Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No fire?

Started by Hogball58, November 13, 2016, 12:42:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogball58

I watch the games on television and when the camera shows our sideline there aren't any coaches talking to our defensive players. d-line,linebackers,etc. are just sitting looking lost and sad. Why isn't someone coaching them up or firing them up?

Sed76

That's one of the things that really bother me about Bielema. Getting destroyed and he's just standing there with this blank look on his face. I'm not saying he should be dropping F bombs and screaming in players faces but show some freaking emotion. Reminds me Danny Ford kneeling on the sidelines picking grass looking totally disinterested.

alohawg

Quote from: Sed76 on November 13, 2016, 01:59:13 pm
That's one of the things that really bother me about Bielema. Getting destroyed and he's just standing there with this blank look on his face. I'm not saying he should be dropping F bombs and screaming in players faces but show some freaking emotion. Reminds me Danny Ford kneeling on the sidelines picking grass looking totally disinterested.

Contrast this with Saban and staff, talent differences aside.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

JaketheSnake

There's not much true coaching that can be done on the sidelines.  That job is done the rest of the week.

porkrindjimmy

Fat and lazy and it translates down to the team.

PRJ

LZH

Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 13, 2016, 02:27:48 pm
There's not much true coaching that can be done on the sidelines.  That job is done the rest of the week.

What?

porkrindjimmy

JaketheSnake

Quote from: LZH on November 13, 2016, 02:29:56 pm
What?
A coach is not going to be able to do much during the actual game.   Complaining about how the coaches act during a game is dumb and shows an ignorance.  You can talk about what you're seeing, but the coaching should be done during the week.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 13, 2016, 02:37:32 pm
A coach is not going to be able to do much during the actual game.   Complaining about how the coaches act during a game is dumb and shows an ignorance.  You can talk about what you're seeing, but the coaching should be done during the week.

And on certain weeks, there isn't any coaching going on.

PRJ

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

porkrindjimmy

porkrindjimmy

And I got his attention too.

PRJ

Sed76

So you are saying that if Saban stood there stone faced during the actual game it wouldn't matter one bit because he did his coaching during the week? I get game week practice is very important but you have to coach and make adjustments as the game is happening.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Sed76 on November 13, 2016, 03:21:06 pm
So you are saying that if Saban stood there stone faced during the actual game it wouldn't matter one bit because he did his coaching during the week? I get game week practice is very important but you have to coach and make adjustments as the game is happening.
Most adjustments are made at halftime.  There are some minor things coaches can do, but it's usually minimal.  The mental state players are in doesn't alliw for things to stick during the game.
There are adjustments and reviewing what is actually going on, but most of that is done at halftime. 

Coaches shouldn't be dormant, so don't think I'm saying that. 

LZH

Damn, half the coaching goes on during the game. It is about making adjustments to what you haven't prepared for.

ricepig

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 13, 2016, 02:39:47 pm
And on certain weeks, there isn't any coaching going on.

PRJ

Link?? So, the weeks we win, we get coaching, the games we lose we don't, lol?

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on November 13, 2016, 04:38:03 pm
Damn, half the coaching goes on during the game. It is about making adjustments to what you haven't prepared for.

You can see the sidelines from Florida? They meet with their coaches and go over whatever they go over, haha. I can see them from my seats. Now, are they playing tic-tac-toe on the whiteboards, I can't see that from the SEZ, lol.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: LZH on November 13, 2016, 04:38:03 pm
If that's the case, that's why we are losing.

Tweeter

What pisses me off is players quiting and they continue to get to play. 

Qui Gon Jinn

If no coaching needs to be done during the game, then someone should tell all those teams at the top, because they all do it.  And, we should be ranked #1, 2,3,4, and #5.
The expert in anything was once a beginner.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Qui Gon Jinn on November 13, 2016, 10:35:02 pm
If no coaching needs to be done during the game, then someone should tell all those teams at the top, because they all do it.  And, we should be ranked #1, 2,3,4, and #5.
Anybody say "no coaching?" 
And I'm amazed that you know what's going on on other teams sidelines.  Belichick didn't know and tried to find out a few years ago. 

There is some coaching that takes place, but if that's when the true coaching is going on then the staff is a major failure arlreparation andneedd to be canned.

gchamblee

Quote from: Hogball58 on November 13, 2016, 12:42:08 pm
I watch the games on television and when the camera shows our sideline there aren't any coaches talking to our defensive players. d-line,linebackers,etc. are just sitting looking lost and sad. Why isn't someone coaching them up or firing them up?

well i cant argue with your diagnosis since you have the bulletproof evidence of television.

Piggage

Ok, but then it isn't getting done. Preparation went into the Florida game, but there wasn't evidence of much successful work getting done in the few weeks before or the week since.

What if the yelling in players' faces, F-bombs, etc. on the sideline during games are for OTHER players' benefit too, especially bench players? What happens when bench players see the favorites mailing it in and getting owned, and the coach looks like he's wondering what's for dinner tonight? Would it be better for that bench player to see coach show a little passion and think 1) "I may be about to go into this game" and 2) "If I do, I can't just mail it in or Coach will tear me a new one on national television."

LSUFan

The former coach HDN behaved like this, as well. I remember sitting behind the Arkansas bench and it was like he was just there to watch the game.

No assistants were even talking to the players.

I see this as well now days.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Piggage on November 14, 2016, 02:07:09 pm
Ok, but then it isn't getting done. Preparation went into the Florida game, but there wasn't evidence of much successful work getting done in the few weeks before or the week since.

What if the yelling in players' faces, F-bombs, etc. on the sideline during games are for OTHER players' benefit too, especially bench players? What happens when bench players see the favorites mailing it in and getting owned, and the coach looks like he's wondering what's for dinner tonight? Would it be better for that bench player to see coach show a little passion and think 1) "I may be about to go into this game" and 2) "If I do, I can't just mail it in or Coach will tear me a new one on national television."

If there only worry is what a coach may say to them on TV, then we have bigger problems that in sure Jeff Long will deal with sooner than later.  If you have to scream at players during a game, you clearly didn't do your job during the week.  Compliments of Tony Dungy

Qui Gon Jinn

Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 14, 2016, 07:01:37 am
Anybody say "no coaching?" 
And I'm amazed that you know what's going on on other teams sidelines.  Belichick didn't know and tried to find out a few years ago. 

There is some coaching that takes place, but if that's when the true coaching is going on then the staff is a major failure arlreparation andneedd to be canned.

Your posts show how little you know about "true coaching". 

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Qui Gon Jinn on November 14, 2016, 05:29:05 pm
Ok

Inhogswetrust

I like a business like approach from a head coach. Calm, cool and collected as if they know what can and is happening. I also admit I've never seen CBB as animated towards the refs as much as this year.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

JOKERHOG

I understand there is something called "adjustments" during the game but I haven't seen it during BBs time here
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

clutch

Quote from: Qui Gon Jinn on November 14, 2016, 05:29:05 pm

He's actually right. I'm a coach and I agree with what he is saying. Well, sort of. There's two different types of coaching, there's preparation and teaching, and there's in game coaching. They are completely different.

During the week you are in teaching mode. That is when you are teaching the players what you want them to do and how to do it better. During the game, you are making in game decisions. You talk to your players about doing what you've talked about all week, but there isn't much actual coaching of how to do it. If they are still needing to be shown what to do at this point, it's too late. There's way too much in game decision making going on to be coaching players on how to do things.

Adjustments fall under in-game coaching. They are changes in scheme, alignment, personnel, etc. Very rarely can you make an in-game adjustment to the way a player is playing. You can adjust mistakes like how they are lined up, or who they are keying, but it's not going to do you any good to try to teach them how to tackle better at this point. The only thing that will fix the way a player is playing is reps, and you get those reps in practice settings.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: clutch on November 14, 2016, 08:02:22 pm
He's actually right. I'm a coach and I agree with what he is saying. Well, sort of. There's two different types of coaching, there's preparation and teaching, and there's in game coaching. They are completely different.

During the week you are in teaching mode. That is when you are teaching the players what you want them to do and how to do it better. During the game, you are making in game decisions. You talk to your players about doing what you've talked about all week, but there isn't much actual coaching of how to do it. If they are still needing to be shown what to do at this point, it's too late. There's way too much in game decision making going on to be coaching players on how to do things.

Adjustments fall under in-game coaching. They are changes in scheme, alignment, personnel, etc. Very rarely can you make an in-game adjustment to the way a player is playing. You can adjust mistakes like how they are lined up, or who they are keying, but it's not going to do you any good to try to teach them how to tackle better at this point. The only thing that will fix the way a player is playing is reps, and you get those reps in practice settings.
Yes, adjustments and seeing what the players see are about all a coach can do during a game except at halftime.  If there's new scheming going on during the game, something is bad wrong. 

go hogues

Speaking of no fire, CBB looked worn out and defeated in today's (Monday) presser. I've never seem him like that in a Monday presser before.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Qui Gon Jinn

Quote from: clutch on November 14, 2016, 08:02:22 pm

I guess we can all just agree to disagree.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Qui Gon Jinn on November 14, 2016, 09:51:39 pm
I guess we can all just agree to disagree.
Have you ever coached any level of football?

DeltaBoy

I see it as a generational issue todays players and studnets are no where near as resilient as we were in the 1980's.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

NaturalStateReb

I agree that you can't do a lot of individual coaching during a game, and that you don't have to act like you're having a nervous breakdown all of the time in order to show you care.

However, there are some times when the camera catches Bielema after something bad happens, and he's got this blank, open-mouth look a lot of times, like he's just been hit in the head with a boat paddle.  I'm sure that he's not just sitting there stunned, that he's thinking, but it's not an especially telegenic look.  Maybe we're making too much of what we're seeing there.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on November 15, 2016, 08:46:45 am
I agree that you can't do a lot of individual coaching during a game, and that you don't have to act like you're having a nervous breakdown all of the time in order to show you care.

However, there are some times when the camera catches Bielema after something bad happens, and he's got this blank, open-mouth look a lot of times, like he's just been hit in the head with a boat paddle.  I'm sure that he's not just sitting there stunned, that he's thinking, but it's not an especially telegenic look.  Maybe we're making too much of what we're seeing there.
I agree with that.  The looks on his face don't help him any.  Jen needs to say something. "Close your mouth B!"

Inhogswetrust

November 15, 2016, 10:40:14 am #37 Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 10:58:11 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: NaturalStateReb on November 15, 2016, 08:46:45 am

In America haven't we all been told that we aren't suppose to judge people based on their "look"...............................yet we all do it sometimes.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

MJ2

Quote from: Sed76 on November 13, 2016, 01:59:13 pm

His $4M per year isn't based on performance.   He gets it regardless.   I'm sure he's just standing there wondering how much longer this can go on!

hawgtusky22

Reminds me of a Beavis and Butthead  show watching  coach B on sidelines.  Beady eyes and blank look

Kevin

Quote from: go hogues on November 14, 2016, 09:30:09 pm
Speaking of no fire, CBB looked worn out and defeated in today's (Monday) presser. I've never seem him like that in a Monday presser before.

tired of seeing the same problems, and having to answer for them
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

texhog22

Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 13, 2016, 02:27:48 pm
I call BS on that

texhog22

you reinforce coaching during the game, you motivate,  etc

5HOG5

November 15, 2016, 02:07:35 pm #43 Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 02:31:42 pm by 5HOG5

Its obvious to me these coaches dont gave a crap beyond getting there paychecks to what happens. It shows on the sidelines and every week the players are not prepared and motivated, focused on the game, or fired up! You wonder why the team quits almost every week?

Kevin

Quote from: 5HOG5 on November 15, 2016, 02:07:35 pm
Its obvious to me these coaches dont gave a crap beyond getting there paychecks to what happens. It shows on the sidelines and every week the players are not prepared and motivated, focused on the game, or fired up! You wonder why the team quits almost every week?

you cannot believe this
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

5HOG5

Quote from: Kevin on November 15, 2016, 02:32:24 pm
you cannot believe this

I try not too, but you gotta wonder about why this happens every gameday! These players were suppose have been fired up during the florida game how interesting! Does that only happen only one time a year or 3 years? Does these coaches (excluding CBB) have that ability to fire them up or motivate them or even get them ready? Hell yes they showed they have, do they use it every game for the players or on the sidelines? NOPE! Why?

Youngsta71701

I think Robb knows his days as the Arkansas Razorback DC are numbered...
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Kevin

Quote from: 5HOG5 on November 15, 2016, 02:45:28 pm
I try not too, but you gotta wonder about why this happens every gameday! These players were suppose have been fired up during the florida game how interesting! Does that only happen only one time a year or 3 years? Does these coaches (excluding CBB) have that ability to fire them up or motivate them or even get them ready? Hell yes they showed they have, do they use it every game for the players or on the sidelines? NOPE! Why?

not every game

it has happened a couple of times this year

JaketheSnake

Quote from: texhog22 on November 15, 2016, 02:02:15 pm
I call BS on that
Quote from: texhog22 on November 15, 2016, 02:05:48 pm
you reinforce coaching during the game, you motivate,  etc
Which is my point... reinforcing and motivating is not the part of coaching people were alluding to.  And really, even reinforcing on the sidelines still means your job wasn't done during the week.

gchamblee

Quote from: 5HOG5 on November 15, 2016, 02:45:28 pm

do your parents know that you're posting on hogville?