Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oklahoma Supreme Court rules Mixon tape to be public

Started by ricepig, May 11, 2016, 02:46:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokehouse

Quote from: DMACKNOWS on May 21, 2016, 04:58:25 pm
The way I understand it (I could be wrong because I was not there)  he used a homophobic slur toward a friend she was with.  She called him over, words were exchanged,(possibly the use of a racial slur) she pushed/slapped him away, and he knocked her out.  I have read comments from people who claim to have been there that he started the initial interaction from across the room.  I have also read it started elsewhere.  Either way, it doesn't seem to those claiming to be present that she called him over unprovoked.  He had plenty of chances to walk away, not engage, or not instigate it in the first place. 

Yeah, that's why I added the parenthetical statement. There's some confusion over what the very first incident to start the whole chain of events was. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out definitively that he started it all. Either way, the point I was getting at was that even if you grant the she "started" something h clearly escalated it way too far.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Pork Twain

Quote from: DMACKNOWS on May 20, 2016, 07:46:44 pm
Lol just look at this fellas avatar.  All you need to know. 

I may completely disagree with him when it comes to a man striking a woman, but I have no idea where you are trying to take this.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

lahawg1

Bottom line, remove yourself from the situation if you think it's headed towards a physical altercation.

My dear old grand daddy used to say when a woman gives you trouble put her across your knee, jerk that dress up, jerk those panties down, and if you can still spank her you are a better man than I am.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on May 13, 2016, 12:50:06 pm
A few things:  1) this wasn't a sexual assault or even a case of domestic assault.  These two didn't have a relationship.  2) there was no cover up.
3) the kid was suspended for a year.  I've said before, that might not be the punishment you believe you would apply.  But it was a punishment.

So they redshirted him. Tough punishment there.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

greenie

Quote from: Peter Porker on May 23, 2016, 08:48:33 am

Did he lose a year of eligibility, and was he allowed to practice/workout with team during the punishment?  Sorry if already asked/discussed.  I'm just curious.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Peter Porker on May 23, 2016, 08:48:33 am
What happened?  Did they run out of orange jumpsuits ???

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: DMACKNOWS on May 21, 2016, 11:08:53 am
The accuracy is that he knocked a woman out, and broke her orbital bone. There has been no witnesses or reports that claim she did anything more than slap him. What else is there that you would like to be told?  When the tape comes out, you're probably going to want to delete your account. 
Who says he should end up at another P5 school?  That is also part of the problem. 
Don't act like this kid made some sort of great sacrifice.  This is OU we are talking about here.  How did he pay his way to school?  Was he just sitting on stacks of cash?    Keep his grades?  GTFO.  You're trying to spin it as if he made several sacrifices to get back on the team.  I promise you he didn't go out and work to pay his own tuition.  Where did DGB go when he got kicked off the team at Missouri?  I'm telling you, Stoops' days are numbered when that video gets released.  People like yourself are why situations like this, so often, get swept under the rug.
In this thread it has been stated that he hit the girl "repeatedly" and insinuated that he a serial abuser that "beats women" and that there was no punishment.  None of that is correct.  You can tell the story accurately and still get outraged.  Just don't make stuff up because it suits your agenda.

The kid screwed up BIG TIME and the thing that saved him long term was that the video wasn't released.  You are kidding yourself if you don't think a talent like Mixon would end up at a P5 school.

PS I don't know how he paid the tuition.  But more importantly, neither do you.  Since you are the one making the accusation of wrongdoing.

Cinco de Hogo

May 23, 2016, 10:58:10 am #107 Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 01:31:28 pm by Cinco de Hogo
Some people don't believe in due process and the justice system and most don't believe in rehabilitation, unless it's their son of course.

What I would expect the U of A to do:

Suspend the player until a investigation has been completed.

Use the results of the investigation to determine if the player should be summarily released from the team or rehabilitated.

If rehabitation is the decision, make the punishment fit the crime.

Sell the decision to the fans(PR)

I absolutely know what ya'll would be saying if CBB choose to go this route or if it were your son involved. 

One thing, regardless of a harmless slap I think he should have spent 90 days in the slammer.  How isn't what he did a crime.

If it were your son what kind of life would you want for him after he paid his dues?

Will Mixon have paid his dues once this is all said and done?

Is the only answer that he never play a down if football ever again in his life?

Will anything done make him a better person?

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on May 23, 2016, 09:56:06 am
In this thread it has been stated that he hit the girl "repeatedly" and insinuated that he a serial abuser that "beats women" and that there was no punishment.  None of that is correct.  You can tell the story accurately and still get outraged.  Just don't make stuff up because it suits your agenda.

The kid screwed up BIG TIME and the thing that saved him long term was that the video wasn't released.  You are kidding yourself if you don't think a talent like Mixon would end up at a P5 school.

PS I don't know how he paid the tuition.  But more importantly, neither do you.  Since you are the one making the accusation of wrongdoing.
wth are you talking about? Nobody even said that. You are crawfishin bad.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on May 23, 2016, 10:58:10 am
Some people don't believe in due process and the justice system and most don't believe in rehabilitation, unless it's their son of course.

Use the results of the investigation to determine if the player should be so summarily released from the team of rehabilitated.

I absolutely know what ya'll would be saying if CBB choose to go this route or if it were your son involved. 

One thing, regardless of a harmless slap I think he should have spent 90 days in the slammer.  How isn't what he did a crime.

If it were your son what kind of life would you want for him after he paid his dues?

Is the only answer that he never play a down if football ever again in his life?

generally americans dont treat you like paying dues is even possible. Felons are forever discriminated against.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

southarkhog06

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 23, 2016, 11:08:36 am
generally americans dont treat you like paying dues is even possible. Felons are forever discriminated against.
well it really isn't hard not to be a felon in the first place, and that statement is wrong there are many programs that try to rehab felons.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: southarkhog06 on May 23, 2016, 11:19:08 am
well it really isn't hard not to be a felon in the first place, and that statement is wrong there are many programs that try to rehab felons.
lol, wake up. Like you would know better than me.

MANY are rehabilitated. They still...

can't vote, can't get hired by 80% of employers, can't rent a house or apartment in good neighborhoods, can't carry a gun, and get looked down on by society. It is actually the LAST thing you can legally discriminate against as well, wake up dude.

Also, I bet most on this board would admit that at one time or another they stole something, smoked something, had something illegal in their possession, a bunch of them are probably sex offenders of some type or another and never got caught, there is SOMETHING in most people's lives that had a cop seen it or somebody snitched on them that they would be a felon , too. Get off your high horse, Sir.
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

@Slackaveli

southarkhog06

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 23, 2016, 11:24:21 am

can't vote, can't get hired by 80% of employers, can't rent a house or apartment in good neighborhoods, can't carry a gun, and get looked down on by society. It is actually the LAST thing you can legally discriminate against as well, wake up dude.

Also, I bet most on this board would admit that at one time or another they stole something, smoked something, had something illegal in their possession, a bunch of them are probably sex offenders of some type or another and never got caught, there is SOMETHING in most people's lives that had a cop seen it or somebody snitched on them that they would be a felon , too. Get off your high horse, Sir.
Ok, bro I have never done anything in my entire life that I could be charged with a felony, and trust me I am no boyscout. You don't get tagged with a felony for smoking something unless you have enough of it to get charged with intent. How hard is it not to steal? I grew up eating butter/sugar sandwiches for snacks because little debbies were out of our price range, and I never stole not one thing in my life.

So yea I stand by my statement that it isn't hard to not be a felon. Is life fair? no its not nor has it ever been.

southarkhog06

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 23, 2016, 11:28:27 am
This guy , for instance, would HATE me because I had too much weed once upon a time. But then, this happened.

http://winningdemocrats.com/georgia-man-molests-children-all-over-us-before-becoming-county-gop-chair/
well yea that guy is a sicko that should go away for a long time doesn't change my point.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 23, 2016, 11:24:21 am

I sincerely doubt most on here have done something worthy of a felony charge.  That would be true for most of the population.  I do wish we were a little more forgiving as a country and gave those that made bad choices a chance to come back from it.  I believe that in "most" cases, you should not have to list your criminal status on a job application.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: southarkhog06 on May 23, 2016, 11:38:42 am
Ok, bro I have never done anything in my entire life that I could be charged with a felony, and trust me I am no boyscout. You don't get tagged with a felony for smoking something unless you have enough of it to get charged with intent. How hard is it not to steal? I grew up eating butter/sugar sandwiches for snacks because little debbies were out of our price range, and I never stole not one thing in my life.

So yea I stand by my statement that it isn't hard to not be a felon. Is life fair? no its not nor has it ever been.
it is a lot easier for a white guy, man. you KNOW THAT
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Pork Twain on May 23, 2016, 11:47:57 am
I sincerely doubt most on here have done something worthy of a felony charge.  That would be true for most of the population.  I do wish we were a little more forgiving as a country and gave those that made bad choices a chance to come back from it.  I believe that in "most" cases, you should not have to list your criminal status on a job application.
me too. My point is, yes, America does hold it against you. I guess he conceded that point and went on to "well you deserved it" by doing the crime. Well, DUH!! We are talking about after you've done your time. There really isn't a thing like that in America. You are forever BRANDED felon.
@Slackaveli

Smokehouse

You'd be surprised.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704471504574438900830760842

https://mic.com/articles/86797/8-ways-we-regularly-commit-felonies-without-realizing-it#.OazsbPscm

With mens rea not holding up as it used to, the massive increase in police and prosecutorial power, and federal statues being left purposely vague so that federal agencies can use their rulemaking power to fill in the blanks behind the scenes, it's a lot easier to be a felon than it used to be. Often the difference is whether you catch the attention of the state or not. And as Pig in the Pokey pointed out, one easy way to catch the attention of the state is to not be white.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Smokehouse on May 23, 2016, 01:23:43 pm
You'd be surprised.

https://mic.com/articles/86797/8-ways-we-regularly-commit-felonies-without-realizing-it#.OazsbPscm

With mens rea not holding up as it used to, the massive increase in police and prosecutorial power, and federal statues being left purposely vague so that federal agencies can use their rulemaking power to fill in the blanks behind the scenes, it's a lot easier to be a felon than it used to be. Often the difference is whether you catch the attention of the state or not. And as Pig in the Pokey pointed out, one easy way to catch the attention of the state is to not be white.
exactly!
@Slackaveli

southarkhog06

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 23, 2016, 11:52:01 am
me too. My point is, yes, America does hold it against you. I guess he conceded that point and went on to "well you deserved it" by doing the crime. Well, DUH!! We are talking about after you've done your time. There really isn't a thing like that in America. You are forever BRANDED felon.
No, I just responded to your crying about how tough life is for a felon by saying that it isn't hard to not be a felon no matter what color you are. Life has always been unfair to some people who make mistakes, and not unfair to others usually family wealth has a lot to do with it.

I wouldn't be opposed to legislation that makes life easier for nonviolent felons, but I get tired of people crying about how unfair it is.

ricepig

Put a little Karo syrup on that sandwich, and you have it right!

southarkhog06

Quote from: Smokehouse on May 23, 2016, 01:23:43 pm
You'd be surprised.

Any stats other than a civil liberty attorney opinion on how often these things happen. Some of the things on that list are misdemeanors so the title is misleading.

Finally, my point was never that the govt. isn't overbearing and too powerful, that I agree with. My point is that Pokey cries too much.

southarkhog06

Quote from: ricepig on May 23, 2016, 01:31:41 pm
Put a little Karo syrup on that sandwich, and you have it right!
if I wanted to get knocked upside the head. that was for recipes only.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 23, 2016, 11:05:46 am
wth are you talking about? Nobody even said that. You are crawfishin bad.
What are you talking about?  AugustaHog said he hit the girl "repeatedly".  He did not.  HogLady insinuated that he is a "woman beater".  He is not.  And everyone on here is crowing that Bielema would have kicked him off the team and that the punishment was not sufficient.  Maybe he would or maybe he wouldn't.  But my point is what does it accomplish by kicking him off the team when every one of us knows he would be on a roster within the year.  And he was, in fact, punished.

DMacKnows insinuated that Mixon didn't pay his own way for the year.  He doesn't know that. 

And never once have I defended the action itself.  Just tell the truth when you talk about the story.  is that too difficult?

ricepig

Quote from: southarkhog06 on May 23, 2016, 01:42:15 pm
if I wanted to get knocked upside the head. that was for recipes only.

That's how my Grandma kept us happy, of course, the sugar rush had us bouncing off the walls. Sometimes we'd have to settle on butter/sugar/cinammon sandwiches.......

southarkhog06

Quote from: ricepig on May 23, 2016, 01:48:35 pm
That's how my Grandma kept us happy, of course, the sugar rush had us bouncing off the walls. Sometimes we'd have to settle on butter/sugar/cinammon sandwiches.......
Man I thought it was Christmas on days when I woke up and mom was making that then toasting them in the oven.

I didn't even know we were poor till I got older and became a sh**head.

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on May 23, 2016, 01:43:17 pm
What are you talking about?  AugustaHog said he hit the girl "repeatedly".  He did not.  HogLady insinuated that he is a "woman beater".  He is not.  And everyone on here is crowing that Bielema would have kicked him off the team and that the punishment was not sufficient.  Maybe he would or maybe he wouldn't.  But my point is what does it accomplish by kicking him off the team when every one of us knows he would be on a roster within the year.  And he was, in fact, punished.

DMacKnows insinuated that Mixon didn't pay his own way for the year.  He doesn't know that. 

And never once have I defended the action itself.  Just tell the truth when you talk about the story.  is that too difficult?
In your opinion, how many different times do you have to beat a woman before you are a "woman beater"?

oldhawg

He knocked the lady unconscious and broke her face with one punch.  What would be the purpose of continuing to pummel her?  Does the law state that you have to knock out more than one lady to be called a woman beater?

texhog22

Quote from: Luke STYwalker on May 20, 2016, 10:51:35 am
So if your a bigger tougher man than me, I have the right to hit you and you can't do anything about it because your bigger and stronger than me?  Uh no, how bout I just be smart enough to not go there with you.        Common sense has to be included in there somewhere.
So......according to your logic it would be justifiable if he did the exact same thing to a child.

oldhawg

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on May 23, 2016, 10:58:10 am

Use the results of the investigation to determine if the player should be summarily released from the team or rehabilitated.

Not the University of Arkansas's responsibility, but there should be significant restitution and damages paid to the lady.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: oldhawg on May 23, 2016, 02:11:54 pm
Not the University of Arkansas's responsibility, but there should be significant restitution and damages paid to the lady.

A former Razorback while he was on the team was DUI and ran a lady and her child of the road and they flipped and skidded upside down into the woods.  Not much at all was done about it by the U and HDN testified on his behalf at the civil trial.  The Lady was hurt pretty bad and still has several problems associated with the incident.  Yo this day he hasn't paid a tenth(last report) of what was court ordered despite a seven year pro career.  He also ran from the accident but had a blowout later down the road.   

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Karma on May 23, 2016, 01:52:56 pm
In your opinion, how many different times do you have to beat a woman before you are a "woman beater"?
I don't know, but I would certainly say one, seemingly isolated event in this kid's life doesn't make him a "woman beater"  Would you want to be defined by a single episode that happened at some time in your life.  Especially when you were 19 years old? 

oldhawg

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on May 23, 2016, 02:19:21 pm
A former Razorback while he was on the team was DUI and ran a lady and her child of the road and they flipped and skidded upside down into the woods.  Not much at all was done about it by the U and HDN testified on his behalf at the civil trial.  The Lady was hurt pretty bad and still has several problems associated with the incident.  Yo this day he hasn't paid a tenth(last report) of what was court ordered despite a seven year pro career.  He also ran from the accident but had a blowout later down the road.   

Things like this leave me speechless.  I would like to think that a greater sense of intrinsic responsibility would prevail, regardless of the ages of everyone involved ---- obviously that's not always the case.  I just can see no reason for not taking responsibility for your own actions, especially when they can so profoundly affect the lives of others.  Something my grandparents, with whom I lived most of my childhood life, preached over and over ---- you, and only you, are ultimately responsible for your actions.  I'm getting wound up, so I'll step down off my high horse and "read more and post less."

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on May 23, 2016, 02:35:03 pm
I don't know, but I would certainly say one, seemingly isolated event in this kid's life doesn't make him a "woman beater"  Would you want to be defined by a single episode that happened at some time in your life.  Especially when you were 19 years old? 
If that one time was beating a woman then yes.  You know the old joke, "you f$@$ one goat . . . "

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: oldhawg on May 23, 2016, 02:35:11 pm
Things like this leave me speechless.  I would like to think that a greater sense of intrinsic responsibility would prevail, regardless of the ages of everyone involved ---- obviously that's not always the case.  I just can see no reason for not taking responsibility for your own actions, especially when they can so profoundly affect the lives of others.  Something my grandparents, with whom I lived most of my childhood life, preached over and over ---- you, and only you, are ultimately responsible for your actions.  I'm getting wound up, so I'll step down off my high horse and "read more and post less."
i'm with you. I don't understand why Nutt would be defending him at trial or why he wouldn't pay off his restitution. That's ridiculous.
@Slackaveli

ricepig

Sounds like she needed a better lawyer, the courts sided for her, correct?

hogcard1964

Was that Carlos Hall?

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ricepig on May 23, 2016, 02:46:12 pm
yeah she won. The problem is the collection. Me and my cousins/sisters sued and won 1.2 mill from our grandpa's estate that was stolen by the trustee and it's been 4 years so far since the ruling. He has paid a total of 20,000. Collection is super hard if you are dealing with an [CENSORED].
@Slackaveli

ricepig

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 23, 2016, 03:17:36 pm
yeah she won. The problem is the collection. Me and my cousins/sisters sued and won 1.2 mill from our grandpa's estate that was stolen by the trustee and it's been 4 years so far since the ruling. He has paid a total of 20,000. Collection is super hard if you are dealing with an [CENSORED].

Well, if the accident and judgment were before his pro days, or even during, they should have garnished his salary to pay the judgment. In your case, unfortunately, that's the ole "can't get blood out of a turnip".....

Smokehouse

Quote from: southarkhog06 on May 23, 2016, 01:41:08 pm
Any stats other than a civil liberty attorney opinion on how often these things happen. Some of the things on that list are misdemeanors so the title is misleading.

Finally, my point was never that the govt. isn't overbearing and too powerful, that I agree with. My point is that Pokey cries too much.

There's plenty of stats out there provided by a whole lot of groups on over-criminalization. Cato, FAMM (Families Against Mandatory Minimums) and The Sentencing Project are a few I like to frequent. Those were just a few articles I recalled off the top of my head. I can go find more if you want, but then this is just going to turn into a link party.

Regardless, if you agree the government is too powerful and overbearing then it's just semantics. You only get too overbearing by asserting your power and all state action eventually comes back to the police and prosecutors. Unless you think the government is at a reasonable amount of involvement in people's lives, then by necessity people are getting caught up in that and treated a certain way when they shouldn't be.

This is going down a rabbit hole that's not exactly pertinent to the thread, though.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: ricepig on May 23, 2016, 02:46:12 pm

I don't know much about how the Lawyer got paid but it does sound like a pretty sorry effort on behalf of his clients.  I know the Lady and her husband didn't want to come off as vengeful but I can tell you her father was ready to cut someone head of for hurting his daughter.  At this point I think they have moved on and stopped wasting their life worrying about it.

nchogg

Quote from: Axlehog on May 21, 2016, 10:51:39 pm
When I read or hear of a story about a piece of trash man beating a woman or a child, I think, "Where do these [censored] come from?" After reading this thread, I now know.
I don't know how old you are. I will say he was wrong. I had a friend in Junior High and his father would make him kneel in front of him while he hit him in the face with a fist. He also beat his mother and sister. His sister married and mother divorced once all the children were out of the house. I learned after I moved from Arkansas that my friend would beat his wife. That was learned from childhood and was never addressed with him. I am not defending what Mixon or my friend did and I have and will not ever do that. Have not seen him in 42 years but was very disappointed when I learned he went down that path. I hope he has changed his path.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ricepig on May 23, 2016, 03:25:40 pm
Well, if the accident and judgment were before his pro days, or even during, they should have garnished his salary to pay the judgment. In your case, unfortunately, that's the ole "can't get blood out of a turnip".....
that's the way he's playing it for sure.
@Slackaveli

Pork Twain

The good ole HDN days.  Man what a piece of garbage.

southarkhog06

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 23, 2016, 09:08:29 pm
that's the way he's playing it for sure.
I know I have disagreed with you in this thread but man I feel for you on this, I have a good buddy going through this with a passed father and the psycho wench his father recently divorced.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Pork Twain on May 24, 2016, 08:42:25 am
The good ole HDN days.  Man what a piece of garbage.

If it hits you, you sure don't want the football coach getting involved that way.  From what I understood once he got involved the seriousness of the trial went out the window.  Imagine that!

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: southarkhog06 on May 24, 2016, 09:46:38 am
I know I have disagreed with you in this thread but man I feel for you on this, I have a good buddy going through this with a passed father and the psycho wench his father recently divorced.
yeah, sucks for our kids. college money and what-not.
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: southarkhog06 on May 23, 2016, 01:27:53 pm
No, I just responded to your crying about how tough life is for a felon by saying that it isn't hard to not be a felon no matter what color you are. Life has always been unfair to some people who make mistakes, and not unfair to others usually family wealth has a lot to do with it.

I wouldn't be opposed to legislation that makes life easier for nonviolent felons, but I get tired of people crying about how unfair it is.
check this out, though.
http://www.vice.com/read/america-incarcerated-0000765-v22n10?utm_source=vicefbus&utm_campaign=global
@Slackaveli