Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So, recruits don't like Bama's uniforms

Started by ricepig, May 24, 2016, 07:25:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

010HogFan

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on May 25, 2016, 03:37:17 pm
You may be right, but we'll never know.  The photos we took as kids and young adults were only taken after consideration of whether the shot was worthy of a photo.  That's because a roll of film cost $4.00-$7.00 and having that roll of photos developed cost roughly the same.  As a result, we self-imposed a limit on how many photos we could take on a vacation, or at a homecoming, or a family reunion, or whatever.  Cost was a huge consideration for most of us.  Now, you can take those thousands of selfies and not think twice about any cost.

Never really heard that point brought up before. I'm on the older side of the millennial generation, and when I was a kid, we mostly used those little green Fujifilm disposable cameras that had a set limit of photos you could take before they were all used up, so I can see what you mean there. I don't really do the whole selfie thing because I always look stupid in them. even if all the kids are doing it these days, there are just as many exceptions that you don't see because they aren't out in public making a fool of themself, I can promise you that.

Hogarusa

Quote from: TUSKtimes on May 25, 2016, 10:14:01 am
That is not the mindset of high school players. They genuinely think they will play in the NFL.

a very very small minority surely, the ones that have dominated every athletic event they have entered since having the ability to walk.  Kids are smarter than old people give them credit for.  They know the #s. 
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

010HogFan

Quote from: TUSKtimes on May 25, 2016, 03:13:11 pm

Can we put social networking in there, somewhere?
Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 25, 2016, 03:05:02 pm
Selfies are the signature of the "mememememe" generation.They have been linked to the rise in clinical narcissism, and are a very visible symptom of the spoiled, entitled attitudes we have instilled into an entire generation. 

Selfies are a psychological glimpse at why the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

I'd haaaaardly say that an entire generation has a spoiled, entitled attitude or a problem with narcissism...that's just a sweeping generalization that really isn't based on anything factual. I have encountered people of all ages & backgrounds with attitude problems & social deficiencies. It doesn't take any research to prove that. Some of the biggest idiots & narcissists I know are older people and should theoretically be above that type of behavior, but that's just my experience. I'm biased because I'm still sort of young, but I think it's time we stop using young people as a scapegoat and accept the fact that everyone shares some type of blame in how messed up things are becoming.

Anyways, back to the uniforms...I wish we would go back to the DMac era unis, but Nike of course :)

TUSKtimes

Quote from: Hogarusa on May 25, 2016, 04:29:21 pm
a very very small minority surely, the ones that have dominated every athletic event they have entered since having the ability to walk.  Kids are smarter than old people give them credit for.  They know the #s.

You know Arkansas players better than me.

But the kids talking to recruiting services on why they chose Bama want to play for NCs, be well coached and get ready for the next level.

Hey, you are what you think.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: razorbacker3 on May 25, 2016, 02:19:10 pm
To: Mr. Grammer Nazi

prove

/pro͞ov/

verb

verb: prove; 3rd person present: proves; past tense: proved; gerund or present participle: proving; past participle: proven

demonstrate the truth or existence of (something) by evidence or argument.
"the concept is difficult to prove"

synonyms: show (to be true), demonstrate (the truth of), show beyond doubt, manifest, produce proof/evidence;

You should leave the URBAN dictionary alone when correcting people, Especially when your wrong.
If you are going to mock someone about their GRAMMAR, maybe you should spell that word correctly too.  ;D

code red

Kids might not like em...but Bama will still get em.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 25, 2016, 08:05:24 am
I think it is more about youth than generational. The Traditonalists in the 60s thought the baby boomers were going to take this country down. Then we matured and our perspective of what's important changed. I imagine the same will happen for this generation.

Happens for every generation.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: TUSKtimes on May 25, 2016, 10:14:01 am
That is not the mindset of high school players. They genuinely think they will play in the NFL.

Not all of them think that.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

TUSKtimes

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 25, 2016, 07:05:02 pm
Not all of them think that.

The statement was, that the NFL isn't a big factor to high school kid's choice of college teams. I readily said, he knew Arkansas players better than me.

Are you saying we both can't be right?   

LZH

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on May 25, 2016, 03:37:17 pm
You may be right, but we'll never know.  The photos we took as kids and young adults were only taken after consideration of whether the shot was worthy of a photo.  That's because a roll of film cost $4.00-$7.00 and having that roll of photos developed cost roughly the same.  As a result, we self-imposed a limit on how many photos we could take on a vacation, or at a homecoming, or a family reunion, or whatever.  Cost was a huge consideration for most of us.  Now, you can take those thousands of selfies and not think twice about any cost.

Ya know, I don't guess I have ever actually thought about it, but you are exactly right. Go on vacation for a week and you could easily come back with 8 to 10 rolls of film. The film was expensive, buying the prints and copies was expensive. Not to mention you had to hike your butt down to Walmart twice whether you wanted to or not.

I still kind of miss it though. I loved my Pentax.

FrozenHam

prove

/pro͞ov/

verb

verb: prove; 3rd person present: proves; past tense: proved; gerund or present participle: proving; past participle: proven

synonyms: show (to be true), demonstrate (the truth of), show beyond doubt, manifest, produce proof/evidence;

You should leave the URBAN dictionary alone when correcting people, Especially when your wrong.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=grammer

"grammer
A common typo for grammar. Most commonly found in sentences that correct someone else's grammar.
Your and idiot because you have bad grammer."

Gonzo

prove

/pro͞ov/

verb

Much irony present

Go Hogs!

gawntrail

College coaches run spread type offenses because it gives them the best chance to win based on what they can recruit.  It's not a college coach's job to get a kid ready for the NFL.... just like its not a HS coach's job to get a kid NCAA ready.  Coaches get paid to win right now and develop their younger talent to win tomorrow.  Having kids move on and have success at the next level is a bonus because it makes it easier to recruit the talent to win at your level.... But, they don't get paid to develop talent for the next level. 

MLB has the correct model that pays coaches to develop talent for the next level. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: gawntrail on May 25, 2016, 08:36:27 pm
College coaches run spread type offenses because it gives them the best chance to win based on what they can recruit.  It's not a college coach's job to get a kid ready for the NFL.... just like its not a HS coach's job to get a kid NCAA ready.  Coaches get paid to win right now and develop their younger talent to win tomorrow.  Having kids move on and have success at the next level is a bonus because it makes it easier to recruit the talent to win at your level.... But, they don't get paid to develop talent for the next level. 

MLB has the correct model that pays coaches to develop talent for the next level. 

You are correct in the fact that HC's go after talent that helps them successfully facilitate their chosen schemes. And more often than not, their concern isn't for what is best for the kids that they recruit after they are finished with them.

Hopefully our particular scheme (and those of some other schools) does not only help them improve their skills so that they have more value going into the next level (if they are good enough to get there) but our program also emphasizes to a greater degree the value of being a quality human being who contributes in a positive way to our society and impresses upon them the value of getting a degree, since the vast majority of them will never see an NFL practice field.
Go Hogs Go!

AirWarren

Bama could dress in cutter morning star's uniforms and it wouldn't matter.

Tradition. Winning. National titles. They would still get the recruits.

Hoggish1

Quote from: factchecker on May 24, 2016, 07:36:46 pm
Maryland  :puke:

I guess I'm officially old if that is considered cool now-a-days.

Ditto x 2!   :puke:   :puke:

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: LZH on May 25, 2016, 07:30:10 pm
Ya know, I don't guess I have ever actually thought about it, but you are exactly right. Go on vacation for a week and you could easily come back with 8 to 10 rolls of film. The film was expensive, buying the prints and copies was expensive. Not to mention you had to hike your butt down to Walmart twice whether you wanted to or not.

I still kind of miss it though. I loved my Pentax.

I get so tired of hearing this all the time...
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ChitownHawg

PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

TUSKtimes

Seeing that Oregon was #1 and they usually finish around 20th in recruiting, I'm good.

Article probably wasn't meant to be a think piece so I'll hold it there.

razorbacker3

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on May 25, 2016, 05:00:46 pm
If you are going to mock someone about their GRAMMAR, maybe you should spell that word correctly too.  ;D

My spelling may be poor, but I do have good reading comprehension. You should try it.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on May 25, 2016, 05:00:46 pm

He was talking about this guy...