Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CFB Top 100: Dan Skipper

Started by BigOrangeWave, May 27, 2016, 11:35:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

flagstaffhog

Thanks for sharing. Very short, but nice.

Go HOGS Go!
Go HOGS Go!

staffhog

Dan ha been Brandon's enforcer for 3 years and now will be Austin's.  Go get 'em big man, we will be watching.

Sivad

HogBreath

What a great article..to sum it up, Dan is really big, and great at manhandling the other team's guys.

I had no idea.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

HogMantheIntruder

I always assumed he would move back to LT if Kirkland left. I know in the pro's he will play on the right (more than likely), but with his size and experience, I would think you'd want him watching AA's blind side. Am I alone on this one?
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

3kgthog

No way I'd want Skipper at LT. He'd get AA killed against more athletic teams.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: 3kgthog on May 27, 2016, 11:21:46 pm
No way I'd want Skipper at LT. He'd get AA killed against more athletic teams.
So are you saying it's a lack of mobility?  I am far from being an expert on OL, so I'm all ears/eyes. Obviously, if he were the best choice at LT, he would be there. I'm just curious about the reasoning.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

jkstock04

Quote from: Poppa Tart on May 28, 2016, 12:35:45 am
So are you saying it's a lack of mobility?  I am far from being an expert on OL, so I'm all ears/eyes. Obviously, if he were the best choice at LT, he would be there. I'm just curious about the reasoning.
Not just picking on Skipper...but our O-line as a whole has had a lot of problems under this regime against more smaller agile D-linemen. Maybe the new O-line coach will help change that culture. But yes...I've seen O-linemen feet that looked like they were in quick sand way too often over the past 3 years.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

nchogg

I have seen Dan Skipper pick Brandon and Alex off the ground so many times. He always had their backs. He looks after his team mates.

factchecker

Quote from: Poppa Tart on May 28, 2016, 12:35:45 am

Dan's mobility isn't his biggest issue.  His problem is his inability to use his length, especially in pass blocking.   Offensive linemen should keep their head out of the block during pass sets. Skipper routinely lunges forward, head first,  allowing defenders to swim and knock him off balance.  Skipper also allows defenders to get into his chest.  This should never happen with the inherent advantage Skipper has with his height and arm length.

I think this drill might help:

This doesn't make him a bad player.  I still consider him a damn good lineman but he has some flaws.

Even Rimington award winner (best Center) Ryan Kelly has flaws in his game:

https://twitter.com/TonyG_OTHM/status/721562456691085313
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS