Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Art Briles released by Baylor

Started by Lanny, May 26, 2016, 10:44:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig O Squeal

I remember a time that people wanted the Hogs to make a play for Briles...

opineonswine

I would bet big money Gus Malzahn is the new Baylor coach.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: hogman99 on May 26, 2016, 12:25:25 pm
I just wish some of these talking heads would make these statements when they actually occur, not when coaches are fired.

That's a very good point.  It's awfully easy to pile on when somebody's been knocked to the ground.  Doesn't take a lot of courage to say "he's a slimeball" now when you've been silent up to this point.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

jgphillips3

Baylor...your 15 minutes is up.  Back to the cellar for you.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on May 26, 2016, 12:28:48 pm
That's a very good point.  It's awfully easy to pile on when somebody's been knocked to the ground.  Doesn't take a lot of courage to say "he's a slimeball" now when you've been silent up to this point.
One word answer - Access.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogman99 on May 26, 2016, 12:25:25 pm
I just wish some of these talking heads would make these statements when they actually occur, not when coaches are fired.

Cowherd mentioned he has been hearing the past couple of years about an SEC program in a small town that has a lot going on it shouldn't ie covering up DUI's and other acts by players.  Just not as far as covering up sexual assaults - yet.  Oxford and Auburn seem like the most likely candidates.  Probably both. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

SemperHawg

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on May 26, 2016, 12:28:48 pm
Its the same thing here with the Petrino thing...how many of the Razorback media couldn't preach loud enough about the genius of Bobby.  The minute he is gone, all you hear about is what a recruiting liability he was and how they never liked him anyways. 

I am by no means taking up for Petrino, I just don't like the piling on mentality.  Say what you want about the guy now, but no one had a problem when we were winning 21 games in two years and finishing in the top ten.

Atlhogfan1

Herbie is a little different than a talk radio host.  He is more of a "journalist" in the sense he is to be unbiased.  And there is a certain professionalism.  I understand why he wouldn't have told the story publicly before.  It is obvious people in the media have known what Briles and Baylor are including ESPN.  Herbie probably relayed this story to some colleagues which may have fueled them a little to find the truth.  Next up hopefully: Oxford and Auburn.  Knoxville not in the clear either. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

bphi11ips

Quote from: cosmodrum on May 26, 2016, 10:52:22 am
The cynic in my is floored.

He really had to go, but i wasn't going to believe it until I saw it.

It was Briles or Starr.  Briles got a lesson in gravity.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on May 26, 2016, 12:34:53 pm
Herbie is a little different than a talk radio host.  He is more of a "journalist" in the sense he is to be unbiased.  And there is a certain professionalism.  I understand why he wouldn't have told the story publicly before.  It is obvious people in the media have known what Briles and Baylor are including ESPN.  Herbie probably relayed this story to some colleagues which may have fueled them a little to find the truth.  Next up hopefully: Oxford and Auburn.  Knoxville not in the clear either. 
I wondered when UT would be brought up. Jones is going nowhwere and UT is fine and will either win the case in court or they will offer a settlement so low UT can't afford not to take it.

ALLVOL

For those happy about this remember that this helps Texas more than any team in the nation.

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 26, 2016, 12:34:59 pm

Nah, just proves Baylor wasn't really a football school. You think Bama would have ever fired Bryant or Saban like this?

cosmodrum

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 26, 2016, 12:34:59 pm

Avalanche!
Go away, batin'

itshogsbaby

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on May 26, 2016, 11:53:02 am
Guess we know who Auburn will hire to replace Gus.

I was just thinking the opposite.  I can see Gus heading to Baylor after this season.

SemperHawg

Quote from: ALLVOL on May 26, 2016, 12:40:33 pm
For those happy about this remember that this helps Texas more than any team in the nation.
Only you

STLhawg

Quote from: SemperHawg on May 26, 2016, 12:32:29 pm
Its the same thing here with the Petrino thing...how many of the Razorback media couldn't preach loud enough about the genius of Bobby.  The minute he is gone, all you hear about is what a recruiting liability he was and how they never liked him anyways. 

I am by no means taking up for Petrino, I just don't like the piling on mentality.  Say what you want about the guy now, but no one had a problem when we were winning 21 games in two years and finishing in the top ten.
Long before he had the accident and was fired, I was questioning if Petrino would be able to sustain his success on the field because his recruiting was stagnant at best (if not declining) despite all that on-field success.  Mind you I was not calling for his head, but I felt like I saw some 'warning signs'.

hoglady

At the time - with Petrino it didn't matter whether the press liked him or thought he didn't recruit well. He was winning more games and finishing higher in the rankings than we had in 20 years. Petrino wasn't breaking the law or covering up crimes by his players.
Writing articles bashing Petrino then would have gotten most reporters a pretty quick pink slip.
Unless Petrino started losing on the field - articles like that wouldn't have served much purpose.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ALLVOL on May 26, 2016, 12:39:51 pm
I wondered when UT would be brought up. Jones is going nowhwere and UT is fine and will either win the case in court or they will offer a settlement so low UT can't afford not to take it.

You deserved to be brought up.  Don't like it, stay off another fan base's board.  I didn't say Jones would be fired.  What I was staying is your story isn't closed yet.  It was also mentioned after two places I am more interested in especially Oxford.  The stench from there isn't much weaker than Waco. 

Torqued pork

I just want a scintillating 30 for 30 out of this. Get on it, ESPN.

hogcard1964

Quote from: opineonswine on May 26, 2016, 12:26:55 pm
I would bet big money Gus Malzahn is the new Baylor coach.

Baylor<Auburn

SemperHawg

Quote from: STLhawgg on May 26, 2016, 12:41:58 pm
Long before he had the accident and was fired, I was questioning if Petrino would be able to sustain his success on the field because his recruiting was stagnant at best (if not declining) despite all that on-field success.  Mind you I was not calling for his head, but I felt like I saw some 'warning signs'.

I am not disagreeing with you, I am speaking purely on the media around here who sang his praises non stop while he was here and lined up to pile on as soon as he was gone.  From their standpoint if you weren't going to offer your opinion while he was here it makes your opinion of him after he's gone irrelevant.

SemperHawg

Quote from: STLhawgg on May 26, 2016, 12:41:58 pm

Or at least just be honest and say that they only said good things about him because they knew they would lose access if they didn't.   This I never liked him anyways is a chicken hawk mentality.

STLhawg

Not necessarily.  It might help Texas A&M or even TCU more -- and maybe even help us considerably too.

Atlhogfan1

Good. We need order to be restored in the Big 12.  We need OU and Texas to control the conference including recruiting.  Baylor, Ok St, TT, TCU,... these are competition with Arkansas for recruits in Texas.  Weaken Baylor.

hoglady

To be a Christian based school - Baylor can have some of the absolute worst scandals.
Serious, low-life, criminal stuff covered up.
When you consider what happened with the basketball program under Dave Bliss and now the football program under Briles - it's really mind blowing.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hawgwash

Quote from: Swine-as-wine on May 26, 2016, 12:15:24 pm
After reading this entire thing, my take is that Briles and Baylor's president, was blamed for the actions of those below them.
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see the word "Briles" or "head coach" mentioned once.
A few points.  First, this wasn't the actual Pepper Hamilton report but rather a summary of the report as issued by the Baylor Board of Regents.  Although the BoR didn't sugarcoat it.  Second, the summary does mention improper conduct by "coaches" (plural) within the football program.  And last, the last paragraph mentions there is a separate document with Pepper Hamilton's recommendations.  I don't know if that document, or a summary of it, has been released or not.  You'd have to assume one recommendation was to fire Briles.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 26, 2016, 12:44:42 pm
Baylor<Auburn

No doubt, but Auburn may be ready to show Gus the door after this season if they don't produce, and his HUNH offense certainly fits better in the Big 12 than in the SEC.  I could see it happening.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

SemperHawg

Quote from: STLhawgg on May 26, 2016, 12:45:59 pm
Not necessarily.  It might help Texas A&M or even TCU more -- and maybe even help us considerably too.
Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on May 26, 2016, 12:46:14 pm
Good. We need order to be restored in the Big 12.  We need OU and Texas to control the conference including recruiting.  Baylor, Ok St, TT, TCU,... these are competition with Arkansas for recruits in Texas.  Weaken Baylor.
You guys are missing the bigger picture here...the reason Baylor is in this mess to begin with is because a lot of people took a football wellness mentality into sexual assault investigations.  This mindset he is throwing out here is sad.  He is trying to make you not be happy or content with the morally correct decision being made based on who it might help in football.

This is the exact narrative to the whole freaking problem to start with!

Hogs33

Quote from: PonderinHog on May 26, 2016, 11:22:00 am
Followed the sound of a commode flushing...

He thinks he could keep the job for 15 years  ::)
"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." Mark Twain

MuskogeeHogFan

Let me start the rumor mill going, Phillip Montgomery, new HC at Baylor. Now will his past association with Briles kill his opportunity? May-be.
Go Hogs Go!

ALLVOL

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on May 26, 2016, 12:42:54 pm
You deserved to be brought up.  Don't like it, stay off another fan base's board.  I didn't say Jones would be fired.  What I was staying is your story isn't closed yet.  It was also mentioned after two places I am more interested in especially Oxford.  The stench from there isn't much weaker than Waco. 
Not even close to being the same. But hey, opinions are like... well you know and you have the right to be wrong.

ALLVOL

Quote from: STLhawgg on May 26, 2016, 12:45:59 pm
Why don't you think it will help Texas?

ALLVOL

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on May 26, 2016, 12:46:14 pm
You can like Texas being better if you want. I for one love seeing them down.

ricepig

BP made this list.

https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status/735889829456674817

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: SemperHawg on May 26, 2016, 12:50:01 pm
You guys are missing the bigger picture here...the reason Baylor is in this mess to begin with is because a lot of people took a football wellness mentality into sexual assault investigations.  This mindset he is throwing out here is sad.  He is trying to make you not be happy or content with the morally correct decision being made based on who it might help in football.

This is the exact narrative to the whole freaking problem to start with!

Yes it is. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ALLVOL on May 26, 2016, 12:51:17 pm
Not even close to being the same. But hey, opinions are like... well you know and you have the right to be wrong.

Didn't say it was the same just as it wasn't the same as what happened at Colorado or FSU. 
Quote from: ALLVOL on May 26, 2016, 12:53:22 pm
You can like Texas being better if you want. I for one love seeing them down.

I hate Texas.  Shouldn't have to be said.  It is better for our program when order exists in our region.  For Texas, OU, Bama, LSU to keep Baylor, TCU, TT, Ole Miss, Miss St, etc. down.  We have enough competition without having more to climb over.  Hopefully, you and Florida have restored order in the SECE and that Mizzou nonsense was an aberration. 

Will be interesting to see how the BU staff and team operates this season.  They seem to be worse off than we were after Petrino.  That was a solo act by Bobby.  More on the BU staff have to have been involved in this and should probably be on their way out too.  We know what lame duck coaches do.  Basically a lost season and lost recruiting.  BU's schedule though NW St, SMU and Rice in the non conf.  Wouldn't be surprised to see the arrogant - put up 80+ on NW St if they can. 

opineonswine

Quote from: itshogsbaby on May 26, 2016, 12:41:25 pm
I was just thinking the opposite.  I can see Gus heading to Baylor after this season.

Or now.  The only thing that would surprise me is if Gus is NOT the next Baylor coach.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: factchecker on May 26, 2016, 11:51:29 am
Here is the released information found from investigation by law-firm Pepper Hamilton.  It is 13 pages long.

Pepper Hamilton Findings of Fact Report:

http://www.baylor.edu/rtsv/doc.php/266596.pdf

Damning for sure some one had to get AXED!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

opineonswine

Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 26, 2016, 12:44:42 pm
Baylor<Auburn

Only if you have job security at Auburn...which he doesn't.  I bet the Baptist phones are already burning up.  Perfect out for Gus to leave Auburn before being fired. 

ALLVOL

Quote from: opineonswine on May 26, 2016, 01:06:04 pm
Only if you have job security at Auburn...which he doesn't.  I bet the Baptist phones are already burning up.  Perfect out for Gus to leave Auburn before being fired. 
I could absolutely see this.

CollinsvilleHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 26, 2016, 12:51:03 pm
Let me start the rumor mill going, Phillip Montgomery, new HC at Baylor. Now will his past association with Briles kill his opportunity? May-be.
I would be willing to bet he is involved somehow or had knowledge of and did nothing as well.  Would not be shocked to see him in hot water at Tulsa during this ordeal.  IMO

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on May 26, 2016, 12:34:53 pm
In what sense is Herbstreit a journalist?

GuvHog

Quote from: opineonswine on May 26, 2016, 01:06:04 pm

You do realize that Baylor severed all ties with the Southern Baptist Convention years ago don't you??
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on May 26, 2016, 01:15:19 pm

Read the post to which you responded.  Herbie's role is to give his opinion on college football.  But to do so in a professional way, he has to show some level of unbias and professionalism which leads to it being understandable he didn't publicly relay his experience at Baylor.  Would have made his future commenting on their program more questionable in the view of some. 

JaketheSnake

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 26, 2016, 01:01:34 pm
Religion has covered up some of the most ugly incidents in our history.  Why more people don't question the role of religion - and the functions it does NOT serve - in the world today is a question with pondering.   

Good grief.  Dont confuse religion with people working for their own selfish agendas.

Pig in the Pokey

wow. Kudos to Baylor. I knew eventually there would be mutiny and a clean sweep would occur.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: ALLVOL on May 26, 2016, 12:39:51 pm

Google alerts?
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on May 26, 2016, 01:15:19 pm

Well, my wife thinks he's a hunk.  So he's got that going for him.

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: GuvHog on May 26, 2016, 11:53:48 am
Death Penalty coming???
Which NCAA rule did they break? Title IX?