Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nutt... coaching longevity (his) would be better in the Big 12 than the SEC...

Started by DLUXHOG, May 24, 2016, 01:35:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DLUXHOG

Sounds like nutter likes the low road............ ::)

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=News-Notes--Quotes--May-24

- If you want to coach a long time, Houston Nutt said he'd rather coach in the Big 12 than the SEC.

The SEC is full of $4 million coaches, but the pressure is higher. Nine of the league's 14 coaches have only been at the helm since 2013, compared to four of the Big 12's 10 schools in that span. Nutt coached at two SEC schools, but says the Big 12 provides more longevity for coaches.

"I loved the SEC, loved going to Alabama, LSU, Auburn, all that hoopla, nothing like all that," Nutt said on SportsTalk with Bo Mattingly. "But if you talk about longevity, as a coach, if you asked me personally where I'd rather be, longevity? I'd go to the Big 12, because I'd feel like I could keep a job for 15 years. I'm not belittling (Big 12 teams), but Oklahoma is the one you've gotta beat, and Texas is not Texas right now. For me, it's a pretty nice environment."
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

26.2Hog

Guess what, Dale. You won't be coaching in the Big 12 for 15 years. You'll never be coaching there.

pigture perfect

Ok, besides it being Nutt who said it, what is wrong with what e said. I didn't see anything incorrect there.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Hoot72

What he said is right.  The problem is that the good coaches, the really good coaches that still have a competitive fire -- want to coach against the best, and make the most money.  That is the SEC.  And most of them have a big enough ego to believe that they can handle it.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Hoot72 on May 24, 2016, 04:05:00 pm
What he said is right.  The problem is that the good coaches, the really good coaches that still have a competitive fire -- want to coach against the best, and make the most money.  That is the SEC.  And most of them have a big enough ego to believe that they can handle it.

SEC propaganda and lies. A coach can be at a place like Kansas State and still have a competitive fire. What is the best? Is it Oklahoma or Florida state?  How about Ohio state or USC. They seem to have a top programs. Just because Alabama keeps winning. Doesn't make the SEC the best of the best of the best.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: DLUXHOG on May 24, 2016, 01:35:07 pm
Sounds like nutter likes the low road............ ::)

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=News-Notes--Quotes--May-24

- If you want to coach a long time, Houston Nutt said he'd rather coach in the Big 12 than the SEC.

The SEC is full of $4 million coaches, but the pressure is higher. Nine of the league's 14 coaches have only been at the helm since 2013, compared to four of the Big 12's 10 schools in that span. Nutt coached at two SEC schools, but says the Big 12 provides more longevity for coaches.

"I loved the SEC, loved going to Alabama, LSU, Auburn, all that hoopla, nothing like all that," Nutt said on SportsTalk with Bo Mattingly. "But if you talk about longevity, as a coach, if you asked me personally where I'd rather be, longevity? I'd go to the Big 12, because I'd feel like I could keep a job for 15 years. I'm not belittling (Big 12 teams), but Oklahoma is the one you've gotta beat, and Texas is not Texas right now. For me, it's a pretty nice environment."
Gosh, color me shocked when it comes to such comments. Yep, that's right Houston: always take the easier way out of a situation. Rather than try to be the best by playing and coaching against the best just choose to play the easier card 'cause that shows the lack of character and guts we've all recognized you lack for years.

Atlhogfan1

This idiot would still be our coach or have moved on to AD by now if he wasn't an idiot who got two SEC chancellors and two AD's move out of their positions/fired because of his actions and incompetence. 

He had it made at Arkansas if he could have controlled his ego.  Could have handed the offense over and won those 7-8 games a season with an occasional big season and stayed at Arkansas 15+ seasons.  Don't want to hear his darn.

But I do agree the B12 is easier including a pressure standpoint and certain jobs may afford more time(not OU or Texas). 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on May 24, 2016, 04:37:47 pm
This idiot would still be our coach or have moved on to AD by now if he wasn't an idiot who got two SEC chancellors and two AD's move out of their positions/fired because of his actions and incompetence. 

He had it made at Arkansas if he could have controlled his ego.  Could have handed the offense over and won those 7-8 games a season with an occasional big season and stayed at Arkansas 15+ seasons.  Don't want to hear his darn.

But I do agree the B12 is easier including a pressure standpoint and certain jobs may afford more time(not OU or Texas). 

Lot of truth. If Nutt could have checked his ego and hired quality coaches. He would have been a lifer.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hawghiggs on May 24, 2016, 04:57:31 pm
Lot of truth. If Nutt could have checked his ego and hired quality coaches. He would have been a lifer.

He, his family and their supporters messed up a great thing for themselves(not us!).  They thought they were bigger than the program and university.  Let Danny keep coaching while he was physically unable.  Of course the other darn the family did.  They sabotaged themselves.  I still don't know how a book hasn't been written on what happened.  I know Arkansas football isn't Bama, Oh St or ND branded.  But this is a unique story.  Can't believe after how big he screwed up here and then in Oxford how he still hangs around except it has to be ego.  I do wonder how much it eats at the Nutt family how badly they screwed this situation up for themselves.

Don't take this as me saying I would have been for Nutt staying.  I wouldn't have hired him.  I would have fired him years before he was.(and he was fired)
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Sed76

So he knows the Big 12 is the key to a long coaching career yet didn't go there back in 2008. Were there not any openings there or was Ole Miss the only ones stupid enough to think they were getting a major coup?

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on May 24, 2016, 05:05:52 pm
He, his family and their supporters messed up a great thing for themselves(not us!).  They thought they were bigger than the program and university.  Let Danny keep coaching while he was physically unable.  Of course the other darn the family did.  They sabotaged themselves.  I still don't know how a book hasn't been written on what happened.  I know Arkansas football isn't Bama, Oh St or ND branded.  But this is a unique story.  Can't believe after how big he screwed up here and then in Oxford how he still hangs around except it has to be ego.  I do wonder how much it eats at the Nutt family how badly they screwed this situation up for themselves.

Don't take this as me saying I would have been for Nutt staying.  I wouldn't have hired him.  I would have fired him years before he was.(and he was fired)

I don't know. It would have been hard not to hire him. In his youth he was a very charismatic fellow. But I do agree that he should have been fired long before he actually was.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Sed76 on May 24, 2016, 07:19:55 pm
So he knows the Big 12 is the key to a long coaching career yet didn't go there back in 2008. Were there not any openings there or was Ole Miss the only ones stupid enough to think they were getting a major coup?

At the time. Ole Miss was pretty desperate and really needed to make a solid hire. They didn't in the long run. But Nutt did lead them to a couple of great season.

East Clintwood

I seriously doubt that the nutt family acknowledges any responsibility on their part.  I'm sure they place all of the blame on others.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

pigture perfect

Danny, even while sick had a solid stable of running backs. That wasn't the problem, the system wasn't even the problem. You nailed it by saying the ego was the problem. We all have to watch out for that though.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

26.2Hog

Quote from: Hawghiggs on May 24, 2016, 07:46:08 pm
At the time. Ole Miss was pretty desperate and really needed to make a solid hire. They didn't in the long run. But Nutt did lead them to a couple of great season.

I don't think I'd call 9-4 a great season. A good season, yes, done with another coach's recruits. Sound familiar?

Orgeron wasn't much of a head coach, but that sucker has always been able to recruit. So
when Orgeron's recruits started thinning out, and Nutt had to play with his own, he quickly went from 9-4 to 4-8 and 2-10.

Dale tried to keep up with the recruiting by promising 37 scholarships to players in 2009, prompting the NCAA to pass "the Houston Nutt rule" restricting teams to only 28 LOIs.

That was just one more example of Nutt's scummy dishonesty.

LSUFan

I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Sed76 on May 24, 2016, 07:19:55 pm

Thread winner!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Sivad

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 24, 2016, 03:18:25 pm
Ok, besides it being Nutt who said it, what is wrong with what e said.
Coach B left a sweet job at Wisconsin because he wanted to compete against the best in the SEC.
Nutt wants to "keep a job for 15 years" where it's much, much less competitive.
Tells part of the sorry tale that is HoustonDale Nutt and his family posse.

LSUFan

Quote from: Sivad on May 25, 2016, 08:10:47 pm
Coach B left a sweet job at Wisconsin because he wanted to compete against the best in the SEC.
Will he and his prey on players like he did at UoA?

Torqued pork

Nutt's goofiness aside, most people would take the easier job if the money was comparable. It's easy to be message board warriors, but in the real world where families are involved it gets a little more complicated.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Hawghiggs on May 24, 2016, 04:21:10 pm
SEC propaganda and lies. A coach can be at a place like Kansas State and still have a competitive fire. What is the best? Is it Oklahoma or Florida state?  How about Ohio state or USC. They seem to have a top programs. Just because Alabama keeps winning. Doesn't make the SEC the best of the best of the best.

Except they just keep winning National Championships......playing though a brutal SEC schedule.

Steel sharpens steel.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Sivad on May 25, 2016, 08:10:47 pm

Bingo!   +1 if I could.........

LSUFan

Quote from: Hawghiggs on May 24, 2016, 04:21:10 pm
Don't watch much football, do ya?

spiritof92

I've never understood why some people take every opportunity to keep someone they supposedly don't like relevant. 

LSUFan

Quote from: spiritof92 on May 26, 2016, 02:45:34 pm
I've never understood why some people take every opportunity to keep someone they supposedly don't like relevant.
Maybe it's all part of that "Don't deny or forget your history or you are destined to repeat it" mentality?

spiritof92

Quote from: LSUFan on May 26, 2016, 02:59:31 pm
Maybe it's all part of that "Don't deny or forget your history or you are destined to repeat it" mentality?

Nah, that's not it.

LSUFan

spiritof92

Quote from: LSUFan on May 26, 2016, 03:09:06 pm
More of the message board mentality where people like to see the a-holes fail?

I was thinking more like some people retain so much hatred that it interferes with their lives.  Well beyond the point of being rational. 

DLUXHOG

Quote from: spiritof92 on May 26, 2016, 03:11:40 pm
I was thinking more like some people retain so much hatred that it interferes with their lives.  Well beyond the point of being rational. 

you're right.   guess we should say "he's an a-hole, but he was our a-hole", and move on...

LSUFan

Quote from: DLUXHOG on May 26, 2016, 03:44:27 pm
you're right.   guess we should say "he's an a-hole, but he was our a-hole", and move on...
LMAO!

RollHogTide

Quote from: DLUXHOG on May 24, 2016, 01:35:07 pm
I'd go to the Big 12, because I'd feel like I could keep a job for 15 years.

I guess if you set your expectations low enough - you can always meet them.  What a freaking loser mentality.

Justifiable Hogicide

I dislike Baylor.
15 years of Houston Nutt would be more gratifying than the death penalty.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on May 26, 2016, 04:09:38 pm
I dislike Baylor.
15 years of Houston Nutt would be more gratifying than the death penalty.

I think that would be considered cruel and unusual punishment.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

LSUFan

PonderinHog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on May 26, 2016, 04:29:50 pm
I think that would be considered cruel and unusual punishment.
I think he's the right reverend for the job.

Pig in the Pokey

I hope he is hired at Baylor, and I for one will be emailing the AD about A Winner and A Fighter as a concerned Baylor fan should  ;D

And, I'll cheer for them against Texas!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

LSUFan

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 26, 2016, 07:51:27 pm
I hope he is hired at Baylor, and I for one will be emailing the AD about A Winner and A Fighter as a concerned Baylor fan should  ;D

Tell them he's special, and brings the wood.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 26, 2016, 07:51:27 pm

I went over and looked at a Baylor Message Board, and the names that are getting mentioned the most are Tom Herman, Chad Morris, and Sonny Cumbie.

Chad Morris is a Texas A&M Alumnus, and it is thought he is waiting for the A&M job to open up.

Dabo Swinney was mentioned over on that Baylor Board.  Highly doubtful Swinney would leave Clemson for Baylor because his salary just got increased at Clemson to $5.29 Million per year, and also because Clemson is building a $55 Million 140,000 square-foot Football Complex.

No reason to leave Clemson with having the following.

Hawghiggs

SooiecidetillNuttgone

His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on May 26, 2016, 08:54:45 pm
Dabo Swinney was mentioned over on that Baylor Board.  Highly doubtful Swinney would leave Clemson for Baylor because his salary just got increased at Clemson to $5.29 Million per year, and also because Clemson is building a $55 Million 140,000 square-foot Football Complex.

Dabo's waiting for Saban to retire at 'Bama.  He'd leave for that job in a heartbeat; probably the only one though.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

atekido

Nutt wanting to take the easy route?  who would have guess it.....

Rzbakfromwaybak

Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

WilsonHog

I swear I wish the Hooter could get a job somewhere.

When UConn won't even entertain the idea of hiring you, it's pretty much a wrap.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on May 27, 2016, 08:06:55 am
Dabo's waiting for Saban to retire at 'Bama.  He'd leave for that job in a heartbeat; probably the only one though.

There is a Clemson fan who posts over on The SECRant who has stated that there is no guarantee that Swinney would leave Clemson for Alabama.  That Clemson fan posted that before Clemson raised Swinney's salary, and before Clemson started building the $55 Million 140,000 square-foot Football Complex.

Sivad

Quote from: spiritof92 on May 26, 2016, 02:45:34 pm
There's no "supposedly" in my dislike.

LSUFan

"If ever there was a coach that did less with more, he lies here."

Tombstone inscription for HDN.

GuvHog

Hooty should have been treated like Petrino was treated because Hooty really deserved it. Instead he was PAID to leave. The thought of it still makes me ill.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

texas tush hog

Look for the right reverend Nutt to be named Baylor's head coach in short order. A natural fit.

26.2Hog