Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Basil Shabazz II

Started by twistitup, October 05, 2016, 03:24:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsreca

Yep..that's Basil's son...he wants to play there...wish we had an inside to get him recruited...im his wife

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: mrsreca on November 14, 2016, 04:17:01 pm
Yep..that's Basil's son...he wants to play there...wish we had an inside to get him recruited...im his wife
sweet. maybe somebody will drop a line for you.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

PorkRinds

Email the recruiting coordinator EK Franks. Send him any info he asks a for, and I would suggest a mention of his dad's story in Arkansas.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on October 07, 2016, 11:58:59 am
Steve Sullivan started the  Shabazz's  legend. When Shabazz played safety in the 10th grade. Sully started a Friday night highlight special every Friday. Shabazz played safety mostly for the Z's. He wasn't a full time RB. But in the 12th grade. Shabazz gained over a 1,000 yds alone in the playoffs.

I was around then to watch and see Steve talk about him and I was there for 2 of his Sr playoff games including his one man destruction of one of the best teams Arkansas High ever had.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

twistitup

I would love to see him in a Razorback uni. Lets get the gears greased and see what happens.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

IronHog

Quote from: redleg on October 06, 2016, 04:06:38 pm
Shabazz and his little brother were left at home alone by their crackhead mother, who left for L.A. so she could keep using drugs. The brothers were pretty much taken care of by the neighborhood, and I think they eventually moved in with someone. Anyway, Basil was probably the single most gifted athlete this state has ever produced! More than D-Mac, Matt Jones, Sidney Moncrief, any one! Dude was All-State in football, baseball, track, and All-Conference in basketball. He played RB, QB, WR, CB, S, returned punts, kickoffs,and even punted a few times for Pine Bluff High. He was amazing, and could absolutely FLY! He was easily a step or two faster than McFadden! He had football offers from pretty much everyone in the South, and was leaning heavily to Arkansas. But then he got drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals in the MLB draft. Since he and his brother had never had anything, that was like hitting the lottery. He signed, played Class A ball for a few years, got in trouble, got released from his contract, tried to make a go of it at UAPB, but it never worked out for him. He's doing well now in Texas.
Basil Shabazz was the Razorbacks version of Marcus Dupree. The Best That Never Was.
:razorback:

He was mostly raised by Tori Hunters mother....

Shabazz hurt a knee playing baseball.....didn't take care of it and lost a step.

He was better than Madre Hill or McFadden.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

Quote from: hawkhawg on October 06, 2016, 02:11:24 pm
I think it had more to do with ACT.

Prop 48 was still an option then....

Arthur pigby sellers.

Played against him when I was a sophomore at Catholic. Total man against boys. not just a man but a polished D1 athlete playing against HS players. We were a playoff team,  but he was bigger and faster than anyone on the field. He returned a punt for a touchdown, ran an interception back for a touchdown, ran a kickoff back for a touchdown and I think scored as a halfback.
Couple other things I remember about the game.  Myself and the rest of the team was in awe when one of our CBs made a one on one tackle on Basil.
When he played HB and didn't get the ball, he would just stand there. I actually understand this now since he played just about every down on offense defense and special teams.

RedRock

It's interesting, Shabazz is arguably the greatest sports legend in Arkansas history without succeeding in a post high school career. Any others?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: RedRock on November 15, 2016, 09:08:53 pm
It's interesting, Shabazz is arguably the greatest sports legend in Arkansas history without succeeding in a post high school career. Any others?

I can think of a couple of QB's...................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Snizzzo

To those who never saw him, or assume his legend is fabricated, he is the best football player I've ever seen in this state.  Definitely the most freakish athlete.  There is actually a couple HS highlight videos on YouTube, you all should go check them out.  Not great quality, nor is it a compilatoon of his best moments from a large catalog.  It does however, show the size, power, and unparalleled speed. 

IronHog

Quote from: Snizzzo on November 16, 2016, 04:00:50 pm
To those who never saw him, or assume his legend is fabricated, he is the best football player I've ever seen in this state.  Definitely the most freakish athlete.  There is actually a couple HS highlight videos on YouTube, you all should go check them out.  Not great quality, nor is it a compilatoon of his best moments from a large catalog.  It does however, show the size, power, and unparalleled speed. 

Still holds state record in 200m

Was excellent FB, basketball, baseball, and track athlete.

Snizzzo

Quote from: IronHog on November 16, 2016, 06:38:13 pm

Still holds state record in 200m

Was excellent FB, basketball, baseball, and track athlete.

hawganatic

Is he getting any offers from other schools?  Can't find him on 247.  When I google him I find his Maxprep's and his hudl profiles but not much else.

1highhog

1highhog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 05, 2016, 06:50:26 pm
Why didn't Shabaz come to Arkansas?  What was the real story?

Oh please not this again.

1highhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 05, 2016, 09:05:59 pm
I think I read an article that said Basil can still run a 4.4

He ran a fast 40 time in the article mentioned just above that was written in 2013 with just regular tennis shoes on, not track shoes.  He didn't warm up either.  I sure loved watching him play, feels like so long ago because it was.  I'm glad he's in such a great place in his life now.

1highhog

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 05, 2016, 09:29:05 pm
Basil unfortunately was the product of the original " No Child left Behind". Basil was passed along. Not saying he could not be a good student just that he wasn't.
Along came a 50,000 bonus to try MLB. He couldn't hit a curve so he didn't make it.

You got the bonus amount wrong.

1highhog

It was Tori Hunters family that took a large share in giving Basil a home while his Mother was away.

1highhog

I wished that Steve Sullivan would open up, well, wait, he worked for KARK during that time.  So I'm pretty sure KARK is not going to start showing old TV footage of a young Steve Sullivan who now has been working for KATV for years tapes of Sullivan pimping Football games, that'd just help his resume at the other station he now works at.  I regret the fact we will never see those old tapes of Basil, Sullivan sure showed plenty of them.

bob slydell

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 05, 2016, 06:57:02 pm
.230.     :)

Shabazz was the truth in baseball. He was the best player on a team that had Tori Hunter on it in high school. Other issues got in his way.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

Sed76

I saw Basil play baseball when he got assigned to the Travs. He hit 2 home runs and a triple first game at Ray Winder.

1highhog

Quote from: Sed76 on November 17, 2016, 02:48:26 pm
I saw Basil play baseball when he got assigned to the Travs. He hit 2 home runs and a triple first game at Ray Winder.

Basil could have been one of those rare players that if he gave it his all in one sport he could have been great at it, he never did at any one sport.  People think he played Football for so many years, that wasn't even his sport of choice, if he would have given track full time devotion a lot of his records would still be standing instead of just the one, and just think of all the new ways of training now they have.