Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I bit again

Started by Piggfoot, December 02, 2016, 01:37:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Piggfoot

I'll not click on another Recruiting post unless the post is about an Arkansas commitment.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Hogberry Snortcake

About Woods, I presume...

Porkyswine

** list of current commits....I agree.  Depressing.

Arthur pigby sellers.

If you really want to figure where a kid is probably going it's not that hard.  You can either read recruiting every day but it's easier and more accurate to keep it simple.  That J'merick kid from Bama was down to us, Miss state and Michigan. Compare program success and 9/10 that's where the kid goes. Michigan is super hot right now with a famous coach.

colbs

Quote from: Porkyswine on December 02, 2016, 03:34:58 pm
You haven't  really posted since 2013(which was all negative) and then show up again to post something else negative. 

pfrg999

Quote from: colbs on December 02, 2016, 04:04:18 pm
You haven't  really posted since 2013(which was all negative) and then show up again to post something else negative. 

Consistency is the key to negativity!!
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

Oklahawg

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on December 02, 2016, 03:51:09 pm
If you really want to figure where a kid is probably going it's not that hard.  You can either read recruiting every day but it's easier and more accurate to keep it simple.  That J'merick kid from Bama was down to us, Miss state and Michigan. Compare program success and 9/10 that's where the kid goes. Michigan is super hot right now with a famous coach.

Well, that, and the fact he was committed to UM for a long time as well.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

a0ashle

Quote from: Piggfoot on December 02, 2016, 01:37:53 pm
I'll not click on another Recruiting post unless the post is about an Arkansas commitment.

If you follow through than good for you for figuring out how to follow this sport in a way that keeps you sane.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 02, 2016, 07:22:35 pm
Well, that, and the fact he was committed to UM for a long time as well.
right? why would he buy the hype on a guy who IS ALREADY COMMITTED ELSEWHERE...?
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Piggfoot

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 03, 2016, 12:53:54 am
right? why would he buy the hype on a guy who IS ALREADY COMMITTED ELSEWHERE...?
Because Davenport has three posts on page one about the kid and a link to his announcement. Why did he need to announce he was committed. BS.  Davenport has lost all credibility with me. Glad I don't pay for it.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Nosboar Accubond

Quote from: Piggfoot on December 03, 2016, 03:29:49 am
Because Davenport has three posts on page one about the kid and a link to his announcement. Why did he need to announce he was committed. BS.  Davenport has lost all credibility with me. Glad I don't pay for it.
So your pissed because Davenport is not a psychic? Got it.

PorkRinds

He's a reporter. He reports things. Things like recruting and announcement ceremonies.

Vantage 8 dude

Well I suppose anyone could read virtually anything into what RD might feature in one of his reports. However, in the end it's his job to highlight kids who might have a legitimate interest in the Hogs. And while I can't speak as to how seriously Woods might or might not considered us, I certainly don't remember Richard "leading us on" and giving us the unmistakable impression the young man was about to flip to us. In the end I would suggest that if you don't like how things are presented and/or you don't want to be possibly disappointed in the recruit's decision that you indeed refrain from following virtually every post on this site. Otherwise you're likely going to continue having a ton of angst when it comes to kid's recruiting decisions. Just the nature of the beast.......

And while we're on the subject I'm personally quite ready to move on from this particular player. The young man has decided to remain firm to his UM commit. Time to say "next" and concentrate on kids who hopefully want to give the Hogs (more than) the time of day.

Oklahawg

If I had a dollar for every recruit who is all skittles and rainbows on RD's radio show and then quickly commits elsewhere...

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Don't dismiss the possibility that as one school props itself up that it inadvertently is downplaying another. So...when MS State is selling itself to Woods something clicks with Woods  - not about MS State but about Arkansas. In this case, not favorably.

hawginbigd1

IMO RD is reading the "tea leaves" just like the rest of us, he just has more information than we do, he is generally measured in his opinions of kids landing spots. He hits and misses just like everyone else. I appreciate all that he provides for us, I personally wished he was more forthcoming with his opinions, but i understand why he doesn't. This was disappointing, not like DGB or Solly, but we swung for the fence and missed, it happens.

OutlawHawg

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 03, 2016, 11:15:21 am
Don't dismiss the possibility that as one school props itself up that it inadvertently is downplaying another. So...when MS State is selling itself to Woods something clicks with Woods  - not about MS State but about Arkansas. In this case, not favorably.

Or that they saw the Hogs lay down against Mizzou and line up a darn bowl again and decided they would rather go to a big time program.

Oklahawg

Quote from: OutlawHawg on December 03, 2016, 12:54:59 pm
Or that they saw the Hogs lay down against Mizzou and line up a darn bowl again and decided they would rather go to a big time program.

No, that is fans who are already committed (for years, usually) to a school. Players tend to obsess about every little thing and a single game is but one data point on the radar.

Not all, though. Maybe Woods really was that impressionable.

JayBell

Seriously, we're managing to be negative about this recruiting class?  This group is loaded with probably the most offensive talent since the recruits Petrino signed his first year and won 25 games with over two years.

There's still not as many linebackers as you'd hope, but Arkansas looks to be bringing in their most talented group of defensive backs this century.  Their impact may not be felt immediately, but it sets up Arkansas in the secondary for several years.

redleg

25?
I think your math is off. He won 21 games between 2010 and 2011. 29 in three years.
And the DB's...the most talented group of DB's were when Batman Carroll signed.
C'mon man!
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: JayBell on December 15, 2016, 09:08:35 am
Seriously, we're managing to be negative about this recruiting class?  This group is loaded with probably the most offensive talent since the recruits Petrino signed his first year and won 25 games with over two years.

There's still not as many linebackers as you'd hope, but Arkansas looks to be bringing in their most talented group of defensive backs this century.  Their impact may not be felt immediately, but it sets up Arkansas in the secondary for several years.

If you don't see legitimate questions about this class then you're just simply not being objective.  While there is some offensive talent for sure, and we should be excited about some of them, there are other issues. 

"There's still not as many LB's as you'd hope" is an understatement.  We have a total of 1 committed.....1 (unless Munson ends up playing LB).  At least he has offers from Ole Miss and Miss St as well. 

"Arkansas looks to be bringing in their most talented group of defensive backs this century"??  Seriously?  Look, Montaric Brown looks to be a stud.  But the other 4 DB's that we have committed have a grand total of 1 SEC offer, not including Arkansas.  If that's a once in a century class then we've a long next century ahead of us.  Hopefully Chevin Calloway makes it to campus. 

Look, if you want to have a rosy outlook, good.  Do it.  It's probably better for your health.  But be reasonable.  This class is lacking in SEC talent.  But many have been saying this for months so it should come as no surprise.

Jim Harris

it's amazing that anyone in Arkansas pays for recruiting news.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Ironhawg

You do realize it's only mid-December right?  Lots of time left.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: JayBell on December 15, 2016, 09:08:35 am

How do you know this is the most talented offensive class since BP?  What's telling you that?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Ironhawg on December 15, 2016, 09:43:24 am

So I'm assuming that you see a significant number of changes to the current commit list then?

Bubba's Bruisers

We say this every year.  Nothing unusual typically happens.  We may get Calloway, but unlikely to get any wow type surprises.  The class you see now will likely be representative of how we finish with the last few commits.  It'll be an average class like we've always done.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Ironhawg

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on December 15, 2016, 09:49:15 am
So I'm assuming that you see a significant number of changes to the current commit list then?

My crystal ball is in the shop so I'm not seeing the future clearly.  What I am saying is that there is still time until signing day.  If we get to the day after signing day and the class hasn't improved?  Then we can talk.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Ironhawg on December 15, 2016, 09:51:25 am
My crystal ball is in the shop so I'm not seeing the future clearly.  What I am saying is that there is still time until signing day.  If we get to the day after signing day and the class hasn't improved?  Then we can talk.

Sure.  But the facts are that this class is about full.  Full of average.  This staff doesn't generally believe in "making room" so, even if the opportunity were to present itself, it is unlikely we would take advantage of it.  Not that we will be in that position.  We rarely are. 

Redhogs

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 03, 2016, 11:14:22 am
If I had a dollar for every recruit who is all skittles and rainbows on RD's radio show and then quickly commits elsewhere...
^^THIS^^
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on December 15, 2016, 09:38:36 am
If you don't see legitimate questions about this class then you're just simply not being objective.  While there is some offensive talent for sure, and we should be excited about some of them, there are other issues. 

"There's still not as many LB's as you'd hope" is an understatement.  We have a total of 1 committed.....1 (unless Munson ends up playing LB).  At least he has offers from Ole Miss and Miss St as well. 

"Arkansas looks to be bringing in their most talented group of defensive backs this century"??  Seriously?  Look, Montaric Brown looks to be a stud.  But the other 4 DB's that we have committed have a grand total of 1 SEC offer, not including Arkansas.  If that's a once in a century class then we've a long next century ahead of us.  Hopefully Chevin Calloway makes it to campus. 

Look, if you want to have a rosy outlook, good.  Do it.  It's probably better for your health.  But be reasonable.  This class is lacking in SEC talent.  But many have been saying this for months so it should come as no surprise.
Building with integrity, the right way. ;) ;) ;)

Redhogs

Left for what? The class is nearly full, will change very little till Feb.

Mr. Porkleone

Signed a few awesome Jucos.  How's that depressing. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on December 15, 2016, 10:23:47 am

That we did.  Martin and Patton have big-time potential.

The_Boot_stops_here

He said "current commits" not juco commits.  Yes, we signed a couple nice juco kids yesterday.  Martin and Patton are big time.

jackflash

can't blame RD  for these kids going elsewhere. we getting offensive players just having a hard time on the defensive side have for along time

Vantage 8 dude

As opposed to signing several unawesome Jucos. Make up your mind: do you want them to be awesome or not? And BTW ultimately who cares whether or not they're jucos as long as they can end up being good players ???

JayBell

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 15, 2016, 09:44:18 amHow do you know this is the most talented offensive class since BP?  What's telling you that?

Hayden and Williams will make for the most highly rated running back duo to sign with Arkansas in the same class since McFadden and Felix Jones.  Hyatt is rated highly just as the other quarterbacks Arkansas has signed in the last 8 years.  Patton, Martin and Nance are three of the highest-rated JUCO receivers and tight ends.  Then the class has a bevy of athletes, including several who can play multiple positions on offense: Barnes, Koilan Jackson, Barkley, Warren, etc.

Just by sheer numbers, it's the best offensive class since 2008.  All three of the offensive linemen, the quarterback and the JUCO players are in line to enroll early.  It's a great class on offense.

southeasthog

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on December 15, 2016, 10:08:13 am
Sure.  But the facts are that this class is about full.  Full of average. 
Reported to Mod for recruit bashing.

JayBell

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on December 15, 2016, 09:38:36 amIf you don't see legitimate questions about this class then you're just simply not being objective.  While there is some offensive talent for sure, and we should be excited about some of them, there are other issues.

LOL at you lecturing anyone about "not being objective."

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on December 15, 2016, 09:38:36 am"There's still not as many LB's as you'd hope" is an understatement.  We have a total of 1 committed.....1 (unless Munson ends up playing LB).  At least he has offers from Ole Miss and Miss St as well.

I have been as critical as anyone about Arkansas' inability to sign quality linebackers.  It continues to be a problem.  If they finish with one linebacker commitment, then panic.  And it looks like they want to convert one of the safety commits to linebacker.  Worked out pretty well with Greenlaw.

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on December 15, 2016, 09:38:36 am"Arkansas looks to be bringing in their most talented group of defensive backs this century"??  Seriously?  Look, Montaric Brown looks to be a stud.  But the other 4 DB's that we have committed have a grand total of 1 SEC offer, not including Arkansas.  If that's a once in a century class then we've a long next century ahead of us.  Hopefully Chevin Calloway makes it to campus.

So a player recruited by almost every school in the Big 10 is a nobody because Kentucky was the only SEC team to offer him?  Nebraska, Michigan State, Kansas State, West Virginia, USF and Wisconsin are just nobodies.

The DBs they're bringing in are built more for the part and are more athletic than any class Arkansas has signed since Carroll's class. Batman's year may stay the best, but this is a quality group.

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on December 15, 2016, 09:38:36 amLook, if you want to have a rosy outlook, good.  Do it.  It's probably better for your health.  But be reasonable.  This class is lacking in SEC talent.  But many have been saying this for months so it should come as no surprise.

Look, if you want to be a curmudgeon, good.  Do it.  It's probably better for your ego.  But be reasonable.  This class is in line to Bielema's best-rated so far at Arkansas.  His coaching mantra is built on finding diamonds in the rough.  So while many of his highly rated recruits have made an impact in his tenure, others have been surprises too.  But many have been saying this for years, so it should come as no surprise.

Ironhawg

Hey I have concerns about the program.  I'm just trying to stay positive.  This thread makes it unanimous.  If you try to be positive you get attacked.  If you are negative you get attacked.  Guess it's best to just keep my thoughts to myself.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: southeasthog on December 15, 2016, 11:56:36 am
Reported to Mod for recruit bashing.

lol. Thanks for the heads up

Biggus Piggus

Oops, I bit it again. Isn't that a Britney song?
[CENSORED]!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 15, 2016, 12:43:04 pm
Oops, I bit it again. Isn't that a Britney song?
You might be confusing her with Lorena Bobbitt who cut "one" off with a knife back in the day.  ;) :) 8) :P

Oklahawg

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on December 15, 2016, 09:38:36 am

Some pessimists have sand in their snatch. You have one of those dirt tampers used on pitcher's mounds at good baseball parks, and use it to cram as much sand in your mangina as possible. I don't know that we have a poster who combines being ill-informed, lacking savvy about the sport, disinterested in civil discussion, AND a tendency to leap off the nearest ledge at every hint of bad news. I honestly don't know the last time I read one of your posts and felt, "gosh, what a well-reasoned post on this topic."

There is this shrill chirping about being "almost full" at the same time there is a drone of "lost a player we wanted/needed." We offer kids in the spring of their junior year, accept commitments, and have them locked down. That isn't good enough (if they prove they can't play in 5 years the coach will be gone by then and you'll be whining about the next coach). If we sign a 4-star stud that isn't good enough because there aren't enough of them.

Jesus, you act like the gal who thought having their order number called at the counter of McDonalds makes them prom queen - self-important and impossible to be around.

This forum has clear guidelines: civil debate can be honest, but incessant beefing about the players who we are trying to recruit, and disrespecting those already committed, has no place here. We can arrange for a refund of your HV dues and you can go pay to b!tch elsewhere.