Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 26, 2024, 07:29:01 am

DC

Started by RazorPiggie, November 14, 2016, 11:09:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

King Kong

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

longpig

Quote from: RazorPiggie on November 14, 2016, 09:19:11 pm
LSU may not want to but the new coach will bring in his own guys.

Be just like a corndog to send Aranda packing.  20 and 21 are the most points scored on them this season and average is 13.9.  Tell him to name his price if they do.
Don't be scared, be smart.

King Kong

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 15, 2016, 02:35:52 pm
why bring up old news.

Just pointing out that Strong will be coaching somewhere

Danny J

Quote from: RazorPiggie on November 14, 2016, 01:56:17 pm
So it seems like everyone either wants Partridge, Rhodes, or Strong.
Or butch davis...I will take davis...can coach but can especially recruit which is a must

longpig

Has everyone already forgotten Steckel's defenses @ Mizzou ending in 14?  That guy has an eye for talent and can coach. 

Youngsta71701

Quote from: longpig on November 15, 2016, 02:59:50 pm
Has everyone already forgotten Steckel's defenses @ Mizzou ending in 14?  That guy has an eye for talent and can coach.
How's he doing at Missouri St. Serious question. If he's not doing to well maybe we could get em.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

longpig

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 15, 2016, 03:06:31 pm
How's he doing at Missouri St. Serious question. If he's not doing to well maybe we could get em.

Horrible judging by the win column.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: King Kong on November 15, 2016, 02:46:17 pm
Just pointing out that Strong will be coaching somewhere

Ok got it.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

26.2Hog

Quote from: Danny J on November 15, 2016, 02:52:30 pm
Or butch davis...I will take davis...can coach but can especially recruit which is a must

Butch Davis is the new head coach of the FIU Panthers.

Danny J

Quote from: 26.2Hog on November 15, 2016, 03:34:05 pm
Butch Davis is the new head coach of the FIU Panthers.
I know...we are just speculating anyways...Rhoads will be promoted

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 15, 2016, 03:06:31 pm

Pretty bad. But he's just in his 2nd year. I don't think they would fire him after two year. But he might leave, who knows?

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 14, 2016, 01:37:44 pm
Right now according to the NCAA website stats the secondary is the best part of our D.

Prob because no one has to throw

onebadrubi

Quote from: Kevin on November 15, 2016, 12:07:00 pm
I don't understand all the paul rhoads love for dc

Me either. It's gotten way out of control with no real reasoning.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: lilRockNDubb on November 15, 2016, 05:07:44 pm
Prob because no one has to throw

Those stats are based not on how many times teams throw against a D but how effective they are when they do.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Kevin on November 15, 2016, 12:07:00 pm
I don't understand all the paul rhoads love for dc

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 16, 2016, 07:25:26 am

I'm guessing you guys haven't read his bio. He is known as and has done a really good jobs as a defensive position coach and as a DC. He came in to Fayetteville and immediately noticed a fundamental flaw in what some of our players were doing. Something most fans would not have noticed. I know I didn't. Just do a little research and you might understand why he is being mentioned.

longpig

Quote from: RazorPiggie on November 15, 2016, 04:02:21 pm
Pretty bad. But he's just in his 2nd year. I don't think they would fire him after two year. But he might leave, who knows?

Yeh, expectations aren't very high at Mizz St.  Considering he's nearing 60, may be coasting to retirement there.  Kinda late to be maneuvering for a big HC job, but who knows.

longpig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 16, 2016, 07:44:28 am
I'm guessing you guys haven't read his bio. He is known as and has done a really good jobs as a defensive position coach and as a DC. He came in to Fayetteville and immediately noticed a fundamental flaw in what some of our players were doing. Something most fans would not have noticed. I know I didn't. Just do a little research and you might understand why he is being mentioned.

Could just be me but it appeared he was speaking for the defense as a whole in the last presser, not just his position.  Don't recall him doing that before.  Rob Smith appeared to be less upbeat than usual too.   Won't be a surprise if Rhoads is the interim DC for the bowl.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 16, 2016, 07:25:26 am
Several reasons.
1. Unlike our current DC, you can tell he knows what he's talking about in regards to the defense and how they need to improve as well as how they should best attack the opponent
2. The fact that our secondary was suddenly able to cover when he showed up (especially ryan pulley)
3. He knows football. He may not have had a great record at Iowa State, but he had a dang good team. I remember this goal line stand his team had against texas (mack browns final season) at the end of regulation. Iowa state was ahead and texas was desperately trying to score. They stopped them at the goal line 4 plays in a row. Their guys starting running off the field celebrating as the clock hit zero, but an official threw a flag on some bogus penalty giving texas an extra down. Texas scored and won. Paul Rhoads was pissed in his interview. He said that he talked to his kids and told them it wasn't their faults because the refs took it away from them. He was later fined by the "big 12" for his comments

Part of the goal line stand:

https://youtu.be/aVw75K9C0-8

Paul Rhodes Interview/Rant:

https://youtu.be/9ska5AMWbtw

That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: longpig on November 16, 2016, 07:51:47 am
Could just be me but it appeared he was speaking for the defense as a whole in the last presser, not just his position.  Don't recall him doing that before.  Rob Smith appeared to be less upbeat than usual too.   Won't be a surprise if Rhoads is the interim DC for the bowl.
Im 100% A-OK with things working out like that
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 16, 2016, 07:44:28 am

Why don't you do a little research on him and see what jumps off the page at you as being the best DC candidate?  Am I knocking the guy, absolutely NOT!  PR came in and fixed something I have been screaming for the last 3 years, make someone pull a 2013 LSU on us and beat us deep, let our corners play up and stop the dink and dunk crap, HE FIXED THAT. 

But, you have this board complaining we need to get the most elite of the elite, this guy's resume is on par with a lot of our other coaches.  My personal beliefs are that they love the fact he was a head coach and might can pull an "enos" when named the DC, and he just might.  But his resume is not what most people are asking for. 

You also can't draw the conclusion that he wants the DC position just because he took the DB coaching job.  He may want to take a step back and only focus on a position for a few years while he is cashing his buyout checks. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: longpig on November 16, 2016, 07:51:47 am

The posters I quoted were specifically mentioning " love of Rhodes as DC" and not understanding it and thus why. He has been a very successful DC in the past and IF they had read even a little about him they would have known that. Yes I think RS is a little down right now. I know I would be if that was my Defense playing.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 16, 2016, 09:40:12 am
The posters I quoted were specifically mentioning " love of Rhodes as DC" and not understanding it and thus why. He has been a very successful DC in the past and IF they had read even a little about him they would have known that. but yes I think RS is a little down right now. I know I would be if that was my Defense playing.

You are the one that should do a little more reading before making those type of accusations.  The guy does not have a resume to support what you are saying.  His resume screams good at Pass D, average against SEC competition, all the while being most of his stats are at one school (Pitt).  Rhoads does not have the history to earn the label very successful DC, yet. 

So I ask, in all of your readings, what have you read to label rhoads a "very successful" DC?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 16, 2016, 09:15:47 am
Why don't you do a little research on him and see what jumps off the page at you as being the best DC candidate?  Am I knocking the guy, absolutely NOT!  PR came in and fixed something I have been screaming for the last 3 years, make someone pull a 2013 LSU on us and beat us deep, let our corners play up and stop the dink and dunk crap, HE FIXED THAT. 

But, you have this board complaining we need to get the most elite of the elite, this guy's resume is on par with a lot of our other coaches.  My personal beliefs are that they love the fact he was a head coach and might can pull an "enos" when named the DC, and he just might.  But his resume is not what most people are asking for. 

You also can't draw the conclusion that he wants the DC position just because he took the DB coaching job.  He may want to take a step back and only focus on a position for a few years while he is cashing his buyout checks. 

Geez Marie dude you sure take things and read WAY too much between the lines. I never drew any conclusion about what he might or might not want. I never said he was the best candidate for the job. I hAVE done my research on him I did so when we hired whims a position coach and at that time I thought IF he wanted to he could be a very good DC anywhere. Hoe do I have this board complaining we need to get the elite of the elite. Please show me where I said that. you can't because I haven't. I have though we could get a good Dc and at the time RS was hired I thought he was. As a DC thought PR has a much better Resume than RS has and had when we hired him. PR's Resume as a DC is better than some of the coaches on the staff. IF anyone is asking for a Resume' a lot better than Rhodes then they better wake up and open up their wallet because it will cost big time since his Resume' is pretty damn good as a DC. Also he is now familiar with the team, program and Arkansas and recruiting to it in general so IMHO that could give him a leg up on other candidates with equal Resumes' assuming he would even want the job. Therefore questioning why some on here have "love" for him as a potential DC is understandable yet you and the other poster I quoted question it.

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 16, 2016, 09:46:11 am
You are the one that should do a little more reading before making those type of accusations.  The guy does not have a resume to support what you are saying.  His resume screams good at Pass D, average against SEC competition, all the while being most of his stats are at one school (Pitt).  Rhoads does not have the history to earn the label very successful DC, yet. 

So I ask, in all of your readings, what have you read to label rhoads a "very successful" DC?

I've read his BIO as a position and DC coach and it is pretty damn good. Based on what you wrote it was a logical conclusion you had not read about him and his coaching prior to being a head coach at Iowa State. His Resume' is good enough to be a very viable candidate IMHO and thus supports what I'm saying. There obviously are others out there that could be as well but that doesn't make his Resume as a DC and defensive coach any less appealing.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 16, 2016, 09:52:35 am
Geez Marie dude you sure take things and read WAY too much between the lines. I never drew any conclusion about what he might or might not want. I never said he was the best candidate for the job. I hAVE done my research on him I did so when we hired whims a position coach and at that time I thought IF he wanted to he could be a very good DC anywhere. Hoe do I have this board complaining we need to get the elite of the elite. Please show me where I said that. you can't because I haven't. I have though we could get a good Dc and at the time RS was hired I thought he was. As a DC thought PR has a much better Resume than RS has and had when we hired him. PR's Resume as a DC is better than some of the coaches on the staff. IF anyone is asking for a Resume' a lot better than Rhodes then they better wake up and open up their wallet because it will cost big time since his Resume' is pretty damn good as a DC. Also he is now familiar with the team, program and Arkansas and recruiting to it in general so IMHO that could give him a leg up on other candidates with equal Resumes' assuming he would even want the job. Therefore questioning why some on here have "love" for him as a potential DC is understandable yet you and the other poster I quoted question it.

That is very difficult to read.  But I am still waiting for you to support your comment that Rhoads is a "very successfull" DC.  You made the comment, now support it.  Since I didn't read or anything when I made my comment about not understanding all the "love" for Rhoads as DC.

To your edited 2nd portion:
You were able to come to the "logical conclusion" I have not read on Rhoads by my comments?  Well you are dearly wrong.  I am asking for you to support your claims and you cant.  I am not even knocking the guy one bit!  I have said he may be a good DC, but his name is not in the talks for every open DC position.  Rhoads did some good work at Pitt, went to Auburn for one year where he had a very mediocre season at DC. 

Inhogswetrust

November 16, 2016, 10:08:26 am #125 Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 10:21:12 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: onebadrubi on November 16, 2016, 09:58:39 am
That is very difficult to read.  But I am still waiting for you to support your comment that Rhoads is a "very successfull" DC.  You made the comment, now support it.  Since I didn't read or anything when I made my comment about not understanding all the "love" for Rhoads as DC.

To your edited 2nd portion:
You were able to come to the "logical conclusion" I have not read on Rhoads by my comments?  Well you are dearly wrong.  I am asking for you to support your claims and you cant.  I am not even knocking the guy one bit!  I have said he may be a good DC, but his name is not in the talks for every open DC position.  Rhoads did some good work at Pitt, went to Auburn for one year where he had a very mediocre season at DC. 

ANYONE that needs that support hasn't read his bio or seen his record as a defensive coach or DC. That's all it takes. THAT is my support (yet I also think others are very qualified as well and I don't support any one specific possibility) and there is no need for me to post it here when most are already familiar with it OR they wouldn't have brought his name up to begin with.

But since you asked here is part of it: Bolded parts are by me.

Pittsburgh[edit]
In 2000, Rhoads was hired as the defensive coordinator for the Pittsburgh Panthers by Walt Harris. In his first season, Rhoads was credited with improving the team's defense to their best performance since 1980. In 2001, his defensive unit ranked among the nation's top 30 in five different categories at season's end. Additionally, Pitt finished with 38 quarterback sacks. In 2002, the Panthers defense ranked among the nation's top 25 in an impressive seven different categories. In 2004, Pitt ranked ninth nationally with 17 interceptions and Rhoads was kept on staff by new head coach Dave Wannstedt. That decision proved wise as by then end of the 2005 season, Pitt was ranked second nationally in pass defense (yielding just 152.82 yards per game) and sixth in pass efficiency defense with a 99.36 rating. In 2006, Sporting News named Rhoads the Big East's best defensive coordinator. In 2007, Rhoads' defense was among the nation's leaders in various categories, finishing fifth nationally in total defense (allowing just 297.7 yards per games) and third nationally in pass defense (allowing just 167.3 yards per game). While the team finished 5–7, they ended on a high note by holding then-#2 ranked rival West Virginia to a season-low nine points in a 13–9 victory in the Backyard Brawl, limiting the Mountaineers high-powered offense to 183 yards (292 yards below their average).

Auburn[edit]
In 2002, coach Tommy Tuberville offered Rhoads a job to fill a vacant spot for defensive coordinator at Auburn.[1] Having completed only his second season at Pitt, Rhoads passed on the job with Tuberville eventually hiring Gene Chizik. However, when Will Muschamp resigned at the conclusion of the 2007 season, coach Tuberville again offered the job with Rhoads accepting to head the 2008 Tigers defense on January 17, 2008.[1][2] As head of Auburn's defense, Rhoads also coached defensive backs, as did the Tigers' last four defensive coordinators.[3]

While the 2008 Auburn defense started exceptionally (ranking in the top25 nationally in 6 defensive categories after week 6,[4] including the 2nd ranked scoring defense), the Tigers struggled down the stretch finishing 5–7. The highly touted defense fell to an overall defensive ranking of 27th out of 119 Division I FBS squads, but did finish 10th in yards per play and 15th in scoring.[5]

Now is that better than all the names mentioned no. Is it good enough yes. What do you think the hogs record would be if as at Auburn we had the 27th ranked defense nationally as he had there.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 15, 2016, 02:35:52 pm
why bring up old news.
Old? You do realize it was THIS YEAR, right?
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

yeah, that defense is terrible. just terrible. why would you gamble our program on a guy whose career was built around stopping old school offenses when we face 80% spread teams? when he had to face spread teams, he produced THE WORST DEFENSE IN THE CONFERENCE, despite having the MOST talent. Just think about that. In the meantime, Charlie Strong will never be Arkansas' DC.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 16, 2016, 10:11:21 am
Old? You do realize it was THIS YEAR, right?

Early this year. A lot has happened since then.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 16, 2016, 10:13:22 am
yeah, that defense is terrible. just terrible. why would you gamble our program on a guy whose career was built around stopping old school offenses when we face 80% spread teams? when he had to face spread teams, he produced THE WORST DEFENSE IN THE CONFERENCE, despite having the MOST talent. Just think about that. In the meantime, Charlie Strong will never be Arkansas' DC.

Ask West Virginia if Rhodes can stop a high powered offense...........................That being said I'd be ecstatic if Charlie was a part of the Hog staff but it is CBB that has to make that decision and there has to be the right "fit".

onebadrubi

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 16, 2016, 10:08:26 am
ANYONE that needs that support hasn't seen his bio or record as a defensive coach or DC. That's all it takes. THAT is my support and there is no need for me to post it here when most are already familiar with it OR they wouldn't have brought his name up to begin with.

So you accuse me and Kevin of making comments before knowing something, degrade us by making further comments about IF they read before they spoke, yet you can't support what you are saying. 

Let me give you some numbers... 

46 years
'36-0
412 yards
214 rushing
176 rushing
416 yards
Houston Nutt

You figure out what those mean since you know so much about Rhoads and did so much reading on him

onebadrubi

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 16, 2016, 10:08:26 am
ANYONE that needs that support hasn't read his bio or seen his record as a defensive coach or DC. That's all it takes. THAT is my support (yet I also think others are very qualified as well and I don't support any one specific possibility) and there is no need for me to post it here when most are already familiar with it OR they wouldn't have brought his name up to begin with.

But since you asked here is part of it: Bolded parts are by me.

Pittsburgh[edit]
In 2000, Rhoads was hired as the defensive coordinator for the Pittsburgh Panthers by Walt Harris. In his first season, Rhoads was credited with improving the team's defense to their best performance since 1980. In 2001, his defensive unit ranked among the nation's top 30 in five different categories at season's end. Additionally, Pitt finished with 38 quarterback sacks. In 2002, the Panthers defense ranked among the nation's top 25 in an impressive seven different categories. In 2004, Pitt ranked ninth nationally with 17 interceptions and Rhoads was kept on staff by new head coach Dave Wannstedt. That decision proved wise as by then end of the 2005 season, Pitt was ranked second nationally in pass defense (yielding just 152.82 yards per game) and sixth in pass efficiency defense with a 99.36 rating. In 2006, Sporting News named Rhoads the Big East's best defensive coordinator. In 2007, Rhoads' defense was among the nation's leaders in various categories, finishing fifth nationally in total defense (allowing just 297.7 yards per games) and third nationally in pass defense (allowing just 167.3 yards per game). While the team finished 5–7, they ended on a high note by holding then-#2 ranked rival West Virginia to a season-low nine points in a 13–9 victory in the Backyard Brawl, limiting the Mountaineers high-powered offense to 183 yards (292 yards below their average).

Auburn[edit]
In 2002, coach Tommy Tuberville offered Rhoads a job to fill a vacant spot for defensive coordinator at Auburn.[1] Having completed only his second season at Pitt, Rhoads passed on the job with Tuberville eventually hiring Gene Chizik. However, when Will Muschamp resigned at the conclusion of the 2007 season, coach Tuberville again offered the job with Rhoads accepting to head the 2008 Tigers defense on January 17, 2008.[1][2] As head of Auburn's defense, Rhoads also coached defensive backs, as did the Tigers' last four defensive coordinators.[3]

While the 2008 Auburn defense started exceptionally (ranking in the top25 nationally in 6 defensive categories after week 6,[4] including the 2nd ranked scoring defense), the Tigers struggled down the stretch finishing 5–7. The highly touted defense fell to an overall defensive ranking of 27th out of 119 Division I FBS squads, but did finish 10th in yards per play and 15th in scoring.[5]

Now is that better than all the names mentioned no. Is it good enough yes. What do you think the hogs record would be if as at Auburn we had the 27th ranked defense nationally as he had there.

Nice copy and paste for wikipedia!!!!!  Highly touted means something?  Tennessee was highly touted this year... How did that work out?  You should really go back and read what I've said.  You are missing a lot of what I said and it's meaning.  YOu wanted to attack someone because they didn't agree with you, you can't support what you are saying when attacking someone and have been called out on it.  By the way, Wikipedia is not allowed for a credible source in the real world.  Dig a little deeper, look into each season and it's numbers. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 16, 2016, 10:22:52 am
So you accuse me and Kevin of making comments before knowing something, degrade us by making further comments about IF they read before they spoke, yet you can't support what you are saying. 

Let me give you some numbers... 

46 years
'36-0
412 yards
214 rushing
176 rushing
416 yards
Houston Nutt

You figure out what those mean since you know so much about Rhoads and did so much reading on him

Nobody gives a darn about Nutt but just for fun I'll at least take a guess and say those are some of the numbers nutty's team put up against him when he was at Auburn. I never said I was an "expert" on Rhoads. I did enough reading though to see that he would be a very viable candidate for a DC position at a good program.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 16, 2016, 10:17:29 am
Ask West Virginia if Rhodes can stop a high powered offense...........................That being said I'd be ecstatic if Charlie was a part of the Hog staff but it is CBB that has to make that decision and there has to be the right "fit".

I just asked West Virginia, they said for me to look at the year 2008 when they ran it down his throat...

onebadrubi

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 16, 2016, 10:27:12 am
Nobody gives a darn about Nutt but just for fun I'll at least take a guess and say those are some of the numbers nutty's team put up against him when he was at Auburn. I never said I was an "expert" on Rhoads. I did enough reading though to see that he would be a very viable candidate for a DC position at a good program.

Wrong, none of those numbers are about nutt.  Nutt beat Rhoads though....

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 16, 2016, 10:26:20 am
Nice copy and paste for wikipedia!!!!!  Highly touted means something?  Tennessee was highly touted this year... How did that work out?  You should really go back and read what I've said.  You are missing a lot of what I said and it's meaning.  YOu wanted to attack someone because they didn't agree with you, you can't support what you are saying when attacking someone and have been called out on it.  By the way, Wikipedia is not allowed for a credible source in the real world.  Dig a little deeper, look into each season and it's numbers. 

I've also seen his bio from Iowa State, Arkansas, Auburn and Pitt. Wikipedia happens to be the one most would recognize. He was highly touted enough to want to be hired by Tubberville twice which I guess you don't think is a very good defensive coach either then. He was hired by CBB which most believe in the past was a very good defensive coach. He was retained by Wannstadt which most consider a very good defensive coach. IF their thought on him as a defensive coach aren't good enough for you then there isn't anything anyone will say that will make you believe he is at least a viable candidate if he wants to be and the job opens up.

onebadrubi

46 years is the length of time it had been since Bama had beated Auburn that bad. 

36-0 is the score of the bama game as they destroyed Auburn's D. 

412 yards is how much they put up, with John Parker wilson at QB (the dude that defined game manager). 

234 yards rushing

176 yards rushing is how much Michael smith put up as Bobby Petrino ran it down Auburns throat. 

416 yards is how much BP put against Auburn in 2008 with a bunch of freshmen and Dick. 

See something?  I have never said Rhoads would not be a good Hire, just contradicted having a lot of love for him and questioning why is he the top of everyones list.  Love is a strong word to insinuate passion about something, so yes I question all the "love" for Rhoads as DC because I have read up on him while he was a DC.  I am removing his head coaching years because head coaches often get caught in so much more that you have to remove those from your equation in cordinator status, ala Dan Enos. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 16, 2016, 10:27:51 am
Wrong, none of those numbers are about nutt.  Nutt beat Rhoads though....

As I said just a guess just for fun. Then as you requested I do post your support for those numbers...........................

P.S. I guess you think nutty is a better coach than Saban since he beat him some.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 16, 2016, 10:32:00 am
I've also seen his bio from Iowa State, Arkansas, Auburn and Pitt. Wikipedia happens to be the one most would recognize. He was highly touted enough to want to be hired by Tubberville twice which I guess you don't think is a very good defensive coach either then. He was hired by CBB which most believe in the past was a very good defensive coach. He was retained by Wannstadt which most consider a very good defensive coach. IF their thought on him as a defensive coach aren't good enough for you then there isn't anything anyone will say that will make you believe he is at least a viable candidate if he wants to be and the job opens up.

You are back peddling now.  Me nor Kevin never said he wasn't a "viable" candidate.  Again you made accusations, they were wrong, now just stop. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 16, 2016, 10:33:30 am
As I said just a guess just for fun. Then as you requested I do post your support for those numbers...........................

P.S. I guess you think nutty is a better coach than Saban since he beat him some.

No one in the world is that dumb, well actually some on this forum might try to argue that point. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 16, 2016, 10:32:07 am
46 years is the length of time it had been since Bama had beated Auburn that bad. 

36-0 is the score of the bama game as they destroyed Auburn's D. 

412 yards is how much they put up, with John Parker wilson at QB (the dude that defined game manager). 

234 yards rushing

176 yards rushing is how much Michael smith put up as Bobby Petrino ran it down Auburns throat. 

416 yards is how much BP put against Auburn in 2008 with a bunch of freshmen and Dick. 

See something?  I have never said Rhoads would not be a good Hire, just contradicted having a lot of love for him and questioning why is he the top of everyones list.  Love is a strong word to insinuate passion about something, so yes I question all the "love" for Rhoads as DC because I have read up on him while he was a DC.  I am removing his head coaching years because head coaches often get caught in so much more that you have to remove those from your equation in cordinator status, ala Dan Enos. 

Thanks for the post.
You think those numbers from BAMA and their talent overall and an excellent offensive coach with good running backs and receivers that BP had means he isn't a good DC. Heck Bama has beaten a LOT of good coaches and so has BP. Nothing there puts up a red flag for me.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 15, 2016, 09:49:43 am
Yeah, so that leaves questions about the rest of the defensive staff.

One thing that bugs me: On the current staff, both Robb Smith and Paul Rhoads are listed as secondary coaches. Then we have Vernon Hargreaves on linebackers, Rory Segrest on defensive line.

LSU has a Dline coach, an outside LB coach, a DB coach, and a DC/ILB coach.

Alabama has a DL coach, an ILB/DC, an OLB/co-DC, and a DB coach.

Auburn has a DL coach, LB coach, DB/co-DC, and DC who has a lot of input with the LBs.

South Carolina has a DL coach, ILB coach, OLB coach, and DB/DC.

Florida - DL, LB/co-DC, DB, DC with long experience coaching LBs.

Could it be that Arkansas is placing too little emphasis on the linebacker positions?

Rhoads @ DC, still working with DB's........Partridge @ DL/ asst HC... young gun recruiter @ DB coach, probably with Texas ties...

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 16, 2016, 10:33:34 am
You are back peddling now.  Me nor Kevin never said he wasn't a "viable" candidate.  Again you made accusations, they were wrong, now just stop. 

No backpeddling and you stop since you and him both posted that ya'll didn't "understand the love" for him as DC. I simply followed up as to why some might. I never pack peddled since I never said he was my choice for the job. He would be a viable candidate if he wants it and other would as well. Please show me anywhere in my posts where I said he SHOULD be the DC. I don't believe I have posted that but I wouldn't riot in protest if he was named the DC. So as you like support your supposition that I backpeddled.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 16, 2016, 10:34:29 am
No one in the world is that dumb, well actually some on this forum might try to argue that point. 

We can agree there!

In the spirit of this thread and discussion we are having who do you think are some of the viable or best candidates for the job of Hog DC if it opens up?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 16, 2016, 10:27:13 am
I just asked West Virginia, they said for me to look at the year 2008 when they ran it down his throat...

And all coaches have their team perform great against the same program ever time. Nope. Different teams  = different results sometimes. Funny I mentioned the good one and you mentioned the bad one. Maybe that shows something about how we view things differently overall.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 16, 2016, 10:36:57 am

Thanks for the post.
You think those numbers from BAMA and their talent overall and an excellent offensive coach with good running backs and receivers that BP had means he isn't a good DC. Heck Bama has beaten a LOT of good coaches and so has BP. Nothing there puts up a red flag for me.

They are the Barometer used in every other discussion around here!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 16, 2016, 11:13:19 am
They are the Barometer used in every other discussion around here!

On some things yes, on others no. Pure speculation on my part but I'd bet IF either NS or BB had a DC job open under them and Rhoads showed interest they would consider him.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 16, 2016, 10:46:13 am
We can agree there!

In the spirit of this thread and discussion we are having who do you think are some of the viable or best candidates for the job of Hog DC if it opens up?

We've learned under Bielema viable is not able to be used.  Dude pulls coaches from left field. 

Best Candidates?  I have no idea honestly, depends on who is sticking around and going.  Does siegrest stay?  Does Rhoads leave if he is not the DC?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 16, 2016, 11:16:58 am
We've learned under Bielema viable is not able to be used.  Dude pulls coaches from left field. 

Best Candidates?  I have no idea honestly, depends on who is sticking around and going.  Does siegrest stay?  Does Rhoads leave if he is not the DC?

As a head coach here you are correct in that he has pulled some from left field. That being said I'd guess if the DC job opens up then a discussion with the candidates on the rest of the staff takes place before any announced hire is done. I'm sure any new DC would want a defensive staff he feels comfortable with. We actually lost a DC one time when one of our former well known coaches fired some of the defensive staff unbeknown to the DC. The DC at the time then abruptly resigned. As aDc or OC I think any coach would want input for the staff they have to work with more directly than the head coach does. I used to hire assistant managers. Except for a couple of instances I always was able to hire who I wanted with discussions and approval from higher up's though. It usually bolts down to not only Resume' but philosophy and thus "fit" as well.

lilRockNDubb

Marion Hobby - Clemson