Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Basil Shabazz II

Started by twistitup, October 05, 2016, 03:24:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Dwight_K_Shrute

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

supersaint

Pretty common name. Probably a coincidence.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

Cinco de Hogo

Last I heard BS was living in the Dallas area, that's a pretty big coinindence.

carolinahogger

Quote from: supersaint on October 05, 2016, 04:08:38 pm
Pretty common name. Probably a coincidence.

That's what I was thinking.

supersaint

There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

hogcard1964

Why didn't Shabaz come to Arkansas?  What was the real story?

Danny J

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 05, 2016, 06:50:26 pm
Had something to do with MLB

hogcard1964

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on October 05, 2016, 05:22:20 pm
Last I heard BS was living in the Dallas area, that's a pretty big coinindence.

One thing he was doing...coaching select baseball clubs. And he did live and work in far north Dallas. That's where The Colony is. So yeah, just a coincidence.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

husker71

We had just opened a property in the Colony and I went to their high school basketball games.  At the time they had Deron Williams and Bracey Wright (who went on to lead the Big 10 in scoring)  what a duo

FATHAWG08

I love off season Football!!

k.c.hawg

Here is dad with a very good friend of mine that has since left us He was one of his Legion baseball coaches in PB. This was probably 7 years ago in Texas.

Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

jseinfeld50

AirForceHog

If his son has been blessed with just a little of his dad's talent, sign him now.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

PorkRinds

I think I read an article that said Basil can still run a 4.4

AirForceHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 05, 2016, 09:05:59 pm

I heard 4.0 flat.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

FATHAWG08

Quote from: k.c.hawg on October 05, 2016, 07:57:52 pm
Here is dad with a very good friend of mine that has since left us He was one of his Legion baseball coaches in PB. This was probably 7 years ago in Texas.

John  Gross a Great Man. Helluva ball player as well. The World lost a Great Man!

Piggfoot

Basil unfortunately was the product of the original " No Child left Behind". Basil was passed along. Not saying he could not be a good student just that he wasn't.
Along came a 50,000 bonus to try MLB. He couldn't hit a curve so he didn't make it.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

fanofthehog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 05, 2016, 06:57:02 pm
.230.     :)
I heard he went 10 for 12 in the Ray Biggers Classic.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Had a choice between going to school or making money in Baseball... He tried to come back, but didn't perform aS well at UAPB as the coaches at Arkansas wanted... He was the most gifted athlete I have seen. I would dare say that Cedric Sprinkle at White Hall was just as good, but White Hall ran the ball and Cedric grew to 6' 6" just like another Sprinkle we all know...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

DallasHogFan

I am a Colony Cougar grad from about 17 years ago, and one of my good friends is a football coach there. Despite it being such a common name, I can tell you that he is indeed the son of the mythical legend. I believe last year was his first year to ever play football, could have been two years ago though. If I remember right from another baseball coach buddy, BS is coaching select baseball in the Prosper area, or at least was a while back.
Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, all right. We got 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some "Hogville Censored" muscle. -Wooderson

jseinfeld50

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 05, 2016, 09:05:59 pm

Someone interviewed him and I think he said he ran an 4.67 at age 41 a few years ago.

kodiakisland

Twist!
I thought you was long buried.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

twistitup

DeltaBoy

It would be great to see him play PR and DB for the Hogs.  I am still bummed we did not land his Dad.  Basil SR was Vince Young, Mike Vick etc before they were.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PorkRinds

Quote from: jseinfeld50 on October 06, 2016, 05:31:31 am
Someone interviewed him and I think he said he ran an 4.67 at age 41 a few years ago.

In tennis shoes on a football field. In real conditions it'd be lower than that. But yeah. Still hella impressive.

hawgXi

too much press got out on him before they could get his grades changed

ThisTeetsTaken

I heard he ran a 4.29 with Tanner English on his back.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

snoblind

HogShat

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 06, 2016, 08:57:23 am
I heard he ran a 4.29 with Tanner English on his back.

I was trying to get in before Tanner English... He's just too... Fast...

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

jseinfeld50

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 06, 2016, 08:38:08 am
In tennis shoes on a football field. In real conditions it'd be lower than that. But yeah. Still hella impressive.

That time was with no training and no warmups. Yeah I agree who else at that age or older besides possibly a few aged world class sprinters and possibly Deion Sanders, Darrell Green, and maybe Hershel Walker. 

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on October 05, 2016, 10:16:14 pm
Had a choice between going to school or making money in Baseball... He tried to come back, but didn't perform aS well at UAPB as the coaches at Arkansas wanted... He was the most gifted athlete I have seen. I would dare say that Cedric Sprinkle at White Hall was just as good, but White Hall ran the ball and Cedric grew to 6' 6" just like another Sprinkle we all know...

I don't know that going to Arkansas out of high school was an option, though. If so, he would've played football I'm sure.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: DallasHogFan on October 05, 2016, 10:26:52 pm
I am a Colony Cougar grad from about 17 years ago, and one of my good friends is a football coach there. Despite it being such a common name, I can tell you that he is indeed the son of the mythical legend. I believe last year was his first year to ever play football, could have been two years ago though. If I remember right from another baseball coach buddy, BS is coaching select baseball in the Prosper area, or at least was a while back.

Yes, he's in the McKinney, Allen area. I was in Frisco the past two years and my boss' 8 year old son was playing for him. Pretty cool, sounds like a great guy.

carolinahogger

BigSexyHog

Quote from: fanofthehog on October 05, 2016, 10:04:50 pm

Wow..  Just wow....+1
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

GuvHog

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 05, 2016, 09:29:05 pm
Basil unfortunately was the product of the original " No Child left Behind". Basil was passed along. Not saying he could not be a good student just that he wasn't.
Along came a 50,000 bonus to try MLB. He couldn't hit a curve so he didn't make it.

He was actually a product of a school system that failed him. He, himself stated that nobody pushed him to get his grades up at the school not even his football coaches. As I recall, it wasn't too long after that when the state raised the minimum grade average required to participate in extracurricular HS and JHS activities to a "C" average.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hawkhawg

Quote from: Danny J on October 05, 2016, 06:54:07 pm
Had something to do with MLB

I think it had more to do with ACT.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on October 05, 2016, 09:15:36 pm
John  Gross a Great Man. Helluva ball player as well. The World lost a Great Man!

Many a great trip to Southland Park for some dog racing. Spent a many an evening in the Kennel Club having a beverage an betting the dogs. I grew up on horse racing, a lot of my parent friends were owners and it was a way of life. He kept trying to talk me into trying the dogs. So glad I did. We turned a lot of mundane weeknights into special nights. Great friend that I really miss.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

redleg

Shabazz and his little brother were left at home alone by their crackhead mother, who left for L.A. so she could keep using drugs. The brothers were pretty much taken care of by the neighborhood, and I think they eventually moved in with someone. Anyway, Basil was probably the single most gifted athlete this state has ever produced! More than D-Mac, Matt Jones, Sidney Moncrief, any one! Dude was All-State in football, baseball, track, and All-Conference in basketball. He played RB, QB, WR, CB, S, returned punts, kickoffs,and even punted a few times for Pine Bluff High. He was amazing, and could absolutely FLY! He was easily a step or two faster than McFadden! He had football offers from pretty much everyone in the South, and was leaning heavily to Arkansas. But then he got drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals in the MLB draft. Since he and his brother had never had anything, that was like hitting the lottery. He signed, played Class A ball for a few years, got in trouble, got released from his contract, tried to make a go of it at UAPB, but it never worked out for him. He's doing well now in Texas.
Basil Shabazz was the Razorbacks version of Marcus Dupree. The Best That Never Was.
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: redleg on October 06, 2016, 04:06:38 pm
Shabazz and his little brother were left at home alone by their crackhead mother, who left for L.A. so she could keep using drugs. The brothers were pretty much taken care of by the neighborhood, and I think they eventually moved in with someone. Anyway, Basil was probably the single most gifted athlete this state has ever produced! More than D-Mac, Matt Jones, Sidney Moncrief, any one! Dude was All-State in football, baseball, track, and All-Conference in basketball. He played RB, QB, WR, CB, S, returned punts, kickoffs,and even punted a few times for Pine Bluff High. He was amazing, and could absolutely FLY! He was easily a step or two faster than McFadden! He had football offers from pretty much everyone in the South, and was leaning heavily to Arkansas. But then he got drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals in the MLB draft. Since he and his brother had never had anything, that was like hitting the lottery. He signed, played Class A ball for a few years, got in trouble, got released from his contract, tried to make a go of it at UAPB, but it never worked out for him. He's doing well now in Texas.
Basil Shabazz was the Razorbacks version of Marcus Dupree. The Best That Never Was.
:razorback:

Yep, living between friends houses a $150k looks pretty damn good.

searkhogfan

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on October 05, 2016, 10:16:14 pm

The only high school player I've ever seen to be anywhere close to Shabazz  is Eric Mitchell. IMO, DMac wasn't the High school player that either of them were.

DeltaBoy

He made his Legend against Arkansas High and at the State Track Meet.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

McGloin

Didn't he once beat Bill Brasky in a dwarf tossing competition?

FATHAWG08

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 07, 2016, 11:05:36 am
He made his Legend against Arkansas High and at the State Track Meet.
Steve Sullivan started the  Shabazz's  legend. When Shabazz played safety in the 10th grade. Sully started a Friday night highlight special every Friday. Shabazz played safety mostly for the Z's. He wasn't a full time RB. But in the 12th grade. Shabazz gained over a 1,000 yds alone in the playoffs.

twistitup

So....BS II is an Ark lock? Must continue the legacy

umpqua

Quote from: fanofthehog on October 05, 2016, 10:04:50 pm
Thanks for reminding us.

Peter Porker

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on October 07, 2016, 11:58:59 am
Steve Sullivan started the  Shabazz's  legend. When Shabazz played safety in the 10th grade. Sully started a Friday night highlight special every Friday. Shabazz played safety mostly for the Z's. He wasn't a full time RB. But in the 12th grade. Shabazz gained over a 1,000 yds alone in the playoffs.

That was Madre Hill. Shabazz had 1,700 yards rushing his senior year at about 7 yards a carry.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.