Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Interesting details in Enos interview

Started by Biggus Piggus, May 23, 2016, 09:54:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/544821/ryan-ohalloran/2016-05-22/arkansas-assistant-brandon-allens-experience-will-help#

Details that Dan Enos shared in an interview with a Jaguars writer w/r/t Brandon Allen:

* Enos changed all the terminology for calling plays in the passing game.
* Focused on small fundamental details to get BA to move efficiently and be ready to throw at the right times.
* BA was best at intermediate-range passing.
* BA was "best I've been around" at describing details of what the defense was doing during games.
[CENSORED]!

Dan42AR

As long as we have CDE I think our qb play will be in good hands.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: Dan42AR on May 23, 2016, 10:22:05 am
As long as we have CDE I think our qb play will be in good hands.
Totally agree. Screw Gus and Sumlin. You want a QB guru? Look to Arkansas. CDE may go down as CBB's best hire to date.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

ChitownHawg

May 23, 2016, 10:45:45 am #3 Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 11:54:02 am by ChitownHawg
What a difference a year can make. This time last year people were concerned about BA's ability to throw a back breaking INT or simply not be clutch. Few had true confidence in BA to carry the team to a win.

And now he is in the NFL. What a kid and what a story.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

jkstock04

Quote from: Poppa Tart on May 23, 2016, 10:39:09 am
Totally agree. Screw Gus and Sumlin. You want a QB guru? Look to Arkansas. CDE may go down as CBB's best hire to date.
The transformation last year (from the previous 2 years) in Brandon Allens mechanics and performance was awesome in my opinion. I expected this would improve when we got a real qb coach in here but it turned out even more so than I thought. My opinion we have a couple of pretty good coordinators on staff right now.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Poppa Tart on May 23, 2016, 10:39:09 am
Makes me feel good b/c I was screaming for 2 years that we didn't even HAVE a QB coach and most were like, "psssht. Doesn't matter. Tryust CBB", etc. Well, YEAH IT DID matter. I'm glad CBB learned that fact as well as HV.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 23, 2016, 10:58:30 am
Makes me feel good b/c I was screaming for 2 years that we didn't even HAVE a QB coach and most were like, "psssht. Doesn't matter. Tryust CBB", etc. Well, YEAH IT DID matter. I'm glad CBB learned that fact as well as HV.

Like he was unaware or something. Exactly how often do you expect a head coach to change coordinators? He made the change at the right time, when he had the chance to hire someone better.
[CENSORED]!

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on May 23, 2016, 11:15:42 am
Like he was unaware or something. Exactly how often do you expect a head coach to change coordinators? He made the change at the right time, when he had the chance to hire someone better.
Biggus, I am not claiming that I changed CBB's mind, bro.

And I would expect any head coach to fill all his staff positions. That would mean one would never have a staff without a QB coach employed. And, yeah, he learned his lesson. I bet he never does it again. You think he knew everything when he got to Arkansas and never had to learn a thing, huh?

It's like when somebody calls a politician a "flip-flopper". As if one should form an opinion and never change it no matter what.

I do agree that he probably just gambled on chaney b/c of lack of available options. And that Enos is the man, of course.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Pig in the Pokey

rzrbk4life

Hope CDE sticks around for a few more years. Looking forward to what he can do with this group of QB's on campus. One thing is for sure is that he has a plethora of talent to work with. WPS
Let's call those hogs!!!!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on May 23, 2016, 09:54:36 am
http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/544821/ryan-ohalloran/2016-05-22/arkansas-assistant-brandon-allens-experience-will-help#

Details that Dan Enos shared in an interview with a Jaguars writer w/r/t Brandon Allen:

* Enos changed all the terminology for calling plays in the passing game.
* Focused on small fundamental details to get BA to move efficiently and be ready to throw at the right times.
* BA was best at intermediate-range passing.
* BA was "best I've been around" at describing details of what the defense was doing during games.

That last thing is so important and why some really talented QB's can't play in the Pro's. It takes both talent and brains.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 23, 2016, 11:48:33 am
That last thing is so important and why some really talented QB's can't play in the Pro's. It takes both talent and brains.
Peytonesque

MultipleScoreGasms

Exactly.  A throw-back QB that was good mentally was Bob Griese.  I have seen several interviews of HOF defensive players who named him as the QB they least liked to face.  He understood what defenses were doing.  Heard several say "if they ever made eye contact, he won the down."

3Scoreand10

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 23, 2016, 11:48:33 am

Maybe it's time to step up with the long time contract and big bucks like other SEC schools have done.
Nothing shows appreciation like security and money.
First million dollar OC at Ark?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: 3Scoreand10 on May 23, 2016, 12:24:34 pm
Maybe it's time to step up with the long time contract and big bucks like other SEC schools have done.
Nothing shows appreciation like security and money.
First million dollar OC at Ark?

If AA shows the similar growth as BA then I would agree.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

3Scoreand10

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 23, 2016, 12:28:32 pm

I agree.

I have always believed that the HC is often over paid at the expense of the asst.
Great asst. make great HCs
Share the wealth!

lumphog

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 23, 2016, 10:45:45 am
What a difference a year can make. This time last year people were concerned about BA's ability to throw a back breaking INT or simply not be clutch. Few had true confidence in BA to carry the team to a win.

And now he is in the NFL. What a kid and what a story.
NEXT!!!...........Lil brother is gonna light em UP!!!

Cinco de Hogo

There are a lot of unanswered or unanswerable questions regarding BA and his time on the hill.  Without a doubt one of the greatest year over year improvement in Razorback history at any position.

Petrino recruited him so I had a certain amount of ingrained confidence in him.

JLS and crew literally destroyed the team.

CBB + Chaney, complete change of plans and what turned out to be a dysfunctional situation.

CDE and his fourth OC in five years plus another change in the way things were schemed.

There might be a few QB's that are so great they could have still shined thru all that.  Most likely BA was a late bloomer and the situation didn't do him any favors at all.  Personally I will alway believe that regardless of potential that Brandon Mitchell should have started 2013 and given BA time to grow a little more. 

However in the end the greatest problem was coaching.  If not for that problem and allowing Mitchell to start 2013 I think BA could have had a great two year run that would have exceeded the two previous QB's

kibster

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 23, 2016, 12:28:32 pm

I agree with this.  Need two years of data to see if he is really deserving of a big pay raise (which I think he likely is). 
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

PonderinHog

I just hope CDE likes it here because I sure do like having him here.  :razorback:

PorkSoda

I'm pretty sure Chaney was CC/QB coach and now Enos is CC/QB the only thing that changed was the person doing the job.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 23, 2016, 01:05:43 pm
I'm pretty sure Chaney was CC/QB coach and now Enos is CC/QB the only thing that changed was the person doing the job.

So your saying that for two years we didn't have a QB coach right?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on May 23, 2016, 01:08:22 pm
So your saying that for two years we didn't have a QB coach right?

Correct. One coach played oline and the other QB. One felt you could not change the mechanics and the other knew better.  :D

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: lumphog on May 23, 2016, 12:58:22 pm
NEXT!!!...........Lil brother is gonna light em UP!!!
I saw one pass in the red white game that let me know that your statement will be coming true.  That one pass was all I needed to see. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 23, 2016, 01:17:19 pm
Correct. One coach played oline and the other QB. One felt you could not change the mechanics and the other knew better.  :D
Man, all I know is Brandon freaking Allen was one of the best QBs in the country and got drafted. A guy who had his truck burned to the ground and was literally a pick-six waiting to happen before Enos got ahold of him. That is almost unbelievable.

PorkSoda

May 23, 2016, 03:01:35 pm #26 Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 04:13:57 pm by PorkSoda
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 23, 2016, 02:45:34 pm
Man, all I know is Brandon freaking Allen was one of the best QBs in the country and got drafted. A guy who had his truck burned to the ground and was literally a pick-six waiting to happen before Enos got ahold of him. That is almost unbelievable.
I'll admit he struggled more than most early on, but he did consistently improve each year as the season went on.  those that were paying attention could see it.  I'm glad that CDE helped him elevate his game substantially and that BA found his confidence somewhere along the way.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 23, 2016, 03:01:35 pm
I'll admit he struggled more than most early on, but he did consistently improve each year as the season went on.  those that were paying attention could see it.  I'm glad that CDE helped take him elevate his game substantially and that BA found his confidence somewhere along the way.
true. Hell, I was one of those who said he'd get drafted as early as last spring. But I have to admit, it was some wishful thinking in there and a bit of baiting b/c I knew what the reaction would be. But it turned out to be true.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 23, 2016, 02:45:34 pm

That shows how rediculous Chaney was. The physical and mental talents were there for BA - all he needed was a coach to work with him.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on May 23, 2016, 01:20:43 pm
I saw one pass in the red white game that let me know that your statement will be coming true.  That one pass was all I needed to see. 

I'm guessing it wasn't an interception................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

MuskogeeHogFan

Chaney was a D-Lineman.
Go Hogs Go!

GolfnHog

"Smart people learn from their own mistakes, brilliant people learn from other people's mistakes."

Best quote of the whole article.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 23, 2016, 05:25:12 pm
Chaney was a D-Lineman.

My bad. I knew he was on the line - just got the wrong side of the ball. Thanks for the correction.

presidenthog

chaney was a nose tackle

Tyro3

ricepig

Theolesnort

Let's be honest, the first part of the season he was not setting the world on fire. But the last half he was the best there was and then some and all the while carrying a flawed defense. I still fault Bret for setting up for a field goal after all the blocked ones we had had previous to that point. Brandon would have led us to a touchdown in the Miss St game if they would have let him go for it but that is spilled milk now.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

LZH

We are all darned impressed with what Enos knows has done thus far. But whatcha wanna bet that the first time AA makes a few mistakes in a tight game this year you and I will be screaming for a dedicated quarterback coach? Hell, I will go ahead and admit to it up front.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on May 23, 2016, 07:20:29 pm
We are all darned impressed with what Enos knows has done thus far. But whatcha wanna bet that the first time AA makes a few mistakes in a tight game this year that you and I will be screaming for a dedicated quarterback coach? Hell, I will go ahead and admit to it up front.

How many schools have dedicated QB coaches?

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on May 23, 2016, 07:21:44 pm
How many schools have dedicated QB coaches?

I couldn't tell you. I just know that if it were up to me, I'm quite sure mine would.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on May 23, 2016, 07:22:34 pm
I couldn't tell you. I just know that if it were up to me, I'm quite sure mine would.

So, what position coach are you cutting?

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on May 23, 2016, 07:24:06 pm
So, what position coach are you cutting?

I can't say that I even know what everyone's responsibility is right now, so I really couldn't tell you. If Lunney is the tight end (only) coach, then moving him to full-time quarterback coach could be a realistic place to start. Move the TE's to the receiver's or offensive line coaches. If not that, I would have to go down the list, because I don't remember everyone's responsibilities.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on May 23, 2016, 07:33:20 pm
I can't say that I even know what everyone's responsibility is right now, so I really couldn't tell you. If Lunney is the tight end (only) coach, then moving him to full-time quarterback coach could be a realistic place to start. Move the TE's to the receiver's or offensive line coaches. If not that, I would have to go down the list, because I don't remember everyone's responsibilities.

So, you don't think Enos can be the QB coach and OC?

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on May 23, 2016, 01:20:43 pm
That last pass from Rick Town lets me know we'll be in great hands after Austin is done as well. We are stacked at QB! Hyatt and Kelly as well. Jeez.

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on May 23, 2016, 07:36:30 pm

Sure, he did a great job last year.

But I just believe that, especially in college, a quarterback needs to have a coach in his ear all day long. If the offensive coordinator is taking care of business and coaching the rest of the offense too, he can't be there with the quarterback a hundred percent of the time. I know that job can be split up into several position coaches, but it just isn't the way I would go.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ricepig on May 23, 2016, 07:36:30 pm
He didn't say that. He said HE would if it were him, and I agree. Enos though, .... that cat is special. He can handle double duty but not everyone could. Think about how much better the back-ups would be with a dedicated QB coach, for example.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on May 23, 2016, 07:41:26 pm
Sure, he did a great job last year.

But I just believe that, especially in college, a quarterback needs to have a coach in his ear all day long. If the offensive coordinator is taking care of business and coaching the rest of the offense too, he can't be there with the quarterback a hundred percent of the time. I know that job can be split up into several position coaches, but it just isn't the way I would go.

I think Enos is in his ear enough, unlike Chaney, he can stand up a whole game and calls the plays from the sidelines. Also, when he isn't in the QB's ear, we have a GA, in it.

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on May 23, 2016, 07:44:04 pm
I think Enos is in his ear enough, unlike Chaney, he can stand up a whole game and calls the plays from the sidelines. Also, when he isn't in the QB's ear, we have a GA, in it.

And if that works, then I'm all for it. At least until we screw up and then I'm sure I will have to post something annoying.

I just know what it's like to play the position with a quarterback coach and without a quarterback coach. It is invaluable for a quarterback to come to the sidelines with questions in his head and be able to go straight to a guy and have all that time to discuss these things. If the quarterback coach is also the offensive coordinator, what if the coordinator is trying to get with his guys in the booth to go over that last series' tendencies and doesn't have time to talk to the quarterback about why his ball has been sailing for the last three drives? It happens, I promise.

bythelake

A quarterback does not need somebody in his ear 24/7. 

Did you not read the importance of the relationship of Enos and Brandon regarding play calling during the game.  We have the best scenario with Enos.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on May 23, 2016, 07:50:51 pm
And if that works, then I'm all for it. At least until we screw up and then I'm sure I will have to post something annoying.

I just know what it's like to play the position with a quarterback coach and without a quarterback coach. It is invaluable for a quarterback to come to the sidelines with questions in his head and be able to go straight to a guy and have all that time to discuss these things. If the quarterback coach is also the offensive coordinator, what if the coordinator is trying to get with his guys in the booth to go over that last series' tendencies and doesn't have time to talk to the quarterback about why his ball has been sailing for the last three drives? It happens, I promise.

If he feels it's important to tell the QB he's throwing a baseball instead of football with his motion, he'll tell him. It really doesn't matter what the tendencies are if you can't hit our guys, does it?