ricepig

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Maryland  :puke:

I guess I'm officially old if that is considered cool now-a-days.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

VirginiaHog

Prestworthy

Kids these days don't appreciate tradition like we do. "Cool" is flashy, in-your-face, and  over-the-top.  I think Bama, PSU, and others have awesome uniforms because of what they represent.

KlubhouseKonnected

I don't like a uniform that has too much going on. Too busy for battle dress if you ask me.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

razorbacker3

Just proves that kids don't go to a school for the flashy unis. Reputation and tradition means more.

snoblind

Quote from: razorbacker3 on May 24, 2016, 09:43:49 pm
Just proves that kids don't go to a school for the flashy unis. Reputation and tradition means more.

Well that plus how many C notes are in the booster handshakes.

Shrevepork

Quote from: factchecker on May 24, 2016, 07:36:46 pm

re: Maryland "uniforms"---I got dizzy and threw up.

jkstock04

This is not surprising. Like someone else alluded to though...Bama still pulls in top classes despite not having flashy uniforms.

However, for a seemingly lesser team the idea of creating a brand could really give an edge they otherwise didn't have..in my opinion.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

RazorbackToTheFuture

Quote from: snoblind on May 24, 2016, 10:19:55 pm
Well that plus how many C notes are in the booster handshakes.

Wins help too.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: factchecker on May 24, 2016, 07:36:46 pm

As soon as I saw Maryland on the list I thought these kids have no taste.  :D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: VirginiaHog on May 24, 2016, 08:18:25 pm
Its on the worst list too though.

I missed that, so some of the kids do have taste.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

TUSKtimes

Now, this is dressing for success in BamaLand.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: TUSKtimes on May 25, 2016, 06:32:35 am
Now, this is dressing for success in BamaLand.

It does take those rings and a great coach to overcome those bland uniforms.  ;)

TUSKtimes

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 25, 2016, 06:38:17 am
It does take those rings and a great coach to overcome those bland uniforms.  ;)

We just played Clemson for the natty. They went with the giant orange popsicle look.

I think I have it figured out.

Spread teams + softball uniforms = cool

ChitownHawg

Quote from: TUSKtimes on May 25, 2016, 06:49:15 am

We just played Clemson for the natty. They went with the giant orange popsicle look.

I think I have it figured out.

Spread teams + softball uniforms = cool

I'm not understanding the love these kids, with NFL level talent, are giving spread schools. Even if the uniforms are cool.

TUSKtimes

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 25, 2016, 07:03:40 am
I'm not understanding the love these kids, with NFL level talent, are giving spread schools. Even if the uniforms are cool.

Interesting that WR Ricardo Louis of auburn fame apologized to the NFL team that drafted him because he wasn't fully developed at the position. Only ran a few pass patterns and fundamentals were weak. Even though he later tried to qualify what he really meant, the BS meter was fully loaded. NFL scouts are basically saying the same thing about other position players out of the spread. Not well developed in the fundamentals of the game.

No accounting for offensive flash. And we should never underestimate the true value of neon unis mixed in with a few wings, checkerboards and a dash of sparkle just for fun. Like a moth to the flame. 

ChitownHawg

Quote from: TUSKtimes on May 25, 2016, 07:37:12 am
Interesting that WR Ricardo Louis of auburn fame apologized to the NFL team that drafted him because he wasn't fully developed at the position. Only ran a few pass patterns and fundamentals were weak. Even though he later tried to qualify what he really meant, the BS meter was fully loaded. NFL scouts are basically saying the same thing about other position players out of the spread. Not well developed in the fundamentals of the game.

No accounting for offensive flash. And we should never underestimate the true value of neon unis mixed in with a few wings, checkerboards and a dash of sparkle just for fun. Like a moth to the flame.

I wish someone would do a study on how many spread players fail in the NFL after being drafted. I think kids and their parents may take the scheme of the college a little more seriously if they realized the NFL has little patience for developing players. They have to learn quickly or they are on the street.

What good is a shot at the NFL if you fail before the season starts. Especially for 5th round or later picks.

bigdaddyhawg

Just another window into the "look at me!" generation.

Whatever brings more attention to the individual, rather than the team, current kids are going to go for.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 25, 2016, 07:48:40 am
I wish someone would do a study on how many spread players fail in the NFL after being drafted. I think kids and their parents may take the scheme of the college a little more seriously if they realized the NFL has little patience for developing players. They have to learn quickly or they are on the street.

What good is a shot at the NFL if you fail before the season starts. Especially for 5th round or later picks.

There was a somewhat recent post of an article on here that addressed that very thing. It wasn't just QB's, RB's, WR's and TE's who were apparently ill prepared, it was O-Linemen as well. The primary goal in sending your kid off to college should be getting the degree, but if you think he has any chance at all at going to the NFL, I'm not sure why you would let him pick a team with the spread philosophy unless his offers were limited. The pro style philosophy obviously does a much better job at preparing them for the next level.
Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on May 25, 2016, 08:00:21 am
Just another window into the "look at me!" generation.

Whatever brings more attention to the individual, rather than the team, current kids are going to go for.

I think it is more about youth than generational. The Traditonalists in the 60s thought the baby boomers were going to take this country down. Then we matured and our perspective of what's important changed. I imagine the same will happen for this generation.

hogcard1964

bphi11ips

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 25, 2016, 08:05:24 am
I think it is more about youth than generational. The Traditonalists in the 60s thought the baby boomers were going to take this country down. Then we matured and our perspective of what's important changed. I imagine the same will happen for this generation.

Some truth here.  There's an old saying, "Show me a young person who's not liberal, and I'll show you a person with no heart.  Show me an old person who's not conservative, and I'll show you someone with no sense."

The difference between our generation and the current generation is that our coaches said, "Here's the uniform, son."  Today we commission polls and cater to youth.  Two forces drive the current approach - our desire to give our kids the things we never had, and The Almighty Dollar.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Hogarusa

Kids these days.  Get off my lawn! Turn down that music!
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Hogarusa

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 25, 2016, 07:48:40 am

Getting drafted isnt a realistic option for about 93% of college football
players so you would hope it isnt a big factor in the college decision process
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Hogarusa on May 25, 2016, 08:44:54 am

We could hope that it is one way but it would still be the other.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

010HogFan

Quote from: Prestworthy on May 24, 2016, 08:42:43 pm
Kids these days don't appreciate tradition like we do. "Cool" is flashy, in-your-face, and  over-the-top.  I think Bama, PSU, and others have awesome uniforms because of what they represent.

I don't agree with this. If kids don't appreciate tradition, then why do these top flight programs continue to reload despite bland uniforms? Wouldn't that prove that kids DO appreciate tradition?

TUSKtimes

Quote from: Hogarusa on May 25, 2016, 08:44:54 am

That is not the mindset of high school players. They genuinely think they will play in the NFL.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: razorbacker3 on May 24, 2016, 09:43:49 pm
Proves? An online poll of 100 17 year olds who haven't even signed yet doesn't PROOVE a damn thing, though.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

bigdaddyhawg

May 25, 2016, 12:55:48 pm #31 Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 01:11:07 pm by bigdaddyhawg
Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 25, 2016, 08:05:24 am

Yes, people do mature, eventually.  But that's not the point.

To this generation, NOTHING happens without a selfie.  Or being part of a photobomb/videobomb.  Their defining characteristic is self-absorption.

My generation it was probably more about seeing what we could get away with -- rebelliousness. 

Our obsession was probably more dangerous, theirs more destructive, to them and the culture.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

ricepig

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 25, 2016, 01:15:29 pm
In college football.

But in the late '60s and early '70s, it was this school:
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Torqued pork

How much can you really do with a Hog? We should consider changing to the Zombies or the Chupacabra. Do it for the kids.

010HogFan

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on May 25, 2016, 12:55:48 pm
Yes, people do mature, eventually.  But that's not the point.

To this generation, NOTHING happens without a selfie.  Or being part of a photobomb/videobomb.  Their defining characteristic is self-absorption.

My generation it was probably more about seeing what we could get away with -- rebelliousness. 

Our obsession was probably more dangerous, theirs more destructive, to them and the culture.

I'm confused and curious as to why out of allllllll the things to criticize about the modern era, older people always pick "selfies," like they are the undeniable scourge of the Earth, just something terrible that is singlehandedly undoing years of their progress. All it is is a picture...using a camera that's designed to take pictures. I don't do really do them, but I think it's a bit naive to think that other generations wouldn't have behaved similarly in their day if equipped with similar technology. Also a bit of a blanket statement to assume that an entire generation of people is consumed with self-absorption. I thought by now all people would understand that you can't just say things like that and expect to be taken seriously.

razorbacker3

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 25, 2016, 11:20:47 am
Proves? An online poll of 100 17 year olds who haven't even signed yet doesn't PROOVE a damn thing, though.

To: Mr. Grammer Nazi

prove

/pro͞ov/

verb

verb: prove; 3rd person present: proves; past tense: proved; gerund or present participle: proving; past participle: proven

demonstrate the truth or existence of (something) by evidence or argument.
"the concept is difficult to prove"

synonyms: show (to be true), demonstrate (the truth of), show beyond doubt, manifest, produce proof/evidence;

You should leave the URBAN dictionary alone when correcting people, Especially when your wrong.

ricepig

Quote from: razorbacker3 on May 25, 2016, 02:19:10 pm
To: Mr. Grammer Nazi

prove

/pro͞ov/

verb

verb: prove; 3rd person present: proves; past tense: proved; gerund or present participle: proving; past participle: proven

demonstrate the truth or existence of (something) by evidence or argument.
"the concept is difficult to prove"

synonyms: show (to be true), demonstrate (the truth of), show beyond doubt, manifest, produce proof/evidence;

You should leave the URBAN dictionary alone when correcting people, Especially when your wrong.

Your??

010HogFan

Deep Shoat

Quote from: 010HogFan on May 25, 2016, 01:57:21 pm
I'm confused and curious as to why out of allllllll the things to criticize about the modern era, older people always pick "selfies," like they are the undeniable scourge of the Earth, just something terrible that is singlehandedly undoing years of their progress. All it is is a picture...using a camera that's designed to take pictures. I don't do really do them, but I think it's a bit naive to think that other generations wouldn't have behaved similarly in their day if equipped with similar technology. Also a bit of a blanket statement to assume that an entire generation of people is consumed with self-absorption. I thought by now all people would understand that you can't just say things like that and expect to be taken seriously.
Selfies are the signature of the "mememememe" generation.They have been linked to the rise in clinical narcissism, and are a very visible symptom of the spoiled, entitled attitudes we have instilled into an entire generation. 

Selfies are a psychological glimpse at why the world is going to hell in a handbasket.
All Gas, No Brakes!

TUSKtimes

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 25, 2016, 03:05:02 pm
Selfies are the signature of the "mememememe" generation.They have been linked to the rise in clinical narcissism, and are a very visible symptom of the spoiled, entitled attitudes we have instilled into an entire generation. 

Selfies are a psychological glimpse at why the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Can we put social networking in there, somewhere?

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: TUSKtimes on May 25, 2016, 03:13:11 pm

Can we put social networking in there, somewhere?

I think the majority of selfies are taken with the idea of putting them on Facebook, so social networking is tied into it.  I've got two step-daughters, ages 23 and 21, so they were high school age when selfies with your phones and/or digital cameras became all the rage.  I've endured vacations where literally thousands of selfies were taken - on the beach, at the mall, at restaurants, walking on the sidewalk, etc., etc., etc.  I eventually came to realize that to that generation, having a picture of yourself at a destination is far more important than the destination itself.  In other words, it's more important to take a selfie in front of the Grand Canyon and post it to Facebook than it is to actually enjoy the beauty of the Grand Canyon.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 25, 2016, 03:31:33 pm
Concise and eloquent.

That's my really bad Hogville name 

Concise&Eloquent

TUSKtimes

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on May 25, 2016, 03:22:09 pm
I think the majority of selfies are taken with the idea of putting them on Facebook, so social networking is tied into it.  I've got two step-daughters, ages 23 and 21, so they were high school age when selfies with your phones and/or digital cameras became all the rage.  I've endured vacations where literally thousands of selfies were taken - on the beach, at the mall, at restaurants, walking on the sidewalk, etc., etc., etc.  I eventually came to realize that to that generation, having a picture of yourself at a destination is far more important than the destination itself.  In other words, it's more important to take a selfie in front of the Grand Canyon and post it to Facebook than it is to actually enjoy the beauty of the Grand Canyon.

I would agree that the age of social networking is training old and young alike in the art of being anti-social. Kind of ironic that the smartphone isn't translating to the one using it, socially speaking. 

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: 010HogFan on May 25, 2016, 01:57:21 pm
All it is is a picture...using a camera that's designed to take pictures. I don't do really do them, but I think it's a bit naive to think that other generations wouldn't have behaved similarly in their day if equipped with similar technology.

You may be right, but we'll never know.  The photos we took as kids and young adults were only taken after consideration of whether the shot was worthy of a photo.  That's because a roll of film cost $4.00-$7.00 and having that roll of photos developed cost roughly the same.  As a result, we self-imposed a limit on how many photos we could take on a vacation, or at a homecoming, or a family reunion, or whatever.  Cost was a huge consideration for most of us.  Now, you can take those thousands of selfies and not think twice about any cost.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on May 25, 2016, 03:32:44 pm
That's my really bad Hogville name 

Concise&Eloquent

Which is not to be confused with;

Benny
Whois
Gohogs

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on May 25, 2016, 03:38:15 pm
Which is not to be confused with;

Benny
Whois
Gohogs

But is often confused with:   Delta.

Well, the concise part anyway.

Deep Shoat

All Gas, No Brakes!

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on May 25, 2016, 03:39:47 pm
But is often confused with:   Delta.

Well, the concise part anyway.

Good post!

Deep Shoat

All Gas, No Brakes!