Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Demekko Clark and Cualan Williams are the best prospects in the state

Started by BoynamedWooPigSooie, December 05, 2016, 07:00:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ARtillahog on December 06, 2016, 01:36:24 pm
So who would you rather have between Whaley, Hammonds, or Crockett?  Bc the Hogs were only taking 2, maybe 3 if they got their wish.
exactly. he's good but he's no DW. Nor is he as electric as TJH.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

ARtillahog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 06, 2016, 01:35:59 pm
it's our darn schools. ever notice the kids from b-ville, fay-ville, etc always seem to get the help they need to qualify? meanwhile, little rock counselors screw up tests and cost kids eligiblity and rarely get them to qualify. it's pathetic.

I feel like there is way too much speculation in this post...

ricepig

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on December 06, 2016, 01:29:21 pm
Crockett the  RB from LR was a miss. I know he had a legal issue going into the last Game. But that kid looks like an SEC caliber player & he definitely proved it. That was a Big Miss by our Staff.

We were trying for CB/S/WR help in the last scholarships, now we struck out on them, but we didn't know that at the time. Were was suppose to tell him not to sign on NSD and wait and see who we get??

hvsupastar

it's our darn schools. ever notice the kids from b-ville, fay-ville, etc always seem to get the help they need to qualify? meanwhile, little rock counselors screw up tests and cost kids eligiblity and rarely get them to qualify. it's pathetic.

I think it probably has more to do with the quality of education in the elementary and middle levels that leads them to struggling in high school. 
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

ricepig

Quote from: hvsupastar on December 06, 2016, 01:59:12 pm
I think it probably has more to do with the quality of education in the elementary and middle levels that leads them to struggling in high school. 

No doubt that is where it starts, that and the support at home.

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: hvsupastar on December 06, 2016, 10:33:58 am
I saw Cualan Williams and Dezmon Jackson on the same field and they weren't in the same class, Jackson was head and shoulders better.

Dezmon Jackson and Monta Thomas are the 2 best prospects in the state but neither are going to qualify it seems. 

the best player in the state is Jackson from Robinson or Burks from Warren

onebadrubi

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on December 06, 2016, 01:29:21 pm
Crockett the  RB from LR was a miss. I know he had a legal issue going into the last Game. But that kid looks like an SEC caliber player & he definitely proved it. That was a Big Miss by our Staff.

Gosh we've never seen this comment. I bet you are the same guy that complains when our recruiting rankings don't look good, like talking out of both sides of your mouth here.... 

We are only taking max 2 rb's a class. We picked up the best RB in state and one of the best, consensus top 5, in the nation in Whaley.

Crockett wasn't a miss.  If he was in the previous class he prolly gets an offer but we just had better. Keep in mind Crockett only flipped from Boise late because of a last minute reach offer by mizzou. Kid performed well and will there given the situation, it doesn't mean this staff failed their job. 

Thanks for telling on yourself.

onebadrubi

It's more then that but not a discussion need to be had here.

greenie

Eligibility doesn't require much at all.  For kids that don't qualify, and as long as the parents are still breathing, its 100% on the parents.  Sure, they don't get much help from the schools in certain areas of the state, but too many parents totally abdicate their responsibility for their kids education. 

hawgfan4life

If AR is recruiting kids that can do back flips, he should definitely get a look.  Not to be too critical, but throwing a bunch of plates on a bar and doing a 3/4 squat won't impress college coaches too much.  Go a minimum of parallel or past parallel, and you will get their attention.   

tophawg19

there is a lot more talent in the state than our fans realize . especially in South Arkansas but so many fail to meet the grades . . These kids lack proper coaching as many teams only have a few coaches and the rest is volunteers, weight rooms are sadly lacking. These kids have the talent but something must be done about the academic side to help them. Bearden is a perfect example . The school has had several kids the hogs really wanted but couldn't handle the academic side . every year you get very good talent from this region but trarely do these small school kids qualify
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Pig in the Pokey

I mean, we all know they are ranked #49. We say , "Thank God for Mississippi" and just accept it. When has anyone even dreamed of being top 40 out of 50 states? It's sad, and something should be done about it. But we all know that our rulers want the people dumb, so it won't change.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

IronHog

Quote from: tophawg19 on December 06, 2016, 08:06:45 pm
there is a lot more talent in the state than our fans realize . especially in South Arkansas but so many fail to meet the grades . . These kids lack proper coaching as many teams only have a few coaches and the rest is volunteers, weight rooms are sadly lacking. These kids have the talent but something must be done about the academic side to help them. Bearden is a perfect example . The school has had several kids the hogs really wanted but couldn't handle the academic side . every year you get very good talent from this region but trarely do these small school kids qualify

There's more college athletes hanging around bearden than the entire 7A west......except they never go to college.

Even if these type kids do get the grades the current staff won't play them.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: tophawg19 on December 06, 2016, 08:06:45 pm
There becomes the issue.  If they won't put out the minimal effort it takes to pass high school courses, do we want them that bad?  Seriously, its not difficult to earn a 2.0 GPA at any high school in the state. 

al_pigcino

Quote from: IronHog on December 07, 2016, 12:24:30 am

There's more college athletes hanging around bearden than the entire 7A west......except they never go to college.

That's the problem with small schools.  The 82A has a ton of talent (Monta being an example at Hermitage......not Hampton :p) but a 6'5 215lb kid would likely be lineman at that level even if he could throw 85 yards and run a 4.7.  He's just a really fast lineman at that point.  Most of the kids at the 7A level have the ability to play in their "next level" positions. 

Razorbax

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 06, 2016, 04:05:36 pm
Gosh we've never seen this comment. I bet you are the same guy that complains when our recruiting rankings don't look good, like talking out of both sides of your mouth here.... 

We are only taking max 2 rb's a class. We picked up the best RB in state and one of the best, consensus top 5, in the nation in Whaley.

Crockett wasn't a miss.  If he was in the previous class he prolly gets an offer but we just had better. Keep in mind Crockett only flipped from Boise late because of a last minute reach offer by mizzou. Kid performed well and will there given the situation, it doesn't mean this staff failed their job. 

Thanks for telling on yourself.
So Porter was not fought for till the bitter end?

ricepig

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 06, 2016, 11:20:59 pm
I mean, we all know they are ranked #49. We say , "Thank God for Mississippi" and just accept it. When has anyone even dreamed of being top 40 out of 50 states? It's sad, and something should be done about it. But we all know that our rulers want the people dumb, so it won't change.

This has got to be the dumbest thing ever written on here, first, who are the "rulers", and why would/do they want the "people" dumb?

ricepig

Well, I'm not so sure about my previous comment, this may be the dumbest comment ever.....

ricepig

Quote from: Razorbax on December 07, 2016, 07:59:11 am

No, he was, and TJ was a WR/RB/slot guy, so he fit in either position.

Trey1981

Quote from: ARtillahog on December 06, 2016, 01:36:24 pm
So who would you rather have between Whaley, Hammonds, or Crockett?  Bc the Hogs were only taking 2, maybe 3 if they got their wish.

There is no reason we couldn't have taken 3. We were going to take 3 if Kyle Porter had committed instead of going to Texas.  We were also short in handing out scholarships last year.  I like the staff and think that they recruit well.  But it's not hard to see that they missed on Crockett.

ricepig

Quote from: Trey1981 on December 07, 2016, 08:32:38 am
There is no reason we couldn't have taken 3. We were going to take 3 if Kyle Porter had committed instead of going to Texas.  We were also short in handing out scholarships last year.  I like the staff and think that they recruit well.  But it's not hard to see that they missed on Crockett.

So, when we struck out on NSD, or the day before, were we suppose to say, "here's your scholarship Crockett"??

Razorbax

Quote from: ricepig on December 07, 2016, 08:05:29 am
No, he was, and TJ was a WR/RB/slot guy, so he fit in either position.
So we could have taken Crockett...Should we is still in review.

Razorbax

Quote from: ricepig on December 07, 2016, 08:45:23 am
So, when we struck out on NSD, or the day before, were we suppose to say, "here's your scholarship Crockett"??
Worth a shot....I think we have a storied past in offering an instate player at the last minute.

Me Like Hogs

Yes we would have taken Porter if he chose us. He was a higher ranked and thought of RB. It is easy to say our staff missed in hindsight, but at the time Porter was a better prospect.

ricepig

Quote from: Razorbax on December 07, 2016, 09:10:30 am
Worth a shot....I think we have a storied past in offering an instate player at the last minute.

And some who haven't done as well.

Let us remember that Whaley was a last minute get.  He was going elsewhere up to the last minute.

I do not know any of these Kids but I do know that previous coaches (mostly Frank Broyles) would bring in Arkansas Kids to finish out a recruiting year.  They seemed to always play hard and was sooo happy to be a Hog.  If we are going to take a chance on any border line player, I hope that kid is from Arkansas because I believe he will give you everything he has all the time.  Other border line Kids will usually get dejected and leave.  I am not a recruiter.  Based on results, neither are most of our staff.

ricepig

Quote from: 12247 on December 07, 2016, 09:26:46 am
Let us remember that Whaley was a last minute get.  He was going elsewhere up to the last minute.

I do not know any of these Kids but I do know that previous coaches (mostly Frank Broyles) would bring in Arkansas Kids to finish out a recruiting year.  They seemed to always play hard and was sooo happy to be a Hog.  If we are going to take a chance on any border line player, I hope that kid is from Arkansas because I believe he will give you everything he has all the time.  Other border line Kids will usually get dejected and leave.  I am not a recruiter.  Based on results, neither are most of our staff.

Jan 2nd, I guess 1 month ahead of time is last minute.......

Razorbax

Quote from: ricepig on December 07, 2016, 09:24:43 am
And some who haven't done as well.
Sure....But recruiting is, in many cases, a crap shoot. That is why we have an 85 limit while being able to recruit up to 25 per year.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Razorbax on December 07, 2016, 07:59:11 am

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe RD or another source said Hammonds would be pushed to WR if porter came on board.  And looking at how things are shaping up he may still end up there because that kid had to get on the field

onebadrubi

Don't be dumb and naive. Please I beg of you to give us two examples or shut up with this crap

onebadrubi

Again people keep saying this. What did we miss?  We don't need "bodies" at the RB spot. We took tw very talented players and porter was another that was very very good.  We had a Janice so we chased it, had it paned out Hammonds would have been put I a little different situation probably.

Crockett walked in to a great situation for himself and goo for him. That does not mean this staff missed or did not do their job to fullest extent.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Razorbax on December 07, 2016, 09:10:30 am

2 classes ago he would possibly gotten a chance.  We weren't taking a flier on RB and when you have one of the top rb's in the class that is exactly what Crockett is.  I hope the kid runs for 1,000 yards each year at mizzou.

hawgfan4life

So many issues in this thread. 

Coaches aren't the blame for players not being eligible and Coaches at any school including Bearden tend to play the best players they have that give them an opportunity to win.  Sometimes, they put the overall program ahead of potential and players and hold those athletes to a standard they are unwilling to meet.  Over time, some kids will win some games for you, but if they are not of strong character, they will get you beat when the opponent is your equal.  AR may have missed on Crockett but that will not be determined for a while longer.  Crockett didn't impress me at all when MO played AR. 

ricepig

Quote from: hawgfan4life on December 07, 2016, 05:15:54 pm
So many issues in this thread. 

Coaches aren't the blame for players not being eligible and Coaches at any school including Bearden tend to play the best players they have that give them an opportunity to win.  Sometimes, they put the overall program ahead of potential and players and hold those athletes to a standard they are unwilling to meet.  Over time, some kids will win some games for you, but if they are not of strong character, they will get you beat when the opponent is your equal.  AR may have missed on Crockett but that will not be determined for a while longer.  Crockett didn't impress me at all when MO played AR. 

Yeah, since he was suspended, I wasn't impressed with his play at all!

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: ricepig on December 06, 2016, 07:57:17 am
Uh, you said Lottery scholarships, tardo, those only go to in-state students. When you get someone that can qualify for an academic scholarship that can run fast, call up the coaching staff.

lol. you still don't understand.  The lottery scholarships aren't ultra competitive.  They've recently increased the requirements because of the mismanagement of the funds and the decrease in revenue.  The lottery scholarships have only average requirements that most Arkansas kids can meet.

We've given a lot of walk on spots to out of state kids that get burnt when they do get on the field or attempt ST coverage. They may be good teammates and be advanced academically but they can't catch LSU, Auburn, Alabama, Ole Miss Top 100 recruits in the open field.  Lets give some of those chances to in-state kids that have the physical tools and athletic foundations to build up.

Demekko meets the criteria you mentioned.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

tophawg19

I agree Demekko has the natural talent to be on the field in some capacity . he is a strong kid with good speed .

ricepig

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on December 07, 2016, 05:56:04 pm
lol. you still don't understand.  The lottery scholarships aren't ultra competitive.  They've recently increased the requirements because of the mismanagement of the funds and the decrease in revenue.  The lottery scholarships have only average requirements that most Arkansas kids can meet.

We've given a lot of walk on spots to out of state kids that get burnt when they do get on the field or attempt ST coverage. They may be good teammates and be advanced academically but they can't catch LSU, Auburn, Alabama, Ole Miss Top 100 recruits in the open field.  Lets give some of those chances to in-state kids that have the physical tools and athletic foundations to build up.

Demekko meets the criteria you mentioned.

No, you don't get it, Lottery scholarships only go to in-state students, lol. They are $1000 for the first year, these days. I've had two receive them, the first got in on the original, the second on the first reduction. You are correct in that they don't have much of a requirement, lol.

Demeko has a 32 on the ACT and above a 4.0? That might get you a Chancellor's scholarship these days, worth $8000/year, or about 1/2 the costs.

tophawg19

i think he has the ability to be a situational player for us in several areas

HardingHog

Whoever said we don't give walk on opportunities to in-state kids, I know off the top of my head that we had 4 kids (Hobbs, Morgan, Hall, and Brausell) from Arkansas walk on last year. Then there's Gibson who's an instate walk on. Those are just who come to mind. Walking on does require: A) Academics B) Ability to pay your way C) Actually any interest from the staff/and actual preferred walk on offer D) They often have scholarships to schools so that's clearly a better financial and PT option (Cualan)

Does Clark have scholarships anywhere? Any of the D2 schools make contact or anything ever??

IronHog

Quote from: ricepig on December 07, 2016, 08:03:36 am
Well, I'm not so sure about my previous comment, this may be the dumbest comment ever.....

I bet we can go down there and find two linebackers....

IronHog

Quote from: al_pigcino on December 07, 2016, 07:23:32 am
That's the problem with small schools.  The 82A has a ton of talent (Monta being an example at Hermitage......not Hampton :p) but a 6'5 215lb kid would likely be lineman at that level even if he could throw 85 yards and run a 4.7.  He's just a really fast lineman at that point.  Most of the kids at the 7A level have the ability to play in their "next level" positions. 

I've never seen that to be the case.......biggest issue is local culture that puts zero focus on college as a priority.....

People wonder why Warren does so well but if you know these towns it makes sense.....

ricepig

Quote from: IronHog on December 08, 2016, 07:30:18 am

I bet we can go down there and find two linebackers....

Sure, I bet every team down there has a minimum of two linebackers on their defense, of course, that has nothing to do with the statement.

al_pigcino

Quote from: IronHog on December 08, 2016, 07:41:52 am

I've never seen that to be the case.......biggest issue is local culture that puts zero focus on college as a priority.....

People wonder why Warren does so well but if you know these towns it makes sense.....
You actually picked the town I'm from to make a point.  I'm just telling you my personal experience.  I do agree on the college part as priority.  Bearden used to pack the stands no matter what.  One year of missing the playoffs and you have 200 people in the stands instead of 700.  Hampton was the same way for 20+ years.  The only people in the stands were family members or people coming to see the opponent. 

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Letsroll1200

Instate recruiting is not good right now!! We can ignore it if we want to.

ricepig

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on December 08, 2016, 06:51:37 pm

Only because the talent is down, it cycles in Arkansas, we are at a lull at the present moment.

ErieHog

The original post admits it comes from a position of advocacy, which is pretty illustrative of the problem.

These kids go to camps, play ball, and still aren't offered by *any* major program, the problem isn't the major programs, usually.   
No cause, ever, in the history of all mankind, has produced more cold-blooded tyrants, more slaughtered innocents, and more orphans than socialism with power. It surpassed, exponentially, all other systems of production in turning out the dead. The bodies are all around us. And here is the problem: No one talks about them. No one honors them. No one does penance for them. No one has committed suicide for having been an apologist for those who did this to them. No one pays for them. No one is hunted down to account for them. It is exactly what Solzhenitsyn foresaw in The Gulag Archipelago: "No, no one would have to answer. No one would be looked into." Until that happens, there is no "after socialism."

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on December 08, 2016, 06:51:37 pm

Reading RD's column this morning and there was a recruiting event in Little Rock put on by the Coaches' association.  3 out of state schools came Missouri St., NEO and a KS JUCO that I don't recall and pretty much all of the smaller colleges in the state sent coaches.

If I remember correctly there were a couple hundred HS coaches that all brought information on graduating Sr. players and the college coaches were able to meet a ton of coaches, get pitched on athletes, see stats and videos and measurables etc. along with the old school pressing of flesh and networking.

Care to guess who didn't show?  The University of Arkansas.   Not a good look for the fools on the hill. They sure don't cover their bases and dot their I's and cross their T's.

ricepig

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on December 09, 2016, 02:32:34 pm
Reading RD's column this morning and there was a recruiting event in Little Rock put on by the Coaches' association.  3 out of state schools came Missouri St., NEO and a KS JUCO that I don't recall and pretty much all of the smaller colleges in the state sent coaches.

If I remember correctly there were a couple hundred HS coaches that all brought information on graduating Sr. players and the college coaches were able to meet a ton of coaches, get pitched on athletes, see stats and videos and measurables etc. along with the old school pressing of flesh and networking.

Care to guess who didn't show?  The University of Arkansas.   Not a good look for the fools on the hill. They sure don't cover their bases and dot their I's and cross their T's.

I guess the fools in Jonesboro didn't bother to show up either.......but I guess you can't read or comprehend, that we know for sure, because the 3rd paragraph states "Football Bowl Subdivision schools aren't allowed to attend such events, other divisions have no restrictions."