Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

March 29, 2024, 03:28:42 am

DC

Started by RazorPiggie, November 14, 2016, 11:09:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

I love all the above listed hopefuls, my only hope is that we lock in our coaching before all recruiting visit date's are locked in.

2-3 of these candidates are elite recruiter's and would like to take advantage of that if possible. 
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Pork Twain

November 16, 2016, 11:59:04 am #151 Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 12:11:42 pm by Pork Twain
Quote from: onebadrubi on November 16, 2016, 09:15:47 am
Why don't you do a little research on him and see what jumps off the page at you as being the best DC candidate?  Am I knocking the guy, absolutely NOT!  PR came in and fixed something I have been screaming for the last 3 years, make someone pull a 2013 LSU on us and beat us deep, let our corners play up and stop the dink and dunk crap, HE FIXED THAT. 

But, you have this board complaining we need to get the most elite of the elite, this guy's resume is on par with a lot of our other coaches.  My personal beliefs are that they love the fact he was a head coach and might can pull an "enos" when named the DC, and he just might.  But his resume is not what most people are asking for. 

You also can't draw the conclusion that he wants the DC position just because he took the DB coaching job.  He may want to take a step back and only focus on a position for a few years while he is cashing his buyout checks.
His resume is everything we are looking for in a DC.  Hell I would take him just off of his Pitt resume

http://www.pittsburghpanthers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/rhoads_paul00.html
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

onebadrubi

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 16, 2016, 11:59:04 am
His resume is everything we are looking for in a DC.

Please elaborate?  In what way?

Pork Twain

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 16, 2016, 12:03:11 pm
Please elaborate?  In what way?
You know how to do a search, yes?  Look at his bio from his time at Pitt and Auburn.  Unlike many options being proposed, he has a track record of being a top level DC.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

onebadrubi

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 16, 2016, 12:12:57 pm
You know how to do a search, yes?  Look at his bio from his time at Pitt and Auburn.  Unlike many options being proposed, he has a track record of being a top level DC.

Lol I'm not doing this again.  You should read more of this thread. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 16, 2016, 12:18:16 pm

Maybe he did and drew a conclusion you don't like.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

I listed reasons earlier and got no response. How about we flip this you you tell us why you dislike the idea of PR as our DC so much that you've taken it upon yourself to go to battle with each person in favor of PR
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Pork Twain

I read it and I still think he resume is exactly what we are looking for.  What do you dislike about what he has actually done while in the DC position?

onebadrubi

Rhoads resume show us strong running teams run on him, mobile QB's pile up yards, and spread teams beat him.  His lone time in the SEC as a DC he got trucked.  I've laid all this out already and explained how he is not number one on my list. 

How can you use Auburn as a reason why he should be our DC?  Thats similar to saying Paul Haynes should be our next DC.  He had one year experience in the SEC, who cares what actually transpired in that one year because he has a past and was a HC. 

Pork Twain

November 16, 2016, 01:47:18 pm #159 Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 02:01:26 pm by Pork Twain
Quote from: onebadrubi on November 16, 2016, 01:41:02 pm
Rhoads resume show us strong running teams run on him, mobile QB's pile up yards, and spread teams beat him.  His lone time in the SEC as a DC he got trucked.  I've laid all this out already and explained how he is not number one on my list. 

How can you use Auburn as a reason why he should be our DC?  Thats similar to saying Paul Haynes should be our next DC.  He had one year experience in the SEC, who cares what actually transpired in that one year because he has a past and was a HC.
His track record at Pitt was very good.  I am not sure how you are able to see that differently, but you are trying really hard.  Auburn was a very small sample size.

#29 in Total Defense http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2000/Internet/ranking_summary/2000000000545.HTML
#07 in Total Defense http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2001/Internet/ranking_summary/2001000000545.HTML
#12 in Total Defense http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2002/Internet/ranking_summary/2002000000545.HTML
#79 in Total Defense http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2003/Internet/ranking_summary/2003000000545.HTML
#73 in Total Defense http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2004/Internet/ranking_summary/2004000000545.HTML
#31 in Total Defense http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2005/Internet/ranking_summary/2005000000545.HTML
#87 in Total Defense http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2006/Internet/ranking_summary/2006000000545.HTML
#05 in Total Defense http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2007/Internet/ranking_summary/2007000000545.HTML

Who is your choice again?

onebadrubi

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 16, 2016, 01:32:57 pm
I read it and I still think he resume is exactly what we are looking for.  What do you dislike about what he has actually done while in the DC position?

No one, you included, and wiki copy and paste, has told me what is in his resume that we should be ecstatic and "in love" with that makes him a "very successful" DC.

The current Barometer when criticizing the current staff is they can't stop Saban, we haven't been able to stop the run, mobile QB's are killing us, we can't defend against spread teams.  His record at Pitt was against the Big East talent, they were mediocre in bowls, and got trucked by an Urban Meyer team at Utah.  To use his time under Dave W. at pitt, they were at best a .500 team.  It actually appears that once Dave W took over the defense went down. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 16, 2016, 01:47:18 pm
His track record at Pitt was very good.  I am not sure how you are able to see that differently, but you are trying really hard.  Auburn was a very small sample size.

Who is your choice again?

You guys are the ones saying Auburn in defense of him being "very successful".  So because I point out it wasn't that good now you blame the sample size.  Someone could say RS sample size this year is small so we should retain him, but we both know that isn't likely. 

There are 250 candidates plus out there.  To pull a name from a hate is a complete guess.  When the position comes open we will know a lot more about other situations.  Does Aranda come available? Dave doeren? Charlie Strong?  There are literally hundred of possible options at this point.  If you want to know what I want out of our next DC though?  Someone with strong recruiting ties to an area of need, someone that brings pressure, retains Rhoads as a DB's coach and Hargraves as a LB coach at this point, and someone who has a proven track record of adjusting schemes.   

Pork Twain

November 16, 2016, 02:35:31 pm #162 Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 02:51:01 pm by Pork Twain
Quote from: onebadrubi on November 16, 2016, 02:00:40 pm
You guys are the ones saying Auburn in defense of him being "very successful".  So because I point out it wasn't that good now you blame the sample size.  Someone could say RS sample size this year is small so we should retain him, but we both know that isn't likely. 

There are 250 candidates plus out there.  To pull a name from a hate is a complete guess.  When the position comes open we will know a lot more about other situations.  Does Aranda come available? Dave doeren? Charlie Strong?  There are literally hundred of possible options at this point.  If you want to know what I want out of our next DC though?  Someone with strong recruiting ties to an area of need, someone that brings pressure, retains Rhoads as a DB's coach and Hargraves as a LB coach at this point, and someone who has a proven track record of adjusting schemes.   
Again I do not love him, of the guys that are currently possibilities, I like him the most.

He did not do a bad job at Auburn, but one year with a program is not long enough to truly grade a coach.  Has RS been here for one year?

Even on a bad team, that had a hard time keeping the offense on the field and giving the defense a rest, his defense ranked #29 in total defense
http://web1.ncaa.org/football/exec/rankingSummary?year=2008&org=37

2014 Arkansas was #76
2015 Arkansas was #10
2016 Arkansas was #58
2017 Arkansas is #77

Potosihog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 15, 2016, 03:06:31 pm
How's he doing at Missouri St. Serious question. If he's not doing to well maybe we could get em.

Steckel has had tough sledding so far.  Having his starting QB pull a Michael Vick (animal cruelty--suspended from team) didn't help.  If he would have waited one more year he would've had the Mizzou job.

I would love to see him take the Arkansas DC job.  He built a salty defense on the opposite side of the field from a HUNH.  That hardly ever happens.  And he did it in one of the only states in the nation with bigger recruiting obstacles than the Hogs.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 16, 2016, 02:35:31 pm
Again I do not love him, of the guys that are currently possibilities, I like him the most.

He did not do a bad job at Auburn, but one year with a program is not long enough to truly grade a coach.  Has RS been here for one year?

Even on a bad team, that had a hard time keeping the offense on the field and giving the defense a rest, his defense ranked #29 in total defense
http://web1.ncaa.org/football/exec/rankingSummary?year=2008&org=37

2014 Arkansas was #76
2015 Arkansas was #10
2016 Arkansas was #58
2017 Arkansas is #77

There are exactly ZERO current possibilities because the job is not even open yet. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 16, 2016, 03:03:40 pm
There are exactly ZERO current possibilities because the job is not even open yet. 

Sure but when has that ever stopped rampant speculation or perhaps wishful thinking here.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HOGINTENNESSEE

The more I have looked into it Dave Doeren could really be fired f he doesn't make a bowl game at NC State.

Would be a slam dunk hire as DC as he has had some very good defenses. Also very good friends with CBB from Wisconsin and his relationship with Partridge goes back 20 years assuming he is let go as well.

Doeren also has a lot of FL recruiting experience.

Pork Twain

With over 10k posts I had hoped you had figured out this part of message boards by now.  Most of what is said here is thinking out loud in the form of typing. 

Most of us can see that offense is not a problem on this team with the current offensive staff and that in order to get over that hump, we likely need to make a change on the defensive side because as we continue to add depth and talent, the production continues to drop.

Kevin

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on November 16, 2016, 08:25:45 pm
The more I have looked into it Dave Doeren could really be fired f he doesn't make a bowl game at NC State.

Would be a slam dunk hire as DC as he has had some very good defenses. Also very good friends with CBB from Wisconsin and his relationship with Partridge goes back 20 years assuming he is let go as well.

Doeren also has a lot of FL recruiting experience.

his recruiting has been really good at state
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Biggus Piggus

NC State finishes with Miami and North Carolina. They could end up 5-7.
[CENSORED]!

bob slydell

I could be wrong, but I would put money on Robb Smith being our DC next season.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 16, 2016, 11:59:04 am
His resume is everything we are looking for in a DC.  Hell I would take him just off of his Pitt resume

http://www.pittsburghpanthers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/rhoads_paul00.html
the game has changed. what a DC did in the past is almost meaningless. Especially greater than 10 years ago.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 17, 2016, 11:37:19 am
the game has changed. what a DC did in the past is almost meaningless. Especially greater than 10 years ago.

IIRC Rhoads has been coaching football recently, not just greater than 10 years ago.
[CENSORED]!

Pig in the Pokey

yeah, because that's how things work  :-\
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Sed76

Quote from: Bob Slydell on November 17, 2016, 11:21:09 am
I could be wrong, but I would put money on Robb Smith being our DC next season.

Not saying you are wrong, sure hope you are though. Out of curiosity, why would you make that bet? The defense is at a historical low point. If no changes are made that's going to make the natives even more restless. Seems like a change of some kind has to be made.

Pork Twain

What are you even talking about?  He was a DC as recently as 2008 and a HC as recently as last year.  This is not John Gruden or Butch Davis that have been out of the game for years.

King Kong

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 17, 2016, 11:15:53 am
NC State finishes with Miami and North Carolina. They could end up 5-7.

Then that's what I'm rooting for

bob slydell

Quote from: Sed76 on November 17, 2016, 11:44:29 am
Not saying you are wrong, sure hope you are though. Out of curiosity, why would you make that bet? The defense is at a historical low point. If no changes are made that's going to make the natives even more restless. Seems like a change of some kind has to be made.

Because RS has done some really good things here this season not withstanding. Given that we really don't have SEC caliber linebackers on this team, it's hard to be good defensively without dominant, consistent linebacker play. Greenlaw is a safety playing linebacker and he is the best we have. I guess you could put some of that on RS's recruiting, but I'm not sure that would be fair.

Qui Gon Jinn

I'll take Houston's DC.
The expert in anything was once a beginner.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Bob Slydell on November 17, 2016, 02:39:34 pm
Because RS has done some really good things here this season not withstanding. Given that we really don't have SEC caliber linebackers on this team, it's hard to be good defensively without dominant, consistent linebacker play. Greenlaw is a safety playing linebacker and he is the best we have. I guess you could put some of that on RS's recruiting, but I'm not sure that would be fair.
We have had some really good defenses here at Arkansas, agreed? When have we EVER had "SEC Caliber" linebackers?

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Qui Gon Jinn on November 17, 2016, 10:31:01 pm
I'll take Houston's DC.
Lol...I was just about to type this. I'll take him in a heart beat over Robb.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

tchog1956

Quote from: jjdlc on November 14, 2016, 12:08:07 pm
I'm in agreement with Paul Rhoads, he's has put good defenses on the field at schools with less talent.  He has already drastically improved our secondary, even with the injuries we have suffered there.  I would also be all for bringing Partridge back for the D-Line, but don't know if that would happen short of offering him the DC position, if at all.

tchog1956

What are you watching??? They still don't tackle well or play fundamentally sound. 

LZH

Quote from: gchamblee on November 14, 2016, 03:15:51 pm
or..... he sucks at recruiting, is fat, spends too much time around tv cameras and is aloof. tough to say.

Looks like your attitude towards Bielema is finally coming around.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 14, 2016, 01:37:44 pm
Right now according to the NCAA website stats the secondary is the best part of our D.
When teams can run at will why pass?

King Kong

November 18, 2016, 06:48:57 am #185 Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 01:21:31 pm by King Kong
Quote from: theFlyingHog on November 17, 2016, 10:33:35 pm
We have had some really good defenses here at Arkansas, agreed? When have we EVER had "SEC Caliber" linebackers?

We have had some Caleb Miller, Caver, Petty, Bua, Sam, and Spaight

bob slydell

Martrell Spaight was SEC caliber. The past two seasons our best linebacker has been a converted safety. I don't think that compares to what we had in 2014.

Inhogswetrust

November 18, 2016, 07:19:13 am #187 Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 07:31:02 am by Inhogswetrust

No it hasn't. One still has to walk before running and one still has to be able to do fundamentals on the field. War and schemes changed with technology but it is still attack versus defend. Some of ya'll think coaching and paying fotball was invented a couple of years ago. It is STILL primarily about blocking, tackling, running, catching, limiting turnovers and motivation. In other words fundamentals. New schemes (usually based on some form of a previous old scheme) cannot work without those fundamentals, teaching those fundamentals and then executing those fundamentals. The only way to even halfway overcome that is be more talented. I don't remember which coach said it but I believe it was Lou Holtz when asked about a players speed said something along the lines of "gets to the wrong place faster".

Inhogswetrust

November 18, 2016, 07:29:28 am #188 Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 01:05:16 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Al Boarland on November 18, 2016, 05:19:33 am
When teams can run at will why pass?

Agree with that. the secondarily is better under Rhoads you have to say.

slim72315

Dave Doeren would be awesome but doubt that happens

JayBell

It just has to be somebody who is aggressive.  There's not enough talent on this defense to completely avoid giving up big plays, but they should be harassing the hell out of opposing quarterbacks.

With Randy Ramsey on the line of scrimmage, Dwayne Eugene at linebacker, Henre Toliver at nickel back and Santos Ramirez at safety, any decent defensive coordinator could come up with a litany of blitz packages from every level.

All of those players come back next year.  And others like Greenlaw, Harris, Hackett, Liddell, Richardson, etc. will all be a year older.  They don't deserve to be wasted on a passive coordinator like Robb Smith, who has done absolutely nothing to get the best out of his players over the last two seasons.

Trystran

I think Ed O will be off the table. If LSU doesn't lock him in, someone will offer a HC job. He has earned it. I think LSU will give him a shot though. I love the idea of bringing Partridge back if he becomes available. Throw the DL/Co-DC title on him. I could see Rhoads taking the role of DC is some capacity if he plans to stay. Strong could honestly be an option, simply because he will take that money from Texas and possibly have a clause where he can't be a HC to keep cashing in on it for a few years. However, I don't see CBB making that move. I would love to see it though. Give him the Co-DC/AHC titles and roll with it. I figure it will be the SSDD where CBB hires someone out of left field that no one knows and everyone scratches their head. The biggest thing I want to see is someone aggressive who unleashes the defense. Hard for recruits to get excited about playing 8-10 yards off and never even getting a sniff of the QB.

JayBell

Quote from: Trystran on November 18, 2016, 08:38:14 amThe biggest thing I want to see is someone aggressive who unleashes the defense. Hard for recruits to get excited about playing 8-10 yards off and never even getting a sniff of the QB.

This is a big thing I never even thought about for the longest time.  What linebacker would watch Arkansas' defense and want to play for Smith in such a passive system?  Spaight, Ellis and Greenlaw are all from Arkansas.  You're not going to have much luck luring top linebackers to play on a defense like the one they have now.

younghog

You guys do know Butch Davis accepted a New HC job a few days ago..

I think RS will be our DC next year so pull back on the keystrokes..

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

theFlyingHog

Quote from: younghog on November 18, 2016, 12:59:45 pm

GO HOGS
BB knows fans are starting to ask questions. When HC seat gets a little warm you fire coordinators. Hell, when you give up 6+ypc you fire coordinators. If RS is still here next year then he will be on a very short leash

King Kong

Quote from: slim72315 on November 18, 2016, 07:40:51 am
Dave Doeren would be awesome but doubt that happens

If he gets fired from NC State and isn't offered another HC gig. I would be shocked if he wasn't the next DC

bob slydell

Quote from: younghog on November 18, 2016, 12:59:45 pm

GO HOGS

It'll either be Robb Smith or Paul Rhoads but I don't think RS is going anywhere.

King Kong

Quote from: Bob Slydell on November 18, 2016, 01:25:48 pm
It'll either be Robb Smith or Paul Rhoads but I don't think RS is going anywhere.

Based on CBB's stellar track record of retaining Asst?

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Bob Slydell on November 17, 2016, 02:39:34 pm
I sure am glad HV is starting to figure this out, don't forget safety, hard to compete in the SECw when starting Sun Belt players. Been on this island seemingly alone for 2 years plus.

King Kong

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on November 18, 2016, 04:51:12 pm
I sure am glad HV is starting to figure this out, don't forget safety, hard to compete in the SECw when starting Sun Belt players. Been on this island seemingly alone for 2 years plus.

We are starting better players than Sun Belt. Probably more like mid Big 12 caliber