Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Historically Bad Run Defense

Started by WilsonHog, November 13, 2016, 04:19:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

So, Andrew Hutchison has researched CFB run defenses over the past 17 years, a total of 2,058 FBS defenses. Know where our 2016 defense would rank?

2,055. We are allowing teams to gain an average of 6.34 yards every time they run the football.

Only 2015 Eastern Michigan (6.46), 2013 Nevada (6.57), and 2013 New Mexico State (6.86) are worse in terms of yards allowed/carry.

geddie

Brutal truth about our run defense this year.  Would rank 4th worst in all of college football over the past 9 seasons.  IMO, I don't see how half of the defensive staff stays intact this offseason.

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/the-arkansas-rushing-defense-ranks-among-the-worst-in-college-football-over-the-past-9-seasons

hogman99

Dr. Starcs

Hawgphish

wow!  I knew we were bad but that really brings it home.

Dr. Starcs

LZH

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on November 13, 2016, 04:27:40 pm
But I thought bret fixed that.

Work in progress. Just wait to til he starts getting some of his own players in here and we'll be fine.

RazorbackRon

Quote from: geddie on November 13, 2016, 04:22:18 pm
Brutal truth about our run defense this year.  Would rank 4th worst in all of college football over the past 9 seasons.  IMO, I don't see how half of the defensive staff stays intact this offseason.

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/the-arkansas-rushing-defense-ranks-among-the-worst-in-college-football-over-the-past-9-seasons

After the next 2 games, we will probably move up to only 10th worst in all of college football over the past 9 seasons
Everyone is someone else's weirdo

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

LZH

RazorbackRon

Everyone is someone else's weirdo

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

The_Iceman

Maybe Charlie Strong will he available after the season.

regi

Worst run defense in the nation this year.  1st time ever for Arkansas. 9 returning starters. Bret has accomplished his goal, he has given us something, we have never had before.

Hog Pie

hawgmasta

Quote from: RazorbackRon on November 13, 2016, 04:34:08 pm
After the next 2 games, we will probably move up to only 10th worst in all of college football over the past 9 seasons

Bret seems to like to win one more game a year, so keep on churning

ricepig

WilsonHog

Both Mississippi State (#32) and Mizzou (#47) can run the ball a little bit. The Bulldogs are averaging 5.12 yards per rush, and the Tigers 4.74.

(BTW, we are #82 at 4.01 ypc.)

tophawg19

and still is in position to win 9 games in the SEC
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

theFlyingHog

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 13, 2016, 05:06:48 pm
Huh? Over the last four years maybe. He'll never win 9 in the SEC

JoeyCapital

What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

JoeyCapital

Quote from: theFlyingHog on November 13, 2016, 05:15:43 pm
Huh? Over the last four years maybe. He'll never win 9 in the SEC
Your sig line is clutch
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

Danny J

Quote from: ricepig on November 13, 2016, 04:56:07 pm
There will be changes.
No doubt...it's going to happen. I would guess we promote a DC and fire a D line coach or move him somewhere inside of football operations.

go hogues

Nope. Try again.

We've won 2 SEC games this season.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

jgphillips3

He has to make changes.  The results demand it and he will start to lose the confidence of the fan base if something isn't done differently for next year.  Staff changes would be most obvious but off-season scheme changes would be at least something.  If he does nothing...I'm not sure I'll be able to defend him myself.

Atlhogfan1

Segrest was over-promoted from Samford.  Wasn't ready.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

98hogs

Worst Run Defense in the Country.  Year 4, I would have expected better.

jjdlc

Yes, something has to change, this is the type year that no staff would survive unscathed.  What makes it really aggravating, I went in to this season thinking that if our pass defense could improve even just a little, to go with what our run D had been doing, we would be in decent shape if our offense was even remotely close to last year.  Our offense has been pretty good, despite a remarkable poor O-line, and our secondary has improved dramatically, yet our run D is so bad, it has made it all for naught.

Actually BB has won exactly 9 SEC games since he has been coach at Arkansas so that statement offered up was correct.  Maybe we can knock out one of the last 2 SEC games of this season and getter up to 10.  Everyone likes the number 10 as it seems to be a very good thing if you are a 10.  BUT we all know he just needs time.  Remember he took over a dumpster fire.  Remember he won the B10 three times, everyone remembers, right.  And he is a very clean cut, go by the rules, works from daylight to exhaustion 24/7/365, type person.  Always taking the opportunity to teach the young men, you can see the fire in his eyes and he can pick a good assistant from a mile away.  And our AD hand picked him and we all know we have the smartest, best AD in college sports.  Why this Guy was hand picked to Chairman the playoff system when it was started and remember how that has promoted Arkansas and sports.  Why, before he held down the playoff chairman position, hardly anyone knew we were even a State much less did we have any sports team.  Now we are all the rage.  Folks are wanting to play us, we can get better OOC games just cause of BB and JL.  We will get to enjoy many teams Homecoming ceremony we are so liked.  We've set a few records during BBs time here and if we don't re-new that sorry contract AD Long tricked him into signing in the beginning, we liable to lose this diamond in the rough. 

IronHog

They need to get Jackson in shape, coached up, and on the field.

For all the whining about recruiting the player development has been worse....
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

JoeyCapital

Quote from: 12247 on November 13, 2016, 07:06:51 pm
Actually BB has won exactly 9 SEC games since he has been coach at Arkansas so that statement offered up was correct.  Maybe we can knock out one of the last 2 SEC games of this season and getter up to 10.  Everyone likes the number 10 as it seems to be a very good thing if you are a 10.  BUT we all know he just needs time.  Remember he took over a dumpster fire.  Remember he won the B10 three times, everyone remembers, right.  And he is a very clean cut, go by the rules, works from daylight to exhaustion 24/7/365, type person.  Always taking the opportunity to teach the young men, you can see the fire in his eyes and he can pick a good assistant from a mile away.  And our AD hand picked him and we all know we have the smartest, best AD in college sports.  Why this Guy was hand picked to Chairman the playoff system when it was started and remember how that has promoted Arkansas and sports.  Why, before he held down the playoff chairman position, hardly anyone knew we were even a State much less did we have any sports team.  Now we are all the rage.  Folks are wanting to play us, we can get better OOC games just cause of BB and JL.  We will get to enjoy many teams Homecoming ceremony we are so liked.  We've set a few records during BBs time here and if we don't re-new that sorry contract AD Long tricked him into signing in the beginning, we liable to lose this diamond in the rough.

In this world there are three types of people. There are people that are good at sarcasm, there are people that are bad at sarcasm, and then there's you. You stand alone.

If there were an olympics of sarcasm suckage you would have more gold than Michael Phelps.

swineology

When Charlie Strong gets fired at Texass Bret needs to bring him home to the hill

IronHog

Quote from: swineology on November 13, 2016, 07:19:46 pm
When Charlie Strong gets fired at Texass Bret needs to bring him home to the hill

Strong will be HC next job.

I said all along Texas and Ark got their coaching hires backwards....
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 13, 2016, 04:57:39 pm
Both Mississippi State (#32) and Mizzou (#47) can run the ball a little bit. The Bulldogs are averaging 5.12 yards per rush, and the Tigers 4.74.

(BTW, we are #82 at 4.01 ypc.)

Don't worry, they'll be over 6.5 ypc by the time we're done with em.

That'll show them bastages who's who.
This is my non-signature signature.

tophawg19

Quote from: go hogues on November 13, 2016, 05:48:53 pm
Nope. Try again.

We've won 2 SEC games this season.
we play in the SEC and have a chance to win 9 games . we only play 8 sec games a year . 9 on a championship year i guess
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Youngsta71701

The run defense this year has been a total disaster. Load the box! Stop the run first why don't ya! Jeez...it's not rocket science...
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Danny J

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 13, 2016, 08:34:17 pm
The run defense this year has been a total disaster. Load the box! Stop the run first why don't ya! Jeez...it's not rocket science...
You mean playing Tampa 2 against run heavy teams like LSU and Auburn isn't a good idea? We have such sound tackling LB's and gap/edge disciplined lineman that surely playing 2 safeties in coverage is a great idea.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Danny J on November 13, 2016, 08:40:01 pm
You mean playing Tampa 2 against run heavy teams like LSU and Auburn isn't a good idea? We have such sound tackling LB's and gap/edge disciplined lineman that surely playing 2 safeties in coverage is a great idea.
Horrible idea...Lol...I love the sarcasm! These coaches make things so much harder than they should be. I've heard of coaches overthinking sometimes but "come on man"!

ShadowHawg

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 13, 2016, 08:33:30 pm
we play in the SEC and have a chance to win 9 games . we only play 8 sec games a year . 9 on a championship year i guess

Just shows how soft the schedule turned out to be, IMO. Terrible offensive line play. This thread state the facts about the d, and a new qb rarely ever adds up to 9 wins.

Potosihog

https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/797921096355880960

Now that takes effort.  It ain't easy being that bad.  Surely CRS has to go.

I know we have had a tough schedule but I would bet money that UCA's defense would have better numbers even with our schedule.

Youngsta71701

Here is the main reason our run defense is so bad this year. It's called no common sense. LSU loves to run the ball. Everybody and every team knows it except Arkansas apparently. Their best two players on offense our the running backs. Their worse player on offense is the QB. Load the box why don't ya?! But what do we do? We come out and play soft coverage on the outside with two safeties deep the majority of the game instead of playing tight coverage underneath with one safety deep to make the worst player on their offense throw the ball into tight coverage. Mainly on 3rd down plays we allowed them to pick up easy first downs with easy non contested throws to the outside. You should at least play the sticks. IKR...makes sense to me too.

If I'm game planning against LSU I'm having everybody and they momma in the box except for one safety deep playing center field just in case they get lucky. Non of that soft stuff. I'm playing either a 4-4 or a 5-3 whatever you want to call it then go to a nickel or dime in passing situations. And BTW what good is having an outside linebacker if he's not going to be outside?

DeltaBoy

I hope we can get Vandy's HC as our DC.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 14, 2016, 10:29:30 am
I hope we can get Vandy's HC as our DC.
I wouldn't have a problem with that. He seems to do more with less. At least on that side of the ball.

Inhogswetrust

Which makes it even more frustrating knowing where we could be with even an average rushing D.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

code red

Quote from: geddie on November 13, 2016, 04:22:18 pm

Agreed.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

hogblitz

Bielema not firing RS after Auburn is beyond me!   He should have sent a message right then and there about this not being acceptable. He would rather just use words instead of actions!   I understand that many times it is done after the season but these are very unusual circumstances to have a defense this bad.  Anywhere else a change would be made immediately if nothing else just to show we are trying to correct with something other than words.   We are now a laughing stock.  Realistically, it is truly amazing that our record(as crappy as it is) is as good as it is!!!

jm

How in the world are so many people just now realizing that the defense is a problem? It was obvious in the first game. It has been obvious in every game except Florida, but most of the fan base is so focused on offensive line or how a running QB would help that they just couldn't see the real issues with this years team.

hawg IQ

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 13, 2016, 08:34:17 pm
still couldn't stop anybody. Guys, bad corners and linebackers , this is what you get. We made a very average qb looks awesome with LSU. We made guice look like Heisman material.

The giving up on edge plays is a freak of nature .
go hogs go !

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hawg IQ on November 14, 2016, 09:37:52 pm
still couldn't stop anybody. Guys, bad corners and linebackers , this is what you get. We made a very average qb looks awesome with LSU. We made guice look like Heisman material.

The giving up on edge plays is a freak of nature .
It would give us a better chance than playing two deep. Even Randy Rainwater on DTS said we should have just sold out on the run, played tight coverage, and made the QB beat us.

farmhawg

Quote from: LZH on November 13, 2016, 04:33:52 pm
Work in progress. Just wait to til he starts getting some of his own players in here and we'll be fine.
Once we get our 8th year redshirt walkon program going we will be great.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

HoggusMaximus

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 13, 2016, 04:36:47 pm
Maybe Charlie Strong will he available after the season.

CS won't be a DC anywhere unless it's the NFL.

East Clintwood

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on November 15, 2016, 10:13:48 am
CS won't be a DC anywhere unless it's the NFL.

Agreed.  Bring him to Arkansas.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma