Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Only 19 commits according to Bielema on today's teleconference.

Started by ricepig, November 23, 2016, 12:22:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Apparently we only have 19 according to the staff, and the missing one isn't Patton. So, he isn't on the list anymore?

Also we won't sign 25 just to sign 25, he will more more than likely keep one for a grad transfer.

colbs

How do you know it's not Patton?  I seen he is visiting USC-W this weekend so I wasn't sure if they weren't going to "consider" him a commit maybe?

ricepig

Quote from: colbs on November 23, 2016, 12:45:10 pm
How do you know it's not Patton?  I seen he is visiting USC-W this weekend so I wasn't sure if they weren't going to "consider" him a commit maybe?

It was confirmed by two recruiting guys that it wasn't Patton. The staff is OK with his visit, so that's how I "know".

colbs

Quote from: ricepig on November 23, 2016, 12:49:54 pm
It was confirmed by two recruiting guys that it wasn't Patton. The staff is OK with his visit, so that's how I "know".
Oh okay.  I wasn't saying you were wrong I was just curious.  I haven't kept up with recruiting as much this year.  I knew they told Hayden they wouldn't consider him a commit if he visited Michigan. 

ricepig

Quote from: colbs on November 23, 2016, 12:57:04 pm
Oh okay.  I wasn't saying you were wrong I was just curious.  I haven't kept up with recruiting as much this year.  I knew they told Hayden they wouldn't consider him a commit if he visited Michigan. 

Yep, but apparently they were OK with Patton going on this trip.

Hollywood870

nwahogfan1

the way I understand it Patton will have to take an extra course this spring to be SEC eligible and would be able to come to campus till the summer if he came here.  It looks like he will not be coming here.

I have no idea who the other recruit is.

jackflash

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on November 23, 2016, 10:52:09 pm
the way I understand it Patton will have to take an extra course this spring to be SEC eligible and would be able to come to campus till the summer if he came here.  It looks like he will not be coming here.

I have no idea who the other recruit is.

That would suck. There are a few guys on the list who I wouldn't mind "finding other opportunities" but Patton is not one of them.

Arthur pigby sellers.

I think they really need to start filling our classes as much as possible. We don't recruit well enough to have that high of a hit rate.

jackflash

Like always they need to finish with some defensive players. If the could land Calloway or Brown at db another LB and a couple of DL this wouldn't be a bad class

Bubba's Bruisers

OL recruiting has sucked the last couple years too.  We need a couple more in this class.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

jackflash

Bubba understand the need for offensive lineman. But to get where we all want upgrading the defense is a greater need I think

Love those Hogs

It's as big a need for sure, but wouldn't say bigger.  Our Oline was less than spectacular this season.
Hogs 4 Life!

farmhawg

Quote from: ricepig on November 23, 2016, 12:22:25 pm
Apparently we only have 19 according to the staff, and the missing one isn't Patton. So, he isn't on the list anymore?

Also we won't sign 25 just to sign 25, he will more more than likely keep one for a grad transfer.
Yep, holding those scholarships has worked out very well.....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: farmhawg on November 27, 2016, 01:44:50 pm
Yep, holding those scholarships has worked out very well.....

It certainly hasn't worked well.  It's been a sign of striking out quite a bit.  But even so, still best not to sign just to get bodies.  BB definitely shows some Nuttesq type traits, but his isn't one of them.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 27, 2016, 02:02:22 pm
It certainly hasn't worked well.  It's been a sign of striking out quite a bit.  But even so, still best not to sign just to get bodies.  BB definitely shows some Nuttesq type traits, but his isn't one of them.

Holding scholies has worked rather well. Brito Tutt got hurt in fall camp or he'd have given us some flexibility in the backend of the secondary. Michael Taylor is redshirting and could be the speed DE we have been missing.

Raulerson was a savior at OG until we could get others up-to-speed. Cam Jefferson a few years ago was another who contributed as a grad signee. They don't count against the 25 cap in this class but they do count against the 85 for the program. Those numbers have to be managed together.

That would seem to be better than last minute hail mary's on HS kids.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Bubba's Bruisers

November 27, 2016, 05:56:47 pm #17 Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 06:15:18 pm by Bubba's Bruisers
Quote from: Oklahawg on November 27, 2016, 05:43:17 pm
Holding scholies has worked rather well. Brito Tutt got hurt in fall camp or he'd have given us some flexibility in the backend of the secondary. Michael Taylor is redshirting and could be the speed DE we have been missing.

Raulerson was a savior at OG until we could get others up-to-speed. Cam Jefferson a few years ago was another who contributed as a grad signee. They don't count against the 25 cap in this class but they do count against the 85 for the program. Those numbers have to be managed together.

I clearly said signing bodies for the sake of filling the class is ill advised.  But, and I know it's difficult, let's cut back on the koolaid at least a bit.  Recruiting has been on par with previous administrations.  Nothing special.  I don't buy for a second that holding so many back each year is the plan.  I could see 1 each year to keep in the back pocket.  Primarily, We whiff on a bunch of the big boys at the end, and as a result, don't fill the class.  But make no mistake, they wanted to fill those slots on signing day.  And some of your examples probably never come to fruition is we were filling classes with SEC talent in the first place.  I assure you the staff didn't plan to sign just 6 OL in the past 2 classes with I think 3 being JUCO.  That's just missing on recruiting targets, or someone just can't count.  It's why we were desperate for Raulerson and why we moved the Dane to an immediate starter from the DL.  not good.

It's why, IMO, we are now seeing an obvious shift in recruiting strategy this class.  Going for the low hanging fruit right from the beginning...most don't have many options.  Not really messing around with the bigger names who may flirt with us, but who almost definitely won't sign with us. 

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 26, 2016, 09:20:46 am
OL recruiting has sucked the last couple years too. We need a couple more in this class.

Im ok with that..get an recruit for the DL as well while u are at it....
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: HawgnCorona on November 27, 2016, 06:43:11 pm
Im ok with that..get an recruit for the DL as well while u are at it....

Would love to get at least one true pass rushing end.  Doubt it happens, though.  I bet we finish the class a couple short of the number again. 

Oklahawg

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 27, 2016, 05:56:47 pm
I clearly said signing bodies for the sake of filling the class is ill advised.  But, and I know it's difficult, let's cut back on the koolaid at least a bit.  Recruiting has been on par with previous administrations.  Nothing special.  I don't buy for a second that holding so many back each year is the plan.  I could see 1 each year to keep in the back pocket.  Primarily, We whiff on a bunch of the big boys at the end, and as a result, don't fill the class.  But make no mistake, they wanted to fill those slots on signing day.  And some of your examples probably never come to fruition is we were filling classes with SEC talent in the first place.  I assure you the staff didn't plan to sign just 6 OL in the past 2 classes with I think 3 being JUCO.  That's just missing on recruiting targets, or someone just can't count.  It's why we were desperate for Raulerson and why we moved the Dane to an immediate starter from the DL.  not good.

It's why, IMO, we are now seeing an obvious shift in recruiting strategy this class.  Going for the low hanging fruit right from the beginning...most don't have many options.  Not really messing around with the bigger names who may flirt with us, but who almost definitely won't sign with us. 

I have posted numerous times on the OL recruiting situation. Not optimal, but there is a reasoned explanation. If you want to read it.

And you are suggesting that the staff purposefully is under-recruiting?  Wow.

What I've pulled from careful reading is that Paul Rhoads and Dan Enos have convinced CBB that the team needs more speed and to target players who fit the bill.  CBB also got burned by funny business on a couple of recruits last year and may not want to go through that again.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 27, 2016, 05:43:17 pm

What would be optimal would be not striking out to the point that we're either reaching for "last minute hail mary's" on HS kids and not having to scrounge for diamond in the rough grad transfers.
   Tutt might have given us flexibility but would he have been any help?  Who knows but we know basically know no one else wanted him. Taylor is also an unknown that no one else wanted. Raulerson was an absolute disaster and Jefferson wasn't much better.
   The point is, whether it be HS kids of grad transfers, more real talent is a must to take a step forward.

ricepig

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on November 27, 2016, 08:35:47 pm
   What would be optimal would be not striking out to the point that we're either reaching for "last minute hail mary's" on HS kids and not having to scrounge for diamond in the rough grad transfers.
   Tutt might have given us flexibility but would he have been any help?  Who knows but we know basically know one else wanted him. Taylor is also an unknown that no one else wanted. Raulerson was an absolute disaster and Jefferson wasn't much better.
   The point is, whether it be HS kids of grad transfers, more real talent is a must to take a step forward.

Glad you don't comment on the coaching staff like you do the players, lol.

Scott7703

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 27, 2016, 08:01:54 pm
I have posted numerous times on the OL recruiting situation. Not optimal, but there is a reasoned explanation. If you want to read it.

What I've pulled from careful reading is that Paul Rhoads and Dan Enos have convinced CBB that the team needs more speed and to target players who fit the bill.  CBB also got burned by funny business on a couple of recruits last year and may not want to go through that again.

There is no reason we shouldn't be signing full classes. It hasn't worked regardless of how you or anyone else wants to spin it. It falls directly on CBB and the others on staff. You mentioned 2-3 players above who haven't contributed at all as justification. We are in the shape we are in because our recruiting has been terrible over the last 4 years. Offensive line recruiting has been awful and it shows. We haven't signed an impact linebacker (other than greenlaw who played safety in high school) and have failed in signing impact guys at safety. As far as the defensive line goes, I believe we have talent there but our coaching is terrible. We can't even get players in the right spot on the field.

Now, what's the answer? That I don't know other than better evaluating and upgrading our staff. We will never recruit with Bama, Florida, LSU, auburn, Georgia, ect but should be in the 17-25 range every year and do a better job at developing players. Do I believe CBB can get it done? I do, if he realizes the need to upgrade the staff and goes out and adds the right pieces. We can't afford to replace coaches with, KA type hires.

This off season will be pivotal for the future of CBB and the program. Need to close well in recruiting and upgrade our staff.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: ricepig on November 27, 2016, 08:36:55 pm
Glad you don't comment on the coaching staff like you do the players, lol.

Why?  They're the ones recruiting these kids. You don't have to read between the lines. And by the way, what part would you disagree with, specifically?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 27, 2016, 08:01:54 pm

They are recruiting what they think they can get.  Not wasting their time on the top talent unless there's a real shot with them.  Like Calloway.  But Not many of those.  Spin it all you want,but the classes aren't very good.  But relax, I don't really blame BB.  he's not a miracle worker.  We aren't an attractive program to legit talent.  BB gets it I think.

And I'd love to hear the reason for the less than optimal approach to OL recruiting.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Scott7703 on November 27, 2016, 08:39:22 pm

There is no reason we shouldn't be signing full classes. It hasn't worked regardless of how you or anyone else wants to spin it. It falls directly on CBB and the others on staff. You mentioned 2-3 players above who haven't contributed at all as justification. We are in the shape we are in because our recruiting has been terrible over the last 4 years. Offensive line recruiting has been awful and it shows. We haven't signed an impact linebacker (other than greenlaw who played safety in high school) and have failed in signing impact guys at safety. As far as the defensive line goes, I believe we have talent there but our coaching is terrible. We can't even get players in the right spot on the field.

Now, what's the answer? That I don't know other than better evaluating and upgrading our staff. We will never recruit with Bama, Florida, LSU, auburn, Georgia, ect but should be in the 17-25 range every year and do a better job at developing players. Do I believe CBB can get it done? I do, if he realizes the need to upgrade the staff and goes out and adds the right pieces. We can't afford to replace coaches with, KA type hires.

This off season will be pivotal for the future of CBB and the program. Need to close well in recruiting and upgrade our staff.

Not terrible.  Just average at best...like the program in general.  Very typical historically.  The spin that BB is measurably improving recruiting is dishonest.  Again, though, BB has practically a monumental task.  The next guy isn't going to measurably improve recruiting either.  I just don't know why it's so difficult to admit it.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 27, 2016, 06:54:26 pm
Would love to get at least one true pass rushing end.  Doubt it happens, though.  I bet we finish the class a couple short of the number again. 

That is probably the case as it has been in the past...But I wouldnt mind seeing another DT/NG like Agim that can disrupt things in the middle. So long as we address our needs on that side of the line Im good with that.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Airforcehawg

Did we lose Ryder Anderson? Picked up 2 Crystal Ball predictions to Ol piss...maybe that is the one commit in question.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Airforcehawg on November 27, 2016, 10:02:49 pm
Did we lose Ryder Anderson? Picked up 2 Crystal Ball predictions to Ol piss...maybe that is the one commit in question.

His is a name that never seems to get mentioned...anywhere. So, makes sense + we are still chasing several DEs.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 27, 2016, 09:11:56 pm

And I'd love to hear the reason for the less than optimal approach to OL recruiting.

I'll save you a search.

Pittman targeted a handful of recruits he liked. If we whiffed, we whiffed. He had Boiles (Utah JUCO OT, now at Utah) ready to sign at semester when Sam jumped to join Chaney at UGA. He also had us down for a visit with Hudson (#1 OT from TX, eventually inked with Baylor, but released from his LOI and landed at UT). Might never have had Hudson but a visit is a step in the right direction. We were also chasing a lineman in FL whose name escapes me (so I don't count him - may not be a legit name to toss around).

Anderson is hired and Boiles and Hudson bolt. Pittman had Malone in his hip pocket as a back-up plan but we needed bodies so we offered. Probably knee jerk, given that Malone played right under the nose of Mullen and Freeze and didn't get an offer from either. But, we needed someone and he signed on. Project, to say the least. Paul Ramirez was similarly overlooked by Pac 12 schools while playing in a CA JUCO. Maybe academics is a factor? Pac 12 academics are stellar, and SEC standards are not-so-stellar.

Anderson helped us gain three solid, not sure if beyond that, OL guys as mid-year guys this year. We are still chasing a good JUCO and two good HS talents. Not sure if we'd sign 5 but that would make HV happy.

One of the great fallacies in recruiting is that you can alter years of ground work and have it work well.  Unless the staff as a whole is well-connected with a recruit a change in position coach can really hurt your chances. You are upgrading staff for the on-field results the next fall and recruiting the next two cycles.

This is one reason why I love the fact we recruit with a boatload of assistants doing in-home visits: the departure of one is minimized by the others in the room.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 27, 2016, 11:28:12 pm
I'll save you a search.

Pittman targeted a handful of recruits he liked. If we whiffed, we whiffed. He had Boiles (Utah JUCO OT, now at Utah) ready to sign at semester when Sam jumped to join Chaney at UGA. He also had us down for a visit with Hudson (#1 OT from TX, eventually inked with Baylor, but released from his LOI and landed at UT). Might never have had Hudson but a visit is a step in the right direction. We were also chasing a lineman in FL whose name escapes me (so I don't count him - may not be a legit name to toss around).

Anderson is hired and Boiles and Hudson bolt. Pittman had Malone in his hip pocket as a back-up plan but we needed bodies so we offered. Probably knee jerk, given that Malone played right under the nose of Mullen and Freeze and didn't get an offer from either. But, we needed someone and he signed on. Project, to say the least. Paul Ramirez was similarly overlooked by Pac 12 schools while playing in a CA JUCO. Maybe academics is a factor? Pac 12 academics are stellar, and SEC standards are not-so-stellar.

Anderson helped us gain three solid, not sure if beyond that, OL guys as mid-year guys this year. We are still chasing a good JUCO and two good HS talents. Not sure if we'd sign 5 but that would make HV happy.

One of the great fallacies in recruiting is that you can alter years of ground work and have it work well.  Unless the staff as a whole is well-connected with a recruit a change in position coach can really hurt your chances. You are upgrading staff for the on-field results the next fall and recruiting the next two cycles.

This is one reason why I love the fact we recruit with a boatload of assistants doing in-home visits: the departure of one is minimized by the others in the room.

Old news.  I get it and agree, but it doesn't change my point.  We've whiffed.  It happens.  It's THE reason the OL is in the shape it's in.  It's why we've seemingly always had 2 or 3 scholies left over in each class.  I think it's also THE reason we aren't taking any chances with numbers on the OL.  Are taking what we can get early now.  Not holding out for top talent.  Maybe that changes when we get somewhat back up to speed, but I believe right now the numbers are a major issue and driving decisions.

WooPig90

Quote from: Airforcehawg on November 27, 2016, 10:02:49 pm

That is what i heard

jackflash

Hope we kept Anderson can't afford to lose DL. We don't get many

WooPig90

Quote from: jackflash on November 28, 2016, 09:13:42 am
Hope we kept Anderson can't afford to lose DL. We don't get many

There's a reason we arent "keeping" him

RazorPiggie

Not a big loss there. Was definitely going to be a project player to begin with. Now time to go get some of those JUCO DEs that we are on.

The_Iceman

Quote from: RazorPiggie on November 28, 2016, 10:09:33 am
Not a big loss there. Was definitely going to be a project player to begin with. Now time to go get some of those JUCO DEs that we are on.

Yeah, he was a 2-3 year project. Could use more immediate impact at DE.

The_Boot_stops_here

Fine with me.  If you can't start on your HS team, we can do better.

havok

Quote from: ricepig on November 28, 2016, 10:02:58 am
https://twitter.com/Shadid13/status/803267658057596928

Some kids just flat out don't like playing in Bowl games.. so they will go to extremes to ensure they are home for the holidays.  So, with the NCAA investigators making a base camp in Oxford.. no telling if Ole Miss will see a bowl game in his time there.

ricepig

Quote from: havok on November 28, 2016, 10:42:45 am
Some kids just flat out don't like playing in Bowl games.. so they will go to extremes to ensure they are home for the holidays.  So, with the NCAA investigators making a base camp in Oxford.. no telling if Ole Miss will see a bowl game in his time there.

He needed another home, it works out for us and the player.

jdlittle

arkansas recruits about like they finish in the sec.   recruiting rankings are usually 11, 12 or 13-out of 14 schools.  that is about where we rank in our finish this year.   Recruiting rankings do matter,   rose colored glasses say   Oh we develop them----bs !!!    everyone develops players.   I know all arkansas disadvantages why they cant recruit.   However, Track and Baseball must not have gotten the message.    People recruit and we slam assistant coaches the minute they leave, but Pittman could recruit,  not per me, but by those recruiting experts.     look forward to seeing the improved recruiting rankings this year, if we are to improve !!!

ricepig

Quote from: jdlittle on November 28, 2016, 11:11:40 am
arkansas recruits about like they finish in the sec.   recruiting rankings are usually 11, 12 or 13-out of 14 schools.  that is about where we rank in our finish this year.   Recruiting rankings do matter,   rose colored glasses say   Oh we develop them----bs !!!    everyone develops players.   I know all arkansas disadvantages why they cant recruit.   However, Track and Baseball must not have gotten the message.    People recruit and we slam assistant coaches the minute they leave, but Pittman could recruit,  not per me, but by those recruiting experts.     look forward to seeing the improved recruiting rankings this year, if we are to improve !!!

Sometimes we finish above our rankings, sometimes not, but it really hasn't changed since we came into the SEC in 1992.

colbs

Quote from: jdlittle on November 28, 2016, 11:11:40 am
When has Arkansas ever finished 11th, 12th, or 13th in the league in recruiting?

Wildhog

Quote from: colbs on November 28, 2016, 12:23:11 pm
When has Arkansas ever finished 11th, 12th, or 13th in the league in recruiting?

Last year we were 12th
2015- 11th
2014- 11th
2013- 12th
2012- 12th
2011- 9th
2010- 10th
2009- 7th
2008- 9th
2007- 9th
2006- 9th
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on November 28, 2016, 12:35:32 pm
Last year we were 12th
2015- 11th
2014- 11th
2013- 12th
2012- 12th
2011- 9th
2010- 10th
2009- 7th
2008- 9th
2007- 9th
2006- 9th

The years before 2012 there were only 12 teams in the league.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: RazorPiggie on November 28, 2016, 10:09:33 am

Oh goodie, just what we needed to be offering.  Defensive projects.

colbs

Quote from: Wildhog on November 28, 2016, 12:35:32 pm
Last year we were 12th
2015- 11th
2014- 11th
2013- 12th
2012- 12th
2011- 9th
2010- 10th
2009- 7th
2008- 9th
2007- 9th
2006- 9th
Crazy that you can be ranked in the top 25 but at the bottom of your league.  By the way I was looking at 247 rankings which had the 2013 &2016 at 9th. 

Wildhog

Quote from: colbs on November 28, 2016, 03:44:22 pm
Crazy that you can be ranked in the top 25 but at the bottom of your league.  By the way I was looking at 247 rankings which had the 2013 &2016 at 9th. 

Yeah it's nuts.
1909/1964/1965/1977