizik
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

colbs

Quote from: 12247 on November 14, 2016, 07:36:11 pm
Coach O may have never been a DC but the way he recruits, he won't need to be a great D schemer to win.  Hootie took over at OM and won 2 Cotton Bowls with Os recruits, then soon after tubbed out with his own recruits.  If Hootie could win anything, you do realize a real coach could have maybe won an NC with those players.  We need LSU to scorn O and then we need to hire him to go get even.

I bet Rob Smith doesn't get a pay increase this coming season and will take that as he needs to go.  So he will move on forcing BB to have to find someone, somewhere to take his place.  I bet Rhoades will get the job if he doesn't go to some smaller school as HC.  Then we will hire some unknown to coach D backs.  We will likely have 2 or 3 other assistants to replace as that seems to be the normal for us.
No matter the talent you need to be a half way decent play caller .  Half of the west or more will still be able to recruit better talent even with Coach O.  I would love to have him as DL coach and maybe give him a title such as Co-DC(but actually doesn't call plays) or Associate HC.  Having him on staff would for sure be a big upgrade.

hogcard1964

Quote from: OrvilleRedenporker on November 14, 2016, 11:12:01 am
Wouldn't Charlie Strong welcome the opportunity to come home for a cool Million? He is most certainly out in burnt orange country.

+1000

This serves two purposes and makes so much sense. 

Kevin

if nc state fires dave doeron, put him as a candidate
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

PorkRinds

Quote from: Kevin on November 15, 2016, 11:21:03 am
if nc state fires dave doeron, put him as a candidate

I'd say the leading candidate behind Rhodes.

downsouthhawg72

I say give it to Paul Rhodes & go after Corey Raymond at LSU.
DownSouthHawg

Kevin

I don't understand all the paul rhoads love for dc

Pork Twain

Quote from: Kevin on November 15, 2016, 12:07:00 pm
I don't understand all the paul rhoads love for dc
I don't love him but he did a pretty good job as a DC from 2000-2008.  I think he was hired with the notion that he might be getting the gig if RS continued to regress.  I believe we hired our new DC before the season started and after the season it will be made official.

What is there to not like about him?

Pittsburgh

In 2000, Rhoads was hired as the defensive coordinator for the Pittsburgh Panthers by Walt Harris. In his first season, Rhoads was credited with improving the team's defense to their best performance since 1980. In 2001, his defensive unit ranked among the nation's top 30 in five different categories at season's end. Additionally, Pitt finished with 38 quarterback sacks. In 2002, the Panthers defense ranked among the nation's top 25 in an impressive seven different categories. In 2004, Pitt ranked ninth nationally with 17 interceptions and Rhoads was kept on staff by new head coach Dave Wannstedt. That decision proved wise as by then end of the 2005 season, Pitt was ranked second nationally in pass defense (yielding just 152.82 yards per game) and sixth in pass efficiency defense with a 99.36 rating. In 2006, Sporting News named Rhoads the Big East's best defensive coordinator. In 2007, Rhoads' defense was among the nation's leaders in various categories, finishing fifth nationally in total defense (allowing just 297.7 yards per games) and third nationally in pass defense (allowing just 167.3 yards per game). While the team finished 5–7, they ended on a high note by holding then-#2 ranked rival West Virginia to a season-low nine points in a 13–9 victory in the Backyard Brawl, limiting the Mountaineers high-powered offense to 183 yards (292 yards below their average).

Auburn

In 2002, coach Tommy Tuberville offered Rhoads a job to fill a vacant spot for defensive coordinator at Auburn.[1] Having completed only his second season at Pitt, Rhoads passed on the job with Tuberville eventually hiring Gene Chizik. However, when Will Muschamp resigned at the conclusion of the 2007 season, coach Tuberville again offered the job with Rhoads accepting to head the 2008 Tigers defense on January 17, 2008. As head of Auburn's defense, Rhoads also coached defensive backs, as did the Tigers' last four defensive coordinators.

While the 2008 Auburn defense started exceptionally (ranking in the top25 nationally in 6 defensive categories after week 6, including the 2nd ranked scoring defense), the Tigers struggled down the stretch finishing 5–7. The highly touted defense fell to an overall defensive ranking of 27th out of 119 Division I FBS squads, but did finish 10th in yards per play and 15th in scoring.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Rhoads
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Hoggish1

Quote from: 1highhog on November 14, 2016, 11:31:54 am
Id sure vote for Charlie Strong, doubt he'd take it, or Bret would offer, CB goes for the little known guys like Robb Smith out of left field.

You mean like Randy Shannon...?

AugustaHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 14, 2016, 02:44:42 pm

This is my over the rainbow prayer hope for a DC hire.  He is a truly elite defensive coach.  His defenses at Vandy have been very good (while he's calling plays as you noted).  If you can build a good D at Vandy, you can certainly build one at Arkansas.  Throw a million bucks and some nice incentives that could push it up to 1.5 mil or so.  That's a ton of cash, but if you go to the SEC title game or the CFP playoff, it pays for itself.  All of this would be predicated on CBB having a good relationship with him.  He gets along with a lot of the other coaches.  If they've hit it off at media obligations or on the recruiting trail, this may be an in for something like this happening.  Doubtful, but he would be the biggest game changer on the board if he is let go at Vandy.