Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

In light of the Ole Miss story, a question.

Started by Deep Shoat, May 27, 2016, 02:56:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you trade major sanctions from the NCAA against our FB program for a national title?

SMU me, baby!  I just want one more NC before I die!
13 (3.7%)
Not to the extent of the Death Penalty, but I'll take what USC got.
49 (13.8%)
As long as the penalties are not too extreme.  I think it's the only way we can win one.
42 (11.8%)
No.  Character matters more than championships.  If we can't get one the right way, I don't want it.
251 (70.7%)

Total Members Voted: 353

Deep Shoat

Be real.  I know these aren't scientific, but I like to see the pulse of our community.
All Gas, No Brakes!

DLUXHOG

simple answer is, we're a "do it the right way" fan base............
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Sed76

If Ole Miss gets nothing more than a slap on the wrist after all this I say let the Jones, Walton and Tyson family open the checkbooks to get us some 5 stars.

PorkSoda

to me its worthless if you don't do it the right way.  I believe you can win doing it the right way, but its a lot harder.  but few things worth doing are easy.

we have been very close a few times in the last 2 decades.  eventually, with a little luck and a lot of hard work, we will win another one.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

longpig

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 27, 2016, 03:39:48 pm
to me its worthless if you don't do it the right way.  I believe you can win doing it the right way, but its a lot harder.  but few things worth doing are easy.

we have been very close a few times in the last 2 decades.  eventually, with a little luck and a lot of hard work, we will win another one.

things that are easy and worth doing

1) hating the Longhorns
Don't be scared, be smart.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: longpig on May 27, 2016, 03:43:46 pm

1) hating the Longhorns
1)B. Despising the Aggies.

WilsonHog

Let's suppose we cheated and won a national title. What did we prove?

No, thanks. If we do it the right way and never win a national title, I can live with it.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: WilsonHog on May 27, 2016, 04:09:33 pm

No, thanks. If we do it the right way and never win a national title, I can live with it.
I totally agree. Consider too that for many (most?) the thing that they'll remember more than the NC is the fact you were "dirty". IMO the likely cost wouldn't ever justify the cheating.

clutch

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on May 27, 2016, 04:13:39 pm
I totally agree. Consider too that for many (most?) the thing that they'll remember more than the NC is the fact you were "dirty". IMO the likely cost wouldn't ever justify the cheating.

And you are labeled a dirty program forever. If you ever do win one the right way they still say you cheated.

HogPharmer

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Justifiable Hogicide

I prefer to celebrate our Razorback accomplishments not worrying that underneath we are scumbags (like Hugh Freeze/Ole Miss).
Stay clean.

Rison Razor Hog

Quote from: longpig on May 27, 2016, 03:43:46 pm

1) hating the Longhorns

I laughed so hard, and I completely agree!  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown::
And on my deathbed, I'll achieve total consciousness, so I've got that goin' for me!

To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin: Billions for defense, but not one cent for dhimmitude!

Torqued pork

There's so much money in college football these days I wouldn't feel even a small amount of outrage if it came to light Hog football has been less than pure with or without a NC.

HappyFan

If you have to cheat to win, did you really win?  #uncommon  :razorback:

Music City Hog

Quote from: HappyFan on May 27, 2016, 05:21:16 pm

Yes

ricepig

Nope

phadedhawg

It would be very deflating to win a title and have it stricken from the record books.  Even though we would have experienced it, it would be very hollow in the years to come. 

TheRazorback500

I wouldn't want an NC if I had to be mentioned in the same sentence with hotty totty scum. I want to win the right way, and I think Coach B can do it.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

TomasPistola

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on May 27, 2016, 05:38:36 pm
I wouldn't want an NC if I had to be mentioned in the same sentence with hotty totty scum. I want to win the right way, and I think Coach B can do it.

:razorback:

We wouldn't. They cheated and haven't even made it to Atlanta.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

bennyl08

Depends a lot on the cheating that occurs. If you are having to deflate balls, buy the refs, taking performance enhancing drugs, then you are changing what happens on the course of the field and whether you truly beat the other team comes into question.

However, paying players or covering up drug tests changes what level of talent you can recruit or keep, but game itself is fair and square. For example, the auburn victory over the hogs in 2010 came at the result of cheating refs. Their victory over us is questionable. Ohio State's victory over us in the sugar bowl, their talent flat out beat our talent. Now, they did not follow the rules in collecting and being able to keep said talent, but they were the more talented team on the field that day (though not by much).
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

clutch

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 27, 2016, 06:17:28 pm
Depends a lot on the cheating that occurs. If you are having to deflate balls, buy the refs, taking performance enhancing drugs, then you are changing what happens on the course of the field and whether you truly beat the other team comes into question.

However, paying players or covering up drug tests changes what level of talent you can recruit or keep, but game itself is fair and square. For example, the auburn victory over the hogs in 2010 came at the result of cheating refs. Their victory over us is questionable. Ohio State's victory over us in the sugar bowl, their talent flat out beat our talent. Now, they did not follow the rules in collecting and being able to keep said talent, but they were the more talented team on the field that day (though not by much).

Half of the game in college athletics is recruiting. So even though the game itself starts with a 0-0 score, it's hardly fair and square if one of the teams is drawing in top talent by illegal means and the other is trying to do it by the rules.

BearsBisonsBoars

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: clutch on May 27, 2016, 10:23:39 pm
Half of the game in college athletics is recruiting. So even though the game itself starts with a 0-0 score, it's hardly fair and square if one of the teams is drawing in top talent by illegal means and the other is trying to do it by the rules.
This. And it's one of the main reasons why I prefer college ball to the pros.

bennyl08

Quote from: clutch on May 27, 2016, 10:23:39 pm

No doubt, but it's one of those things where I'd still say that such and such was the best team in the country. They just didn't amass that team in a legal manner.

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on May 27, 2016, 11:15:51 pm
This. And it's one of the main reasons why I prefer college ball to the pros.

Wouldn't that be the exact opposite though? Because in the NFL, there isn't illegal ways to 'recruit' players. Well, other than talking to the player before you are supposed to like the Chiefs did. 'Recruiting' in the NFL is arguably way more important than in college even.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

gmarv

no
Quote from: WilsonHog on May 27, 2016, 04:09:33 pm

this says it for me. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

greenie

a0ashle

Quote from: greenie on May 28, 2016, 09:02:07 am
The right way.
Not the millennial way.

Yeah it's those millenial boosters and coaches who keep cheating.

KlubhouseKonnected

More likely we would end up busted and empty handed like
Ole Miss. All that cheating and all that lying and not even a trip to the SECCG.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

WilsonHog

A good friend of mine is a Baylor alum, a huge football fan, and a writer. This morning, she wrote, " Baylor is mine. That beautiful campus and the surrounding area holds great memories for me. I came from a super small town, a rural area in Northeast Arkansas. Once I drove across the Brazos River, Baylor became my Narnia—an expanded world filled with endless experiences. So different from high school. So different from home."

I feel similarly about UA. My feelings about my alma mater will never be tied to what kind of football season we have.

lefty08

Quote from: WilsonHog on May 28, 2016, 10:15:20 am
A good friend of mine is a Baylor alum, a huge football fan, and a writer. This morning, she wrote, " Baylor is mine. That beautiful campus and the surrounding area holds great memories for me. I came from a super small town, a rural area in Northeast Arkansas. Once I drove across the Brazos River, Baylor became my Narnia—an expanded world filled with endless experiences. So different from high school. So different from home."

I feel similarly about UA. My feelings about my alma mater will never be tied to what kind of football season we have.

Amen wilson
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

SamBuckhart

Quote from: WilsonHog on May 28, 2016, 10:15:20 am

Homecoming is my "border line erotic". Ok, beating Texass and Lsux with blowout wins starts me undulating too.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

greenie

Quote from: a0ashle on May 28, 2016, 09:56:22 am
Yeah it's those millenial boosters and coaches who keep cheating.
I'm responding to those on this site. Probably not many cheating boosters or coaches on HV, but plenty of millenials that love the reward whether it was earned or not.

clutch

Quote from: greenie on May 28, 2016, 11:35:04 am
I'm responding to those on this site. Probably not many cheating boosters or coaches on HV, but plenty of millenials that love the reward whether it was earned or not.

Plenty of non-millenials too. Boomers are always trying to place all the blame on the millenials. They tend to forget that they are the ones who've been running the country now for a while and have it in the most messed up situation that it's been in for a long time.

ricepig

Quote from: clutch on May 28, 2016, 12:06:38 pm
Plenty of non-millenials too. Boomers are always trying to place all the blame on the millenials. They tend to forget that they are the ones who've been running the country now for a while and have it in the most messed up situation that it's been in for a long time.

That's because we're having to pay for our millennial's living in our basements.

Prestworthy

Who really thinks we aren't cheating, on some level, right now? Honestly. I bet we have bag men and make use of them when needed.

lefty08

Quote from: ricepig on May 28, 2016, 12:15:51 pm
That's because we're having to pay for our millennial's living in our basements.

Boom
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

lefty08

Quote from: Prestworthy on May 28, 2016, 12:27:19 pm
Who really thinks we aren't cheating, on some level, right now? Honestly. I bet we have bag men and make use of them when needed.

100 handshakes, sure. They do that at Louisiana tech

Paying for meals and hotels on visits for groups of 10?  We don't do that. Fixing act scores, we don't so that either.

Ole miss excuse that everyone is doing it is lame and it's gonna get them the hammer

PonderinHog

Is there such a thing as a detached basement ???

Prestworthy

Quote from: lefty08 on May 28, 2016, 01:26:14 pm

Paying for meals and hotels on visits for groups of 10?  We don't do that. Fixing act scores, we don't so that either.

Ole miss excuse that everyone is doing it is lame and it's gonna get them the hammer
I know it's our duty to say we're squeaky clean, but we are in the SEC. I'd be willing to bet we do our share. We just haven't been relevant enough to bring a spotlight. JMO

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Prestworthy on May 28, 2016, 01:30:29 pm
I know it's our duty to say we're squeaky clean, but we are in the SEC. I'd be willing to bet we do our share. We just haven't been relevant enough to bring a spotlight. JMO
You are wrong.

As lefty said, a few dollars cross hands here and there.  But we aren't spending thousands on cars and apartments.
All Gas, No Brakes!

clutch

Shouldn't have enabled them. You give them the choice then of course they are going to take the easy road.

bennyl08

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 28, 2016, 01:40:49 pm
You are wrong.

As lefty said, a few dollars cross hands here and there.  But we aren't spending thousands on cars and apartments.

So I take it you voted cheating is fine so long as it isn't too bad?

Deep Shoat

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 28, 2016, 02:30:04 pm
So I take it you voted cheating is fine so long as it isn't too bad?
I voted that character is more important than winning.  But I'm not stupid enough to believe no one ever gets a thrill from giving a kid a few bucks under the table.

Recognizing the truth isn't the same as condoning it.  Homosexuals are a growing part of the world population.  Truth.  But I still believe it is wrong.
All Gas, No Brakes!

lefty08

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 28, 2016, 02:38:19 pm
I voted that character is more important than winning.  But I'm not stupid enough to believe no one ever gets a thrill from giving a kid a few bucks under the table.

Recognizing the truth isn't the same as condoning it.  Homosexuals are a growing part of the world population.  Truth.  But I still believe it is wrong.

Boom again

WilsonHog

Quote from: clutch on May 28, 2016, 01:49:16 pm
Shouldn't have enabled them. You give them the choice then of course they are going to take the easy road.

My father sat me down a couple of weeks before I left home to begin my freshman year at UA. His statement, and message, was a simple one. "You will not have to work at college. All you have to do is make your grades. If you don't, when you come home all of your sh*t will be in the driveway. You can get through this life the best way you know how."

My response was just as simple and direct: "Yes, sir."

longpig

Quote from: lefty08 on May 28, 2016, 01:26:14 pm

Be good entertainment if Ole Miss starts finger pointing with proof, long as it isn't at Fayetteville.
Don't be scared, be smart.